The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk
290 Old Montauk Highway
Montauk, NY 11954Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gurneysinn.com/dining
- Phone: 6316682345x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:30am - 10:30am Monday - Friday, 7:30am - 11:00am Saturday & Sunday; Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm Saturday & Sunday; Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 9:00pm Sunday - Thursday, 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Angelo "Chip" Monte
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private party rooms can be arranged for groups of up to 220 persons.
- Private Party Contact: Phyllis Lomitola 6316681717x
- Entertainment: We offer a Karaoke Fridays, a DJ and Dancing on Saturdays beginning at 9:30 PM.
A word from The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk
Chef Seth Levine delivers ocean-fresh and local fare, unique seasonal renditions, and signature drinks. All set in a beautifully appointed dining room with sweeping panoramic views of the ocean from every table. Outdoor dining is also available on The Seawater Grill’s deck overlooking the ocean. And, an adjoining bar with oversized lounge chairs and classic cocktail tables provides the perfect setting for impromptu get-togethers, sunset drinks, and nightcaps.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (41)great for outdoor dining (36)romantic (18)special occasion (17)good for groups (11)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (5)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- where's my coffee?Derek228Dined on 8/24/2014The view and food is terrific but the service was SLOW and not attentive. Orders were missed and came out late. Also.. ask for the desserts to be place on a glass plate not the wooden pallets they think is inventive. It's not.. it's sloppy and dirty looking.Special Features:
- Not too good!Frank1307Dined on 8/23/2014I have eaten here many times. New Owner and new restaurant now. Not nearly as good. Will NOT go back!
- Great food terrible servicenb2014Dined on 8/23/2014The excellent food is dwarfed by the terrible,don't care,very slow, lacksidasial service Beautiful views are killed by the worst Montauk service ever encounterted
- Get It TogetherMynewfavorite1Dined on 8/22/2014Beautiful restaurant. Great Ambience. Waiters were good but the kitchen couldn't get it together. Appetizers and main courses coming out at the same time. In one instance the kitchen sent out the main courses BEFORE the appetizers for one table. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Day!LaurrichVIPDined on 8/22/2014Sometimes a Beach resort can be all about the views, however, the awesome views were just the beginning. It was a cool day in August so we figured lets try lunch. Wow! The food was amazing. We started with the Tuna Tacos. If you are a lover of Sushi then these were fabulous. The Tuna was sushi grade fresh with a tangy zest. The entrees were even more spectacular. All in all it was a wonderful surprise and made for a very enjoyable afternoon. A definite must in Montauk.Special Features:
- poor service and mediocre food.minouDined on 8/20/2014This is our second time giving the restaurant a try. The food and service are both mediocre. We keep going back for the view! Next time, we might just try the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/20141)waiter forgot a drink, no big deal, but we were charged $2 more than the menu and asked him to remove it because we never got it, he was defensive, unapologetic, and "it was our fault" because we did not remind him, he never came around to remind him 2)during the lobster buffet, we ate "dry" ask and ask over and over again for soda, never got from the waiter, the hostess served us the soda, bill, ask and ask, the hostess finally gave us the bill, that is totally unacceptable 3) 3 people $90 breakfast, cold coffee 4) no more, they need trainingSpecial Features:
- Chilled lobster clawlessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I generally don't write reviews, but had to.... I would expect that a $24 chilled lobster appetizer at a premier (or trying to be) restaurant in Montauk would have a substantial piece of lobster. There was a seemingly nice half of a lobster...nice half of a tail, that is. They did give me half of the body if you are one of those who likes to search out every little crevice for meat. There was a knuckle which looked like it would have had a promising claw attached to it..... But no, it was clawless. I was so disappointed and was going to complain, much the the chagrin of my partner....I just thought they should know, so I vent it now. The chicken parm was chewy...The truffle fries were a handful of smushed fries with parm cheese no truffleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014We ate on the deck over the beach and the view was really fantastic. Service was great. Food was good if not great and of course very expensive (but this should come as no surprise). All in all, a very nice addition to the Montauk offerings.Special Features:
- Very disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014Gorgeous place with a beautiful view & it's especially nice if you sit outside, but that's basically it. The food is way over priced for the quality. The tuna tartare tacos were terrible. For $19.00 we got 3 very small tacos & they were soggy & had no flavor except for the jalapeño pepper they placed on top. Then the entree comes out & it was so tiny that it looked like an appetizer. My husband got the rack of lamb which is advertised as a full rack of lamb, there were 4 tiny pieces of lamb on a small portion of mashed potatoes which cost $50. If your going to serve tappas size plates then you should advertise that so it's not so misleading. We both left there still hungry after a $150 bill for 1 appetizer, 2 entrees & 1 glass of wine!Special Features:
- Really?GoodchoiceVIPDined on 8/2/2014With all the hype thought it was worth a try....... But really you felt like you were in the big dining room in the Catskills backin the day! The dining room is huge and the noise level is unbearable! They should have made it floor to ceiling windows and broken down the space so it didn't feel so huge. Didn't get a cool hip feeling at all. The tuna tacos and tomato watermelon salad were good. Entrees were ok. The striped bass was prepared well branzino a bit over cookedSpecial Features:
- di44Dined on 8/1/2014Food was great. Beautiful view even on a cloudy night.Special Features:
- AwfuldinneroutDined on 7/29/2014Desired time was not available via Open Table, so we were expecting to find a crowded dining room, not so. The complimentary rolls were stale, glasses dirty, the wait staff friendly and well intended but not coordinated. The food was not bad enough to send back. In all, the view and pricies were exquisite. If you must see what the new Gurney's is all about, have a drink on the deck and find a better place to dine.Special Features:
- Feels a bit like a dining hallDisappointedDined on 7/27/2014The restaurant boasts of a spectacular view of the ocean, but all you see through its enormous windows is a jumble of decks, stairs, and utility structures with the ocean far in the distance. The restaurant caters to the hotel's guests, who treat it a bit like their dining hall. You can't blame them for that, but it's not worth coming from the outside to eat here. That said, the food was inventive and good. The management of the restaurant is loose: the hostess did not seem to care that we had a reservation, and we got a follow up from Open Table asking why we were no-shows. I noted when I made the reservation that the lunch was to celebrate our anniversary, but the restaurant didn't do anything to acknowledge it.Special Features:
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014the food and service were both on point, but this place was so stuffy and overpriced, i was honestly surprised.Special Features:
- We were not impressedFirstTimeinMontaukDined on 7/25/2014This place was recommended by a colleague at work. The view is spectacular. The food and service not soo much. The waiter was attentive, but it took ages for our food to come out. When the food finally did come, my friend's steak was completely over cooked and the mushroom pasta was luke warm and soggy. I would definitely not recommend this place other than to go for a drink.Special Features:
- Good butJstarxDined on 7/12/2014Everything was phenomenal except for the main course. The porterhouse for two simply was just a tasteless piece of meat. Everything else we tried was great though. Skip the porterhouse for 2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gurney'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014I have been coming to this restaurant for years. The resort is under new management . The dinner I had very excellent and the service and atmosphere was great.Special Features:
- Gave it a try...would not returnDumboFoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014We avoided Gurney's for years bc of dated reputation, but tried it last weekend because it's under new management and supposedly renovated, and it's one of only oceanfront spaces. Mistake. Sat outside because the draw is the view, and inside looks/sounds like a giant catering hall. It was chilly, and they did not have enough heatlamps. One poor waitress was doing everything -seating the tables, taking the orders, and clearing the dishes - and though she made best efforts, service clearly suffered as a result. Raw bar apps were fine. The entrees took 45 min to arrive, and were not very good. We ordered tea at the end and the water was brown because they were using coffee pots. Only Pinot Noir by the glass was $20. Silly. Would not return.Special Features:
- No one running the shipMarionDined on 7/5/2014We were supposed to eat outside, but due to the weather we had to go inside. The room is large, bright and LOUD. It felt like a really bad cruise ship. Our server was good, but there was no food coming out of the kitchen or bar. Once it came, the food was pretty good. I loved the ahi tuna tacos, the oysters were fresh and tasty. The rack of lamb had a unique flavor which I enjoyed, but the entree was cold. The server was very apologetic and when the manager came out, she removed one of the bottles of wine and the cold lamb off of the bill which was nice but we would not return as the atmosphere was everything we don't enjoy. Lowering the lights and lowering the sound by 2/3 and improving service...maybe.Special Features:
- Great food terrible ServiceBucknastyDined on 7/5/2014I had a party of 12 for the evening of July 5th. My reservation was slated for 7:45, My party was not seated until 8:30; we were not comped any food or drinks for having to wait 45 minutes to be seated. Upon being seating our waiter told us that we should order family style and only choose one entree because we would probably get our orders screwed up. For the price we are paying I felt this was ubsurd and spoke to the manager who then says he would send family style all of the entrees. Our party individually kept going to the bar to get their own drinks as our service was not great. I continuously had to request more food because we were only being served food for a party of paying I would say this place is definitely not worth it.Special Features:
- Extremely DisappointingjabberjawVIPDined on 7/5/2014Arrived at restaurant to be told they did not have a reservation. Gave us a lot of attitude and were extremely rude. After ten minutes they told us they had a table a proceeded to tell us it would be at least 50 minutes before we would be served. For such a beautiful setting is it a shame.
- Great view but thats about itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2014Service was terrible, the staff has zero incentive to do a good job when 20% gratuity is already includedSpecial Features:
- Good and badJimandgang1VIPDined on 7/3/2014The good - spectacular view if you are sitting outside on the porch. The food was pretty good. We had a party of 9 and the food reviews were good across the board. The bad - waiter was friendly, but the service was spotty. Felt ignored at points. On the beach right down below is the Beach Club. Music started (loudly) in earnest at 7 pm. The DJ, Shark Attack, had a penchant for curse words. Worst of all, the waiter mentioned there was a gratuity for such a large party (understandable). When the check was reviewed, they had not only charged an approximate 20% gratuity, but the itemized list of food and drink included an "extra tip" of $98. When it was flagged, we were told it was an "error".Special Features:
- Ocean View DiningSmojoeatsDined on 6/30/2014Romantic spot overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Food was delicious and waitstaff was extremely friendly, efficient and engaging. Highly recommend, particularly for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great views, ambiance.SusieDined on 6/15/2014The view was awesome. The ambiance was nice. We ordered our drinks & waited 10 minutes for them to arrive. We ordered our food & waited 20 minutes, only to be told that they'd "run out" of our entrée choice. They tried to improvise by offering something similar, but steak was over cooked, fatty & dry. We were very disappointed in the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big improvement.hamptondiningVIPDined on 6/7/2014The whole resort has been overhauled and come into the 21st century. New ownership, finally. We were there for dinner at the beginning of June. The service was good, hope it stays that way when it is busier in July-August. The food was good with a pared down menu. The view is what you go for, it is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrannyDined on 5/31/2014Gurney's is finally back to where it should be. World ClassSpecial Features:
- UghYummoVIPDined on 5/31/2014Although the setting is spectacular, the food is atrocious. I ordered chickem milanese. It came out as if someone had removed the sole of their shoe, tossed some salad on top and poured a shaker of salt over the entire dish. My husband's fish was miniscule, almost as salty and was the only thing on the plate. When the maitre d' inquired about our meal, I told him what I told this review.he did offer to replace it , but since the rest of the people at the table were finished I declined. Foolishly, the maitre d' walked away without any mention of a dessert for the table or an after dinner drink. Someone should educatep him as to how to make friends in a restaurant.
- The chef has left the buildingMadboiDined on 5/20/2014All you get is a moderately expensive cold dish. The food isn't just bad it's high school cafeteria laughably bad. 1/2 hour to get our order taken. Will say the poor waiter tried but the hostess was plain flippant when I came over and asked if anyone could please take our order. The only thing nice I can say is ocean view. The cheezits I bought were sadly the highlight of the night. Cheaper than Hampton spots but still NYC prices. They could have at least tried but they just didn't. Nor should you. Please save yourself dishes seasoned only with hair (the one I found on my filet made me feel like I was doing the colored hanker chief trick).Special Features:
- Mother's Day by the seadineandwineDined on 5/11/2014What can you say about Gurney's. It's been a Montauk staple for decades. Our service was so so, which is usually not the case, but it was Mother's day and our cocktails never arrived. When we mentioned it to the one of the wait staff they did rectify the situation by sending them right over and not charging for that round, which was very nice. Otherwise, it was a buffet brunch and it fit the occasion. Food overall was good. The scenic views are to die for and you just can't get enough of the outdoor dining experience if you happen to be in Montauk, it is worth it for the view alone.Special Features:
- The following 127 reviews are from the The Seawater Grill at Gurney's Montauk reviews archive.
- Great foodLusch22Dined on 5/3/2014Loved the view and loved the food. Seafood was so fresh and delicious. Highly recommend. Service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Sunday 2014luv2eatoutDined on 4/20/2014Although a little pricey, the food, choices and service was very good! We sat on the deck around the fire after dinner and enjoyed a pleasant conversation with a family from Lindenhurst!Special Features:
- Great food and spectacular view!landernjDined on 4/20/2014We've been going to the Sea Grille for a number of years for Easter dinner and previously had Christmas dinners there as well. The staff are wonderful and the menu has a good selection. My wife had the prime rib and I had duck l'orange. Both dishes were excellent. They have a dessert buffet on Easter which is a lot of fun. Perhaps the best part of the meal is the view of the Atlantic Ocean. It is spectacular. We look forward to going back next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- False advertisingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014I made a reservation at the Sea Grille for 9:45 in the morning expecting Easter Brunch. We got to Gurney's and the Sea Grille was closed and we had to have a la carte breakfast in the cafe next door, which was okay but not the special holiday brunch I was expecting from beig at Gurney's years ago. We were really disappointed and annoyed.
- Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/19/2014The view was unbeatable, even from inside. Unfortunately it was still too cold to sit outside, but it surely is beautiful when the weather is warmer. Food was good, just a little dissapointed at first that they took of the Filet Mignon of their menu. Online it was still on the menu, and so I was looking forward to that in particular. But it was still a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad newsFoodsterVIPDined on 4/15/2014Spent 4 nights at Gurneys last week and ate the "Sea Grill" once out of 12 meals. Why? "Sea Grill" is only open Friday and Saturday nights in the off season--at all other times you are seated in the side dining room, Cafe Monte, which is used and suitable for breakfast and lunch. Not so much for dinner. That's bait and switch. "Sea Grill," when open is OK, especially the local, fresh fish preparations and chowders. The same full price menu is served at Monte. Not right. Duck was overcooked, as was steak. Lobster was short-weighted and had the tomally removed in the kitchen just like "Red Lobster." Unnecessary and pointless. The entire Inn was short staffed, creating undue stress on the few servers and creating long waits for diners. Wow!Special Features:
- The food and service hereAnnnnnDined on 12/17/2013The food and service here were fine. But the dining room has not been updated in ages and feels dated. We were there in the off season but it still was VERY empty. We asked the waiter to turn down the light over our booth so that it felt a little more like a evening dining room, not a Denny's. It does have a view of the ocean which obviously you cannot see a night - might be a better idea for lunch/breakfast.Special Features:
- don't bothernickymomDined on 11/29/2013we were not even seated in the Sea Grille as there was a private party going on - which they failed to mention when we called to confirm - order the most expensive glass of white wine on the menu and was given a house instead until I said something - they oysters were not good at all an lobster roll just ok - shrimp completely under cooked
- NiceMallers807Dined on 11/8/2013Had a large event the night I dined so We were seated in the cafe rather then the main rom. Otherwise nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.