The Greek Islands Restaurant
906 South Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
The Greek Islands Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://greekislandsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3176360700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Angela Stergiopoulos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We would love to cater your next event!! Be the hit at your next event by having something different, something amazing, something homemade and make it a "Big Fat Greek" event! Opa!
- Entertainment: Live music once a month. Belly dancing every Friday and Saturday night. The belly dancing schedule and entertainment updates are posted on our Facebook page--The Greek Islands Restaurant
A word from The Greek Islands Restaurant
The Greek Islands Restaurant has been owned and operated by the Stergiopoulos family since 1987 and is the place to go for authentic and homemade Greek food in Indianapolis. Come and enjoy wonderful food, fine Greek wines, ice cold Greek beer, and a larger than life atmosphere at the Greek Islands where there is belly dancing every Friday and Saturday night and the cheese (saganaki) is always on FIRE!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Greek Islands Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (4)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Wonderful quick lunchOpentablefriendVIPDined on 9/16/2014We had lunch in well under an hour, including the flaming cheese! The food is SO good and the service was excellent as well. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Excellent GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Good selection, generous portions, excellent flavorSpecial Features:
- Outstanding lunchShellySVIPDined on 9/5/2014Great local family restaurant. I shared with two friends who had never dined at the Greek before to one of my favorite restaurants in downtown Indianapolis. All of us agree that the food was excellent and service was outstanding. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Not bad!LuckyJewDined on 8/23/2014Food and service were great. Seating and ambiance were lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dinner Experience- Opa!LuvGreekFoodDined on 7/12/2014Our total experience was EXCELLENT. Being of Greek heritage, I can tell you the food is authentic, the atmosphere is very Greek and it reminded me of everything I remember from my youth when my Grandfather took me to Greek restaurants and introduce me to the wonders of Greek cooking. Indianapolis is lucky to have the Greek Islands. It is every bit as good (if not better) than many of the Greek Town restaurants in Chicago (Halsted Street). Anyone traveling to, or even near, Indianapolis should include the Greek Islands as a "must eat" spot. Mark Samaras Waverly, IllinoisSpecial Features:
- Fun and Family Friendly Atmosphere!Shell82Dined on 7/4/2014This was my second time dining here and it was just as great as the first time. The hummus is the best in town! Though, the flaming cheese is the heavy favorite. Also, the staff is incredible. They are so very nice and welcoming, that you feel like family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the BEST Greek food in IndyBigFanOfTheGreeksDined on 6/21/2014Went on a Saturday night for a birthday dinner, the place was happening. Belly dancer roams the restaurant on weekends, which was an awesome touch. The food is the best in town in its authenticity. Portion sizes are more than enough and they have a nice selection of Greek beer & wines. I will definitely be going back soon. OPA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on MeridianTimFDined on 6/18/2014An absolute gem on South Meridian Street! Super service, great food and very large portions for a surprisingly reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotOpentablefriendVIPDined on 6/16/2014Love the chicken slovakki. Potatoes are my favorite side. Authentic Greek food!Special Features:
- The following 102 reviews are from the The Greek Islands Restaurant reviews archive.
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014The food was good, as always. Our service was lacking. I asked our waitress for a glass of water multiple times which she never delivered. I could see her in the kitchen area talking to other employees so it was not a busy period. The restaurant was fairly slow when we arrived. Another waiter came by and I ask for water which was promptly delivered. While we were still dining the waitress delivered our check and stated she would take it any time. Maybe it was a bad day, maybe it was a bad waitress.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!AlumnusDined on 5/11/2014We held our post-IUPUI graduation party at The Greek Islands restaurant. We were treated like family from the moment we walked in the door. They found a vase for our graduate's flowers to keep the flowers fresh while we ate. The food was terrific. Penny provided outstanding service. The ambience was just what we wanted after a long day of sitting through graduation ceremonies. The Greek Islands restaurant is now definitively on our list of "favorite restaurants" in the downtown area. Opa!Special Features:
- Just like familyJK64Dined on 4/30/2014I love coming to Greek Islands. I'm always treated like family. The atmosphere is comfortable, the food wonderful, and the service warm, friendly, and appropriate. I never feel rushed nor do I feel like I ever wait on anything. The small, cozy restaurant helps create a warm, inviting, and comfortable experience. Opal!Special Features:
- Fantastic food and you alwaysBeckyDined on 3/13/2014Fantastic food and you always feel like family when you walk in the door.Special Features:
- Wonderful authentic lunchOpentablefriendVIPDined on 3/12/2014Fabulous lunch! Chicken Sovalida is wonderful . Reasonable price for quantity and quality ! Love desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTJF4Dined on 2/21/2014Nothing fancy but very authentic family owned staple in Indianapolis. A personal favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Flavors!caylinhaDined on 2/14/2014We were immediately greeted by the staff like old friends! Big Papa was lifting a baby into the air and Mama Fofo was greeting guests at another table. Wine samples were brought to us and the belly dancer began to entertain the diners. It was like walking into the living room of a large Greek family. The food was FANTASTIC!! The flavors were INCREDIBLE!! Words simply cannot do the food justice. We drove to the restaurant in terrible weather. The 45 minute trek took us just over two hours - and it was SO worth it! The restaurant is definitely a "hole in the wall" gem and a new favorite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must tryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/8/2014Everything about this place is great! Owners make you feel like family in the family owned restaurant. The food and service is outstanding! They even have belly dancers on the weekend which is a lot of fun.Special Features:
- never too late to review this placeChefCarnicelliDined on 2/5/2014I love the food, very authentic, delicious, great service. If you are picky about decorations and paying too much attention to furniture and stuff then you can have your senses blocked for the real food experience, tables and chairs and decorations are way old, teared and outdated, although very clean. I would never stop going because of the looks of the place as I am always pleased with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeCclayton65Dined on 12/31/2013The food was great and the staff was awesome. Can't say enough about his place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemTrysomethingnewDined on 12/31/2013Greek Islands has great prices & great food. The portions are generous and tasty. The place is small so there is not a lot of private space. The owner was present, but maybe a little too present and distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opa!JAYatJWIndyVIPDined on 12/29/2013From start to finish, this family-operated restaurant was great. Both my friend and I ordered the AROUND THE ISLANDS, a tasty combination of Moussaka, Pasticchio, Gyros and pita bread. It was a great way to sample the menu. The portions were ample, and we both took food home with us. The kitschy decor and friendly service made the meal even better. It felt like we were guests in a home, rather than a restaurant. Oh, don't forget to try the flaming Saganaki. Opa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner, but no show pleaseindyguyDined on 12/28/2013Dinner was good. It's hard to find restaurants that don't sell Italian, American, steak, which makes the restaurant stand out. During dinner a belly dancer made her way past the tables, which I personally found loud and obtrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreekJohnDined on 12/13/2013Love this place. Great food and family owned. The atmosphere is fine but it can get loud when the belly dancer performs. It's all in good fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsSS12Dined on 12/13/2013We are always satisfied with our dining experience after leaving Greek Islands. The food is great, the atmosphere is fun and the service is usually really good. I have never ordered anything I have been disappointed with. I'd definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRouverDined on 12/7/2013Fun atmosphere, great food, friendly staff. While we were there, one of the staff grabbed the keys from patrons, moved their car & talked the officer out of giving them a $300 parking ticket (they were next to the hydrant). We've been more than once, but this was the first time we'd seen the belly dancer. She was wonderful, graceful, and not intrusive to people who weren't interested in her entertainment. I'd definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Lucas, great food & $MSUMindyDined on 12/7/2013This was our second time at Greek Islands, with our team being in the B1G Championship game. We were not disappointed.we had an excellent Sagnaki, great entrees, and a very good rice pudding for dessert. Unfortunately, they were out of Gelato-Bourakis, a fantastic dessert. The prices are very inexpensive, providing a good value for a nice portion. The Greek islands is a small place, holding about 70 patrons. This gives it a very intimate feel. Since they are about 4 blocks from Lucas Oil Stadium, people are dressed pretty casually. There is a nice sportsmanship between groups of diners from opposing teams. I highly recommend The Greek Islands.Special Features:
- Great FoodIndyFoodieVIPDined on 11/30/2013Great food! I can't complain one bit about the food. The service was hit and miss but overall not bad. I didn't care for the half naked dancing lady in the restaurant. I felt as if it was inappropriate with the childern in the restaurants as well as people tucking dollars into the dancers waistband.Special Features:
- Great food and excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/30/2013Great food and excellent service The Florinis, roasted red peppers stuffed with feta are one of my favorite appetizers anywhere in town. Always good to talk with George. The belly dancer was beautiful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was great, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/23/2013The service was great, the food was abundant and tasty. We started off with Saganaki (flaming cheese) it was very good. Then the Greek salad with excellent dressing that was surely homemade. Our entrees were very well presented and prepared. We had more than enough food for the price. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys Greek food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go Hungry!MookeDined on 10/29/2013Wonderful food with ample servings. No American-Greek fusion here. Real Greek food. Service was the best. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek Food!peggyDined on 10/11/2013A fun atmosphere with belly dancing Friday night when we were there and lots of "OPA"s! Owner George comes around to greet regulars and guests. Family owned and we like that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I go there everyday, the foodLuvgreekislandsDined on 9/27/2013I go there everyday, the food is outstanding and the people we wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All of the 12 adults in ourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2013All of the 12 adults in our group enjoyed their dinners and wine and desserts; it was especially nice that we were able to talk in normal tones and hear each other from one of the table to the other. The staff was very attentive and personable, also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!OpentablefriendVIPDined on 9/19/2013Love Greek Isles! EXCELLENT food! Love the rice pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT for a Birthday celebration!OpentablefriendVIPDined on 9/11/2013We had a fabulous birthday celebration for my friend. GREAT food, great service, and a nice birthday treat when we finished. I HIGHLY recommend Greek Isles. The pudding is to die for! My friend loved the baklava.Special Features:
- just another greek restaurantBoilerKurtVIPDined on 8/30/2013service was friendly and adequate and the food was ok. nothing spectacular and nothing sub-par.Special Features:
- Great jobOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2013We ate here as part of. Devour Downtown. For the price we had an abundance of food and got to sample many different dishes. Job well done and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night as always at GI'sLog22Dined on 8/24/2013Every time we have family in town we take them to GI's whether they have been there or not we always have a great time and great food. Kids love the food and the belly dancers. Family owned restaurant who take the time to know their guest who keep coming back month after month or in our case sometimes week after week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the RoughSassyFoodieDined on 8/20/2013While its nothing much to look at, the food definitely could compete with the restaurants in Greekown in Chicago. There is some seating outside but no real view. It's kind of an out of the way location but the food is completely worth it. Not big on the wine selection but you really just need 1 good one anyway. I recommend the dolmatis (Stuffed grape leaves), the Village salad, Avlegomono (lemon rice soup) and spanikotiropita (spinach and cheese stuffed phyllo) then for dessert, the galetekobouriko (custard and phyllo with honey and spices). I'm not even sure I spelled the Greek words right but you can get the menu and figure it out from there. Completely delicious. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit = try the samplerChefkenVIPDined on 8/15/2013Being unfamiliar with much Greek food other than lamb, my friend recommended ordering the sampler (not listed on the menu). I was pleasantly surprised by a large plate with a wide assortment of items. Really tasty flavors that worked well together. Definitely worth a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.