The Mill on the River
989 Ellington Road
South Windsor, CT 06074Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Mill on the River
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themillontheriver.com/
- Phone: (860) 289-7929
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Mill on the River offers private dining locations for groups of 20 to 120. All of our banquet rooms blend our facility's New England atmosphere with modern set-up configurations and technology. The ability to customize your menu and setting make The Mill on the River the perfect location to host Business Meetings, Retirements, Seminars, and Corporate Retreats.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Manager 8602897929
A word from The Mill on the River
Located just minutes from Hartford and Springfield, The Mill on the River has been a premier dining location for over 25 years. Located on the shores of the Podunk River, the restaurant is housed in a remodeled grist mill. The classic New England ambiance is the perfect compliment to the modern American menu. The extensive menu features classic Continental cuisine with inventive International influences as well as fresh seafood and quintessential chop house offerings. Located in an ideal rural setting, local produce and regional specialty items are predominately featured. With a Wine Spectator Award winning wine list, The Mill on the River offers over 400 wine bottles and over 50 wines by the glass. In addition to the refined dining room, waterfront patio dining is also requested often. The restaurant is open seven days a week for lunch, dinner, and the popular Sunday Brunch. The new bar area is also open all day for a lighter fare menu, casual abiance, and creative cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Mill on the River - Best Restaurants in South Windsor ›
The Mill on the River reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (102)scenic view (101)romantic (93)great for outdoor dining (57)good for groups (55)notable wine list (54)fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (51)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (18)hot spot (14)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- DOES NOT DISAPPOINTJAGUARDined on 11/19/2014Once again the Mill on the River was wonderful. Our friends who we brought had the same opinion that we do - a real quality restaurant. Our waiter Arlo is a gem who has great recommendations, a fabulous personality and a way about him that enhances your dinner experience. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner Out.Grammasweets24Dined on 11/17/2014We went to Mill on the River for my husband's birthday. Each member of our family chooses a special place for their birthday dinner. We had an excellent meal with great ambiance and our server, Emily, was extremely attentive. She made us feel welcome and special. We will go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SBooDined on 11/16/2014My wife Nicole and I were married at the Mill on the River last November under the gazebo. We returned on our 1st anniversary. We were welcomed by the staff and treated like old friends. The food, atmosphere and service is always stellar. We look forward to our next visit and our spending our future anniversaries with the great folks at Mill on the River.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014We have been here several times and always have great food and excellent service. We would recommend it for just a night out or for a special occasion. Be sure to try it....enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a little off the mark.handquilterDined on 11/7/2014Usually excellent in all areas but this time the food was slightly off. I had scallops that were a tad to caramelized and made it feel like I was eating sand along with the scallop, and one of the desserts was just a little dry. We will return and try again as we have been here before and it was wonderful on every level.Special Features:
- GREAT DININGJAGUARDined on 11/5/2014Thanks to the great ambiance, Justin the Manager and Arlo our fabulous waiter, our visit to the Mill on the River was Super. My wife and I had not been there in years and thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. Going back with another couple on 11/19 and hope to get Arlo as our waiter.Special Features:
- What a delight!GladDined on 11/2/2014The food and service are both excellent. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic for BrunchMjc019copVIPDined on 11/2/2014Dined her with 7 other guests for brunch. The setting was nice, the staff attentive, interior dated but cosy. Some of the food was not prepared to expectations ie: french toast way over cooked. But, the overall foord experience was satisfactory and priced right. The foods at the brunch buffet table were prepared well and of good quality. The desserts were very good. A place to consider for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticTGB33Dined on 10/29/2014It had been years since I ate at Mill on the River. We decided to go on our anniversary for dinner. The good was absolutely fantastic and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeCharlieDined on 10/29/2014The only negative thing I would say is you need to update your menu. We came in for my wife's 30th BDay and she could not get what she wanted. Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho - if it's a seasonal thing, it shouldn't be on the fall menu. The Steak Frites...not sure why the chef could not make a chimichurri sauce since it contains pretty much a select few items...none of which are seasonal. We were told it was also seasonal and she couldn't get it. Don't get me wrong, we love the place and will be back, but the other night just wasn't up to par. Either change the menu, or the waiter should tell the guest what is off the menu before we plan to order.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Every thing was good.We requested a table by the water WE did not get it.That was dissapointingSpecial Features:
- DateHotdateDined on 10/25/2014very good seabass. Good experience for first time. I will come back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PamelaDined on 10/25/2014We have always enjoyed Mill on the River for their consistent great food and a lovely evening atmosphere with soft lighting. Visited them many times and never a bad meal. Well trained, polite servers enhance the quality of the dinner experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Our party of three chose items from the Octoberfest menu selections. They were all delicious. The butternut squash soup was exceptonal. Our waiter was very attentive, helpful and personable despite the restaurant appearing to be filled capacity. The menu itself is interesting with a nice variety of creative selections.Special Features:
- Will be back!!!BlakeMDined on 10/24/2014Mill on the River gave us an excellent dinner for our 5th Wedding Anniversary meal out and away from the young one. Service was excellent with the food cooked perfectly. Even had room left over for a slice of cheesecake that we both split. They sat us at a window seat that gave a wonderful view of the waterfall, as requested when I made the on-line reservation. Will be returning soon and I recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than we expectedPowercoupleDined on 10/23/2014Looked great on the website and we heard it was good. Turned out to be better than we even expected. Food was excellent and a very comfortable atmosphere made for a great anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Families gathered for birthday celebration and enjoyed great food and service. Highly recommend for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely would come backJMo1348Dined on 10/18/2014Had a nice dinner here. Our reservation was a little backed up but the hostess was very kind and eventually brought out appetizers while we waited. We were seated and our waitress was great! Attentive and kind. Food was great also. B.L.T wedge salad was great, although a little too much dressing for me. I had a great Airline Chicken and my pear and cranberry cobbler for dessert was amazing! I would come back.Special Features:
- Restaurant a WeekSweettoothDined on 10/17/2014It was restaurant week in CT last week. Have always enjoyed the atmosphere at "The Mill" and Thierry prefixed restaurant well menu was appealing. The service was phenomenal and the food was fantastic!!Special Features:
- Great Place for Anniversary!JuanDined on 10/17/2014Enjoyed the food, the place. Everything is good! With Reservation, we did not have to wait. Staff is friendlySpecial Features:
- Beautiful lunch spot--any timeDandPVIPDined on 10/13/2014Excellent food served in an old mill atmosphere....updated beautifully, with fireplace, window views of the waterfall, and just comfortable an delegate settings. Food choices outstanding, along with the presentation and food sevice. If you have not been here, truly come. A choice meal for any occasion.Special Features:
- Mill on the River review40yearbrideDined on 10/5/2014Great place for a romantic evening dinner for 2. We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary and were seated at an intimate table overlooking the waterfall as requested. Waitress made special note of our occasion and we were delighted to receive a small flute of champagne and some delicious chocolate covered strawberries at the end of our meal. French onion soup was the best I have had in years!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good OverallsassafrasDined on 10/5/2014Ate here on a late Sunday afternoon. It was surprisingly crowded. Goos menu and wine list. Most of the food was quite good. My lamb was almost too tough to cut with a knife, but my wife had the same dish and hers was fine. The appetizer, side dishes, and desserts were all very good. The service was excellent. The decor looked a bit old, but perhaps that was intentional as part of the mill decor. Overall, not bad and we would return if in the area again.Special Features:
- Return CustomersluggomagooDined on 10/4/2014I always take my wife here for her birthday. It's what she wants. The food is always good and the service is as good as it gets. I just don't like the sound level and layout of the dinning room that much. If there's a wedding or other party you can hear it through the ceiling but it isn't that bad. The food all but makes up for that for sure. They have an excellent wine list too. We had the shrimp cocktail for starters which was cooked perfectly, nice and crisp. The Hunter's Veal (Jaggersnitzle) almost brings me back to 1983 in Cochem, Germany. It comes with mashed potatoes and the best purple cabbage I've ever had. It would be difficult for me not to clean my plate. Desert was excellent. I had the chocolate cake. It was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pet Peeve-being seated ½ hr latesallyddVIPDined on 10/3/2014I understand the challenge of guessing how long parties will stay at dinner, but with a reservation I do not expect to be seated 30 minutes late. The manager did buy us a round of drinks, which was nice. The food was very good, the highlight being the molten chocolate dessert.
- EnjoyableSandyDined on 9/29/2014Food well presented..portions generous…romantic venueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food LoverFreedom1Dined on 9/29/2014Food was very good, service was very good, atmosphere was very quaint. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- A good start then service droppedCTResidentDined on 9/28/2014Our server Jen was fantastic to start, really going the extra mile. The food was fantastically cooked, especially the rib-eye. However, it wasn't long until our server was perhaps oversat, as a group of 10+ elderly women, another group of 6 people, a family with multiple children, another couple, etc. wound up all sat in her area as well. My wife and I sat for quite some time waiting for Jen to return so we could look at a dessert menu. Then waited a long time for dessert to arrive and even longer to get our check so we could leave. The service started fantastic but ended on a sour note for us, based more on the volume of other customers rather than on Jen herself.Special Features:
- DonnaMDined on 9/28/2014My first time at the Mill on the River for brunch. A beautiful day, excellent service, great food. My only regret was not thinking ahead and asking for a table outside. I will definitely return to this restaurant for brunch!!Special Features:
- Nice dinnertravelladyDined on 9/27/2014The restaurant is located next to the river and has done great landscaping around. It is nice to stay indoor or outdoor. The food was excellent and for wine list they deserve Wine Enthusiast award. Really great place to have a romantic dinner or to celebrate the special occasion. It is priced very reasonably for higher end of the restaurant. I would recommend the visit. Service was professional and friendly. I will come back for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014A great place!! Great service and food. BUT we ate at the MOTR on Sat 09-27 and their was a wedding downstairs. The noise was way too much. That was very disappointing as we were not warned about it before we sat down to eat. Aside from this, a good dinner all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mill on the RiverNewingtonJohnDined on 9/27/2014From my initial visit over 25 years ago, the Mill on the River has become a dining destination of choice when I try to impress my special guests. Over the years the menus have obviously changed, but the level of quality, selections, service and a romantic setting always remain wonderfully same. My most recent visit here did not fail to impress me and my guests once again. Mill on the River was, is and will remain as my favorite special dining destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014No sooner did we sit down when a waiter rather rudely dropped warm rolls onto our plates. He actually stood there until we moved our menus. Then the waitress came repeatedly while we were waiting for our drinks, which took a long time to arrive. Touting a $150.00 bottle of wine for $120.00 strikes me as pretentious. After drinks arrived, she was back again and again.Special Features:
- Most romantic dining location!!CTFoodie4UVIPDined on 9/21/2014I've been dining at your restaurant for many years. From my sisters wedding to my wife's 30th birthday I'm always impressed as I leave your establishment The ambiance that has escalated over the years with modern renovations Is a wonderful SW Gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch pretty goodBrunchDined on 9/21/2014The complimentary bloody mary didn't seem to have any vodka in it but the smoked salmon at the continental buffet was very good as were the deserts. The pastries were terrible, dry. Everyone enjoyed their brunch menu items (seafood crepes, salmon). I had the eggs benedict which was satisfying, good breakfast potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerCalhDined on 9/19/2014We went to the Mill on the River on a Friday night. Our request for a window table was quickly accommodated. We had gone specifically to participate in the 2014 dinner, a promotion a number of restaurants in the area which offers a three course dinner for $20.14. When we were seated, we were given the regular menu and there was no mention of the promotion. When asked, the promotional menu was quickly offered and we did choose from that. All of the food we had was wonderful - roasted tomato soup, served hot the way I like it; salmon with fingerling potatoes and seasonal vegetables; and a warm apple strudel for dessert. A great experience. Our server, Emily, was pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The waitress was very engaging. The meals (3)were all delicious. It is one of my favorite places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food as usual, but . . .CinCTVIPDined on 9/18/2014If you want the advertised special, you have to ask for it. We went Thursday night, Sept 18, because of the advertised special "Taste of the Suburbs" menu, but the waiter presented us only with the higher-priced usual menu and did not mention the special offering at all. When we asked about their $20.14 menu, he went to get those, and we ordered from them. But the impression we got was one of deceit. That said, the food was good as usual, and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LennyVIPDined on 9/16/2014As always the cuisine was exceptional and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- diner101Dined on 9/13/2014We went for the first time because of the CT restaurant week. Arriving you have to walk through a small area that is used by smokers, and there were smokers! Definitely smelly. As we left we even saw the restaurant manager smoking there. Bibb lettuce salad just ok, salmon was tasty though I sent mine back for being overcooked. Second one was better and the apple dessert was very good.