The Blue Fish - Bayou
550 Texas Ave
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
The Blue Fish - Bayou
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebluefishsushi.com/
- Phone: 7132253474x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - close
Bar Hours: Daily: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from The Blue Fish - Bayou
The Blue Fish features the freshest premium selections of sushi and sashimi, along with spectacular signature rolls and hot food dishes. We also boast a variety of sake, beer, wine and spirit selections to complete the dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Blue Fish - Bayou - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Blue Fish - Bayou reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (29)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (22)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (10)late-night find (9)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (6)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Melt in your mouth sushi!!TexasJHawkDined on 10/17/2014My best friend and I had a girls weekend in Houston and on the top of our to-do list was eating fabulous sushi! The Blue Fish certainly delivered in that regard! Sooo yummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againblarghDined on 10/15/2014If you want to be patronized by a twenty-something waiter that believes he invented uni, go and waste your money there. We decided to sit outside. BIG MISTAKE. We were serenaded by jackhammers. When we asked to be moved inside, we were told that there were "too many reservations" which is funny because a) we HAD reserved and b) 40% of the tables inside were unoccupied. Food arrived in distinct waves: soup. ten minutes. Tofu, two orders of tempura, one order of sushi. Fifteen minutes. Two members of our party had all their food and ate while the other two waited. The waiter claimed that "there are four kitchens and it is difficult for them to coordinate" even when the things missing were one more tempura and sushi. Ridiculous.
- Before the showOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2014We had dinner before a show. We were seated on the patio. The weather was wonderful so this was quite lovely. It was great to enjoy the nice evening and people watch before the show. The server was attentive and helpful during the drink ordering process. He made suggestions that were helpful and helped us pace the ordering. After we ordered we rarely saw him though. Two of three entrees were brought out together. They were nearly half finished before the third was delivered to the table. It was difficult to get the server again so we could get the check and pay so we could leave for the show. Entrees were higher priced but sushi was on par with typical sushi pricing. Overall the food was quite good though and we enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Great pre concert spot!LSUMikeDined on 10/1/2014Good fresh seafood and excellent service. We showed up early for our reservations and they gladly accommodated us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely loved it!RedheadsrockDined on 9/24/2014Fabulous food! Fantastic atmosphere! Personable and friendly, very helpful staff! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fishloverDined on 9/21/2014This is a great place for a meal before theater, symphony, or opera.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2014Still one of the best sushi restaurants in Houston. Food can be a little slow coming out when they get slammed on weekend nights with everyone needing to get to a theatre performance. They had 7 sushi chefs working, so I can't fault them for being understaffed. But the sushi is definitely worth waiting for and we still made it to our performance with plenty of time to spare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange timingMuncherDined on 9/6/2014We have eaten at Blue Fish often and really like the food. However, the timing of serving our items the last two times has been strange. One time, we got the tempura vegetables right away then had a wait for the salad and Ahi Tower (my very favorite thing). This time we got the Ahi Tower right away. I was waiting for my husband to get his tacos before I started. We waited a long time. The tempura vegetables came after we finished our two other items. We got sweet potatoes instead of mushrooms. We were to the point of having them remove the vegetables from our bill as we had to be at the ballet at 7:30 when they finally arrived. We arrived at 6:00. We had mentioned the tempura to our waiter twice.Special Features:
- Fun!GlobalsurfVIPDined on 9/6/2014My family had a great dinner before a Dynamo's game. The food was first rate and the bill was reasonable. We will be back!
- Great sushi, great servicegrosa001Dined on 9/6/2014Tried this place for the first time... the sushi was awesome, especially the "Sundae Roll!" It's a must-try if you go there. We also had a caterpillar roll and the Hawaiian roll, which were both good as well. Our waitress was excellent and provided near-perfect service. Food was out in good time, and the waitress was very friendly and offered great advice for our first visit to the restaurant. Would give it a 10 out of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown-Theater District GemAmateurFoodCriticVIPDined on 9/5/2014Before a concert at Bayou Place, Jones Hall or any of the amazing venues downtown we often go to Blue Fish for dinner before or after. Great place!Special Features:
- Covenient for TheaterCWandMrsCWVIPDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I have been to Blue Fish several times, but this maybe the last. It is convenient for the theater. Sushi is not special, particularly the limited uncooked fish selection. The cooked sushi is too texas-ified, too much sauce.
- LOVE IT!!MauUnaDined on 8/30/2014Recommended by a family member, and so glad we actually followed through with the visit. Nice atmosphere and the food, and employees are great as well as reasonably priced. I have a new favorite spot.Special Features:
- Good sushiAlizooDined on 8/29/2014Our first visit to Blue Fish and we were surprised at how good the sushi was. I had grilled salmon with veggies and rice, it was a little greasy and an enormous portion. We finished off with my favority Japanese dessert, mochi, but I was horrified to find them quartered and with cream squirted all over them! The staff very kindly replaced them with un-messed about mochi. They were not bad, the greeen tea ones seemed a bit stale but the vanilla one was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- music4uVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food and location to Jones Hall and Wortham where we frequent. We will be back!Special Features:
- Fun and good food too!!KMHoustonDined on 8/21/2014Picked this restaurant because of close proximity to Wortham for a girls nite to the theater. Location was perfect, food was great with some interesting twists on sushi. Loved the ahi tacos!! Service was great, drinks a little pricey, especially the wine. But, it's a downtown prime location, what did I expect. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show dinner for 6TexmexerDined on 8/16/2014The online reservation was quick and easy, BF called us to confirm the day of, and we were seated promptly. The service was great. We had no problem getting to our show on time. The sushi was fresh and very tasty, and all the food was also very visually appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater dinnerLuncheonVIPDined on 8/15/2014We picked Blue Fish for our dinner choice since it was across the street from the Wortham Theater and we had tickets to a show. So glad we had reservations since there was only one available table. We sampled a variety of items and shared among the 4 of us. My Pinot Noir (house wine) was not good (bottle must have been opened on a prior day) but they had no problem switching it to a Cabernet glass that was wonderful. The various rolls were wonderful and Ahi tuna salad was great! Will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- brianDined on 8/12/2014The waiter meant well, but was a little too passionate about the food and our dining experience. He also tried to mix up our tuna stack, which took about 5 minutes and was mostly unsuccessful. The food was ok, but not great. It came out way too fast and wasn't paced at all. Even when we ran out of room on the table they just kept bringing more plates. Also, having to pay $9 to have my car parked in a waiting zone in front of the restaurant is absurd. When I left, the valet handed me the keys and pointed to where my car was. I know everyone hates the valet nonsense in Houston, but this was by far the worst I've had to deal with in 5 years here.Special Features:
- Great place to go for good food.bluefishmainreveiwDined on 8/3/2014Really my family, friends, and I really enjoyed ourselves. The only complaint I have is that we felt really rushed as if they wanted us to hurry up n go. When im out enjoying food n friends I like to take my time was not in a hurry to leave. That was the only turn off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incomprehensibly slowfoodieVIPDined on 7/29/2014arrived at 7:40pm to make the 9:00pm show next door - ordered 1 roll and 2 orders of sashimi - took over an hour and was lied to by the server multiple times assuring it was "being rolled" - the worst service in the city without question.
- if you like waiting...NYCHOUDined on 7/29/2014We arrived for our reservation and were seated promptly, drink and food order placed timely, drinks/appetizers came out in a timely manner, then all things came to a halt. The hostess came to our table to advises us that the kitchen was backed up and asked us to reconsider our roll order (original order: sushi, sashimi, and one roll). We complied, and ordered more sashimi. Our 2 piece sushi came out and then we waited. 30-40 minutes later I notice the people seated around us, who arrived after us, were enjoying their rolls, and yet we still had not received our sashimi? Just as we decided to give up and pay for our drinks/apps our order arrived. we ate fast paid the bill and missed the opening act at Bayou Center.Special Features:
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Got there early, service was good, great food. Was a little noisy as it filled up, but otherwise it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Good food; late openingAnnyDined on 7/19/2014Great option if you go to the symphony or some other event downtown, walking distance and late opening. Food is good, no extraordinary but good. Service good alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue FishXtinaDined on 7/19/2014We were promptly seated and our food came fast. My dining companions really enjoyed the Ahi Tower, Mega Lobster and Sundae sushi. The Kobe potsticker was ok. I was expecting small chunks of meat, not ground meat. Our waiter was attentive and helpful when ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is solid, ambience so soAWGoodDined on 7/3/2014The sushi is very good, the drink selection is very good, but we were looking for something a little more exciting. In their defense it was a the night before Independence Day so I'm not sure it was an accurate reflection. I much prefer the Washington Ave. location though.Special Features:
- Love bluefishLisaVIPDined on 6/27/2014This was my first time at this Blue Fish location. I've always loved the washington location and my finance and I thought we'd give this one a try. Food is the same but the atmosphere is completely different. We dined outside. It was a nice evening and it's cool being in the middle of downtown. The age group here was mostly 30's +. The washington location is a younger crowd and busier. The menus are actually nicer here. Thick and laminated compared to just paper at the washington location. Because it wasn't as busy, we got much more personal attention. Also, free parking after 6!!! Washington makes you valet since parking is limited. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Very tasty mealDL27VIPDined on 6/27/2014The service wasn't as good as the food, but I think it had more to do with the lack of servers working. We went later than normal dinner hours and I think they were short staffed. The food was delicious!Special Features:
- The following 245 reviews are from the The Blue Fish - Bayou reviews archive.
- FrreeesssshhhhhrunningismyprozacDined on 6/23/2014Ordered the fish trio, snapper, salmon and tuna and was really surprised at how fresh the fish tasted. Paired with a fabulous gin and tonic the diner was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experienced StaffNicinhoustonDined on 6/23/2014We had a very polite, friendly and helpful waiter who served and adviced us with the right drinks, delicious appetizer and delicious food. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant before playLuv2exploreDined on 6/14/2014We always choose this restaurant before going to a play or the symphony because they take reservations and make sure they work within your timeframe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Right across the street from Wortham Center/ Brown Theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too busy for specific orderKelstiniDined on 6/13/2014My review may seem a bit harsh but it drives me nuts when I order something a specific way and it comes out wrong. I am picky about my spicy salmon roll - I don't like it chopped to the point of seeming pre-chewed. I asked the waitress if it could be made this way and she told me that they might be too busy for special requests. I'm sorry - what?!? That doesn't even make sense. Sushi is raw for crying out loud! Also, my friend and I ordered mochi and attempted to cancel this order because it took so long for the waitress to bring a frozen dessert to the table. By the time it got to us it was half melted. Don't expect good service or any special treatment if you go.Special Features:
- Great as usualdinerDined on 6/13/2014We dine at Blue Fish when we have a ballet not because it is so convent but because it is also an excellent restaurant. The variety of eating options from small plate to full meal is excellent. It was great as usual.Special Features:
- aggie82Dined on 6/8/2014The food was great and the service was excellent. We would dine there anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre- theaterFoodieVIPDined on 6/7/2014It has been awhile since we ate here. We tried it for a quick meal before the ballet and were impressed by the taste and quality of the food. It was quickly serves as we asked and tasty. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceRickcVIPDined on 6/7/2014While everyone was willing to work with our glutton free requirements, our meals were served very inconsistently. We were a table of 4, 2 people received their meals them 10 minutes later another person was served then another 15 minutes went by before the 4th person was served. Since our family always waits to eat until everyone is served, most of the meals were cold by the time we stayed to eat. The food was ok, nothing great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/6/2014The best traditional sushi restaurant in Houston. Sushi is always fresh, and the variety is outstanding. The service is attentive but not annoying.Special Features:
- Nothing to rave aboutSAPDADined on 6/3/2014This is simply another chain restaurant, but with a "Japanese" menu. The food is not bad but nothing exceptional. The focus is mainly on alcoholic beverages. The one advantage is that it is one of the very few places where you can park your car nearby and get a reasonably decent meal before going to the symphony, ballet or theater.
- good pre-theater selectionjfltcDined on 6/1/2014At our June 1 visit, both food and service were excellent. This is usually a good pre-theater choice.