The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
2741 West 4 Ave
Vancouver, BC V6K 1P9Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theoakwood.ca/
- Phone: 6045581965x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Late
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:45pm (first come seating policy for brunch)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Canadian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Murphy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro, a casual neighbourhood room specializing in down-to-earth Canadian fare. The Oakwood Canadian Bistro's food philosophy is focused on fresh, house-made dishes crafted from locally sourced products. The seasonally changing menu caters to market availability and the sustainability of the products. All meats are organic, local and free of hormones and antibiotics, while the seafood is sustainable, seasonal and Ocean Wise certified. From the breads and pastas to the butchery and sauces, all products are made in-house with quality and consistency.The Oakwood Canadian Bistro serves fresh, honest food in a casual neighbourhood environment. This modest Kitsilano room encourages diners to gather around the central communal table with old and new friends, sip wine and BC craft beers or one of their classic cocktails and linger over one of Chef Ryan Murphy's seasonally driven dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kitsilano ›
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (111)neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (58)good for groups (55)romantic (47)hot spot (46)great for brunch (22)late-night find (22)great for outdoor dining (18)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (17)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Slipped a notchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014I have dined at Oakwood 4 times, the most recent was Oct 22. All previous meals i had there were over the top GREAT and everyone loved and raved about the food. The menu we had this week is new, and i think the kitchen has yet to perfect them. The warm kale salad, bison carpaccio and the desserts were fab, the other dishes were good (lobster, pulled pork, mussels) but not exceptional or memorable like meals i have had there in the past. I hope they step it up, i am supposed to dine there again next week.Special Features:
- Outstanding!ScoobDined on 10/16/2014Hey Food Lovers, You have to go to The Oakwood Canadian Bistro. It's truly a gem. Fantastic food and great service. See you there. Bon appétit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent serviceAdventurerLindaDined on 10/15/2014My husband and I made a reservation before an evening out to the Theatre. We had to be out by a certain time. The restaurant and the staff were well awared and always made sure we were still on schedule. The food was better that I Had extected from a bistro and the decor very warm. We definitely would go back:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, easy environmentcrcyvrDined on 10/11/2014We just munched our way through the evening. Ask your server to surprise you with a cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 10/9/2014We made a reservation for 8pm on a Thursday, but weren't seated until almost 8:30pm. I wasn't impressed. The food was good and different. I took a girl here on a date and it was extremely awkward to stand in your tiny lounge area for 20 minutes. A waitress called us and took us in toward a table, but we were actually cut off by another waitress who took another two girls to a table-for-two. Our waitress apologized and moved us over to two seats at the bar where we waited another 5 minutes for a different table to open up. Once we were seated, things went smooth and food was good.Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerAKE1VIPDined on 10/9/2014A friend suggested this restaurant and she did not let us down. Food and drinks were amazing and the service was outstanding. We celebrated a family members birthday here and they made it extra special! Great way to start off our vacation in VancouverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continued casual charmwinecountrywayfarerDined on 10/8/2014Three diners with discerning palates recently descended on the Oakwood Bistro - a first visit for one, but return visits for the others. The ever-evolving seasonal menu continues to be a delight; the complex interplay of diverse flavours is never jarring, even with the random arrival times of each dish. The warm kale salad was perfect for an autumn evening, as was the pulled pork on miso pancake. Nice crowded-restaurant vibe, with lots of noise and happy faces. Good wine list selection with not bad pricing. I really like the concept of share plates, and their price points are reasonable too. This restaurant remains on my list of "must go" neighbourhood spots for Vancouver visits.Special Features:
- The Oakwood Canadian BistroFlowerboyDined on 10/8/2014This restaurant was recommended to me by one of the cities top concierge as one of his favourites and I can see why. The produce and other ingredients are delivered fresh from the farm daily and on your plate that night. It was slightly nastalgic as we reminisced about how much fresher things tasted when picked ripe out of the garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday goodnesskwoody1200Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent food, even better drinks, fantastic service. A great place to celebrate a birthday. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. This is one of the BEST places in Vancouver, hands down.Special Features:
- Something specialVancouverfanDined on 10/2/2014The food is fabulous, so are the waiters. I had my 50th birthday here with some good friends. I never regretted that I chose this spot. Highly recommended for a special occasion, when you want to eat special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first experience but not my lastbmarieVIPDined on 10/1/2014I loved the Oakwood! I reserved a table for four. We started with some cocktails, followed by shared family style plates of food, and wine. The ambiance was great and the food and service were terrific. I'll definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing but a touch pricy for sizeIndofoodieDined on 10/1/2014Pretty much my title says it all. Amazing food and incredible poutine! All I would say is that it's great to share multiple things but it does add up quite fast. Maybe if it was a touch more affordable I would go more often. But other than that it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbourhood Gemlove2eatDined on 9/25/2014We really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of this restaurant and its inventive food in our neighbourhood. The service was excellent and the food and presentation were outstanding. This restaurant recommends sharing the dishes which makes it all the more fun. We had mussels in coconut broth, braised beef cheeks, pulled pork on miso pancakes, roast duck breast with sunchoke agnolotti and Canadian poutine with brisket. We also left room for two desserts that the four of us shared. Everything was awesome.Special Features:
- great food!luv2dineDined on 9/23/2014Been back many times and this place never disappoints! Their menus change with the season and everything is cooked to perfection. Highly recommended for dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!iheartbutterandcreamDined on 9/20/2014The food was incredible, our server Candice was so pro and lovely . Atmosphere was romantic and decor beautiful .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing GemUWStudentDined on 9/20/2014My BF and I traveled to Vancouver for the first time and found this restaurant on Yelp. Make sure to make reservations at least a day in advance if you're planning on a weekend because we made dinner plans day of and could only get 5PM or 9PM! One thing to note is that the dishes are meant to be shared and come as they are prepared. The restaurant was cute, clean and well decorated. It felt very comfortable and the music was perfect. Then the food was absolutely amazing, we had the halibut and lobster tail and they were prepared in unique and fresh ways. The dessert was wonderful as well and everything was portioned wonderfully. I would definitely recommend and will be returning next time I'm in Vancouver!Special Features:
- Fantastic again!DelaynomoreDined on 9/19/2014Our third time there and the food was fantastic. The service was better than many fine dining establishments and restaurants that costs 3 times as much. Have not disappointed us yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/13/2014The food was really good and so were the drinks. Service was friendly and attentive. Highly recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's birthdayComfortableCamDined on 9/11/2014Took my mother here for her birthday, it was incredible. Everything was good, the halibut and duck confit were highlights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaladdinerDined on 9/10/2014The kale salad was the best I have ever eaten. Flatiron steak was perfectly cooked and the presentation was creative visually.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service & ambianceTrixieDined on 9/7/2014The food was good. The serving portions varied, some had good serving sizes, some not enough. The lobster serving was too small. Over all the ambiance and service was really good. The mussels have a great value for moneySpecial Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedjoleiDined on 9/2/2014It was the first visit for our little group of three and we were pleasantly surprised. They've crammed a lot of tables into a little space (read: not much privacy) but the décor and lighting were great. Menu is a little limited if you're a vegetarian - good thing we're not. Between the three of us, we ordered six dishes: bison carpaccio, rabbit rillette, warm kale salad (amazing), halibut (wished the lentil base was creamier), duck thigh (OMG amazingly tender and flavourful) and Cdn poutine (the brisket on top, however fragrant it was, was a bit too sweet for me). Great BC wine list too. Only downside aside from noise and feeling a tad crowded, was that the server never introduced himself and was a bit ostentatious for our liking.Special Features:
- Fantastic EveningjjtucciDined on 8/31/2014We entertained good friends from London, England at The Oakwood and they were impressed by the atmosphere and the excellent food. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inspired kitchencecileDined on 8/27/2014We loved this place - a bit noisey and it was packed but a wonderful experience. The food is superb - really - for a place of this size and location - it is exceptional. Service was friendly and good - we enjoyed the beer selection and the food was terrific. Rigatoni in sorrel sauce, lobster tail, roast duck with chestnut ravioli - what a delicious meal. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- I'll be backJulesDined on 8/27/2014Love the food, décor and service. the poutine with brisket was lovely, kale salad outstanding ~ the rillette fantastic. The service was great, wine list adequate & cocktails different and deelish..Special Features:
- Sharing the foodRolfDined on 8/27/2014We get a tip for this restaurant from an friend in germany. We like the way of eating an sharing the food together. The service was very friendly and the timing was good.Special Features:
- Great foodonecrazycupcakeDined on 8/26/2014Loved the food, especially the warm kale salad and rigatoni. Good service. Overall a very pleasant experience. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- still a gemrationalNumberDined on 8/15/2014We were so impressed the first time, we went back two days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemrationalNumberDined on 8/13/2014Great comfort food. Happy diners make a happy noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but lukewarm temperatureeateateatDined on 8/12/2014We really enjoyed this place and the food was very tasty, however, the food was also lukewarm.. We ordered the brisket poutine, confit duck, and the mussels, everything was delicious although it would've been better if the food was warmer. The price is reasonable, be both had a drink and three plates which came to $63 (tax in)!Special Features:
- DinnerBuzzDined on 8/10/2014Fantastic food and service - really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Impresses yet againFrankieBDined on 8/9/2014I've been here multiple times, and it's always good eats. That rabbit rillette... oh my goodness. Amazing.Special Features:
- Good place to meet with friendsMMVancouverDined on 8/9/2014After a day of shopping with friends, we stopped at the Oakwood Bistro. Who doesn't love their warm kale salad? (So good.) I tried the Halibut as an entree and found it to be divine. Enjoyed the carrot cake afterward. Appreciated all the recommendations made by our server.Special Features:
- My favorite Vancouver eaterylindsayasDined on 8/5/2014Ever since discovering this fabulous place, I take all of my out of towner foodies here to enjoy the fantastic menu. All items are shared plates, some big some small, with great variety. Most have a slight spin on the norm so you're always delighted and never bored. I would highly recommend this place...be sure to make a reso to avoid disappointment.Special Features:
- What a true delight!SaintCoolDined on 8/3/2014What a great little gem The Oakwood is! When I asked my friend where to eat in Kits, he said emphatically 'The Oakwood. My favourite place in the City'. I hadn't heard of it, so I checked it out online and from the first picture I was impressed. Safe to say, I was super excited to eat there and my anticipation was certainly rewarded! The room is cozy but cool and very inviting. I ordered a tuna dish to open, and the curry duck confit for a main. Both dishes were insanely good. Had a nice glass of Sea Star Siegrebbe that paired flawlessly with the spicy curry. After supper I had cocktail to finish off; the 'Angelica' made with Ungava Gin which was incredibly delicious too and bonus points for using Ungava. Can't wait to come back again!Special Features:
- Amazing!realfoodieDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I went to The Oakwood Bistro for my60th birthday dinner. I am a foodie, and this experience was amazing. The food choices, combinations of flavors and execution were truly some of the best I have tasted in years! So impressed. Our new favorite place hands down.Special Features:
- Worth tryingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Brunch here is great!!! My feelings about dinner are mixed. Our server was fantastic!! Recommendations were spot on. Everything we tried was amazing. But for $300 including tip we all left hungry :( We had 4 appys and 4 mains between 4 people and 2 drinks each. We took to the sharing idea that they propose, but I have to say the only shareable item we all got more then a bite or two of was the mussels. The food was fantastic for what they put on the plate. Very very very pricy for what they give you. I felt embarrassed when the food came because I remcomeded the place to my friends. I suggest a light snack before you go. And a dessert spot for after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flawless ExperienceChrev117Dined on 7/31/2014After eating at the Oakwood, I was very impressed and the restaurant quickly became my favorite. The menu was ambitious as it was appealing. The food was outstanding, with the bison carpaccio blowing me away. Service from Jasmine was fantastic, she was very knowledgeable about the food which is very helpful when trying to decide on such an interesting menu. The feel of the restaurant was great; small, quiet, unique design, and with a menu made to share, I recommend this restaurant to any foodies or people who like to try interesting things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dessertsBlondieDined on 7/30/2014We have been to the Oakwood a few times and have always loved the food, including the desserts. This visit, the desserts were so disappointing and ridiculously expensive for what you get. They used to have large "mason jar" desserts, a choice of three (3) amazing desserts. This night, we ordered the summer berry curd and it was teeny tiny. The taste was great, but the portion size was super disappointing for the price. We also ordered the fried octopus. Great flavour, tiny portion for what you get. We may have received 10 small strips of octopus. Again, portion size was lacking at this price point.Special Features:
- WOWAvikoDined on 7/25/2014I am not one of those that eat and tell but in this case I had to. We had a reservation for my wife's birthday and waited for no more than 10 minutes before we got a table as our designated table wan't ready. We immediately got two glasses of sparkling wine for the wait which is very impressive as we didn't say anything to anyone.That right there was the first start of a great night.The waitress was great and professional and the food...oh the food. The warm kale salad was great,the burger was amazing and the roast duck breast with chestnut agnolotti(wow) was unbelievable. The Smokin' Barrel was one of the best drinks I had in a while. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.