Thistle Lodge Restaurant
2255 West Gulf Drive
Sanibel, FL 33597Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $31 to $50
Thistle Lodge Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thistlelodge.com/
- Phone: 2394729200
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Wolff
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Casa Ybel Resort, along with Thistle Lodge Beachfront Restaurant, has been hosting weddings and events for over 100 years. Overlooking the Gulf of Mexico, and situated on 23 acres of pristine private beach, Casa Ybel Resort is the perfect place to host your event!
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Pasek 2394720693x1351
- Entertainment: Thistle Lodge provides live Jazz entertainment on Friday nights and Piano on Saturday nights. We also have Sunday Jazz during brunch.
A word from Thistle Lodge Restaurant
Grand Views... Rave Reviews. At the Thistle Lodge Beachfront Restaurant, delicious cuisine is served in a historical heirloom setting overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Swaying palms and gently breaking waves further set the scene for romance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Thistle Lodge Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Sanibel ›
Thistle Lodge Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (32)special occasion (30)romantic (28)fit for foodies (14)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (8)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- DisappointingFrequentcustomerVIPDined on 9/16/2014Kept our reservation despite reading several poor reviews from the recent past. Way overpriced. We don't mind paying the price for high quality. Filet was gristle as was the second one served in replacement of it. Server said it was prime. Not possible. Was probably select but should not have been served. I had rack of lamb. Small over cooked and buried in a huge mound of overly salty mashed potatoes and weedy lettuce. The waiter apologized profusely but probably is driven to that often. Even the vodka tonic at the start was flat for me and another guest at the next table. Resolved with an odd explanation but was a sign of what was to come. the air freshener used to cover the musty spell that is typical of old buildings was overpowering.Special Features:
- Romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014My husband and I enjoyed a fantastic dinner at the Thistle Lodge. The ahi tuna trio appetizer was delicious, as were my stuffed scallops. My husband had the lamb, which was cooked and seasoned well. The restaurant is quiet and romantic. We had our wedding dinner here and come back for our anniversary each year, and we always look forward to a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambiancelovethistlelodgeDined on 9/13/2014Thistle Lodge makes the dining experience special. Weather permitting the patio is a wonderful place to enjoy the island feel. Indoor affords beautiful views of the Gulf and supports either romantic settings in the side room or a fun get together in the main dining area. Thistle Lodge provided outstanding service to my family for a celebration of life after for my husband. The staff was very attentive and discreet, the food delicious and the ambiance befitting the occasion. I have nothing but praise for the Thistle Lodge, its management and its staff.Special Features:
- Double Birthday soireeLunaBDined on 9/4/2014It was both my father's and my birthday, and the Thistle Lodge staff were including accommodating to my Dad's various needs (shifting the time, the table, etc.) The view was beyond extraordinary, and the service impeccable and tasteful. My Dad did NOT want a big birthday to-do, just something elegant. Which is exactly what we experienced. Lovely and memorable. Thank you for making MY birthday so special. I shall return...Special Features:
- JulioDined on 8/31/2014It's one of our favortite spots for a special occasions - good wine list and excellent food.Special Features:
- Good DiningDR1969Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I enjoyed our dinner at the Thistle Lodge Restaurant over the weekend. The food and ambience was quite good. Our first choice for wine was somehow unavailable, even though it was highlighted on a menu insert. However, there were good substitute wines available. My wife really enjoyed the lamb chops, and I thought that the scallops were well done and tasty. Our waitress was excelllent, very knowledgable and informative about the food and restaurant. Altogether an enjoyable meal. The location is great, right on the gulf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere.LocalDined on 8/29/2014Nice surroundings. Quiet restaurant that you can have a nice visit. Menu has nice selections and service is very attentive.Special Features:
- Great BrunchWaylinDined on 8/24/2014We stopped for brunch on our way home from a weekend on the Island. It was delicious with great service. We throughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBigolsparkyDined on 8/18/2014We were there on our wedding night. Complimentary glass of champagne was nice surprise. Soft she'll crab appetizer was a bit too salty but the rest of the meal was very delicious. I had grilled yellow tail and my bride had the scallops. Our waitress was friendly. The view was pleasant. Great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Great ambience, very good food, a little pricey but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014I had wanted to go to this restaurant for a while, and maybe that set my expectations a little to high. I would rate this as average at best.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchSteakloverDined on 7/27/20142nd time on my two week visit to the island for Brunch here. First time on July 20th they were overwhelmed with a wedding and a family reunion and did not check me in and I was on time. The next time I had a larger party and all went well. Everyone enjoyed the brunch. I will go back.Special Features:
- Great experienceDBAbDined on 7/26/2014Found ambience to romantic and inviting there was great attention to details for our occasion, the food was excellent and the price was in line with this type of experienceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Great food, nice atmosphere, great service. Very expensive!Special Features:
- Wonderful ambiencePCRick1948Dined on 7/18/2014If you're looking for cozy, this is the spot. Service is excellent. However, the price point is a little over the top...not much, but the food is priced moderately more than it's worth. The wine list? Questionable at best. But, it's a cozy spot to spend with your favorite date.Special Features:
- High Class DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014A restaurant with old world charm. Outstanding service and standards. Our favorite on the Island by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Troy & Nicole StoneChristian1021Dined on 7/10/2014My wife and I really love the old world feel of the lodge. We visit Sanibel every year, the Thistle Lodge will be an annual event. ThanksSpecial Features:
- not stellarOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014the thistle is still lovely and service is very good. Unfortunately the food lags far behind. We had lobster bisque which was classic and quite good. Crab cakes were ok. Mussels were classic and quite good. A snapper shri mp and scallop entree was simple but good. Nothing was inovative or creative. We had a cheese plate and truffle plate for dessert. I could have chosen more interesting cheeses from Winn Dixie. Gouda, munster, crumbled blue, give me a break. Truffles were just chocolate candies from a commercial source. Disappointing. Quite expensive so value was poor. I wouldn't go back. I think I have matured in my expectations while Thistle probably hasn't changed much.Special Features:
- Special occasion2muchDined on 7/2/2014Great spot for a quiet dinner for two, well maintained facility. food pricy for the quality taste of food is muddled with favors, mixed reaction to food. Stick with simple items.Special Features:
- Great Date NightBruced85Dined on 6/25/2014My wife and I dined here as a date night away from the kids while on vacation in Cape Coral. We were seated immediately upon arrival and our waiter stopped by after a few minutes. We had a tuna appetizer which arrived in a reasonable timeframe. Our waiter, Steve, went over the specials in great detail but we had already made our decisions on a meal. My wife had a bowl of lobster bisque, which was good, but not the best I've had. For main courses, my wife had a chicken dish and I had a porkchop. Both of them were delicious and arrived in perfect time. I ordered an extra side item of leek hashbrowns, as the main course seemed to be small by description. Steve was attentive throughout the meal. A bit over priced but we were happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic!lovecuisineDined on 6/20/2014The service was excellent. Our waitress was knowledgeable, friendly and experienced. Every menu item that we ordered, appetizers, entrees and desert were all excellent. A nice selection of wine to accompany our meal. We thoroughly enjoyed celebrating my husbands birthday with a romantic evening here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodMessy1VIPDined on 6/19/2014Steaks and fish tasted old Got violently ill 2 appetizers featured were unavailable, one was presented as a special. Spent over $300 for 3 people and we were one of the first parties seated that evening. This is the 2nd time our experience there was less than satisfactory. Gave them another chance. We won't go back.
- Pricey... but well worth it!forbudt4uDined on 6/18/2014I was looking to take my wife out for a romantic evening in the Fort Myers area. After reading reviews to several waterfront restaurants, I ran across Thistle Lodge. We had been to the Fort Myers area several times and never heard of this place on Sanibel Island. We arrived about an hour before sunset and our dinner was placed on our table just as the sun was setting... perfect timing. The service was wonderful (thanks Andrew), the food was outstanding (perfectly cooked and tender Filet & T-Bone w/ Shrimp), and the desert was absolutely to die for (Sea Salt Caramel Cheesecake). At the end of the night, we had a wonderful time and the $200 check was well worth it in our books!!!! Definitely recommend going to the Thistle Lodge.Special Features:
- Not a fanFoodieVIPDined on 6/11/2014Restaurant over feeds and food not that great. Pretty restaurant, though, and nice view.
- Always Relaxing ExperienceLMB1Dined on 5/30/2014Always a very good dining experience. Good food. Great service. Very nice ambiance. If you are coming to the Island and want to take a step up, then this is your choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 345 reviews are from the Thistle Lodge Restaurant reviews archive.
- Perfect Evening at Thistle LodgeJeffDined on 5/24/2014Looking for a quaint, scenic locale with a great menu while on Sanibel Island, go to the Thistle Lodge. We loved reading about the local history of this place and the family - it bleeds of Victorian charm, but with a modern seafood menu and great service. We both ordered seafood - and both dishes were spectacular. Wonderful evening; strongly recommend this place if you are looking for a classy night out, great scenes, and taste all in one setting while on Sanibel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recomend5OHSVIPDined on 5/23/2014Ambiance was just what I'd hoped! Service far exceeded expectations - friendly and perfect timing. Menu was varied and specials were interesting and - the pompano I had was excellent. Grilled octopus presentation was unique with fingerling potatoes and onions. Steak and whipped potatoes were high quality. Faux cocktail for daughter was special and served with a flair. Walked around grounds after dinner ... Including out to to beach via boardwalk. Great spot for photos! All around charming and lovely evening!Special Features:
- Historic setting, good serviceGoingoutDined on 5/20/2014Quiet in the off season, lively historic setting and decor overlooking lawn and bay. Attentive staff, good food. It was just what we expected.Special Features:
- beach viewBeachesDined on 5/17/2014This is our favorite restaurant on Sanibel Island. The food this time was not quite as good as it was at previous visits but still very good. The view and the ambiance is the best. We always save this for our last great dinner before we leave Sanibel. Would recommend it again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pineapple martiniAtownfoodieDined on 5/11/2014The pineapple martini was unforgettable. The rest of the meal was very good, but not outstanding.Special Features:
- Personalized Service and Great ViewRHCCDined on 5/11/2014Fantastic Gulf of Mexico water views, excellent variations-on-theme of menu items (especially the ahi tuna trio and escargot appetizers which were distinctive and inspired chef creations) and table-side service in the best Southern manner. Ask for Natalie (genuinely warm and friendly) or Steve (professional, timed presentations perfectly, depth of knowledge on delicious yet value wines). And don't forget a well earned tip for the pianist playing popular classics and the best of the romantic movie scores.Special Features:
- I always try to go there when I'mdogmamaDined on 5/11/2014I always try to go there when I'm on Sanibel (my favorite place on earth!). I've been there for Mother's Day before and have never been disappointed. This was my first Mother's Day without my Mom, but my best friend and I really enjoyed it. The buffet was beyond belief!!Special Features:
- DisappointedFloridafamilyVIPDined on 5/11/2014They were only serving a buffet for Mother's Day, which was unfortunate and was a surprise as the website and reservation never stated that. A day when you want to spend with your family, but everyone is running around trying to beat the long lines to get food. Service was terrible! Left dirty plates and glasses all over the table and had to be flagged down every time. Sadly, the check included a 20% service added to the bill, so there was obviously no incentive for good service. Food was ok, but absolutely nothing special. Crowded and super hot, a/c really not keeping up.Special Features:
- 2 Week reservationBillD051314Dined on 5/11/2014Had only the upstairs to eat at. Worthless customer service. Sad to see it go under.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysJhhohmanVIPDined on 5/5/2014When in Sanibel it is a must to visit Thistle lodge, they have great food in a very nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- WonderfulPamelarDined on 4/28/2014My husband and I were very impressed with the food and the service. We had a table by the window as requested. The cocktails were very good, but the food was even better. Wonderful fresh seafood, fresh salads. We would go back here in a heart beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the food at Thistle LodgeStellaBDined on 4/26/2014My husband and I went to dinner at Thistle Lodge to celebrate our first anniversary. The pluses: the food was very good, service very good, and the staff had signed a card acknowledging our anniversary, a wonderful touch. Downside, it wasn't the romantic setting the online photos show. The patio is right next to the pool. There was a group of a dozen people partying by the pool. There were also two weddings going on and the catering carts were on the patio so it was very busy. People used the patio for smoke breaks. Inside was better atmosphere for an intimate dinner. We had a drink inside after dinner with soft lights and an engaging piano player. Would go back with knowledge the outside seating isn't private or intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ambiance but expensiveJoeyDined on 4/22/2014Wonderful but over the top expensive. Nothing for young adults that isn't over $40 for an entree which is tough on a familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for meGaryDined on 4/21/2014Server seemed like she was having a bad day. Took ten minutes to place a drink order. Food was ok but over priced for the quality. Noisy. We have been here before and this was a second chance for them, unfortunately the results were the same. Will not return, too many better alternatives in the area.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchSWFLTravelersDined on 4/20/2014This meal was a buffet so items described below may not be available: Wonderful meal in a beautiful setting. We have eaten at Thistle Lodge before and have never been disappointed. Once again, the staff at Thistle Lodge made our experience memorable. The seafood was fresh and plentiful, the salads crisp with many condiments, the lamb and other meats perfect (although we preferred the carving station cuts as they had no sauces) and deserts were heavenly. Our waiter was A++++ as was the hostess. We will revisit Thistle lodge for a meal and expect the same quality and value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.