The Capital Grille - Providence
1 Union Station
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Providence
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (401) 521-5600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Haist
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager.
A word from The Capital Grille - Providence
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of downtown Providence. Live entertainment available on Friday evenings from 7-11pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Capital Grille - Providence - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
The Capital Grille - Providence reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (98)notable wine list (77)fit for foodies (65)romantic (65)good for groups (51)vibrant bar scene (35)hot spot (28)neighborhood gem (27)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (18)late-night find (16)scenic view (16)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Special treatcomehere2dineVIPDined on 11/25/2014A special treat! The salmon is fabulous! Never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirgsVIPDined on 11/23/2014Caesar salad nicely split for us to share. Filet mignon cooked to perfection with plenty left over to take home for another meal! Porterhouse steak perfectly aged and cooked as ordered (no left overs, though!) Golden beets were a delicious side but may have been a little skimpy on the goat cheese...yummy combination, though! Definitely one of the best experiences we've ever had at the Capital Grille. Thanks for making our 35th anniversary so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamanthaDined on 11/23/2014Amazing steakhouse. The meal was superb from start to finish. Great wine and cocktail list. A wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion. One of Providence's finest.Special Features:
- For a special occasion....worth the extra $$$FoodieFredDined on 11/17/2014If you are just looking to satisfy your hunger this is not the place for you. If, however, you are feeling flush (10 oz filet $42.00 - meat only), you want a good meal with attentive service and you are celebrationg a special occcasion, the this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday NightDJJB71Dined on 11/15/2014This past Saturday night i took my girlfriend out at the Capital Grille Providence for her 33rd birthday celebration. Our table was ready right on time. The shrimp cocktail was huge and excellent. We each had the Kona Encrusted Sirloin which was very tasty and excellent. The sam's mashed are the best every. They also which was a nice touch brought us over a complementary desser for her birthday which consisted of creme brûlée and flour less cake. Overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers - will be back!swishladyDined on 11/14/2014Our first time at any Capital Grille. A friend highly recommended Providence for our anniversary. Requested a quiet table and mentioned the occasion on the reservation; when we arrived, our table had rose petals on it - such a nice touch! Staff members wished us a happy anniversary. Our waiter - and everyone - was fabulous in terms of service. Attentive without hovering. Good info from the waiter when ordering. Appreciated the offer of flexibility in preparation, but we ended up going with the Chef's Recommendations as is. Food was just incredible and perfectly prepared. Waiter surprised us with champagne and a dessert platter that had everything we loved. We felt like royalty! This is the way to celebrate a special occasion. Can't say enough about our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerBlondie419VIPDined on 11/8/2014Had a wonderful evening at The Capital Grill. The food is always consistent and the service is professional and pleasant. Looking forward to returning for another satisfying dinner, worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 5 Star Establishment!Dondo54Dined on 11/4/2014Amazing dinner, amazing restaurant. We recently celebrated our 36th Wedding Anniversary here at the Capital Grille in Providence. My wife had the bone-in Filet Mignon and I had the Kona Crusted Delmonico. Each dish was superb! We have been to the establishment many times and we have never been disappointed. Our server, Ken Johnson, paid attention to every detail of our evening even getting into a bit of "election night" banter. I would recommend the Capital Grill highly and ask for Ken when making reservations. You will NOT be disappointed.Special Features:
- Capped off our 40th!sader1970Dined on 10/26/2014Made my reservation via Open Table and noted it was to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Sometimes a restaurant will give you a little more attention. Capital Grille outdid themselves from the multiple congratulations from the hosts and manager and our waiter, Ken and complimentary glasses of champagne and dessert. Food, as always, was superb with my fillet mignon and the wife's salmon special. My white wine was great and the spouse's Apple martini best she has had in some time. Did I mention the special booth with roses petals?! Capital has the reputation as best in Providence and well deserved. Costs a bit but worth every penny!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014Our waiter, Ken, made this a memorable evening! The food, service and his attention were all outstanding. Thank you!Special Features:
- Mark the waiterHutchDined on 10/24/2014Superlative friendly service from all pro waiter. Very helpful with menu and great historic knowledge of Capital GrillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticradmanDined on 10/19/2014best dining experience I have had for quite some time. Tiana was our server and was perfect. Friendly, courteous, competent with just the right amount of attention- all this while being fairly new. The manager stopped by a couple times and we told him that Tiana was a keeper. It was a nice touch for him to make sure everything was OK. Food was excellent just as you would expect from a high end steakhouse. Creme Brulee was a tie with 21 Club in NYC for the best I've ever had. Overall a delightful, but not cheap, experience. Great place fo that special occasion. We eill be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsBelizVIPDined on 10/18/2014We always choose The Capital Grille for special occasions. We are never disappointed. One change that need tweaking however, is the new electronic wine list. When we were seated, we asked the hostess for the wine list, expecting the paper one. However, we were told that it was now on a tablet, but it was never brought to us. When our waiter came and asked us if we wanted a drink, we had to ask again for the tablet and then he had to go and get it. The hostesses need to know that if someone asks for the wine list, to bring one.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014attended to celebrate wedding anniversary. The staff could not have been more friendly. Really enjoyable evenings and extra service was wonderful. Many thanks to all staff who made our celebrations so memorableSpecial Features:
- Capitol - ExperienceSunshineDined on 10/11/2014Great food; excellent service. Bar tenders ok; specialty drink list not tailored to the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visited Rhode Island and left Happyckessler0208Dined on 10/10/2014I am not one to enjoy a extremely quiet evening at dinner, so from the very beginning I felt comfortable with the noise level. It wasn't too loud nor was it so quiet you have to lean into your spouse to talk because you feel as if the table next to you is listening. The pace at which the food came out was superb. Kevin was our server in the Providence, RI location and he was a delight and was very thorough with the menu descriptions and was open to all questions. My husband's steak was perfect, but mine was MW when I had asked for Med. The manager came around to ask how everything was, he kindly and immediately took my steak and returned with a new Med. cooked steak in 5 minutes. Great service, great food, great staff, great experience.Special Features:
- How to Begin a Great Weekend!ChrisVIPDined on 10/10/2014Friday evenings at the Lounge in the Capital Grille create a special feeling. Phenomenal onion soup adapted to our tastes, tasty salads, and the fantastic Wagyu burger along with the best waitstaff and top-notch entertainment in the lounge are all the components one needs!Special Features:
- Fantastic Eveningjohnvk78Dined on 10/10/2014Everything was fantastic. Food was fantastic, service was great. We had a spectacular date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 23rd AnniversarypawcoyoteDined on 10/4/2014The Capital Grille took care of us from the time I made my reservation. They had our table ready in a very nice area with rose petals on the table. They had my wife's favorite drink brought to the table for her (from my request when making the reservation). Our waiter Tom did a great job so did the table help. All were very friendly and always asking if everything was the way we wanted it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2014Our dining experience was great. Service and food fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steakRob1764VIPDined on 10/2/2014I had the steak au poivre and it was very good. My spinach salad with warm bacon dressing was to die for...Special Features:
- Capital GrilleKBL1954VIPDined on 9/27/2014The food and service were outstanding as usual. Not much else to say.Special Features:
- ExceptionalLovesGoodFoodDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our fifth anniversary here. I made reservations through Open Table as usual. The table was covered in rose petals, all servers knew it was our anniversary, everything was phenominal. Food was out of this world. I had the filet with poached butter lobster tails and so did my wife. That dish is so delicious words do not suit it. The coconut creme pie was for dessert, I highly recommend it!!! Overall, 5 star visit!Special Features:
- PerfectNONEDined on 9/24/2014Need we say more? Expensive, yes. Worth it? We think so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second great evening in one weekOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014We so enjoyed dinner at The Capital Grille, Providence - that we returned on our last evening in the city. Again - it was delightful. It was a Saturday night - energy and noise was multiplied - and it was hard to talk with my husband across the small table. We gave up trying to talk for the most part and saw other couples doing same. The restaurant was so busy there were some challenges - we felt a bit rushed by staff - clearly anxious to keep tables turning - and two people offered us fresh cracked pepper - the second started to grind without waiting for the answer - we both dove to save the meat. Then the manager stopped by - and offered to send for our waiter to bring fresh cracked pepper... So I'd recommend a weeknight visit, not Sat.Special Features:
- Beyond Amazing!!annie2402Dined on 9/20/2014Everything about our visit was perfection..Our waiter, Mark, made sure everything was beyond our expectations!! Food was outstanding!! Steak tartare, Delmonico for me...couldn't have been any better..steak cooked perfectly!! Lobster bisque (loaded with lobster!!) and porterhouse for my husband also the best!! When they asked if we were celebrating a special occasion, we said not tonight but a big anniversary in a couple of weeks..we assumed just conversation ..Nope!! We were surprised with a beautiful dessert platter with Happy Anniversary stenciled in chocolate!! Beautiful and so appreciated!! But, to top it off, we were given champagne glasses to take home to use on our actual anniversary!! Can't say enough how perfect the night was!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world!SusieVIPDined on 9/20/2014This place is out of this world fantastic! I wish I could give it 10 stars. I have always heard wonderful things about the Capital Grille so was looking forward to trying it. We eat out quite a bit and it is one place I have not eaten at before. Exceeded expectations. It was my husband's birthday so I asked if we could have a romantic table. Well, not only did we get that, everyone wished him happy birthday, there were little sparkly foil leaves on the table when we arrived, we received a free glass of champagne and dessert. Our server, Josh, was awesome! Very attentive, friendly, and just made the night that much more special. The food was terrific. A big thumbs up. Many thanks for a very special evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a GREAT Capital GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/17/2014We arrived in Providence tired and ready for dinner - - we opted for the capital grill because it is reliable - and it was close to our hotel. And days later we are still talking about our evening there. Everything was great and our waiter helped us unwind from our travels. We were able to relax and enjoy a memorable evening together. everyone - from the hostess to other waiters we passed as we left - smiled and acknowledged us kindly. We left feeling so much better than when we arrived - with a really great meal to boot! Thanks for being the highlight of our trip.Special Features:
- luvgofoDined on 9/17/2014well prepared food, extensive wine list, my only complaint was a food being served barely lukewarm.Special Features:
- GreatBostonirishDined on 9/16/2014Great service and made our special occasion memorable.Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceLizBDined on 9/13/2014Outstanding service by our waiter Mark and bartender Tim. Expensive, but you know that if you know anything about The Capitol Grill. But, you also know the good, service and dining experience is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningPegknitsDined on 9/13/2014Went for a special anniversary. The entire staff seemed to take the time to offer congratulations. Rose petals on our reserved table. We were seated near a large party of approx. 20, made the noise level very high.Special Features:
- Never disappointsBelizVIPDined on 9/11/2014We go to Capital Grille for many special occasions. We are never disappointed. Service, food, wine. All good!Special Features:
- JimmyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Menu is considerably over-priced. Food is reasonably good although the steak tartar appetizer was far too piquant and the serving was far too large for an appetizer - and of course the price was commensurately high. The serving was bulked up with excessive egg, capers, onions. Entree prices were very high relative to the quality of the items and were again larger than necessary serving sizes. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningTomGDined on 9/6/2014Great food and warm friendly service- will not disappoint for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Royal Treatmenttaste2tellDined on 9/5/2014My son's choice for his 23rd Birthday. It was wonderful. We all enjoyed the evening, food, service and experience. We expect nothing less from Capital Grille, we were treated like we where family.Special Features:
- Great Service & FoodPatrickPDined on 9/2/2014My wife and I had dinner on our wedding anniversary. We could not have been treated better or made to feel more special. Service was outstanding and the food matched it. Can't say enough good things about this restaurant !Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 8/26/2014Amazing meal and impeccable service! Group work dinner- perfect location and delicious food! Our server Ken was the BEST!Special Features:
- Great for Waterfire nights!SaltNPeppaDined on 8/23/2014Food was top notch..however out of asparagus at 7pm?? 2 dinners 2 sides no alcohol $180 Great time..not rushed.Special Features:
- GreatBuffyDined on 8/20/2014Never disappointed. I have always a great meal and great service no matter the size of the party.Special Features: