The Flying Fig
2523 Market Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44113Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Flying Fig
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://theflyingfig.com/
- Phone: 2162414243
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30 - 2:30 Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00 - 11:00 pm, Sunday: 5:00- 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Karen Small
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our Party room seats 35 comfortably for Dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2162414243
- Cross Street: One Block North of West 25th and Lorain
- Public Transit: Steps from the West 25th Street RTA station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street Parking is free after 6pm weekdays and free on weekends. There is a paid parking lot on the corner of W.26th and Market Ave. Ample free parking is available one block East behind the West Side Market.
A word from The Flying Fig
Our mission at the Flying Fig is simple, to offer professional, courteous service, in a casual, relaxed setting. We provide wine-oriented cuisine utilizing the finest ingredients available, sourced locally whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Flying Fig - Best Restaurants in Ohio City ›
The Flying Fig reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (78)great for outdoor dining (45)great for brunch (41)special occasion (38)romantic (30)hot spot (26)good for groups (20)great for lunch (17)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- BrunchpretzelmitchellVIPDined on 10/19/2014Every item we ordered was just as described and tastefully delicious. Service was cherry and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place overallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was very good. I had a mixed green salad to start. It was a little larger than I expected, but that isn't really a complaint. I had the house made gnocchi for a main course, but it wasn't the one on the website. I loved the consistency and texture of the gnocchi. It was so good I felt guilty for eating it so quickly. They have a nice cocktail list as well as a good wine selection. The place can be a bit noisy, but it was a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best vegetarian meal!KristieDined on 10/17/2014This is the most creative and delicious vegetarian meal we have had in Cleveland for some time! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less Than Stellar ServiceMikeDined on 10/11/2014Requested a special table for a special night (anniversary). Received a tiny table in the middle of a crowded dining room. Service was extremely slow and lacked any personality. We sat and waiting nearly 30 minutes following our appetizers for our entrees. Not once was the anniversary mentioned. The food was actually quite good, but the service led to a disappointing 1st visit.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Great food and drinks. Great atmosphere. Wish we would have sampled some of the appetizers. They looked amazing. The mahi mahi was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!JandPFoodiesDined on 10/11/2014Far exceeded our expectations. We will definitely be returning very soon. The chorizo corn cakes are truly amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love your brunch!foodieDined on 10/5/2014Best brunch place in Cleveland! Can't wait to return! Loved the apple pancakes! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was awfulFoodieExtraordinaireVIPDined on 10/5/2014Server was all over the place. She put my 2 friends orders in, but completely forgot mine! How do you forget someone's order when there's only 3 people and we had very simple orders? I had to wait almost 15 minutes for my food while they ate (which I told them to go ahead and eat) and then she did nothing to remedy the situation. I'm pregnant and had to watch everyone else eat while I was sitting there hungry. I was so disappointed with the service. I've frequented this place over the years, but this experience ruined it for me. I will not be returning.
- New Brunch Menu!AlliVIPDined on 10/5/2014We go to the Fig for brunch and dinner frequently and were nervous when we first learned there was a new brunch menu--did they take our favorites off the menu?! I'm glad to report that they did not! The Warm Egg Salad Sandwich is still there (under Soft Scrambled Eggs) and so is the Biscuits and Gravy, in addition to the huevos rancheros and croque madame. They've now made it possible to get a side of the tallegio polenta (mmmm!) and added some yummy pastries in addition to a beef brisket hash, kitchen sink skillet, meat balls, chorizo chicken chilaquiles (which I had and they are awesome), and a pork belly & bean tostada--what?! We have to go back to try more of the new stuff. Love this place!Special Features:
- Driven away on 10/3GringoCriolloVIPDined on 10/3/2014My family and I have dined at the Flying Fig on twenty-one occasions over the past nine months. On our last occasion there, however, we were left with a strong feeling that we never wanted to return. After receiving the fig ice cream we regularly order for dessert, we made a polite comment to the waitress that this was the first time we were served only one scoop. We received a stern lecture about how the chef was no longer going to be giving away the ice cream, and from now on we would only receive the "correct" portion. When we voiced our shock and displeasure at her tone, the response from the restaurant was to send another waiter over to unceremoniously place two large bowls on our table, without apology or comment of any kind.Special Features:
- Something for everyonecatdanceDined on 10/1/20147 people - 4 vegetarian found exceptional options. The omnivores amongst us had the opportunity to choose pork, chicken and trout. We all had clean plates at the end of the meal. The salads are generous and unusual. Desserts OK - carrot cake thought to be too dry. Otherwise it was a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Excellent food and service. A little loud for my liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable!!ROSE87Dined on 9/28/2014We were in Cleveland for a weekend and wanted a good brunch spot to end our trip. The Flying Fig came highly recommended so we decided to give it a shot. It got very busy about 15 minutes after we got there and looked to be for a reason. The food was amazing!! Definitely going back here if we visit Cleveland again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeniseGDeniseGDined on 9/27/2014Dinner was terrific. My fish was cooked and moist my husband had the New Guinea hen with squash and loved it. The other couple had a burger and fries (a few too many fries served) and small plates. The grits with smoked Gouda was awesome. Service was good.Special Features:
- A Wonderful SurpriseSomethingDifferentDined on 9/27/2014With so little parking available, this is not the place I think of first. When I go to a restaurant to relax why would I choose to drive around in circles looking for a parking space? But, we had the morning free, one of my staff had raved about this place, so we arrived early hoping to get parking on a Saturday morning. What a wonderful choice. Simple, direct, honest and superb. My wife fell in love with their granola (I still don't get it) and I enjoyed the best biscuits and gravy I have ever had, and felt healthy! (Having lived in Nashville for 10 years where biscuits and gravy are everywhere and have risen almost to an art form, this is saying something.) Parking? We'll find a spot somewhere and walk. And, we will return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!HeidiDined on 9/26/2014For starters, we had the calamrai, which were fantastic. Eveyrthing sounded so good, it was diffiuclt to make a sectloin for our main entree. We went with the polenta and were not disappointed! Our server Lynn was excellent. She was helpful and very pleasnt. We will definitely return to this wonderful litle spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrooklynerDined on 9/21/2014Flying Fig was OK, but not great. I had a salad with trout. The trout was very good but was not quite hot enough. No one wants to eat semi-warm trout. The salad was good, and I love how it was in bite sized pieces. I didn't like that they didn't find out whether I could have tomatoes and the waitress made no attempt to help. I expected the bread to be spectacular based on reviews, but it was tiny pieces and had little flavor. The apple butter and butter were both nice additions to the bread plate, but they were larger than the bread servings themselves.
- Best dinner in Cleveland!RBelzVIPDined on 9/20/2014Love this place! My husband and I shared a bunch of dishes and every single bite was amazing. The beet salad was the best I've ever had and the burger was incredible too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I dig the FigBigMacAttackDined on 9/19/2014Delicious! Time and time again the Flying Fig fails to disappoint. Upon visiting the Fig on a beautiful Friday evening, we cozied up to the bar and ordered a few drinks. The bartender was friendly, knowledgeable, and made a mean manhattan. We started with the calamari which was perfectly prepared followed by the dry aged rib eye and the guinea hen. Hands down one of the best meals I have had in a while!Special Features:
- Flying Fig Great FindGreatClevelandFoodDined on 9/14/2014Tried text Flying Fig this weekend. It had great reviews and I was glad to find they were true. Great atmosphere and great food. Tomatoes are in season and the blt was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great until...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Service was great. Food was good, was there with girlfriends for brunch. It was a leisurely brunch and we were never pushed to leave which was nice, though there were open tables so we didn't feel we were taking up the table for too long. Then just prior to leaving I used the restroom, which at first glance seemed fine but then I saw the walls of the stall were covered in what appeared to be "boogers" for lack of a better term (I am a physician), smeared all over, both sides, had been there for some period of time. Yuck. Ruined the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good; great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Very pleased with food and service. I gave the Fig a '4' because it was a bit noisy and dark, making it difficult to speak with our friends. Overall, very good food, the duck and chicken main courses were excellent, the flat bread appetizer was as well. The beet salad was disappointing - more like a bacon salad with a few beet sections and an egg. Drinks (wine in particular) were expensive, the mixology was a bit odd -- we tried 4 drinks and did not really enjoy 2 of them.Special Features:
- Good, but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014The Fig has been one of my long-time favorites in town; however, it seems to have lost some of its edge. The interior isn't as comfortable as other new spots around town. Luckily, the food and service remain top notch. Look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Who gives a flying figcatdanceDined on 9/3/2014Four different vegetarian choices in our group of 8 were not only visually pleasing but were delicious. 3 of us shared so that we could taste more of these clever dishes. Unusual twist us that bread is not served unless you order the "bread plate". As a result no one filled up with bread before the meal started arriving. Desserts were OK but they ran out of house made fig ice cream. I got my scoop but my friend alas only got a spoonful they managed to scrape from the container. As our group has events not too far away, it will stay on our list of convenient places to bring our speaker to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fly to the FigfeedmenowDined on 8/31/2014Really nice place. Upbeat atmosphere, cozy space. Everything was delicious. Took my friend for her birthday and it was a treat. We had appetizers, drinks, salad and mains, and it was under $100. Really charming. Loved it!Special Features:
- FigOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Food and service great. Would go back again any te.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the FigOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014This was the second time for brunch. Both times were very good. Went with different people both times and they loved it. We had reservations for noon, arrived a few minutes early so sat at the bar. At noon we were seated promptly. Our waiter (Josh I believe) was excellent and knowledgeable. Food was wonderful. All in all an enjoyable occasion. Only complaint was the bartender (Tony) had a bit of an attitude when we originally sat at the bar. Took him quite awhile to ask for our orders and then only mine, completed my drink and then asked my two friends for their order. All this took longer than it should have. At no time was he particularly friendly. Because of this I gave 4 stars instead of the 5 it deserved. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunchPricklypear01Dined on 8/31/2014We've been here twice before and always enjoy our meals. The service was good, except they forgot a side order. The waitress brought it long after we were both done with our meal. The selections are always unique and fresh, which is our favorite things about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchaliciouspjeanDined on 8/31/2014We loved the cinnamon rolls! The service and brunch offerings are always fantastic. It really pays to make a reservation as the place fills up fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UncaringRichfielddinerDined on 8/29/2014The staff took their time getting to our table. My wife ordered the pork loin. The waiter suggested medium and, after some discussion, my wife agreed that would be best. It arrived well done, dry and tough -- certainly not medium. When asked about our meals, my wife replied "it's okay" because she didn't want to complain. When the waiter removed our plates, he looked quizzically at the remaining meat, said "that doesn't look medium!" and conferred with the chef. When he returned, he said "it continues to cook after it's off the grill" and left it at that. No break in the bill, no real apology, either. After he raised the issue, you'd think he would make it right! Nope, just a coupon for a free dessert on our next visit.
- Great!BradshrgDined on 8/29/2014Is a very nice restaurant for vegetarians. The bread plate is very good. They also make great hamburgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First Time ExperienceBarbDined on 8/29/2014This was my first visit to the Flying Fig. Although parking in the afternoon was a bit difficult. my experience at the restaurant was very positive. The wait staff was very friendly and the food was delicious. Would love to try the patio next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uncommon but tastyecotravelerVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had brunch. Menu items unique to Flying Fig: Corn cakes with andouille sausage and poached eggs, for example. Attentive service. Our second time for brunch and we'll do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portions are small, but deliciousfoodiemomDined on 8/23/2014I went here for my birthday with a few friends this past Saturday. We ordered a few of the small plates to share and they are definitely small!!! The bacon wrapped dates were outstanding, just wish there were more of them (only 3 small dates per order). Our waiter was very nice and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still WonderfulEat4funDined on 8/20/2014We've been to the Fig several times and have always been delighted with the food and service. Our group had three different entees--all excellent. The fig ice cream and the carrot cake were also terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!MJRinOHVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had a party of 4 who had varied interests in food - some people wanted small plates, others wanted an entree, well Flying Fig did not disappoint a single person. They have a good variety of small plates/apps which can be used to share or to use as an entree for those with smaller appetites. They have a good variety of full entrees too, which satisfied those who wanted more. Our server was outstanding - very attentive without hovering, and it was a great energetic atmosphere. We will definitely be back to The Flying Fig and will recommend it to our friends!Special Features:
- Enjoyable all aroundCtownChefDined on 8/13/2014We went in for a birthday celebration, which I noted in open table, but apparently they don't read the guest notes. No one said a thing. Food was very good. Service was ok. A soup was spilled all over the floor next to us, and they forgot to return my credit card - I had to ask if they lost it... Would definitely go back for the food. Tempura green beans, dates and beet salad were killer. One of the chefs brought out an extra piece of short rib because he felt the portion was small - I thought it was just right, but it was a nice touch that they caught it in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great food!TanaDined on 8/10/2014We ate outdoors on a Sunday evening which is why I couldn't comment on the bar scene. It's usually quite active. Karen Small does a fantastic job sourcing her ingrediengs.Special Features:
- Great brunchBeauVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good food selection for brunch or lunch, love the patio.Special Features:
- RRKTMDined on 8/8/2014Menu was somewhat limited. Call drink prices were too high. Walleye dish was unimpressive.Special Features: