The Pit - Durham
321 W Geer st
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
The Pit - Durham
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thepit-durham.com/
- Phone: 9192823748
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Pit - Durham
North Carolina is known for its legendary barbecue joints. We proudly continue this tradition by serving authentic whole-hog, pit-cooked barbecue at The Pit in Durham.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Pit - Durham - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
The Pit - Durham reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (78)neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (60)great for lunch (40)kid-friendly (37)hot spot (34)special occasion (31)great for outdoor dining (26)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (9)great for brunch (7)romantic (5)scenic view (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Keeps Us Coming BackBonyasMomDined on 8/30/2014Another great celebratory meal at The Pit! We have never had an off night & always look forward to another reason to make the trip from Wake Forest to enjoy the food & ambiance. We love the mission of the restaurant to keep it local and to support humane treatment of the animals we eat. Because we know this care & quality can be counted on, we will choose The Pit over other options! We love the food, the style, and the service.Special Features:
- Not your traditional BBQ restaurantWhiteEagleDined on 8/27/2014Portions were smaller than expected and dressed up. The BBQ was good as were the desserts. The wide open architecture makes it pretty loud and hard to hear conversations. Nice overall but again, if you're looking for a traditional BBQ place, go elsewhere and get more food for a lot less money.Special Features:
- Yuummmmmm!moodyfoodieDined on 8/24/2014I had dinner at The Pit for the first time last weekend...possibly the best Baby Back Ribs I've ever had!Special Features:
- excellent foodWillDined on 8/23/2014Been to The Pit several times and food is always good. My father was in town for the week and took him there for the first time. He got the triple combo and liked everything he got. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodluvbbqDined on 8/23/2014We wanted the Carolina BBQ experience, and The Pit delivered, it was a little hard to find with GPS but once we did it was worth it, Valet Parking, Intense aroma when you walk through the doors, friendly staff with a sense of humor and the food was amazing, we had burgers, ribs chicken and pulled pork all very good even the complimentary hush puppies and biscuits were awesome, if we are ever in NC again we will be going to The Pit.Special Features:
- Fantastic Experience!dcfoodieDined on 8/22/2014This was the first restaurant I took a friend visiting from Washington DC to experience North Carolina BBQ. The whole experience from the quality of the chopped pork and sides to the friendliness of the wait staff made this the perfect spot to show an out-of-towner what North Carolina cuisine is all about! To top it off, our waitress served us a complimentary banana pudding for dessert that was the most delicious banana pudding you can find. I highly recommend The Pit - Durham for anyone wanting to have an excellent NC BBQ experience!Special Features:
- Durham QueGlassHalfFullVIPDined on 8/17/2014How nice to have another good barbeque place! The Pit in Durham is much like the one in Raleigh, which we love enough to drive an hour, one way, for an occasional dinner. Good to have this one a bit closer. And with valet parking! Good food with the three sauces on the table -- Eastern NC vinegar, Lexington, and Memphis -- and good sides. Enjoyed the Smoke Manhattan, although the smokey-ness is subtler than the Smoke 'n Coke they serve in Raleigh. Portion sizes seem a bit smaller, not a bad thing actually. I was full but not stuffed. I like the sharing menu too. Only suggestion would be a bit more color on the plates -- parsley, lettuce frill, something bright. My beige plate was pretty bland looking. Good
- Avg bbqJamesVIPDined on 8/17/2014Food was ok. Just avoid the fried chicken. I assigned a very low service rating because the hostess never checked us in on Open Table even though I asked her if she had. Consequently, I had to fill out my third false no show this month.
- Great FoodMaryDined on 8/17/2014If you like BBQ they have it in whatever form you like!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perhaps avoid peak timesgreenDined on 8/16/2014Reservation didn't help- had to wait- did not get seating preference, got the opposite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu misrepresentationjudymDined on 8/16/2014We went for their barbeque tofu and vinegar slaw, but alas, no such thing. They have taken the vinegar slaw off the menu, and only have a mayonnaise slaw, so we ordered the cucumber, tomatoe and onion side dish. I think they forgot the tomatoes, as we only had cucumbers and onions. They also did not have tofu, major disappointment. They served a frozen soy "chicken" patty with a little sauce on top, I can do better at home. If you are vegetarian going out with carnivores, choose another restaurant.
- Disappointing for the 2nd timedurhamlocalVIPDined on 8/16/2014I am not happy to write this...but the service and food at The Pit - Durham have really dropped off. We were very excited when this location open. So much so we ate there three times in the first month introducing friends to the restaurant. At that time the food and service were both great, just like we had experienced at their Raleigh location. Over the past few months our experience has changed. The food has arrived cold. The complimentary bread and hush-puppies arrive late. The service has been slow, but the servers are polite. Very disappointing for a restaurant we were excited to have move into Durham. I hope these visits have been an anomaly and not the new norm. Business still seems brisk when we are there.
- Enjoyed tasty barbecue in townMichaelPVIPDined on 8/15/2014Really good baby back ribs and brisket with western-style sauce. The collard greens were delicious as were the okra and creamed corn. Our starters of biscuits, hush puppies and fried green tomatoes were quite delicious. Great selection of draft beer. Service was good, but the kitchen didn't get our appetizer order quite right (but we recovered). Good location, but we wish we had gotten a reservation at the original location in Raleigh because it seemed more down-home style.Special Features:
- A great experiencedurhamlocaleaterDined on 8/15/2014We were treated extremely well at The Pit. We were greeted warmly by the hostess, got seated quickly, and our server presented himself in short order. We were catching up with old friends and our server didn't seem to mind that we were taking extra time deciding on what to eat. Our food was brought to us in a short amount of time and it was delicious! The range of barbeque styles they offer can accommodate any palette. Few restaurants can pull off the variety that they offer. Everyone's meal was up to or exceeding our expectations. We will definitely go back and enjoy this again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Food was good, no complaints about that. Ambience was not as nice as The Pit in Raleigh. Felt very crowded and noisy, not for families or to sit down and talk with friends (not inside anyway).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, atmosphere and foodAKkkVIPDined on 8/2/2014Really great experience. A must do in Durham whether you like BBQ or not. Great atmosphere and setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedtriathletececeDined on 7/29/2014We were sandwiched into a table so close to other tables we were pretty much dining together. The food was average and we have made better BBQ at home. The biscuits they serve as an appetizer were the best part of the experience. The service was mediocre and a bit awkward.
- Overall a good mealElmoGlickDined on 7/21/2014There were 5 of us and we sampled many of the items.. Every thing was good..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQVAfoodloverDined on 7/19/2014Like Raleigh, this "pit" is rich with great food. Wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Good, but not as good as hypedMattDined on 7/13/2014First, what matters most: the barbecue is as good as North Carolina barbecue gets, eastern or Lexington. It tastes fresh and smoky, and isn't drowned in sauce. The biscuits and hushpuppies are also hot and homemade. Those are the things a barbecue place must do well, and the Pit stays strong here. The disappointment is in the sides. I expected that a place that put that much care and effort into their barbecue would give equal attention to the side dishes, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The macaroni was bland, and the okra seemed to come from a frozen bag. The Pit's side dishes are an afterthought. As a result, it knocks the restaurant down from "definitely recommend" to "if you're in the area for lunch, it's good."Special Features:
- Great BBQOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014Offers great BBQ in a slightly fancier setting than most BBQ places in NC. It also offers both eastern and western NC-style options and sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating serviceDurhamfoodieVIPDined on 7/10/2014Good food, perhaps not the best ever bbq but still delicious smoked goodness. What made it great was that the service took notice of the details and corrected what needed to be corrected.Special Features:
- Great ChoicesGretaDined on 7/10/2014If you want good southern cooking....the Pit is for you. knowable staff who can help you with your selection while making you feel very comfortable is the norm. Our food was delicious and our beer cold...what more could you ask??Special Features:
- Not2happycustomerDined on 7/8/2014The service and ambience was nice but the food was not that great. The appetizers were small and the portion of food is really small plus not season very well. Over all if i went back it would be for just drinks and the ambience.
- Great BBQcoolmomDined on 7/7/2014Had heard about this restaurant and took an out of town friend who wanted to try No. Carolina BBQ. We all really enjoyed the food and there is something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, a great experience.j1189hDined on 7/6/2014Excellent food, good service! Eat outside if possible, but inside is comfortable too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to take out of townersHeatherVIPDined on 7/5/2014The Pit was a fun place to take out of town guests. We were able to have a variety of barbeque dishes and some other traditional southern dishes such as fried chicken, collards and black-eyed peas. The food was very tasty and the place was clearly hopping and was in a good location to show guests the transformation of Durham. We also appreciated the attentive service, which was good, but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice view of the Durham skylineFoodiegal0305Dined on 7/4/2014However, The service on the roof level was not good. They seemed very understaffed. We received our food after a long wait and then had to wait for silverware while our food grew cold. The pulled pork barbecue sandwich was good, the beef tips were on dry side but the sauce was good. I was surprised to see a different menu than what was online. The restaurant has a different menu than the rooftop. The location was great for outside dining. I hope they can improve on the service.Special Features:
- Fantastic BBQjkleczewskiDined on 7/4/2014The food is great, you get a lot for the money. You won't leave hungry.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014The restaurant is a great place to meet up with friends and family. There are both booths and plenty of large long tables and reservations kept us from having to wait (5 of us). We shared family style and especially liked the fried pimento cheese appetizer, think fried mozzarella , and the fried catfish...yes fried is the operative word! That said there are plenty of fresh vegetables, meatloaf, and chicken options. The bar is extensive and the beer list long. Great place but a little too loud to have conversations for the whole table to hear. Go and enjoy..you will leave happy and full!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyRlittonDined on 7/3/2014The food was delicious and the service was great. We had a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014Service was great. Food was cold. Not at all what we were expecting.
- Best BBQ in NCFantasticDined on 6/29/2014I love this place my wife first took me here for my birthday at the location in Raleigh and we just found out they a location in downtown Durham food is always amazing service is always superior my in laws absolutely loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQ!YumyumDined on 6/28/2014Wonderful BBQ but the atmosphere isn't quite as great as the Raleigh location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great southern foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014My wife and I took the in laws to The Pit for dinner. The food was excellent as was the service. There portions are big enough for two people to share but for the price it is fun to try everyone else's too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Pit never disappoints!LydiaKDined on 6/27/2014Every time I go to the Pit in Durham I'm so impressed with the food & the service. If you're looking for some fabulous bbq and southern favorites, look no further. And free valet parking in the city is always a plus! Wonderful restaurant, one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Disappointed...MdvtravelerDined on 6/25/2014Returned to The Pit approximately 1 yr since I visited last at recommendation of a customer. At that time, I was in the area for 2 nights. At that time, I ate there both nights! This time, I recommended that my group (Pres., VP, and GM of my company) go there for dinner. What a let-down! In a nutshell, the food was poorly prepared. I ordered Triple Combo. Meatloaf was decent. Chopped pork was fair, but not tender as I'd remembered. The fried chicken, however, was over-cooked, tough, and dry. And the mac and cheese was dry, bland, and disgusting. Lastly, the fried cornbread was hard and dry. The team that prepared the food, and any staff there to check it, appear to not care what they serve to customers. Will not be back. Other options.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/24/2014The food and service were very good and they have a great beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal before the show at DPACDavidSDined on 6/22/2014Just a short ride away from DPAC, I thought the pit was a solid choice for a eastern North Carolina meal / pre-theater dinner. The chopped barbeque (eastern North Carolina style) was tender and seasoned well. Good hush puppies and slaw, but the creamed corn was just ok, I'll try the mac and cheese next time. My wife had the baby back ribs they were also prepared well and very tender. Not the place for health conscious meal, but if you're going out for barbecue and ribs what do you expect!Special Features:
- Great experienceElegossDined on 6/21/2014This was our first time dining at The Pit - Durham. The food was fantastic! My husband had the eastern chopped BBQ, which he said was very hot, but would order again. He is a BBQ fanatic! I had the BBQ chicken, macaroni and cheese, and fried okra. Oh my God, everything was so good! The Mac n cheese just melts in your mouth. The chicken had a smoky, delicious flavor. Even the hush puppies and biscuits were delicious. I cannot wait to come here again!Special Features: