The Food Market
1017 W. 36th St
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Food Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefoodmarketbaltimore.com/
- Phone: 410-366-0606x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Friday - Sunday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm. Friday & Saturday: 5 pm - 12 am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Chad Gauss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please cotact Hannah with any catering inquiries and we will do our best to accommodate all requests with our Food Truck catering service! Please send all catering inquiries to Catering@TheFoodMarketBaltimore.com.
You Host. We Work.
A word from The Food Market
The Food Market focuses on brilliant basics, really good food, and service in a smartly designed industrial-modern space, featuring an open kitchen. Award-winning Chef Chad Gauss’ value-driven menu offers our guests a complete dining experience, by combining recognizable ingredients with unparalleled technique. The Food Market strives to provide real good service, in a comfortable environment, where our staff & diners can be themselves. We invite you to come relax, enjoy, and allow us to do what we do best, for you. Located on the Avenue in Hampden, and open every night, The Food Market serves brunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9am – 3pm. Dinner is served on Sunday – Thursday from 5pm – 11pm, and on Friday & Saturday from 5pm- 12am. Valet-Parking provided at no cost, nightly during dinner service, starting at 5pm.Continued
Up to par, down to earth.
Up to par, down to earth.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Food Market - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
The Food Market reviews from OpenTable diners
487 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (376)neighborhood gem (304)hot spot (237)special occasion (174)great for brunch (132)good for groups (127)vibrant bar scene (123)great for lunch (56)romantic (55)late-night find (39)notable wine list (31)kid-friendly (25)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- I already want to go backEatthewholelemonDined on 9/28/2014We went for our anniversary as it's a tad pricey for us to go too regularly. The food was awesome. I'm still mad I left my beef short ribs to-go at the table. They were very tender (fancy pot roast) but the bread and butter crusted sea bass was the clear winner. Salty, flavorful, not at all dry. The hot crab dip was also amazing and the popcorn was good too. We finished with the apple cake which was also incredible--by that time I could have rolled out the front door if someone had given me a push. My favorite drink was the French Tease--I'm already craving another. Our waiter was also very attentive and helpful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great late night optionDiningmavenVIPDined on 9/27/2014My favorite time to come to the Food Market is after a concert or show, at 10 pm or llater. It's less crowded and much less noisy; you can hold a conversation while enjoying great food.Special Features:
- Eburgdiner1Dined on 9/27/2014Food excellent and brought out in timely manner even though place was crowded on a Saturday. Only the crab dip was just average. The Baltimore club and Mac with lobster were amazing. Great drinks and nice draft selection.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Great restaurant, somewhat rich food choices, slightly difficult for vegan palate but overall excellent. Noisy when completely full. Perfect hip spot in Hamden!Special Features:
- Perfect nightVetikat5Dined on 9/27/2014Terrific on all levels. A must try! Can't wait to go back so I can try more of the menu. Perfect for a special occasion dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousKAH1VIPDined on 9/27/2014One of the best meals we have had in Baltimore! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchBaltimoreFoodieDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic food. My husband and I ordered the Amish pretzel, lobster roll, fried chicken, ice coffee, and virgin mojito. Needless to say, our stomachs were so full, we went into a food coma short after coming home.Special Features:
- Not too badtmlesteDined on 9/26/2014I wasn't overly impressed by the restaurant. I think they are known for their brunch which would have been a hike for me since I don't live near Hampden. I was impressed by the mussels. I never had mussels with a creamy broth, pancetta, leeks or fennel. I was just impressed. The boyfriend raved during our mussel course how these were the best mussels he ever had. It was late so I had the grilled lamb porterhouses they were ok but I was disappointed I wasn't asked how I would like them cooked. So I believe they came to me medium rare, my boyfriend got the shrimp dinner which is essentially shrimp and grits. The malbec was yummy. Since I informed them that it was our anniversary we had a card from the restaurant. Oh we did see the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise Too Loud! Food too rich.uniqueDinerDined on 9/26/2014The steak was leathery and lacked flavor. The brussel sprouts were covered in cheese and sauce that maybe the average american enjoys but i prefer quality to cheesy sauce. There were people at the bar basically screaming across the restaurant with zero consideration for others and customers were clearly upset. We left. Maybe we caught them on a bad day. We'll never find out.
- Excellent Food, Too NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014This was the first time we have dined at The Food Market. The food was outstanding from start to finish, but the presence of a bar in close proximity to the dining area made the noise level very unpleasant. The waitress had to bend over close to us to communicate. My companion said she was reading my lips at times. I don't understand why people at bars need to shout at each other. In spite of the excellence of the food, I would not be inclined to return. There are too many other dining options.
- loud but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014So loud, great food. Not appropriate for an intimate occasion.
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Enough variety and choices on the menu without being overwhelming; very good wine and beer selection to complement whatever you select to eat. It is a little on the expensive side, however good food almost never comes cheap. Tables are close together and it was pretty loud but not intolerable. Definitely will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!foodieDined on 9/22/2014We recently visited the Food Market for our anniversary and were blown away. Not only was the food out of this world, but the service was unbelievable. I never wanted for anything because I never had to ask for anything. When my glass became 3/4 empty they would ask if I would like another. Our waiter had a great attitude and energy which made it even more enjoyable. I can't wait to go back and try more items on the menu. The hot nuts were addicting and the scallops were melt in your mouth. You can't go without having the bread pudding!!!! My husband and I aren't bread pudding fans, but the heath bar bread pudding they serve needs to be consumed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently interestingjada1VIPDined on 9/21/2014We like this restaurant and often take advantage of the community table when we are on our own and have not made a reservation.Special Features:
- Birthday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014I chose this restaurant for my boyfriend's birthday brunch and it was fantastic! When I made the reservation, I put in the notes that it was his birthday, and the waiter told him "happy birthday" when we got there and there was a card on the table! FANTASTIC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunch choicetwade8664Dined on 9/21/2014The decor the service the food were all excellent. We shall return...often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a late night dinnerstork31Dined on 9/19/2014Went for a late dinner (10:15) with my in-laws on a Friday night. It was still very busy, but our table was ready right on time. It's a noisy environment, but not so loud that you can't hear each other talk. The food was excellent (crab cake, beef short ribs, shrimp & grits, and beer cheese fondue) and our server was knowledgeable and attentive. Great evening out. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Good food-hosts need improvementBaltimoreFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014We have dined at Food Market several times over the last few years. We come back for the creative and inventive food. The servers are always responsive and professional. The two concerning areas remain the noise level and the lack of professionalism at reception. When the waiter has to shout in order to recite the menu specials, there is a sound problem. The noise level on a recent Friday night was more than what I call energetic. There are no obvious design elements put into place to dampen the sound. I wish they would consider adding sound dampening panels on the ceiling or upholstered seating to help. Front reception does not convey a welcoming attitude. Even with reservations, you are asked to routinely wait 20-25 mins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good visitkateewaldVIPDined on 9/17/2014The food was great. We had an issue with one of our dishes coming to the table a bit cold, but our server immediately fixed it, and a manager checked back in on us afterward - perfectly handled. Really excellent service in so many ways. I was a little disappointed with the wine offerings (all the reds I tasted had quite a bit of residual sugar, which, although tasty, didn't pair with my main course at all and were fairly similar to one another in their flavor profiles). It was only my third time dining at Food Market, but the good food and good service definitely remind me to return more frequently! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a Kindfood4allDined on 9/14/2014Truly a must go to of Baltimore. We did their restaurant week menu. Absolutely divine , everything was fresh and flavorful. Truly a wonderful experience and the staff was so kind and friendly. Ugh just an overall great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome pace with personal touchesBmorehungryDined on 9/14/2014We have been before and it's a favorite. Went for our Anniversary and the had a personalized congratulatory card for us when we arrived at our table. Food is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Find!vfishyDined on 9/13/2014I almost don't want to give this the great review it deserves...don't want it to get so crazy I can no longer get a table. The food was great, service was great, and prices were also great. Try the amish pretzel and beer cheese fondue. The restaurant week portions were huge! Everything our group got was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUST VISITALLGOOD55VIPDined on 9/13/2014Great menu with a fun vibe. Great staff with excellent recommendations. Cocktails are incredible.Special Features:
- The bestHappy2dineVIPDined on 9/11/2014Just love this place. Great bartenders and awsome waiters. Food delightful. Even the chef always makes an appearance. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- Not our first and not our last!sushiloveVIPDined on 9/11/2014Never fails to impress. Thank you for making a special 10th birthday for my son!Special Features:
- Another great timeBaltimoreChrisDined on 9/10/2014Every time I visit The Food Market, it is a home run. Their specials never let me down. The chef can be trusted to bring your tastebuds to places they've never been. Pick something that you have never had. Trust them. You will be rewarded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A+MatthewDined on 9/10/2014When you hear "restaurant week" you often think "limited menu" or "not their best dishes." Not so at The Food Market. I'm a regular there -- I'm in at least once a week -- and I've never had a bad plate. Not once. The food is always imaginative, the menu's updated often and the service is always top notch.Special Features:
- Great Place with Deteriorating FoodcafoodDined on 9/9/2014I have been a big fan of this spot since it opened, but the menu is not keeping up (it has not changed much in a year). More concerning is that in the last few visits, EVERY dish we order from the crab soup to our favorite scallops/rissoto to dessert is sprinkled with excessive amounts of Kosher Salt. What's with all the salt? Everything is WAY too salty. Lighten up on the salt (put the salt on the table) or you risk a deteriorating set of usual customers.Special Features:
- Always awesomehdangel15VIPDined on 9/8/2014Eat here monthly and love the little lamb porterhouses!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014We love everything about this restaurant except the fact that it is exceptionally noisy. So much so that it is hard to have a conversation and spoils the whole experience. I keep trying to find the right day and time here. The best is midweek after eight pm.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood placelaineybVIPDined on 9/7/2014I"m not a fan of brunch menus, so I was really happy about the variety that is offered for brunch. The lobster roll was delicious, cocktails were great and the service was amazing. I had a 6-year old with me and she thought it was very yummy and asked us when we would come back!Special Features:
- OutstandingBruceVIPDined on 9/6/2014Party of 6, We could have made a meal from the little and small plates everything was really good. The plates were will thought out and and put together. The Big plates were also very well done. It took me a few weeks to get in and it was well worth the wait. we will be back Thank youSpecial Features:
- maggiemalyDined on 9/6/2014A bit pricey and most menu you item included nuts. Not good for my friends with a nut allergy. Loved the valet parking. This was helpful on our rainy visit. I will visit again but I will try lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful spot on the Avenue.ArtWenchDined on 9/6/2014Great food, that is both creative yet familiar. Wonderful service each time I have eaten at The Food Market and always a good meal. Would happily recomend it to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brooks111Dined on 9/5/2014This was my husband and I first time visiting this restaurant. The food was awesome and didn't take a long time for them to prepare. We will definitely visit again! The BrooksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMikeDined on 9/5/2014The food was excellent… The service was excellent… It was quite loud though due to all the people and the acoustics. Not ideal for a first date because of lack of intimacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very trendy and cool place!DaveKDined on 9/5/2014If you love good food in a trendy atmosphere, give this place a try. Our waiter, Tommy was also very excellent. When you go, you should ask for him as his service is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodMtWashington1Dined on 9/5/2014Outstanding food and service! Eclectic bar and food menu. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicemarylanderDined on 9/3/2014we would definitely go back, the food was great, we liked every dish we got and liked the twist they had on each appetizer and dinner, priced moderate for trendy restaurants, some may think it is a bit pricey for portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!cwalenDined on 8/31/2014Service was spot on. Our Amish pretzel appetizer was fabulous and our entrees great. husband had the bison special with baby red skin potatoes and haricots verts, and I had two 'small' plates as my entree - the ahi tuna over tzatziki and the black and blue beef tips. Meats were prepared exactly to order.Special Features: