The Tailor and the Cook
94 Genesse Street
Utica, NY 13502Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tailor and the Cook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thetailorandthecook.com/
- Phone: 3157937444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Tailor and the Cook
Enjoy masterfully prepared meals in a relaxed and hospitable setting. Our chefs create seasonal menus based on freshness and the availability of local products. We can't wait to meet you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Tailor and the Cook - Best Restaurants in Utica ›
The Tailor and the Cook reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (130)fit for foodies (123)romantic (93)neighborhood gem (85)notable wine list (66)hot spot (57)good for groups (17)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Disappointing Food and AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014This was our 4th time here. I've always had average meals but my husband usually enjoys it. Today was an exception; we were both very disappointed. Tables are far too close, between neighbors right on top of you and having to talk over the open kitchen right behind, privacy is impossible. Twice our waitress had to stop mid-sentence to move to the other side of our 2-person table to try to get out of the way of our neighbors, and when I went to leave it was difficult to do so without putting my butt in my neighbors' plates. Scallop appetizer was delicious (but 3 scallops for $11 is a little high.) The crust on the bread was burnt. We both had a shrimp and clam dish; clams were far too chewy and shrimp was undercooked. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Better every timeJRocDined on 8/30/2014My wife & I have eaten here about a dozen times. We have never had a bad meal or anything that wasn't perfect. Everytime we leave we say it was the best meal yet! Jimmy provides excellant service and the food is beyond fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great vibeJEvansDined on 8/29/2014Visited for the first time on a Friday night, and found the food and service to be excellent. The veal chop and filet were cooked perfectly and we enjoyed the presentation of each dish. Do not skip dessert! The gelato with the espresso is delicious paired with an espresso martini!Special Features:
- Dont pass this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Traveled the world and this restaurant is top notch. Creative dishes using farm fresh vegetables, try the peppers with garlic, outstanding. Large variety of wine or beer to complement any meal choice. Ask for Sara as your waitress and she will devote a lot of time describing the menu not just rattling off the specials off a pad. She makes great recommendation on the beer choices. If your lucky enough to have her as your waitress your night will be complete. The duck and filet mignon were excellent as well as the salads and the cheesecake and rhubarb crisp . Wish it was closer to Jersey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014My wife and I have dined at Tailor and the Cook well over a dozen times now. The restaurant is remarkably consistent. I just want to emphasize that the service was, again, excellent. The men and women on the wait staff are always attentive, well informed, and very pleasant. Having worked in restaurants, I'm especially impressed by their timing, which always makes for a well paced, unhurried atmosphere and meal. This is the best restaurant in our region of New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Tailor and the cook may be my new favorite restaurant. The space itself has an industrial feel to it; brick walls, exposed piping, it's reminiscent of something you would find in NYC or Boston. It's small but it creates that intimate dining experience you want in a place like this. Their bar is stocked with top shelf liquor and they have a wine list 3 pages long. Our food came out perfectly timed. We had enough time to chat and enjoy a glass of wine before we we're served two perfectly cooked dishes. I had the filet and it was amazing. Nicely seared on the outside, juicy pink on the inside. It was so tender I hardly had to chew. Definitely the best filet I have had in the area and it was only second to one I had in Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great ExperienceKyle13501Dined on 8/21/2014It's wonderful to see a modern restaurant like The Tailor & the Cook making creative new dishes using local ingredients. Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014The place is on the outskirts of Utica, not easily accessible (we had to do a couple of u-turns to find get there), but the trip was worth it. The food is fair to table, so if you care about where your food comes from, and also think eating locally grown food is better for you and the planet, then you can't go wrong at this restaurant. The appetizers were delicious, the open kitchen and exposed brick gives the place a vibrant energy. We were impressed.Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Food and service were top notch. All local ingredients. If u want excellent food with excellent service go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightdatenightchickDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I love any chance we get to get to the Tailor and the Cook...birthdays, anniversaries, just because. We love that the menu is seasonal and that we can always find something new to try. Every course is phenomenal, from drinks th dessert. The staff is so pleasant, patient, and knowledgeable. If you enjoy trying new flavors and combinations, the Tailor and the Cook is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant as everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014This is my primary choice for entertaining guests from out of town. It provides congruency when I tell them where Utica and the whole region is headed. The menu is fantastic but I can't remember the last time I didn't get one of the specials! Have never had anything short of an amazing experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a homerunBistate8Dined on 8/16/2014Dinner was superb; the menu offers excellent choices (which changes, depending on the season). Service is very good - attentive without being suffocating. Makes for a great special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Tailor & the CookJW1013Dined on 8/15/2014I had heard so many good things about The Tailor & the Cook, and it lived up to every thing I had heard! The food was beyond wonderful, beautifully presented and delicious. The service was impeccable. We were immediately seated and the staff was attentive without being overbearing. From the appetizers through dessert, the entire meal lived up to my expectations. It's pricey for this area but absolutely worth coming to for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Sampling the local cheeses from the cheese plate appetizer with a good red wine is possibly the best part of the meal, but everything is thoughtfully and tastefully done. This place has it figured out.Special Features:
- Great ExpeienceGastronomique22Dined on 8/14/2014In Utica over night- selected this restaurant through trip advisor - great service - thanks Lindsey - veal meatballs to die for- chocolate cake fabulous- veal chop somewhat chewy and fatty but tasty- sides are great= lamb sausage sprinkled over clams and shrimp dish was a nice touch. Highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Ivanilla9Dined on 8/14/2014This is my favorite restaurant in the area. It always serves excellent local food - prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The Tailor and Cook is one of my favorite restaurants to go to for a delicious dinner with a twist on local foods. They always do a great job and the menu reflects the fresh in season foods that we have to offer. Our service was outstanding and I'll be back.Special Features:
- Phenomenal dining experienceCuisinemachineDined on 8/13/2014Good reason to not be in a hurry, b/c the dining experience here is exceptional. A little noisy, b/c of the close table proximity, but food and service are always outstanding. I absolutely love their commitment to support local economy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutGarmerDined on 8/13/2014Delicious food, perfectly prepared, artistically arranged on the plate, and served by an attententive and knowledgable wait staff. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very hipHastoBhipDined on 8/13/2014Visiting the Tailor and the Cook was on my summer "bucket list" and my experience lived up to my anticipation. What a wonderful addition to our city. This is by far the hippest restaurant in the Mohawk Valley. Loved the decor, the ambiance, the staff, the food, the whole concept. Bagg Square is truly transforming and The Tailor and the Cook is an integral part of this transformation. I am now anxiously waiting for the opening of the French bakery down the block in which the Tailor and Cook will be partnering in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014My fiancé and I had a wonderful experience at The Tailor and the Cook! This was our first time there and it did not disappoint. Even though we had reservations at 7:30pm, we did not get seated until around 7:50 which we didn't really mind, but as we were waiting, the bartender came over and offered us a drink. Our waitress, Melissa, was extremely nice and knowledgable about the food and drinks. We will definitely be returning in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Locally Grown FoodPsm1234Dined on 8/9/2014I took my wife and daughter here for dinner. My daughter has lived in London, China and all over Europe. She said this is her favorite place to eat world wide. Amazing to get food like this in Utica, NY. I won't bore you with the particulars of our meal, I'll just tell you the ingredients are locally grown and served perfectly. Ten minutes off the NYS Thruway exit 31, stop in for a foodie treat.Special Features:
- Amazing food!leesiDined on 8/8/2014Was in Utica for a wedding and had time for a dinner the night before. After an online search, I made reservations for The Taylor and The Cook because of all the great reviews and they were right. My husband and I loved the food and wished we lived closer by to eat there more often. Great service as well. Highly recommended!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing entreeddelliottazDined on 8/7/2014We were looking forward to our dinner here after all the rave reviews, but were disappointed with our main entrees. The appetizer (sauteed peppers) were great, as was the bread (only one small piece each), and the salad was good, but our main entrees were disappointing. The stuffed squash had ground lamb that was inedible (tough, hard to chew) and the crust of the pollack was surprisingly tough (although the body of the fish was good). The surrounding sauce and carrots of the squash was delicious. They were kind enough to comp the squash, which we appreciated. A chocolate dessert was also delicious. Perhaps an off night, mixed results for us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceKDD9Dined on 8/7/2014This restaurant offers a wide selection of high quality, tasty food that is all grown locally. The vegetables served were all fresh and in season from local farms. The wait staff was very knowledgable about the food served and happily answered questions about farms and growing. The fresh and creatively served food is well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Dining ExperienceJimCDined on 8/6/2014This particular experience was (as expected) truly superb. I brought my sister from Baltimore and her friend who were visiting to The Tailor and the Cook for dinner. All 3 of us are "foodies" and all 3 of us have enjoyed meals across the country (and in other countries) -- the food and beverages and the service were all off-the-charts as far as being SUPERB. My sister & her friend had just returned from 8 weeks out west after spending a month in some of the finest European eateries in Paris and Berlin -- they agreed the evening at The Tailor & The Cook was incredibly good. Being local, I frequent the T-&-C every week and have never been disappointed -- never had a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!Paulam6060Dined on 7/30/2014Once again the Tailor and the Cook delivers! Wonderful meal, great service, overall lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tailor and the CookOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The food and service was what we expected...very good. However the noise level made it difficult to converse. Also, with the low level lighting, the menu as difficult to read.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DinningConnoisseurDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food and atmosphere, and they have they refreshing willingness to tailor (no pun intended) the dishes to individual tastes and preferences. The menu is not inexpensive for the Mohawk Valley, but still reasonable in the context of class and quality; you would pay twice as much in NYC. You leave having had not just a good meal, but a enjoyable experience. I would particularly recommend it for special occasions, out of town guests, or a nice cocktail after a Comets win.lSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the weightBonnieDined on 7/25/2014Excellent dining experience. Could only be improved by reducing the amount of noise in the restaurant. Food was unique and beautifully presented. A special occasion restaurant for sure.Special Features:
- Pride in LocalRandyDined on 7/19/2014Very nice restaurant that takes pride in everything local. They are in an old retail space and helping revive a part of downtown Utica. Staff was great and food was excellent.Special Features:
- Worth the drive from CTRTHabuDined on 7/19/2014A visit to "The Tailor & the Cook" was well worth the drive from Connecticut. The dinner was amazing starting with the fresh baked bread and marvelous maple syrup butter. A cheese platter followed with a variety of locally made cheeses which our server did an excellent job describing in detail. The main courses were also raised in the Mohawk Valley and were the best I've had in a long time. Make sure you save room for the cheesecake with fresh berries as you will not be disappointed. My only complaint was the tables are a little close together, but this shouldn't keep anyone away from Utica's best restaurant. I will definitely be back the next time I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nearly perfectsylvandivaDined on 7/19/2014Outstanding appetizer of lamb merguez sausage. Great mains of flat-iron steak and veal chop. Sensational strawberry cheesecake dessert. We loved the Seam Ripper cocktail and sparkling rose wine. We did not live being billed an extra 30 for cocktails we never ordered and never drank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchMickfuryDined on 7/18/2014Never been to a better restaurant in America with a more caring staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinersLizMDined on 7/18/2014We were impressed that they try to get local, sustainable food whenever possible. The service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The food and service was outstanding. Love the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!molercDined on 7/17/2014As usual the Tailor and the Cook is tops with us. We have always had a great time eating there.Special Features:
- Best of the BestLoveageDined on 7/16/2014After not having been to the Tailor and Cook for more than 6 months I was delighted that things only got better than I remembered. The waitress remembered us and treated us as if we were regulars. The lamb sausage starter was the perfect start. The salad though small was tasty. The pork chop was perfectly cooked, but I could do without the lovage (it overwhelmed everything else). My date had the haddock. There was plenty of food on our plates and we were well sated. We skipped dessert. This place has great service and the food to match.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2014Food is awesome!! Tables a little tooooooo close for comfort !! Not interested in neighbors conversations !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tailor and CookGeriDined on 7/3/2014As always, an awesome dining experience. Family asks to dine here whenever in town. The atmosphere is electric; the food is incredibly good and is presented wonderfully. Menu selection is superb, interesting and a tasty tribute to the palate. The plating is an event in and of itself and enhances the dining exploration. Inventive drinks. Seared scallops awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.