The Smoking Goat Restaurant
3408 30th St
San Diego, CA 92104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Smoking Goat Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesmokinggoatrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6199555295x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, French
- Executive Chef: Fred Piehl
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from The Smoking Goat Restaurant
The Smoking Goat is an award-winning French & American Bistro located in the heart of North Park. The meals served star in-season local, sustainable and organic ingredients and are paired with boutique wines, craft beer and/or hand-crafted cocktails. A graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Paris, Executive Chef and Owner Fred Piehl pairs his classical training with down-to-earth bistro sensibilities to create culinary creations that are rustic, imaginative, and yet unpretentious.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Smoking Goat Restaurant - Best Restaurants in North Park ›
The Smoking Goat Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (99)fit for foodies (92)romantic (42)notable wine list (42)special occasion (39)hot spot (27)great for outdoor dining (26)good for groups (18)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Restaurant Week offerings just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I'm not sure about their normal menu but I found the Restaurant Week offerings to be just alright. I had the french onion soup which was a little bland and my husband had the escargot which also required salt to make it stand out. For dinner I had the slow cooked pork belly and my husband had the ribeye. Both were good but not out of this world. The table next to us had to return their salmon for being too watery and the gal didn't seem very impressed with the pork belly either. The desserts, however, were amazing! Chocolate bread pudding and "goat cheese" cheesecake. Waiter was nice but didn't really stand out. Ambience was cool and the chairs were super comfy. I'd be interested in trying out their regular menu.Special Features:
- YUM!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Came for Restaurant week and had the grilled beet salad and Duck-fat fries. I can eat just the beet salad and fries are fries (nothing to report there). Had the Underbelly and Duck breast, both were moist. Food you close your eyes to and savor all the flavors. Finished off with Goat cheese cheesecake and apple crisp. If you like creamy cheesecake, don't hesitate to order this baby. Nothing special about the apple crisp, but still tasty. Service was great, I thought would have been too pretentious, but it's very casual with an elegant woodsman decor inside. Caution if you eat outside, you can smell the smoke from the dive bar next door but you can see the action across the street at the North Parker. Parking can be tough at peak hours.Special Features:
- was blown away!sami1031Dined on 9/27/2014The service and food were both the best we've experienced ever dining out. Amazing. We came in for restraunt week but will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticTstylesDined on 9/26/2014The service was incredible starting from the server to even the bus-boys. The food was greatly executed. My steak was not cooked to what I ordered but was exceptional that I did not mention it to the chef. It was great to see the chef/owner at the hot plate though! One of my major perceptions of a restaurant is usually with the flatware -- the attention to detail to the flatware was flawless. I appreciate when the servers remove used/unnecessary forks/knives during service. I will absolutely return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Foodmbl2014Dined on 9/25/2014Having never heard of this restaurant before restaurant week, I was delighted by the choices and the outcome of the food. The restaurant itself was clean and not to loud, allowing me to actually carry on a conversation with the person sitting across the table from me. I would definitely recommend this place and I expect to come back soon.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/25/2014We went as a date night and didn't realize it was restaurant week. Their $35 restaurant week options were great and we had a great time and enjoyed the food a lot. We ordered the french onion soup (below average), duck fat fries (very crispy), snails (very garlicky), duck breast (well cooked) and the pork belly (very tender). Everything was really good.Special Features:
- Our first time at the Smoking GoattraveljunkieDined on 9/25/2014was restaurant week. What a great find. The food was fantastic and we are foodies so this is a serious comment. Young and hip, with a good bar area. You can eat at the bar or tables in the bar area which is nice. Out side dining is on the side walk but the restaurant has a nice open air feel to it. FUN!Special Features:
- Great place to eatluvfoodandwineDined on 9/25/2014Attended the restaurant for restaurant week and had a fabulous meal all the choices looked fantastic. Each of us had different dishes and they were all really excellent. Our waitress was very attentive and had good recommendations. Wine list was good and reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014I tried 3 restaurants during this year's SD Restaurant Week (2014). This was the best one!Special Features:
- Elegant Fare in a Casual SpaceAnneMacDined on 9/24/2014We had a lovely meal during Restaurant Week. My partner enjoyed the pork belly, which sat upon the most dreamy creamy cheesy polenta we had ever tasted. The greens that came with it were firm and flavorful. I had the duck breast over creamy butternut squash puree. The portions were generous and we left nothing behind on the plate. The goat cheese cheesecake with an apricot jam was light and airy, and very fresh. Parking near 30th and Upas can be challenging, but we found a nice spot just around the corner. A great night overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, slow serviceKayeightDined on 9/23/2014The place looked like a pintrest-hipster wall that came to life. The food was great, but main dishes felt "heavy". Service was slow, except for the check. I push both by starter and entree asside after waiting 10+ minutes for someone to come pick it up. A three course meal took almost 2 hours.Special Features:
- Good food good vibeSDsurfmomDined on 9/23/2014We really enjoyed our 1st visit to The Smoking Goat during restaurant week. The food was delicious and I especially liked the comfortable seatingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinej3ffDined on 9/23/2014The food and the ambiance the location was a great experience.Special Features:
- ABSOLUTELY A MUST!!!!grisVIPDined on 9/22/2014THIS RESTAURANT IS AMAZING!!! all we ordered was so so so good!!! definitely a MUST GO PLACE! we recommend the beet salad and snails for appetizers...Entree, the pork belly was to die for! and desert, goat cheese cheesecake! service was outstanding! great experience!Special Features:
- Delicious French Food!foodie4funDined on 9/22/2014Went here in a group of 3 for RW, the food was pretty good. The service was ok. We did discover that they have a happy hour worth checking out at another time! The gnocchi and pork belly were divine, as well!Special Features:
- It was, well, fine.mmebearDined on 9/22/2014We went for Restaurant Week. We were a party of 2 with 5:15pm reservatons. We were seated at a table that was tucked so far back into a corner that neither our waiter nor our bus-person could actually serve or clear without passing dishes. That's a sign that you've got one too many tables in a room. Also, what they were adverstising as a ribeye (and charging an extra $5 for!) was actually a skirt steak. It was delicious, but it wasn't a ribeye...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014It was San Diego Restaurant Week, but our entrees were cold :( Flavors were awesome, so otherwise I would have given 5/5.
- Delicious French CuisinefoodiewannabeDined on 9/21/2014After a bland dining experience at another French restaurant, our quest for satisfying French cuisine was fulfilled at the Smoking Goat! Great menu variety - even during Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Great place and amazing food!MrsBautistaDined on 9/21/2014Nice atmosphere. The decor was nice and lots of charm. Food was amazing. The goat cheese cheesecake was very good. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last time was betterSally411Dined on 9/20/2014I was looking forward to going to the smoking goat again, but was a little disappointed this time around. I missed their awesome cheese plate with accoutrements and the good service. Our server only mentioned one if the specials and as I was leaving I saw the other and was kinda sorry I hadn't had the option. Also, the food was good, but quite a bit more heavy and buttery than I remember. I love butter and I know it is a french restaurant, but my meal was swimming in it. The flavor was just butter. It was just okay. I think I had enjoyed it so much last time, that this experience was a pretty big let-down.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great!DinnerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was great! Service was great! Neighborhood was sketchy!Special Features:
- DeliciousljltaDined on 9/3/2014We had not been to Smoking Goat in a year or so. It was fantastic. We started with the duck liver pate; it was delicious. I had the pork chop and it was cooked perfectly. The brine makes such a huge difference in the flavor and tenderness of the meat. My husband had the lamb gnocchi and it was also amazing. We will be back!Special Features:
- Only goats are customersartshellVIPDined on 8/30/2014Smoking goat? No goat on the menu. What's with that? I mean really. That aside the food was pedestrian at best. We had the duck pate and mac and cheese to start. The duck pate was over cooked and dry. The cheese sauce for the mac and cheese was watery. My daughter had the pork belly and I choose the pork chop. The pork belly was adequate but nothing more than average. My pork chop on the other hand was terribly over cooked. My fork require effort to enter the meat and the knife required muscle power to saw through the pork. To have finished this would have required a chainsaw or desire to engage in a cross-fit workout.
- Great ambiance and food!AlmatyDined on 8/29/2014We really enjoyed our meal. Small portions, but oh so delicious. And what a cute place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved every bit of it!tinamijaDined on 8/29/2014I was impressed with the decor, the food, the service...everything!! Took the in-laws and they absolutely loved it!! My MIL even said it was better than Bobby Flay's restaurant...MESA...even though the cuisine is different, she enjoyed this meal a whole lot more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The FoodJoeBurgerDined on 8/27/2014Very unique, probably the best roasted chicken I've ever had. The pork chop was also very different from were I've had it before, in a good way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We had been here when it was a true hole in the wall, prior to expansion. We have tried twice without reservations to get in, they were not able to accommodate. I tried OpenTable, was successful. We arrived and were led to a high rise table for four in the bar. I rejected the table because they are very uncomfortable for persons with knees that do not bend. we were led to an acceptable table in the main dining room. We were curious as to why we were offered an inferior table in the bar at the outset. My wife asked and was told that we needed to make our preferences known. I had never heard of such a thing. With a reservation, one would expect a superior table not an overflow table. Food was great, Jordon's service also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing appetizersCarolDiegoDined on 8/21/2014Instead of dinner we ordered four appetizers. The duck fat fries are amazing, but I did think they were aggressively seasoned. We also ordered the mac and cheese. It was great. The burrata on toast with arugula and heirloom tomatoes and balsamic was great. We ordered the Brie with toasts. My main complaint in most places is that you don't get enough bread - not here! There was plenty. Very good! The only bad thing was it was stiflingly hot!Special Features:
- Delicious but still won't come backdocdoorDined on 8/16/2014The food was fantastic. The flavors of the dishes and presentation of the food were wonderful but the service ruined the experience. The waiter didn't get our entire order so we got our entrees before we got our appetizer. The food took almost 40 minutes to come out and the waiter didn't come back to see if we needed refills on our cocktails during the wait. The only time he was quick was when it was time to give the bill to us. In addition there was food and a dirty straw on the seats and the restaurant did not have good A/C airflow (basically sweating during dinner). The waiter did not comp our appetizer or try to rectify the partially missing food order. Won't come back and probably wouldn't recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- Never a bad mealhonestreviewDined on 8/9/2014I don't commonly write reviews, however, this is more of an extended review for my many visits to The Smoking Goat. Maybe I can start off by saying I am a foodie. Or I can skip the pretentious know-it-all jargon that proves I watch a lot of Food Network. I've got it! Let me name drop all the fantastic restaurants I've been to..... I have eaten at Smoking Goat several times over the years, even before they expanded. The one thing you can expect from The Smoking Goat, is a constantly changing menu. I have never had a disappointing meal. Each time I have found my meal highly enjoyable. Its 30th Street so I expect a little bit of noise with my meal. The size of the slow cooked pork belly was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven-Mix of very good and badOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014The appetisers were generally good-especially the duck pate which was excellent. However, the mussels special was subpar-the mussels were like rubber. The banana dessert was excellent. The main courses (pork chop and chicken) were suprisingly poor. The pork chop was dry. The mashed potatoes were bland and the vegetables were overcooked. We had an excellent bottle of wine and the 1/2 off on the bottle (Wednesday special) is a great deal.
- Great Happy HourCamilleDined on 8/6/2014Walked in expecting to have an amazing dinner, and ending up having a great sampling of all their happy hour food for only $6/plate! And a bunch of drinks (wine/beer) for under $5/drink. What a great surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un-prententious Foodie FindFoodieforthoughtDined on 8/2/2014Food was excellent, especially the Rib Eye and Truffled Fries entrée. Menu is limited but you have an entrée for most every protein (beef, pork, fish, chicken) and all are done to a very high level of flavor and taste. I will take a few amazing menu options over a lot of so-so options any day! Ambience is cozy and low key. Service was excellent with a wait staff that was accommodating without being oppressive. As a "Foodie" it was pleasant to find such a high level of culinary expertise in a location and environment that was unpretentious. It was an enjoyable experience that I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014We had a really knowledgeable server. Food was real good. I got the pork chop which I highly recommend..Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant!!!CydneyDined on 7/27/2014The food is fantastic!! The pork chop was outstanding!!! Everything is made with the freshest ingredients and the staff is always nice and helpful too. Thanks for an enjoyable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingkneeceeDined on 7/26/2014I was looking forward to dinner here as I had read reviews and received positive recommendation from acquaintance whose opinion I trust. Service was fair trending to poor. Food was served cold, corrected quickly and appetizer and drink were comped. However, food was not to expectation. Noise level was so loud, conversation was nearly impossible. No likely to return.Special Features:
- never disappointshardtopleaseDined on 7/23/2014Smoking Goat has great food and a and a very good wine list and wine by the glass. When I feel like treating myself and husband to an exceptional night I choose the Smoking Goat. If someone is visiting and I want to make a good impression I choose the Smoking Goat. Besides a great food and wine experience the service and ambience makes for a totally satisfying experience.Special Features:
- Perfect!DineOutSDVIPDined on 7/23/2014The baked Brie, sauce on the ribeye, and goat cheese cheesecake were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed DinersSDVisitorDined on 7/19/2014Food was good but the service was almost non existant. We ordered appetizers immediately upon being seated and, even after inquirying about their status, didn't receive them for 50 minutes. The waiter blamed it on the crabcake taking a long time. It would have been more acceptable to us if he just admitted our order was overlooked. The pepper appetizer was incorrectly described as "peppers from Spain and not spicy". But, beware, while not off the charts hot, they definitely have some spice.
- A must visit!DeaconDined on 7/19/2014The Smoking Goat is the real deal. Great menu with quality food. Lovely layout and but could use more outdoor seating arrangements. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.