Trattoria di Monica
67 Prince St
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Trattoria di Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.monicasboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 720-5472
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick and Frank Mendoza
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Trattoria di Monica
Trattoria di Monica is located in the heart of Boston's North End. At the corner of Prince and Salem Streets, you will find this small 25 seat candlelit dining room with colorful walls and original artwork. Chef-owners Patrick, Frank, and Jorge Mendoza serve homemade pastas with an imaginative twist, prepared with locally grown produce, New England seafood, and Imported Ingredients from the North End's best salumeria, Monica's Mercato.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trattoria di Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (113)fit for foodies (86)romantic (58)special occasion (45)notable wine list (31)hot spot (20)great for lunch (8)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/24/2014north end gem...unbelievable nightly specials..more than you would think for a small quaint place...check out the cheese and meat shop across the street alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will definitely go back againVizzyVIPDined on 11/22/2014Great little restaurant with excellent food and warm and friendly service and atmosphere. We'll go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MH928Dined on 11/14/2014The restaurant was small in size but big in atmosphere.The service was fabulous.Small ,tightly packed,busy and loud.It all worked!. Great place,great food,great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very impressed!!bhardy84Dined on 11/9/2014Amazing Italian food!!! We got the spaghetti carbonara and mushroom risotto. This was the best Italian food we had ever had!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sticky pastaLiverdocVIPDined on 11/9/2014I had heard positive comments about the food and was anticipating the occasion. The space is small and when you arrive for your reservation, you stand on the sidewalk (at least it wasn't raining or very cold). The calamari fritti and bruschetta special were very good. The funghi ravioli with porcini sauge was lovely. However, the shrimp special with asparagus and tomato pasta was awful. The pasta was stuck together in a gooey mess, surprising for a family Italian eatery. Given the seating limitations, it's difficult to consider a revisit or strong recommendation.Special Features:
- Shhhh... Don't Tell Anyone!LovinitVIPDined on 11/8/2014Neighborhood Gem... Recommend it to anyone that values a good meal, great service, and friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic spot in No. EndmagpiebostonDined on 11/8/2014We've been here several times over the last few years. It is not a romantic place, but the food and the ambience are fun and lively. The wait-staff has always been great and last weekend was no different. The best part of our evening was when Jimmy Fallon came in to dine. He was so awesome to everyone in the restaurant. A memorable night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a romantic dinner!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014This restaurant was one that my boyfriend and I have been wanting to try for a while now. So we went there to celebrate my birthday and it was amazing! The service was great despite how small the restaurant is and even though we were at an awkward table for the waitress to get to, we were very happy with the service. The food here is incredible!! Both my boyfriend and my dishes were delicious, we both thought ours was better than the other persons. This restaurant gives a cozy and romantic feel with a great ambiance and amazing food. Definitely try this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineOutOftenVIPDined on 11/5/2014Trattoria de Monica was my favorite restaurant in the North End until now. There are so many tables that the waitress could not get around the room, the noise level was so high that we could not talk, and the food was heavy with Italian red sauce. This poor quality is not the di Monica we have been used to. Over the years it has gotten more crowded and noisy, but the food has always been spectacular. This tomato paste laden putinesca lacked any resemblance to their light, picante putinesca of the past. However, the prices are higher than ever. Do they have a new chef or are they trying to cut cost or prep time? Too bad... We won't be back again...Special Features:
- Great foodPen1234Dined on 11/4/2014We had an excellent meal, with friendly service. It is very cosy and clearly very popular. We would recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalItalianFoodLoverDined on 11/1/2014From the service, to the food, to the atmosphere and the friendly people, this restaurant could not get any better. The food was exceptional. Cannot go wrong with any item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston Wedding WeekendIrishdiverDined on 10/31/2014Fabulous dinner on Halloween night in the Boston Italian north end. Created non-menu item for me (veal Marsala). Good sized portions and excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningeeetDined on 10/31/2014Delicious food, attentive and pleasant wait-staff, colorful atmosphere. We were here early on Halloween night and loved the neighborhood feel, kids trick or treating, a nice glass of wine on a cold evening. The 3 of us were happy with appetizers (bruscetta), salad (arugula) and our entrees. What others say is true: try the squash ravioli and the seasonal gnocchi--fabulous. The staff happily turned down the sound system when asked, the place filled up quickly and the entire room seemed in a festive mood. A lovely way to spend an evening in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it! wonderful menu; deliciousHaybale123Dined on 10/30/2014OpenTable booking made it easy to get in here. Small venue with lots of energy from fellow guests and the staff. Menu was broad and the daily specials were a multitude. Just a wonderful meal. Wait staff was omni-present and very helpful. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End ClassicBlackstoneDined on 10/26/2014Monica's Trattoria is a wonderful restaurant that offers both Italian classics as well as new ideas. The ingredients are fresh and tasty, spiced exactly according to the Chef's expectations. During this visit the entire table enjoyed several different new appetizers (bruschetta with egg) and shrimp dishes. They were all incredible. The specials are truly 'special'. We've been coming here for ten years. It's a restaurant that the family uses to celebrate special moments. The food, atmosphere, and noise levels make this one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I lived in BostonPDXvistorDined on 10/20/2014This was the best meal I have had in ages. The spinach gnocchi was perfect! My husband and son came to Boston a week later to tour colleges and I sent them for dinner too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not that greatBeachwoodDined on 10/19/2014nice atmosphere, friendly waitresses -- grilled calamari salad was good -- bruschetta was ok -- but my spinach gnocchis were absolutely the WORST gnocchis I've ever had -- hard, rubbery pellets with no flavor, no salt, topped with a wild boar sauce that should have been full of flavor but really didn't add much of anything. I wouldn't try this restaurant again -- with all the other Italian places to try in the North End -- they should probably take this dish off the menu. our waitress never came back to check (some salt would have helped!) and we ended up paying $26 for a tasteless dish that we didn't eat. bummer.
- Wonderful experienceWilliefoodieDined on 10/17/2014The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The restaurant was small and compact. The food was fresh and flavorful. Thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Looking forward to going back next time.Special Features:
- A real hidden gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Food was great, service impeccable and place is really one of a kind. Small but very quaint!Special Features:
- Real italianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014All of our food was delicious. From the bruschetta to fresh, homemade pasta. Real Italian, not the usual American Italian that so many restaurants have begun selling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014The quality of food and presentation is outstanding and original! Great sense of arrival - welcoming and seasonal! Keep up the great work, can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of the North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014Our party of 3 ate at Monica's on Saturday, October 4. The service and food were outstanding and creative - dates with gorgonzola, fried zucchini flowers, pumpkin ravioli, sweet potato gnocchi - all were awesome! I've eaten in a number of restaurants in the North End and this is by far my favorite. It's a very small place, though, so reservations are a must unless you don't mind waiting outside a while for a table.Special Features:
- Worst dining experience everKthaileyDined on 10/3/2014Waited 45 minutes to be seated (like a dummy) even though we had a reservation. Once seated it took another 10 minutes to get waited on. Four of us dined there and only one of us enjoyed our meal. My sister in law did not eat three bites of her meal and told the waitress it was horrible. The server didn't apologize or offer to change out the meal or take it off of her check. I cannot say enough that nothing about this place was good. The tiny, cramped super-loud atmosphere just added to the misery. Absolutely horrible. I have never in 46 years not left a tip for a server. Until 2 nights ago.
- A Northend gemMythoughtsDined on 9/29/2014We love going to Trattoria di Monica. The waitresses are attentive, the food consistency fresh and delicious, and the menu always is enhanced by a variety of specials. The ambiance is relaxed and warm. Definitely a must experencein the Northend.Special Features:
- Visitor from the West CoastDanvillefoodieDined on 9/28/2014I had the veal piccata and it was absolutely wonderful. There are only 32 seats in this restaurant and the two waitresses do a great job of everything with spirit and humor. All the flavor of the north end at a very reasonable price. Lots of fun.Special Features:
- hit and miss with this placeJaysVIPDined on 9/28/2014on the way to our favorite place in the N. End we decided to try a new place, we ordered the stuffed squash bloosoms which were great, but service was slow and it was only 3:15 so it wasnt busy. My ceasar salad and chicken rice soup tasted good but the rice was a bit undercooked. The big disappointment was in the pasta and sauce, it says fresh made daily but it didnt taste like it. The sauces were bland and lack luster. The Chicken Cacciatore was a huge disappointment, there was next to no chicken and barely enough peppers to call this a cacciatore. Service was mediaocre as well and the waitress didnt come check to see how things were. Maybe it wa an off day but I doubt we will go back.
- DinnerdglepusDined on 9/20/2014One of the best North End meals we have had in a while. A must visit if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best View in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Trust your waiter. If you ask, he will very politely tell you if you should pick another item. Our waiter was a lovely man who was gracious and polite and did not hover but gave great service. Eat the spinach salad with the balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I could have just eaten that! My hubby loved the double bacon, tomato salad.Special Features:
- Nice, small place with good foodPC123Dined on 9/13/2014The service was excellent, the food was good and the place although it is small was very nice and romanticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny but terrificZebrahDined on 9/11/2014A fun little spot- great friendly service...definitely suggest making a reservation! We did and were seated timely! Food was fresh, flavorful and looked great too. ( my husband especially enjoyed the 3 course special - really loved the spinach gnocchi with pork ragu. I had a wonderful arugula salad with pears/citrus and the scallop with pappardelle - was truly delicious but the pasta could have been cooked slightly more - a little too dense for my liking. Enjoyed nonetheless!). Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really wanted to give 4 stars,butMoocowDined on 9/7/2014This is a VERY small restaurant. But ran like a fine oiled machine. The tables are very close together, so no romantic notions here. I really loved the staff and the service. My pasta was just ok. I like el dente, but this was too much to the tooth. The specials are where you should order from. The other entree at our table was super! The veal piccata was perfect. So fresh, we could hear the kitchen pounding it out.Special Features:
- Too hot to eatBillDined on 9/6/2014Of all restaurants to book in the north end over a month in advance, I chose this one for a birthday weekend dinner highlight. Remember, I booked over a month in advanced and while the place is small (10 tables maybe), the best location they could save for us was right next to the entry to the kitchen and service area. To boot, the temperature in the place was 93 degrees. Have you ever tried to enjoy a fine Italian dinner in 93 degrees? We were told that the AC was out...ya think! My GF has Pumpkin Ravioli which she said was good and I have wheat pasta with shrimp which was ok. The servers were pleasant so that was positive. I was disappointed with my diner experience to say the least. So much for booking more than a month in advance
- thanks open tabletravelersVIPDined on 9/4/2014Not on any top 10 list for visitors, which were all booked for evening, found this gem available via open table search. Interesting menu, even more interesting specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious late night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Awesome food! Food was fresh and was timely. Very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitNitewithoutkidsDined on 8/29/2014Good service- the waitress was super cute and attentive. We had 9 pm reservations but not so much- as true to other reviews- very very small place and our reservation sat 45 mins late-table for 2. You just can't expect to be on time. We enjoyed our specials sweet potato gnocchi and scallops with walnuts and pesto. Will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monica's girls and the food are itEagleVIPDined on 8/28/2014crowded, sat down 40 minutes after reservation time and then...wow! the young women taking care of us (one waitress but all her waitress friends were pitching in), efficient, fun, informative, knowledgeable and just downright nice (and honest). Food was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BostonianDined on 8/26/201411st time. Shrimp, garlic& capellini. Fair,not much flavor but pasta w/salt & pepper very good. Little disappointed. Bruschetta was fabulous!! I'll give it another try I think.
- Excellent FoodOnBostonHarborDined on 8/25/2014Consistently in the first rank of all the North End restaurants and in Boston. This is a lick-your-plate restaurant and its informal enough that you can (and probably will)Special Features:
- Excellent North End OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Far enough off Hanover Street that it doesn't feel quite so touristy. Yes, there's a wait, but it's the North End. There's always gonna be a wait, even when you have reservations. The tiny bathroom is in the kitchen and would probably turn many off - but it's rather charming in a tiny venue such as this. Food was great (and a huge amount), staff was top notch, and a fantastic wine list. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Charming Italian RestaurantbostongirlDined on 8/19/2014Delicious food and wonderful cozy atmosphere. Great selection of food and wine.Special Features: