The Lark - Santa Barbara
131 Anacapa St. Suite A
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Lark - Santa Barbara
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelarksb.com/
- Phone: 8052840370x
- Hours of Operation:
5:00 p.m. - Closing Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Late Night Bar Menu available
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jason Paluska
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Contact our Special Events Director at 805.284.0370 or email at email@example.com
- Public Transit: Enjoy a train ride to Santa Barbara from southern or northern California and meet us at The Lark. No driving required.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking available or use nearby street parking. Substantial parking is available at the Santa Barbara train station, just a block away.
A word from The Lark - Santa Barbara
The Lark pays homage to the history of California train travel and tributes the treasured and long gone Santa Barbara Fish Market, built in the 1920’s as a commercial fish processing plant, shipping their seafood products throughout the state by rail. With an imaginative yet approachable menu created by the gifted Jason Paluska, The Lark celebrates everything found around Santa Barbara County – wineries, farms, ocean and natural beauty. The stunning design strives to connect to the past and the future, using discovered objects from the past and blending them with modern, urban and industrial materials to spectacular effect.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Lark - Santa Barbara - Best Restaurants in Santa Barbara ›
The Lark - Santa Barbara reviews from OpenTable diners
294 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (242)great for outdoor dining (236)hot spot (207)neighborhood gem (153)vibrant bar scene (148)special occasion (148)good for groups (109)notable wine list (88)romantic (77)late-night find (56)kid-friendly (19)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (11)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Excellent service, adventuresome food, great atmosphere. . .just a bit too loud in the main room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014OYSTERS ON THE HALF SHELL - were bland, sitting in water and not their own liquor. MELON & CUCUMBER - Great idea, poorly executed. Honeydew and cantaloupe were mushy and should not have been used. DUNGENESS CRAB & HOUSEMADE GNOCCHI - fantastic. Crab was fresh and the gnocchi was creamy.
- Would I Recommend This To A Friend?LisaVIPDined on 9/27/2014You bet. Every chance I get to recommend The Lark is a pleasure! The Lark is the best for "everything" you want in Santa Barbara. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Lark is My Place!LisaVIPDined on 9/24/2014Just when you think you had enough pleasure at the Lark, they just keep making it better! They changed up the menu and added a few new goodies for all to enjoy - and boy do you enjoy. Thank you Lark for keeping my experience the best. You are my place!Special Features:
- Fantastic food + outdoor fireplacevinaVIPDined on 9/24/2014Yes please!!! Interesting menu, great combination of tastes, nice local wines, all to be consumed on a cozy, firepit-lit patio. We had the fried olives, the Brussels sprouts, the beets and goat cheese salad, the heirloom tomato basil feta salad, and the grilled octopus with couscous. All of it was incredibly tasty, and I would get all of it again in a heartbeat. Thoroughly enjoyed this visit!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Great ambience, food just ok. My main course was so salty I could not finish it.Special Features:
- must like pepperkatonkDined on 9/21/2014We had a hard time trying to avoid pepper on the menu. There are a variety of peppers in different dishes which often required us to ask how spicy is this type of pepper? We had a charcuterie plate, crab gnocchi and fish (branzini) The dishes came out and yes the jalapeno was omitted from the gnocchi as we requested but both dishes were heavy on the cumin which was probably a custom hotter blend. The gnocchi were in a heavier cream cumin sauce which totally overpowered any hint of a crab taste in the dish. The fish was good but it would have been nice to have 2 dishes that complement each other instead of both of them tasting very similar. If we go back we would probably try the roasted chicken which we also saw being served.Special Features:
- The Lark sings!HabaneroDined on 9/21/2014This place us deservedly crowded as it is fantastic. Try the communal table if you can't get a reservation. Chicken with smashed potatoes, onions and pancetta is a winner. The panzanella and other salads are great and big enough to share. The divers scallops are delicious, too. One of the best places in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014One of the best places anywhere. Unique food preparation and presentation. Wonderful flavors. Great ambiance and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Heart Belongs To The LarkLisaVIPDined on 9/20/2014Yep....every single time. The Lark is it! I never tire of this place - it's magic. The food continues to please, please and please me! And I love the service...you guys rock.Special Features:
- SkylerbarancDined on 9/20/2014Skyler is AMAZING, and one of the reasons why we "frequent" The Lark! He is the the ultimate in providing friendly and professional service; and makes you feel so welcome when you arrive at the restaurant! The food is excellent, as is the service!Special Features:
- The Lark Made Our TripPenquinVIPDined on 9/20/2014An acquaintance said we had to try The Lark - well, we did and we will return to California soon to enjoy it again!!!! From the friendly valet parkers to the hostess to the bar to the table and our outstanding server we didn't miss a beat and we had no regrets. The ambience of the patio was outstanding and the hostess remembered that my Open Table reservation asked for a quiet one because of hearing issues! This means a lot. We had four or five courses of "to die for" food - each course seemed to outdo the previous one in creativity, preparation and presentation. Creative combinations of fresh foods along with special spices and "just the right prep" are here. Go before it is too late to get a reservation ! Must do in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeLlmelyteVIPDined on 9/19/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants ever. Food is always delicious and fantastic. Service is amazing. Ambience is always perfect. Love coming here whenever I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but pricey.SurfDawgDined on 9/19/2014Signature drinks are incredible, The Apple Jack was my favorite, the Mule comes in a close second. Service was also very good. Server was polite/attentive, quite knowledgable about menu and ingredients. Of the 7 tapas we ate, the brussels spouts were surprisingly awesome. and the bone marrow was good too, but I was expecting a larger part of the shank for a beefier favor, the bread served with the bone marrow was a bit too spicy and it killed the delicate fatty favor of the marrow. Dessert was heavenly, the chicory ice cream sandwich was spot on. Over-all the lark is a hit but a tad pricey. The ambiance of the restaurant and quality and favor are very good. The Lark for me will be for special occasions and once in a while food spot.Special Features:
- The Lark IS Outstanding!LisaVIPDined on 9/17/2014Simply the best spot in town for the best food, drink and company. I can't say enough of about the goodness that I experience at The Lark! Go there, don't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CGJGDined on 9/16/2014Did not like the ecclectic food. Would NEVER go back.Special Features:
- My Place In Santa BarbaraLisaVIPDined on 9/13/2014You would think I would tire of this place, since I go there, 3 times a week. Yup, I'm guilty of going there that much. The Lark is the best place to eat, hang and just, well, feel good. The food is creative and excellent each and every time. I can go on and on about The Lark, but simply I will suggest this: get in your car and go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In TownLisaVIPDined on 9/12/2014Simply the best in town. The Lark is like no other here in Santa Barbara. Always the best on every level. I love them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAngieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great service and food, will definitely return. Loved the locationSpecial Features:
- Brilliant!BellinskiDined on 9/12/2014Wife and I visited for our anniversary and were not dissapointed. The atmosphere and decor were nicely done and it was obvious the staff and kitchen were proud of the great food they served. Would come back anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be stellarDimmyDined on 9/11/2014This is hands down the best dining experience in Santa Barbara! The food is outstanding and creative, the service is a big step above anything else in SB, and the energy and ambiance are very fun. The new pork chop is a new favorite, the crag gnocchi is delicious. Love The Lark!Special Features:
- Food serviceAdubDined on 9/9/2014First I want to say the server was very friendly and knowledgable with the menu. The server expressed all plates are meant for sharing, and the food ordered would be appropriately spaced/coursed for sharing. The order in which the courses arrived was kind of funky, but that wasn't a big deal. The big deal, was at one point 4 plates of food basically came out at once, and we were at a small outside table. They arrived one min after the next. It was very intrusive, and each time we had to play the game of Tetris trying to make room for each platter, moving our water glasses, our cocktail glasses, the current platters on the table. It was annoying, and for the price of the dishes, they should know better. It made the experience 'not the best'.Special Features:
- As alwaysSbloveDined on 9/7/2014Service was excellent. We were a group of five and tried many different dishes tapas style. Everything was a big hit, the pavlova was amazing. I love the feel of the outside seating, even thigh Santa Barbara is gorgeous you almost feel transformed to France or Italy. Skykar is still there smiling at everyone as the dine and always has a kind word to say. Will return in my next trip back...Special Features:
- Surprise in Santa BarbarabobinloveDined on 9/7/2014We went for our wedding anniversary and were delighted by the food, service, and ambience. Also great, we didn't have to slog through Santa Barbara proper to get here. The location was easily accessible and the valet parking free.Special Features:
- Across the board excellence!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014From the front desk, to the server, to the bus staff and runners, great service! Food delicious and intriguing! Thank you for a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super!LisaVIPDined on 9/5/2014My favorite...dear Lark! Perfect every time. The best place in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KashtankaKashtankaDined on 9/5/2014The food here is always creative and well presented. Our two vegetarians were quite happy as were our carnivores. The skirt steak was to die for. I especially liked that we were not rushed at all and that the food was well paced. And excellent service staff. Week-ends are a bit crowded (tables very close together).Special Features:
- Rushed Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014The Lark is the hot spot in SB for foodies. We had an early reservation and were seated immediately. Right from the start we felt rushed through the evening. We said we would choose a wine and the server asked twice in short succession if we were ready to order a wine. As the wine was delivered (one glass was the wrong wine) we were asked what we wanted and decided to share both a salad and a hanger steak plates. The salad was fresh produce and a great flavor combination. Unfortunately we were half way through our salad when the hanger steak arrived at the table. We refused it. We also noticed other tables had the same issue with plates arriving out of sequence. Great food but not the professional experience expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Dining at the LarkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014Visited the Lark for my Mom's 60th Birthday and it didn't disappoint. The family style dining means the portions are good sized and perfect for our party of 4 to split. We had the pimiento cheese, charred broccolini, gnocchi with crab and whole roasted branzino for our dinner. Then for dessert shared a delicious passion fruit and white chocolate number. Highly recommend this Santa Barbara hot spot.Special Features:
- Overindulgedmangia2Dined on 9/4/2014Party of two, we were told to order all dishes at once without knowing how large they were--too much food for us to finish. Dishes tend to be over done, the thin layer of goose liver pate was indistinguishable with the thick bread, balsamic, and strawberries. We booth enjoyed the scallops, the most simple prep allowed the delicate scallops to shine. Wine list is lovely.Special Features:
- SPECTACULARFineDiningFanaticVIPDined on 9/3/2014This establishment is becoming the best in Santa Barbara. Food, beverage, and service are unchallenged by any other local hot spot. Ryan the manager came by the table a few times to ensure we were enjoying our dining experience, which we absolutely did! The full cheese board, charcuterie plate and brussels sprouts are must for starters. Scallops, gnocchi and steak are great for entrees. Overall a wonderful evening in an a great lively atmosphere. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dining experience!PetraDined on 9/3/2014All dishes we ordered were fantastic in taste and look. Had a great seat indoors inside the confession stand, which was nice and private. Way too much food for 2 people, but worth tasting it all and taking leftovers home. Dessert is a must, even when belly is full! Server was very informative on the dishes and drinks, helping us make great decisions. Restaurant filled up quickly and got crowded, but didn't bother us, since we were in the corner by ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family styleEddieVIPDined on 9/3/2014The food was served family style. We liked being able to enjoy everything without eating off each other's plate. Very generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed, hip hot spotNotVeganDined on 9/2/2014We thought The Lark was our best restaurant in quite some time. A perfect balance of the relaxed vibe appropriate for a resort town and hipness factor for the LA/SF crowds who vacation in Santa Barbara. We tried the Brussels sprouts, little gems salad, grilled octopus, ribeye, and chocolate pot de creme for dessert. All delicious and recommended. I made a reservation 2-3 weeks in advance for a Tuesday night, good thing because it was hopping. Loved sitting outside under the cafe lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like a factorymagnolia123Dined on 9/2/2014This was the 2nd time I have been to the lark, both times the food was a mix -- some dishes were stellar (brussel sprouts, gnocchi, pavlova were stand outs) and some were okay/bad (chicory ice-cream bar (over salted), diver scallops, (not good). It is the service drives me crazy -- I can read the menu perfectly well and I do NOT need my server to recite it to me or tell me what's not on the menu. It is also strange to have a good 6-8 different people come bring you your food, basically a new person for each dish, including the popcorn. I also noticed a girl who was working there, lurking around the tables taking notes on what diners were eating. Weird big brother vibe going on - I think I'll be staying away for a long time.Special Features:
- Great spotDhjsjajaiDined on 8/30/2014This is a great spot for dinner. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was really fun. Everything is family style so be prepared to share your plate. The back patio is really pretty and a good date spot. Would recommend this spot to anyone looking for a lively restaurant in Santa Barbara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The Lark!LisaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Always the best food, best service, and darn near the best time is at The Lark! Got a go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service & food to die fordinner42Dined on 8/30/2014Made reservations and waited three minutes before our beautiful patio table was ready. Extemely attentive staff, well trained and easy to converse with. Excellent menu knowlwedge and she paced our courses well. Food was well prepared and showcased perfectly. A real treat to be given an aray of food with different textures and distinctive flavor combinations. It was a two hour dinner not to be forgotten. Will return when in Santa Barbara at Thanksgiving. A must food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular but not amazing as expected1chance2impressDined on 8/29/2014Based on rave reviews, I made sure to book this place when my BFF & hubby came to town. I always lean towards the "sure thing" when entertaining guests as it takes the stress out of being disappointed. Unfortunately, The Lark fell way short of expectations. The menu seemed a bit confusing as dishes are meant to be "shared" and appetizer dishes are not clearly marked. Presentation was a bit confusing as well since the dishes come with sides making you feel as though you're sifting to get to the entree. We had the salmon dish which was more like an appetizer which we did not expect. And both the Octopus and Flank Steak dishes had a bitter after taste. This place is very pricey, so, would not, in good conscience, recommend The Lark to anyone.
- Amazing Experience!ChrisMDined on 8/29/2014I could not be more thrilled with my experience at The Lark! Not only was our server AMAZING (so knowledgeable and friendly) but the food and drinks surpassed my expectations... which were already set kind of high after hearing numerous reviews. I would like to give a shout out to Victoria, our server. She made us feel like we were the only ones in the restaurant (which we clearly were not) and spent just enough time with us and spoke about the food selections, drinks, atmosphere, etc. We never felt like she was hovering trying to turn over our table - just wanted us to have a great experience. It was a perfect evening and fantastic meal. I will not return to Santa Barbara without making sure I take a trip back to this restaurant.Special Features: