The Old Fourth Street Filling Station
871 West 4th St
Winston-Salem, NC 27101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Old Fourth Street Filling Station
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theoldfourthstreetfillingstation.com/
- Phone: 3367247600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Andrews
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Old Fourth Street Filling Station
Drop into The Old Fourth Street Filling Station for good times and great food. The restaurant is a neighborhood favorite, and offers a casual, friendly dining atmosphere that you and your friends are sure to enjoy. The Old Fourth Street Filling Station also offers a friendly, professional staff of great people, who will make sure your visit is memorable and that it lives up to its reputation for pleasant dining and superb cuisine. The menu offers an inspired array of selections that is sure to satisfy everyone in your group, every time. Be sure to ask your server about new selections, daily specials, and chef's creations. Whether you're in the mood for casual dining or a special occasion, The Old Fourth Street Filling Station is sure to please.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Old Fourth Street Filling Station - Best Restaurants in Winston-Salem ›
The Old Fourth Street Filling Station reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (37)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (25)great for brunch (15)romantic (15)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (13)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (9)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Had Reservation - DIDN'T MATTERjen48Dined on 10/26/2014We made a reservation for six for Sunday Brunch - family visiting and special occasion (son to perform in piano recital that afternoon). When we arrived, the host was clearly busy/inundated with many people requesting tables. We approached and gave our name and time of reservation - he stated he had 6-7 other requests and we would be put on the waiting list - EVEN THOUGH WE HAD RESERVATION! We were NOT happy. Instead went across the street to Mozelle's, where we were accommodated in timely fashion.Special Features:
- Fast and excellent serviceAwesomeVIPDined on 10/25/2014We wanted a great but fast meal as we were traveling. This was just 2 miles off the 40/52 interchange and was perfect. The food was great with lots of options between $9 burgers and sandwiches or $25 entrees. Everything we ordered was super and we enjoyed fresh food, great ambiance and we were out the door in the same time if we had gone with a quick chain restaurant. Our server was very friendly. I'm glad we made reservations (only 30 min ahead of time as we were approaching Winston-Salem) bc we were seated immediately. We noticed a line as we were leaving so reservations are probably the way to go if you are on a timeline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceOntheroadDined on 10/24/2014The outdoor seating at 6:30pm was perfect, and the food was very good. The bar and waitstaff was slow, and the waitress was extremely sterile and impersonal. I would try it again for the food in hopes the gal was just having a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!pk74Dined on 10/18/2014Had reservations for a party of 10 one week in advance, called the day of to confirm. I had never been here before so didn't know what to expect. Everything was awesome, but nobody told me the reservations were outside, and some of the party thought it was kind of chilly. Opentable and the restaurant themselves didn't mention it with any contacts. Other than that, everything was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchBandmomDined on 10/12/2014We had a party of 4 that needed to be changed at the last minute to a party of 6. Changed the reservation easily on Open Table the night before with no issues at all. The table was ready when we arrived. No waiting. Brunch selection was very good and everyone loved their food. I would recommend the Peaches and Cream French Toast and hashbrowns....delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with the studentsDolfanDined on 10/3/2014Have been to the Old Fourth Street Filling station several times, mostly with a bunch of students from nearby Wake Forest. It is a perfect place for a casual dinner and has become a bit of a tradition. Food and service are both quite good and have been consistent. Ambiance and atmosphere of the restaurant is friendly and low key. I will be back!Special Features:
- Loved it!YummyFoodDined on 9/23/2014Great place to eat lunch. Great Food and the service was wonderful!Special Features:
- Family dinner with college studentOutWithTheGirlsDined on 9/19/2014Great spot for a casual dinner with family. Food for everyone's tastes. Delicious and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchNCDeaconVIPDined on 9/13/2014Good lunch spot on Saturday for a large group of us. Only disappointed that they don't serve brunch on Saturday as well as Sunday. (We were looking for brunch) But enjoyed the patio, and very good service and food. Just need to remember no brunch on Saturday there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itjaybVIPDined on 9/12/2014You won't be disappointed. The beautiful and roomy outdoor patio is set under a canopy of trees and lights that provide a warm, friendly, and romantic setting. The service is excellent and the food wonderfully southern.Special Features:
- Awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/20144thSt is a phenomenal find. Kid friendly and an outside seating area that you can do from spring to fall. Great menu and great attention to any changes you need madeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Eggs Benedict EVER!!!PhillyGirlDined on 8/24/2014Breakfast is my favorite meal and Eggs Benedict the one I love the best. We recently had brunch here and I ordered the Beef Tenderloin Eggs Benedict - I am spoiled forever. This was by far one of the best brunch picks I have ever had. Wish I lived in Winston-Salem!!!Special Features:
- Great lil spot downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2014One of our favorites. Broad range of food at a wide range of prices and tasty. Patio and sidewalk dining is relaxing. Great to be able to make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night outfoodySamDined on 8/8/2014Really enjoyed our time! Waiter -Spencer-seemed new maybe? Placed wrong drink in front of wrong person, same with food.. Wasn't very attentive . Food was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I loved it. My sandwich and fries were amazing and very freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!amitchell84Dined on 7/12/2014Awesome food and great service! The shrimp and grits are outstanding.Special Features:
- Usually PleasedWilliTheHutDined on 7/11/2014Have been there many times before & recognize that this was an unusual situation: A/C WAS BROKEN!!! That said, however, this was the first time I used Open Tables to reserve a table @ 8:00 pm. This however made no difference that I could tell as the maitrêsse d', if you will, at the entrance put my name on her list and told us we could wait in the bar as it might be a little while. Not only this, I requested a seat inside since I felt it would be too warm to sit outside. Now I am SURE SHE KNEW THE A/C WAS BROKEN, but she said nothing about it. I must give Kudos to our waiter, Marshall, who was most pleasant and thoughtful!Special Features:
- OkSatisfiedVIPDined on 7/6/2014We went here for dinner. The appetizers were much more inspired than the non-too-exciting main courses.
- TboneVIPDined on 7/4/2014Great ambiance. Family friendly but also a good date night locale. Best patio in town. Food good and prices moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 182 reviews are from the The Old Fourth Street Filling Station reviews archive.
- First TimerSRAMDined on 7/1/2014Met some family members there to celebrate my cousins birthday. It was the first time for most of us . Well to start things off a customer paid it forward and paid a $100.00 towards our dinner !!!! That was a big WOW!!! The food was awesome and the staff was very nice .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good 1st time experienceragmopVIPDined on 6/19/2014For our group of four Atlantans, knowledgable, energetic wait staff and pleasant surroundings on a mild evening made for an enjoyable meal. We chose an outside table beneath a canopy because rain was a possibility and were very comfortable. The menu had an interesting variety of well prepared dishes that were presented sensibly and attractively. None was especially memorable but we tried a couple of appetizers, salads, and four entrees and liked them all just fine. Our waiter's wine suggestions were a big hit with all of us.Special Features:
- heat issuesunseekerDined on 6/18/2014I'm giving only a fair rating due to the heat. We opted to eat inside since it was 90 degrees outside. To our amazement it was almost as hot indoors. We had the staff turn the ceiling fan off over our table due to the light/fan was causing a strobing issue. The only air besides ceiling fans appeared to be a portable air conditioner. I was sweating by the end of our dinner. Food was good and wait staff very accommodating.Special Features:
- quaint and quietfoodiefinderDined on 6/17/2014In town for work and found this on trip advisor. Very quiet but just what we needed! Service was great, food was even better! Will definitely mention if ever asked where to eat in Winston Salem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014Great general service but it took forever to be seated with a reservation and took forever to get food.Special Features:
- Great for all dining out experienceLuvwsdiningDined on 6/14/20144th St Filling Station is unique to be great for a romantic spot, great for groups, and great for kids. They have a wide menu, to fit all tastes, and the prices are reasonable. Service is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway leave here happySwinnyDined on 6/13/2014I have never left 4th st filling station with anyone that didn't fully enjoy their meal. Always a good choice, especially for picky eaters like myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousannegDined on 6/5/2014Very friendly staff. Great food. Excellent service. Thurs wine specials. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentbunnyDined on 6/4/2014Everything was purfect for my celbration lunch with a group of eight! The service was excellent and food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delayed seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We love 4th St Filling station and often take out of town guests there, particularly in warm weather because the patio is so inviting. Unfortunately, although I had requested patio seating when I made the reservation, we ended up inside after a lengthy wait (diners tend to linger when it is nice outside). We were seated next to the servers station which was busy and loud. Our orders, which were pretty basic, took longer than expected as well. Having said that, it was a Saturday and the wine festival. I will go back but if bringing guests would probably choose a less busy day. Handling groups of more than 4 during peak times seems to be iffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LinzDined on 5/31/2014Always so great for my 2 year old. We sat outside, the kids meals are delicious and we all had a great time. We brought an out of town guest as well who loved it. Love that they have a gluten free menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loavesandfishes2VIPDined on 5/31/2014Excellent neighborhood location and great menu options. Food items for Sunday brunch are good and regular lunch are good. Some waiters are excellent. Most are consistentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very goodBen33Dined on 5/30/2014The food was very good and the service was great as well. We booked on open table and were given an indoor table, it may be worth calling instead if you want to sit outdoors. The wine selection is okay but very reasonably pricedSpecial Features:
- Great food! Great Service!hsmomDined on 5/24/2014We had an awesome Graduation dinner! The outside ambience was so serene. Our waiter did an outstanding job with our party of 10. The food was delicious! Overall an excellent place to enjoy a special evening! We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice - but not special.....FreddyGDined on 5/23/2014Food is a bit above average. Service is nothing special. Seating outside is very nice in the evening.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome foodoutoftowneatingDined on 5/21/2014We stayed near the convention center this restaurant is on the top of the restaurant lists for Winston-Salem area I am glad we went! They did not get my open table reservation but still seated us. I had the shrimp and grits lt was amazingly goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- regular visitMasterbuilder1Dined on 5/18/2014When ever we are in Winston Salem this is our must visit place.Special Features:
- Graduation WeekendjaneDined on 5/17/2014We made a reservation on open table about 1 hour before we arrived. It was graduation weekend at Wake Forest and we were concerned about getting seated. When we arrived our table was ready in a nice location outdoors. The resturant was very busy, however our service was excellent. From the roles to dessert the meal was an A+. The fish was delicious as well as the pasta dish . This was my second time dining here, and both times we had great food and atmopshere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fails to ImpresseatoutoftenDined on 5/16/2014This is not our first visit to the Old Fourth Street Filling Station and we have enjoyed previous visits so we thought we would bring a couple of our friends who had not been to restaurant previously. Unfortunately, it did not meet our expectations and we will not bring friends there again unless they specifically ask to go there. Our service was poor and the food was just average on this trip. We were served by a young girl who obviously was intent on selling wine. She didn't ask if we drink wine and went on with her spiel even though our guests were in conversation. I finally had to stop her. It was like correcting one of my kids who was being rude. That was indicative of the service that evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- always enjoy going herecrumplerDined on 5/16/2014I love the outdoor seating. Food was very good. Service was great. Good wine list and choice of mixed drinks.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerLynnVIPDined on 5/11/2014My family went to The Filling Station for Mother's Day dinner. We arrived and were immediately escorted to our table. We sat on the patio, which is just beautiful! I ate the filet with a crab cake. The steak was cooked just as I ordered. The crab cake had a lot of crab meat and was flavorable. The rest of the party ate burgers. Everyone said the burgers were great. I could not have asked for a more beautiful evening to eat outside. We really enjoyed our experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.