Trattoria di Monica
67 Prince St
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Trattoria di Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.monicasboston.com/
- Phone: 6177205472
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick and Frank Mendoza
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Trattoria di Monica
Trattoria di Monica is located in the heart of Boston's North End. At the corner of Prince and Salem Streets, you will find this small 25 seat candlelit dining room with colorful walls and original artwork. Chef-owners Patrick, Frank, and Jorge Mendoza serve homemade pastas with an imaginative twist, prepared with locally grown produce, New England seafood, and Imported Ingredients from the North End's best salumeria, Monica's Mercato.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Trattoria di Monica - Best Restaurants in North End ›
Trattoria di Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (118)fit for foodies (84)romantic (69)special occasion (52)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (17)hot spot (13)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)good for groups (1)Show More
- Excellent North End OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Far enough off Hanover Street that it doesn't feel quite so touristy. Yes, there's a wait, but it's the North End. There's always gonna be a wait, even when you have reservations. The tiny bathroom is in the kitchen and would probably turn many off - but it's rather charming in a tiny venue such as this. Food was great (and a huge amount), staff was top notch, and a fantastic wine list. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Charming Italian RestaurantbostongirlDined on 8/19/2014Delicious food and wonderful cozy atmosphere. Great selection of food and wine.Special Features:
- Summer lunchCGadDined on 8/17/2014My teens and I were spending a special day before the start of school. Trattoria di Monica was a perfect start to a fun day in Boston. Food was great with many seafood specials, and the small intimate setting with tables near the wide open windows added to the festive mood of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End Gem!BostonSuburbDinerDined on 8/16/2014Two friends and I celebrated a birthday with dinner here last night. It was amazing! We had a 7:30pm reservation and waited for about 15 minutes for a table to open. This wasn't a big deal to us since it is a small restaurant and people were enjoying their meals. The food was amazing! We started with the spinach bruschetta, which is one of THE best things that I had tasted in quite some time. For my entree I ordered scallops with linguine. I requested traditional linguine over the black linguine and the chef was happy to oblige. The scallops were perfectly carmelized. Each bite was savored! They have a nice selection of wines and thr service was friendly and quick.Special Features:
- over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014We waited 25 minutes for our 7:00 reservation. The food was very expensive for what it was; the Bruschetta at $9.00 was laking anything special to warrant that price. The waitresses were inattentive and filled with attitude. We won't go back.
- OutstandingBostonstrongVIPDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding . We have never been disappointed . Our favorite place. You can also bring home the best Italian sandwich in the city from their "other" place. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantfoodloverDined on 8/15/2014Although there are many great restaurants in the North End, this one is truly worth the trip. A quite spot away from the bustle of Hanover Street, the food and service are both outstanding, the ambiance is nice and cozy, and it is overall just an excellent experience.Special Features:
- Take a chanceAlwaysintroubleDined on 8/14/2014The service and the ambiance was really nice. My wife and I had great expectations. We heard only good things about this restaurant. My wife ordered primavera with spinach fettuccine in a white wine sauce however, it came in a red sauce. I looked forward to my dish of calamari puttanesca and was a little disappointed. The spaghetti was cooked perfectly however, the sauce was pasty and a little fishy in taste. The appetizer(panzerotti) was delicious and the Cesar salad with white anchovies was excellent. Perhaps it was a bad day for the pasta chef. I will give it another try when I take my next trip to Boston.Special Features:
- Lovely meal with a friendWestEndGalDined on 8/11/2014A friend and I had a lovely meal here on Monday night. Our 7:30 pm reservation was honored immediately, which was a good thing. The restaurant is charming but tiny, so if your table isn't ready, you must wait on the street. Even at 7:30 on a Monday the place was completely full. The food and service were quite good (we had ordered a bottle of wine which was clearly "corked" and sent it back without any fuss - very pleasant server). Overall it was a very pleasant experience. Note: the tables are very close together and the noise level is quite high, so not really a place for a romantic meal, nor a business meeting, but a perfect spot to share a meal and a "chin wag" with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMikeDined on 8/11/2014Four of us went for a celebration. Food was not as good as other we've had in the North End, despite the high ranking in Zagat. VERY tight seating, chair backs touching those at next table. Noisy. Waitress didn't tell us all of the specials, overheard other waitress. No attention to detail, right down to the dead, unwatered plants out front when neighbors' were lush and covered with flowers.
- Excellent!Ba14Dined on 8/5/2014Very small place in the North End. Great service, amazing food, nice ambiance. Try to sit by the open window!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in North EndpoleindcDined on 8/3/2014This is one of the better restaurants in North End. They clearly pay attention to the food and yet all is done in a casual and neighborhood atmosphere. Enough said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable dining experience!Dina210Dined on 8/2/2014Celebrated our 20th anniversary in Boston & Monica's was recommended to us by the local bartender near our hotel. This was one of the most delicious meals I've ever had & the atmosphere was absolutely perfect! Exactly what we were looking for. We hope to visit again one day! Until then, I'll be searching for similar dining experiences wherever I may roam!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014Certainly a North End favorite. Food is always great and the wine list has something to suit everyone. Service is always friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- What a disappointment!FranDined on 7/28/2014I was excited to take my husband to the highest rated Italian in the North End on our trip to Boston. The food was very good - not a 28 by any means - but the ambience is AWFUL - 10 tables crowded together in a tiny, incredibly loud room, and my vista was a view of the kitchen. But the worst part was the indifferent and incredibly slow service. We waited almost 30 minutes after ordering, and then our salads came out before our appetizer. When we asked about the appetizer it appeared immediately. It took about 90 minutes to be served three courses which might have been nice if the atmosphere was better. Our dirty appetizer plates remained on the table through the meal. Avoid this place unless all you care about is fresh pasta!
- HueMannDined on 7/26/2014Disembarked ferry after a day of cycling on Cape. Ferry ran late on a beautiful Saturday evening. Phoned restaurant, based upon reviews, was told they were booked for the evening. Checked OT on my phone, saw a 7pm OT (it was 6:43pm) and booked it. Amazing! Pumpkin ravioli was delicious as was my wife's chicken. Good Panna water that, unlike many other restaurants, was not too cold. Bruschetta was tasty and wondefully fresh arugula salad with pear (sliced perfectly carpaccio-like thin) and orange. Bread was standard with standard olive oil (the bread and oil were the only average components of the meal itself but who wants to fill up on bread). Wine was fine. Server was nice, service a bit rushed, but normal for the north End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodmsjuliaDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant is great for 2-4 people. It is VERY small. Food was terrific and authentic. Our server was wonderful and helpful with recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodChippyDined on 7/24/2014Tight corridors but wonderful ambiance, food and service. We had a hard time not ordering EVERYTHING on the menu! Excellent specials including unique bruschetta and prosciutto wrapped dates-- YUM! The wine list was OUT OF SIGHT amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, for the neighborhoodKimmyd54Dined on 7/21/2014Food was good. tables very close together, especially for parties of two. Service was a bit slow though and I couldn't understand why. Yes the place was packed but the tables seemed to be coming in steadily and not all at one time. The food was good but I don't know if I'd go back with all the other food options in the neighborhood, and actually we only went here because someone gave us a gift certificateSpecial Features:
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014we went before a concert. we shared nightly special salad, appetizer, and entrée and everything was excellent!Special Features:
- Great Italian GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014I had the Ravioli di Funghi and it was fantastic. Bruschetta is also a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was my birthday ...BobSDined on 7/12/2014... and my wife and I like to dine in the North End on that occasion. She asks a friend who live there to recommend top dining spots, and Monica's was one suggested. We chose it because she said it was quiet. The noise level was OK (we could have done without the Stones' "Brown Sugar:). But the food made up for any annoyance. The service sparkled. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSallyDined on 7/11/2014Great time -- and the food was amazing. Nice, friendly staff. We had to wait a long time for a table though. (Forgot to say that my reservation was through Open Table--hope that doesn't matter.)Special Features:
- lgharborDined on 7/10/2014Amazing food, but even with a reservation still waited for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/9/2014Waited 45 minutes for a table we had reserved. Watched locals get seated without reservations. We won't be back. Better places in North end.
- Not Worthy of the HypeTinaKDined on 7/7/2014Rather disappointed in this place. The noise level was so loud that we couldn't have a conversation. Their caesar salad was excellent. Their spaghetti carbonara was excellent. Their mussels were not flavorful enough. Their nightly special (sweet-potatoe gnocchi) was not good. I've enjoyed their sister restaurant "Vinotecci di Monica" many times.
- nice waitress + setting, bland foodwinerdinerDined on 7/6/2014Went for my girlfriends birthday. We were excited to eat a tasty meal without concern of price. The waitress was nice and the setting intimate, but the food was a big disappointment. The bruschetta came out burnt. When we (very politely) asked about it, the answer was "we char our bruschetta here." Huh? I ordered the special sweet potato gnocchi and my girlfriend got the veal. My gnocchi was bland and tasteless. My girlfriend's veal was too, and the two small pieces were nested on top of green linguine with tomato sauce that looked like something I would make at home in 15 minutes. Again, the experience overall wasn't that bad, but when you're paying ~110 for two entrees and an app, you expect good quality food. At least the wine was good.
- food/staff excellentdwtbnDined on 7/5/2014On a busy busy Saturday we decided to try this restaurant for the first time. Not only was the food delicious but the waitstaff was a pleasure -- crazy busy but they were all in sync with each other especially given the extremely tight quarters. Always a smile on their face even when a party of 4 at the door was upset they had to wait a bit more for their table -- note that this restaurant has @10 tables - very hard to seat people exactly at the time of the reservation -- although we lucked out seeing as there was 2 of us. Pasta was all homemade and very tasty - not a drop left on either of our plates - my hubby had chicken piccata over angel hair & I had shrimp special over tomato fettucini with goat cheese, asparagus & cherry tomatoes.Special Features:
- Great spot!NewbieDined on 6/28/2014Went to Trattoria di Monica after searching for cozy, well-reviewed places in the North End. I took an out-of-town friend, aiming to introduce her to the neighborhood. We were seated not too long after our reservation time, and the food was great! The tables are all quite close together, so it feels a bit like you're dining with 20 or 30 friends. I loved that it was so small and intimate.Special Features:
- Late SeatingTagsVIPDined on 6/28/2014My only real complaint is with how late we were seated after our reservation. We had an 8:45 time and didn't get seat until at least 9:20.
- GreatPhilyfobDined on 6/28/2014Wonderful place, going back! Great food, service outstanding.Special Features:
- Tasty TrattoriaDanP330Dined on 6/28/2014Outstanding food in a perfect small neighborhood hide-awaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerKevinDined on 6/27/2014Was very happy with ambiance and food. Waitress was great. Small and cozy place.Special Features:
- Excellent NorthEnd spotFredandMableDined on 6/25/2014We had a great time here. Fortunately we had made reservations - no chance of getting in without them. Excellent enthusiastic server with a sense of humor, al dente pasta made at the restaurant, very reasonable and diverse wine list. Its placement off of crowded Hanover Street also helped. We will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal great servicedebDVIPDined on 6/24/2014Had an enjoyable meal here catching up with college roommates, the staff did not hurry us to order. We ordered 2 appetizer specials, a bruschetta with mozerrella, pesto and tomato and fried zucchini blossoms. Dinner I had a scallop and pasta dish which was also a special. Definitely would come back if in the area.Special Features:
- Authentic food.EatingOut42Dined on 6/22/2014Simple, elegant cooking that's true to its Italian roots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First day of summer 2014HalandMaryDined on 6/21/2014Arrive early because it only has seats for 33. Iit was full by 5:15 pm. The Insalata Mista salad had a very flavorful dressing which I will try to replicate at home. Everything was excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing!!swfoodieDined on 6/19/2014This is definitely one of my favorite spots not only in the North End, but in Boston! Food is always amazing, and I love the cozy atmosphere. Be sure to make reservations, or you will be waiting a long time (but oh so worth the wait!!)!! Love it.Special Features:
- luv2eatDined on 6/19/2014Nice little restaurant; took my daughter here for her 18th birthday; nice ambiance and great food. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New Favorite!savhgemDined on 6/17/2014This was our second visit to Monica's and we felt confident enough from our first visit to take a friend from out of town. Like the previous time, we left feeling "aren't we lucky to have finally found this restaurant!" Our two appetizers - artichoke and a bruschetta topped with fried egg - were wonderful to share, as were the entrees. Both times we've tried one of the intriguing daily specials (quite a few to choose from) and then something else from the main menu and have been delighted with both. We've gone during the mid-week both times and both times found the place hopping' and fun with nice folks giving very good service, only wish had a little more space between tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.