7 East Bay Street
Savannah, GA 31401Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tondees.com/
- Phone: 9123417427
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: James Taff
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Will cater your parties offsite with a variety of menu options specificly designed for the customer
- Private Party Facilities: Down stairs banquet room available. Seats 50 people and was the hub of the slave trading industry in the mid 1800"s. Proven to be a haunted area and lots of history. Perfect venue to host your special event
- Private Party Contact: Desi G. 6174800840
A word from Tondee's Tavern
Tondee's Tavern is located in haunted and very historic building in downtown Savannah. Origionally built in the 1850's as the bank for the central rail road of Geogia and later occupied by General Shermans forces on their historic march to the sea.Tondee's is known for their award winning fall of the bone Baby Back Ribs, that some travelers have discribed as "the best in the world." Also offered daily is local seafood and hand cut steaks that are made with Savannahs own local flavor. Tondee's is locally owned and also boast "Savannah's best Hamburger" that is again made daily with fresh ingredients. Great lunch specials, family friendly, local fresh daily, Happy hour 4-7 Monday thru Thursday. We will see you at Tondee's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tondee's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (6)neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- telajVIPDined on 9/3/2014First time there...service was outstanding and food was good. Accommodated gluten allergy.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD GREAT SERVICELoveCfoodDined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious! Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great taste of the sea. The service was great as well, it is apparent that they love their job and enjoy giving you the best experience possible. Would definitely return in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBTerneswDined on 8/19/2014The food was great. Had a great time. Would recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serviceGoodEatsDined on 8/1/2014The service here is amazing. The food was icing on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceMarneMPDined on 7/25/2014My bride and I thought Tondee's Tavern was outstanding. We had the stuffed flounder and rack of ribs on the restaurant week menu. We also had the fried green tomatoes and pulled pork bruschetta appetizers. All were great. Our waitress Keya was most attentive as was the staff to include management who stopped by. Dessert was also great. I gave Tondee's five stars on Trip Advisor. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Good ribs.ElizabethDined on 7/24/2014When we first sat down we were in a small booth to the side and my husband felt cramped. We asked to move to a table and they were very accomodating. Both types of rib sauces were very tasty and the meat came off the bone easily. The men had steak medallions, ribs and rib eye steak. Another in our party had stuffed flounder and said it was excellent. Service was friendly and timely. We asked for the bill to be split in half for each couple and they came with everything marked as 1/2. 1/2 margarita, 1/2 rib dinner, etc., very funny to look at. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fish Sandwich was an A+OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014The fish sandwich that one of us ordered was excellent! Exceptional! Unfortunately, on the other hand, I would not recommend the crab cake sandwich. Two of the three of us at our table ordered the crab cake sandwich. Both of us only took a couple of bites from the crab cake sandwich and that was it! The crab cake was mushy and bland. Very disappointing. We did not complain to the manager about the crab cake sandwich because we figured it was our bad choice in selecting a menu item. Later during our trip to Savannah we had excellent crab cakes at another restaurant which ended up satisfying our craving! The tap beer at Tondee's Tavern was nice and cold! The manager was very friendly and engaging!
- Noisy but good foodRoadwarriorVIPDined on 7/4/2014Went in large group. Everyone was pleased with food except those who had snapper. All soups, salads, shrimp, BBQ, flounder were pleased. Service was good but kitchen was slow. Understand we were a large group but several tables came well after us and were served and left before we got food.Special Features:
- Loved it!BeauBeauchampDined on 6/10/2014My family and I were vacationing in Tybee Island (where there isn't too many places to eat), so we ventured in to Savannah and found this great place! Excellent food and Strawberry Daquiry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish!YummyDined on 6/2/2014Best fish sandwich in town! I had grilled, others had fried and blackened, all were awesome. Onion rings are amazing, fresh crab bisque to die for. $10 lunch that you will love, soo much better than tourist traps on River St or chains on Bay. Also interesting to read history of Tondee on back of menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodacluv15Dined on 5/30/2014It was pretty good. The food was out of this world! It wasn't exactly kid-friendly. The waitresses were not dressed appropriately. They had very short shorts. Their shirts were hiked up, & you could see their belly button! The noise were HORRIBLE! It was an okay experience.Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the Tondee's Tavern reviews archive.
- Good, Solid Choice for DowntownSchocolDined on 5/10/2014If you are looking for good food that's not too expensive in a casual atmosphere then this is a great choice. There is a bar area with TV screens showing sports, but the food is a level above your average sports bar fare. There is a decent sized seating area and its certainly an okay place to bring kids. Our server was really excellent. Very pleasant and efficient and she spent just the right amount of time making sure we had everything we needed. She also explained the history of the building and relayed some of the famous ghost stories. There are so many casual dining choices on River St and Bay St, the so-called 'Tourist' areas, it can be overwhelming. But Tondee's Tavern is a good solid choice with good food and good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2014Good bar food plus. My shrimp was fresh, sides were homemade, drinks were delicious. Service was friendly and professional. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait on a Saturday nightSusanDined on 4/12/2014Our food was average, good selection on the menu, but nothing memorable. The wait time was excruciating. From the time we placed our order to receiving our entrees, we waited over an hour. To be fair, our salads and bread and drink orders arrived promptly, but the kitchen was exceedingly slow with our main meals. I had opted for a 7 pm reservation rather than the 9:00 pm table, I might as well have taken the 9pm reservation and enjoyed historic Savannah in a pre-dinner stroll for two hours!Special Features:
- Great lunch find!CubbieGirlDined on 4/10/2014My husband and I were in town on vacation and were looking for a great place for lunch. We found Tondee's on here and thought we'd give it a try. We were not disappointed!! My husband ordered the ribs. He is normally very picky about ribs, but he LOVED them. He couldn't get over how tender they were, and he loved the macaroni and cheese! I had the crabby patty sandwich, and it too was fantastic. Our server, Brandon, was attentive and friendly. The manager, Angie, even stopped by to check on us. She was helpful and we want to wish her luck on her upcoming move! Definitely go check them out! Great food and friendly staff!Special Features:
- Great Family EnvironmentDom1584Dined on 3/28/2014My husband and our 2 daughters dined at Tondee's Saturday night, and had a wonderful experience all around. The service was very accommodating--the hostess seated us with optimal seating for a high chair and a place to store our gigantic stroller. Our server was outstanding, making sure our drinks were filled constantly and even bringing the girls' food out first as they were getting very cranky and hungry after our long walk along the river. We shared a "Captain's Platter", a delicious sampling of seafood cooked to perfection. The restaurant was very warm and inviting, and decorated for Spring--the kids even got to pick from a basket of Easter eggs on the way out! Overall, we had a fantastic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014I visited Tondee's Tavern a few days ago. It was outstanding! When we arrived our table was already set up for us. Our server came over to greet us right away. She had a great knowledge of the wine list. She even convinced me to try the Simi Cabernet. I had never tried this wine before. I must say I will deffinatly buy a bottle when I get home. I ordered the scallops. I have never had bacon wrapped scallops before. They were delicious. The bacon gave them a better taste then any scallops I have ever had before. For my sides I had red rice and the onion rings. Both were delicious. You could tell that all there food is cooked from scratch. Our waitress was very attentive. My water glass was never empty. I will deffinatly be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Family was Great!food4lifeDined on 3/27/2014I enjoyed a delicious dinner with my boyfriend and mother at Tondee's. My mom enjoyed the grilled salmon. I enjoyed the stuffed flounder and he had the ribs with homemade tangy barbeque. The food was delicious and my server was friendly and knew the menu well. Tondee's is a place to enjoy great food, great service and spending time with company. We all had fun at Tondee's and will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Experience!!hannah11Dined on 3/27/2014My husband wanted Ribs and I just wanted something different. I got the shrimp and grits, they we're to die for. cooked in some sort of wine buttery sauce that t'm dying to replicate for my friends.My husband was making fun of me saying I inhaled my food. He got a FULL RACK of RIBS, they basically fell off the bone, as he demonstrated they we're finger licking good! Our server was very sweet and attentive. Overall we give this place 5 stars!! Food was excellent, service was right on the money. I would recommend this place to anyone!!! Last thing the oysters on the half shell we're ice cold and that homemade cocktail sauce was killer!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 3/23/2014We sent two entrees back (one was too salty and the other was burned to a crisp). Crabcakes were tiny, barely 1/2 inch thick, and had a charred burnt coating. Both were entirely flat. Shrimp and grits looked like gray mush with tiny shrimp and were overly salted (as were my green beans). Received luke warm apology from server, no manager ever came by. You would assume if a table send back 2 entrees (very nicely I might add) one would come make a professional apology, maybe buy a round of drinks? I had to ask for my dill sauce and the snooty table runner rolled her eyes (well it comes with it!) and my nephew had to ask for his fries and was also met with a glare. Horrible value, will never recomment. We are locals.
- Casual Bar RestaurantTravelerDined on 3/15/2014It would be a neighborhood gem but it is right in the middle of all the action. Great place to stop for a quick bite or beer. Service is good and friendly.
- The food was nothing to raveBradVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food was nothing to rave about but the prices were reasonable and our waitress was great!Special Features:
- DisappointedDanielDined on 2/26/2014We made reservations here and were very disappointed when we got there. We were expecting a very historical looking atmosphere and all it looks like is your plain looking Applebee's and the food is the same way. Online it looks amazing but don't let them fool you it is just a mediocre place to eat, very low on my list in Savannah. If your just looking to go somewhere to watch the game it might be ok but for nothing else. All in all I was very disappointed with this restaurant and wouldn't go back.
- just average local spottinkerbellDined on 2/22/2014There are way too many restaurants in the area that service better food. This was merely average, though service and options were good.
- Good Service/Good FoodBuckeyKarmaVIPDined on 2/14/2014A friendly environment with good service and good food.Special Features:
- Poor Dining ExperienceJonathanDined on 2/14/2014It took the waitress 10-15 minutes to acknowledge we were there and that's after I told the hostess no one had served us. My filet was so salty I couldn't eat it and our salads came after our entrees. It ruined my Valentine's dinner with my girlfriend.
- Good seafood in a tavern atmosphereSullmeisterDined on 2/14/2014The seafood was very good, though not creative. Good service, tavern atmosphere.
- Good points and badSavannahlocalDined on 2/4/2014This was my first time dining at Tondee's Tavern. The atmosphere was nice and they had sports on several of the TV's. The server was attentive, but hovered. The salad was good and the Bang shrimp were as good as the national change. However with my main course, the scallops wrapped in bacon were slightly over done as were the mashed potatoes and rice and andouille , whereas I was afraid to eat some of the bacon that was wrapped on the scallops because it was undercooked. The meal finished with pecan pie that tasted like it just came out of a box. In the south, we hold our pecan pie to a higher standard. The amount of food was definitely a value and some of the meals such as ribs looked great. I will give them another chanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyJbozDined on 2/1/2014Really enjoyed the dinner, went as a big group and we all loved it! Very reasonable for the amount of food you get. Would recommend this place and go again.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, Great FooduntaintedVIPDined on 1/25/2014We enjoyed the team environment. Each employee helped one another. They really made us feel welcome. The Homemade Chili was flicks and had just the right amount of kick to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise!SavannahianDined on 1/11/2014Since living in Savannah, we have been to many of their restaurants. We had not tried this restaurant and were in the mood for some seafood and other varieties. We found the food to be better than the average touristy restaurants in the city. The fried shrimp were large and local and a lot for your money! The stuffed flounder could have used more stuffing. It had a good flavor. Shrimp and grits were decent. Have had better at other area restaurants. Calamari was very tender and tasty. Steamed broccoli was the bomb! Didn't try the ribs but I am sure they were wonderful since the restaurant used to be a rib joint before. All in all, we would choose it again without hesitation. Way to go Tondees!! You passed our test!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth the EffortBobbyJVIPDined on 1/1/2014This Place is really nothing special at all. The menu is varied but the execution is subpar. The servers are all very young but are attentive. Frankly, I am surprised that this place is even on Open Table. Will not return.Special Features:
- Group on New Years EveClaireCDined on 12/31/2013We really enjoyed having dinner with our group at Tondee's on New Years Eve. We had a group of 10 and were put in a private room which was nice. The noise level was great - we could actually hear each other talk. Food and drinks were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingVinceDined on 12/28/2013Went there with a group of eight. We made a reservation through Open Table. We arrived on time and were immediately taken to our table. Out server - Brook - was there right away to take drink orders. The service was excellent - the food was excellent and I highly recommend Tondee's for anyone in Savannah. The manager even came over as we were finishing to make sure everything went well, which we confirmed it did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but not great.copenhagenDined on 12/28/2013Food was good but not great. My steak was overly fatty. The service was excellent and the place had a nice vibe and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlowAMvandenHurkVIPDined on 12/27/2013We were there on a Friday night and they seemed to be having issues in the kitchen getting the food out. It took almost an hour from when we ordered to get the meals in front of us. My meal was wrong, so it was sent back. And my husband's onion rings came after he finished his meal. Once the food got out it was good. We all had fried fish, shrimp, and oysters. That was good. The batter was nice. The onion rings were good as a side; however the corn was overcooked.Special Features:
- Poor planningPamelaDined on 12/25/2013Arrived in savannah on Christmas. Very thirsty after our flight and the restaurant had run out of CO2 and had no sodas. Also had run out of several vegetables on the menu. Nice casual atmosphere. Wait staff was very nice but it took a long time for food to arrive.
- Holiday feastBeer22Dined on 12/25/2013Food was good but wife's salmon was undercooked. Manager took meal off bill and everyrhing else was excellent. Good christmas meal :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas DinnerPixieDined on 12/25/2013Great location near the river in Savannah. An OLD building with history and I hear some ghosts, but we didn't experience any. Since it was Christmas and the place was overwhelmed by folks who thought it wouldn't be difficult to find a place to eat, I'll cut them some slack for being out of several menu items. Our waitress was delightful. The food was tasty and the price was right. We'll try it again when we return to Savannah.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- x mas day nightmareholidaydiveDined on 12/25/2013Many items out, no more sodas available, 2 hour wait for a grilled cheese sandwish and bread was burnt. I know it was X Mas day...so we did not complain...since these people had to work....but many people were not happy. :(