1900 E Higgins Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60173Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tokiopub.com/
- Phone: 8472785181
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Barbecue, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Naoki Nakashima
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: At Tokio Pub we can accommodate groups of 10 to 150 in our dining room and patio. Lettuce create something extraordinary with you using our variety of Tacos, Sushi & Barbecue! Whether it's a business gathering or social event, we are happy to help you create an event to impress! To view all of the different options available to you visit www.tokiopub.com or call our Private Dining Manager Ruthann Gagnon through Shaw's Crab House.
- Private Party Contact: Ruthann Gagnon 8475172722x18
- Special Events: Join us monthly for great on going and new specials!
A word from Tokio Pub
Tokio Pub specializes in fresh Japanese cooking. East Asian classics are blended with flavors and cooking techniques from Japan and Latin America to create a unique pub menu. Options to start are unforgettable Tacos and specialty Sushi; but the signature Japanese Hot Rock steals the show. Choose from NY Strip and Ahi Tuna to cook table-side, bringing the action to you. For dinner, our 700 degree robata grill fire chars sizzle platters like the Twice Cooked Organic Chicken with yakitori sauce and ramen noodles or the Twisted Tail Lobster served with crispy rice noodles. With lively music, friendly service and edgy atmosphere, Tokio Pub offers the North West Suburbs a new option for lunch, dinner and cocktails. We are located next to Shaw's Crab House in the Streets of Woodfield.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Tokio Pub - Best Restaurants in Schaumburg ›
Tokio Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)good for groups (28)great for outdoor dining (24)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (14)special occasion (12)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (4)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- ekdeelDined on 10/13/2014Great happy hour prices --- but would have been super disappointed with the food had we paid full price. The service was nonetheless very good and prompt.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014The food was just okay to fair. Although I understand this was a pub, I expected non-alcoholic beverages to be available on the menu other than water. That was my first disappointment. Secondly, my daughter's food was very greasy and that was our second disappointment. Lastly, I was overcharged for my food. The menu stated one price but I was charged a different price. Three strikes and you are out. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Atmosphere better than serviceMy2centsDined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed our evening celebrating my son's 19th birthday. The hot rocks cooking was unique and fun and the tropical cocktails were a nice touch. The service, however left a little to be desired. We waited much too long to have our drink orders taken and after answering no to the 'have you been here before' question, we still had to ask what the hot rocks were all about. The banquette table for 4 was much too small for all the dishes and we were cramped. But like I said at the beginning, we did enjoy ourselves. The food was very good, the decor and the music were hip and we will go bac .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!SaraVIPDined on 10/6/2014We always have a great experience here! Your female manager is very personable and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese Mexican?AdventureGirlDined on 10/4/2014Who would have thought Japanese and Mexican belonged together? This bar hot spot has tacos and sushi, and does them both well. Cooking on a hot rock is a fun dining experience, and the ginger mojito is delicious. One word of caution, if you are a party of more than 4, you will likely get a high top table.Special Features:
- Excellent for the whole familygsssmanVIPDined on 10/3/2014I brought my godson and his little brother there for the older brother's birthday and they both enjoyed the food very much. Favorites were the Gyoza (potstickers) and the Hot Rocks!! So much fun while at the same time experiencing delicious food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuixoteFoodieVIPDined on 9/30/2014Always enjoy going to Tokio Pub whenever I travel to Schaumburg - great atmosphere, the hot rocks appetizers are always fun, and the food has never disappointed. Not an extensive menu, but everything is done to perfection and the flavors and portions always satisfy! Will continue to keep Tokio Pub on my 'must go' list whenever I'm in the area.Special Features:
- best waiter everOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2014Someone should give that waiter by the name of Jacob a promotion or a serious raise. I have traveled to a lot of places and ate at many a restaurants but Jacob is one of the best waiters I have ever had. Very passionate about his job, about the food, and provides excellent service.Special Features:
- menu selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014i hope the menu selections would expand in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sort of a disappointmentHowardr48VIPDined on 9/6/2014First let me state that my wife and I found the food to be very good. We had the tuna flat bread (yummy), sushi and ramen soup (noodles were good, broth a bit salty) and we had no problem with that. However, the menu is not extensive and has a number of items that you would not expect in a Japanese themed restaurant such as burgers, chicken and waffles. We went thinking we were going to a Japanese gastropub and instead found a limited menu with a number of decidely non-Japanese dishes. Perhaps it would not work where the restaurant is located (The Streets of Schaumburg), but a refocus of the menu woukld be most welcome.Special Features:
- Taco Time is always fun!gsssmanVIPDined on 8/15/2014Every so often, Tokio offers all their tacos for $1 each and it's just one big party. It gets crazy in the restaurant, but the service is still top notch. It's great food at a great price with some fun added in. Go experience this event when it happens next; see their Facebook page for details.
- Over & Under whelmingMamaMcDDined on 8/12/2014Overwhelming (loud)energetic music on patio, they sat tables of 6 under the speaker, 3 facing a mirror. Horrible. Overwhelming prices on underwhelming portions. Overwhelming waiter with underwhelming appearances at our table. Very slow, he was serving inside and outside/patio the restaurant. He took away the bowl with 2 edamame in it and I said to put it back. Overwhelming climb to the bathrooms, what if you are semi-unable to climb that many? My husband has had surgery in the past.Special Features:
- Once again...VacaVIPDined on 8/12/2014This place has always been great and the food is simply delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious sushi & excellent servicerudieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Delicious sushi rolls and excellent service! Our waitress was very friendly and helpful. Great beers on draft. Fun atmosphere and a great place to have dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Dinner with the ladiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Great place for a fun, delicious dinner out with the ladies. It's great because you can order multiple things to share. We had sushi and meats on hot stones. Cute ambiance too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightcmacDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I took our first date night here after having our first child, and I think we found our new favorite spot. Alice, our server made the experience even better by being very fun and attentive. We tried as many menu items as we could,tapas style. Seared tuna on the hot rocks was fun and very tasty. Nacho tacos, amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlieVIPDined on 7/18/2014The maki rolls were absolutely wonderful, as was the steak cooked on the hot rocks. However, the best part of the whole experience was the service of our waiter, Roy. He was attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Are you kidding?JavaheadDined on 7/12/2014Probably one of the worst meals we've had in the last 5 years. Nachos were a great starter. Portions were very small (2 bite tacos and Tokio Pub Burger). Great nachos. Server was very good. Food was incredibly salty, very heavy handed on garlic and stayed with us for what felt like 2 days. Maybe a good choice for a drink and appetizer (again nachos were excellent but it went downhill quickly). The Tokio Pub Burger was a waygu patty smothered between two "fried patties of noodles" in place of a conventional bun. For $11 a terible choice. If we went again we would stop at nachos, another appetizer and drinks. Overall a big disappointment especially after having read some on-line reviews including Open Table and Yelp.Special Features:
- Amazing anniversary dinnermrandmrs7602Dined on 7/5/2014Absolutely fantastic dinner! The food was delicious - we really enjoyed all of the appetizers we shared, and thought the experience of cooking on our own hot rocks was great. Loved the crispy rice - a very unique and delicious twist on sushi. Service was phenomenal too - Alice, our server, took very good care of us throughout the night. She was personable, knowledgeable and attentive - great job! We have already recommended Tokio Pub to several others, and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th anniversary at Tokio PubEsmereldaDined on 7/1/2014We wanted to get out of the city and have a low key celebration of out 30th. Being LEYE groupies of sorts, I have wanted to try Tokio Pub since it opened and this seemed the perfect opportunity. The service was excellent...provided by a lovely, up-beat server. All but one dish was excellent. We had a raucously spicy tuna roll that was superb, among many other spot-on delights. However, I would recommend staying away from the 'crispy rice' offerings. Whatever they are going for, they totally missed the mark. Looking forward to going back the next time we are in the way-burbs.Special Features:
- Great Place!FoodieDined on 6/28/2014We loved our experience at Tokio Pub. It is a nice environment for couples/friends/families (small kids are okay and appreciated there!). Not terribly busy, food is great. Service is nice too. Great service and attention from the staff. Can't wait to go back. We had the hot rock appetizers and highly recommend that, as well as the sushi.Special Features:
- Not so hot rockseaterDined on 6/28/2014If cooking on a hot rock is your thing you need to keep the hot rocks coming. Wait staff were nowhere to be found...
- Businerss/Social dinnerSteveDined on 6/24/2014excellent choices of food - spent the evening "grazing" the menu with another couple. Occasion was part-social, part business - a little noisy for serious business discussion, especially for early on a Tuesday evening, but that wouldn't stop us from returning (the four of us had been here before). Very fairly priced, as the four of us had several cocktails, two bottles of wine, split a couple of entrees and tried 5 or 6 appetizers, along with some dessert o bill was under $200 before tip. Our server was attentive, but occasionally forgetful, but no big deal. We will continue to return to Tokio Pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great American Asian FoodgsssmanVIPDined on 6/23/2014We had a great time at Tokio Pub sitting at the bar with our expert bartender Alice. Drinks were tasty and the food delicious as always. Menu items change fairly regularly and are always new and exciting. Of particular note is the new Tuna Flatbread appetizer that is light and cool for the summer. Thank you for another great meal and stellar service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good....GoBearsVIPDined on 6/22/2014The food here was excellent. Unfortunately everything else was lacking. The waitress didn't know anything about the brunch menu, and didn't try to get help for our questions. We kept running out of drinks/water and had to track her down. Which was really bad since we found out the patio either had a broken heater, or acts like a natural oven. It felt great outside, but the patio was roasting. We weren't warned prior to sitting , and the manager on duty didn't seem to care. Some of this would be understandable if they were busy. We were the only table there for most of our meal.Special Features:
- OkayD2nluvDined on 6/21/2014It was an okay experience. I liked the shrimp and lobster crispy rice. The hot rock skirt steak appetizer was fun, but had just an okay taste. I honestly liked the mustard sauce better than the meat. I tried the chicken and waffles-- the waffle was good, but the chicken didn't have flavor. My fiancée had the crispy glazed pork belly and loved it. Some dishes were better than others. Don't bother spending your money on dessert; it's nothing special. I didn't try the tacos and I will go back when they are a dollar. Otherwise, it's a good place to check out of you're curious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 303 reviews are from the Tokio Pub reviews archive.
- Take advantage of Taco TimeMccloud122VIPDined on 6/19/2014Aside from the Taco Time event, which is a great deal if you haven't tried it, it has great food, great drink menu, and desserts. The Asian flare of food is a favorite. The service was attentive and made the efforts to please. I would go back to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- pleasant experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014couple of girlfriends and i celebrated my friend's birthday. the service was decent and accommodating of the cake we brought. we had the hot stone entree, volcano roll, and some tacos with some drinks. the patio seating area was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderdeliversletseatDined on 5/30/2014We went to this restaurant based on 4 star previous reviews and its unique menu. We were very disappointed. We were seated next to the dish unloading station which was very noisy. The servers did not know very much about the food, and couldn't provide any meaningful feedback. We ordered several of their specialty rolls, of which, the rainbow lime roll was the best. We also ordered 5 of the specialty tacos which were soft corn tortillas stuffed with different proteins; the flavors were overwhelmed by the shells. The greens in our salad were very bitter and inedible. Lastly we orders the "hot rocks" cook yourself dishes, tuna and steak, hard to eat and small portions. Overall, overpriced, small portions, fair food, good for the bar.Special Features:
- could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014We are not thrilled with the new menu as some of our favorite items (the rice bowls) were taken off of the menu. Service at this restaurant is usually quite slow. During our visit a new server was in training and spilled a couple of drinks on my friend. She was fine, but nothing was done about it until she requested to see a manager. We felt that someone should have come over sooner to offer something for multiple drinks being spilled on a customer, a desert or drink on the house would have sufficed. The manager was rude and insulting when she should have been apologetic; finally she comped the bill $5 (the balance after using a gift card) and said she would send something. A simple apology and a complimentary item would have been welcome.Special Features:
- DisappointingSMAgolferVIPDined on 5/26/2014The best way to describe the food is oily and bland. Very disappointing, given that its part of the Lettuce Entertain you chain.
- Fun nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Sat on patio had a great time with my wife. Good food relaxed atmosphereI would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls' Night OutQuirkSpongeDined on 5/23/2014Staff was understanding with our tardiness due to parking issues. But as we got to our table, there was a 20min wait when no one attended to us: no water, no menus, nothing. We resorted to asking the waitress attending the table next to us who our waitress is. She was apologetic and took it upon herself to handle our table, as well. Other than that little mishap, our dining experience was pleasant. The venue served our needs for Girls' Night Out favorably with delicious sushi, drinks, and a good atmosphere for catching up with one another. Furthermore, the waitress gave us free dessert for the confusion on having not serviced us right away. Overall, a nice place for a dinner date or conversations with friends.Special Features:
- Good FoodFredyDined on 5/22/2014Sushi was very good. Service was also good. Nice experience
- Date night at Tokio PubOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/17/2014My experiences at Tokio Pub have always been good, but this one was the best. The patio atmosphere was perfect for a Saturday evening - especially people on a date. We ate and talked for hours and enjoyed every minute of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodjlpjlpDined on 5/10/2014Both the bbq pork nachos and Ramen burger are phenomenal. The food came quickly without feeling rushed, so we were still able to make a movie after a relaxing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Late LunchEeekDined on 5/5/2014I've been to Tokio Pub numerous times each time it was packed with people with/without the $1 Taco special. I went on May 5th for the all day $1 special during the late lunch time, there was NO ONE THERE. Not even waitresses. The bartender took our order and everything. The food was fine as usual except the shrimp tempura roll. There was something eek about it that my friend and I couldn't put our finger on (didn't help that the kitchen staff were too lazy to cut the massive leftover seaweed at ends.) The restaurant used to have a lot more collection of taco flavors. Should bring that back!Special Features:
- Dispatch7Dined on 5/3/2014Good and interesting food. The sushi and pork nachos were great. The hot rocks are passable.Special Features:
- Excellent and UniqueTastyDined on 5/2/2014A very unique place. It's their take on a Tokyo style pub and it's attached right to the fancy Shaw's Crabhouse. Great traditional and modern style maki rolls, hot rock meals where you cook your meat right on the hot rock and tons of awesome creative appetizers and very creative drinks that utilize Asian flavors. Good sake choices as well. I tried dessert for the first time. It's called the coconut bao. If all desserts here are as delicious as that one then this place is pure gold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste the money or timeFoodWiseVIPDined on 4/27/2014Either they're trying to hard or not hard enough. They're a sushi/fusion/ramen place with not enough options in any category. The sushi was so so but we got one of each of their tacos, the meat & tortillas were all cold and bland. Their ramen was ridiculously salty, take it from people that have been to japan and love ramen and sushi... Skip it and save the money and go to a real sushi or ramen joint.