The Backspace - Austin
507 San Jacinto
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
The Backspace - Austin
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebackspace-austin.com/
- Phone: 5124749899x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Shawn Cirkiel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Backspace - Austin
The Backspace, Chef Shawn Cirkiel’s Neapolitan pizzeria directly behind Parkside, is known for its wood-burning Italian brick oven, all Italian wine list, and original Italian antipasti made in house daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Backspace - Austin reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)romantic (40)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (29)notable wine list (29)hot spot (18)great for lunch (10)late-night find (9)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Get the Homemade MozzarellaHawaiianTravelerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend. We had several antipasto plates as they are half price during happy hour. We had the foccacia with prosciutto, grilled pears, roasted corn and the homemade fresh mozzarella - all were great especially the mozzarella. For the main course we had the wood fired pepperoni pizza and the lamb meatballs. Both of these were excellent too. Prices were very reasonable (especially at happy hour) and the 3 of us at for $40. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wood Fired Pizzas and SaladsAlexvRVIPDined on 10/15/2014Somehow I had never noticed this place. It's just off 6th St but tucked away. The pizzas are pricey but very good. It's a great escape from the typical places in this area. The salads are very good. They have other items but that's all I had.Special Features:
- Italian pizzaRahenson1Dined on 10/4/2014My wife prefers traditional Italian pizza to Americanized styles. She loves this restaurant. I like it too even though I am not as much a fan of that style as she is. I saw it listed on a "best pizzas" article and am not surprised at its inclusion. If you like thin crust and more traditional Italian style pizza I am sure you'll love this place. If you don't but take someone who does you will still have a good meal while they have a great one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pizza and appetizers!kcc1VIPDined on 10/3/2014Loved the food and the space! it was maybe just a tad too dark inside, but it set the mood well. Was a welcome break from all of the BBQ places in Austin. Service was great too!Special Features:
- Good As AlwaysDanFDined on 10/3/2014The food and service was delicious as always - the gunaciale pizza was *for real*, as was the whipped lardo! Our table was pretty crowded for 6 people, though, and that definitely impacted the enjoyability of the experience. I'll definitely be back for more amazing pizza and wood-fired appetizers, though!Special Features:
- Favorite Low-key spot in AustinOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014Great low-key ambiance, reminds me of being back in New York. Thoughtful menu, well-executed, good wine selection and friendly service. This has long since been one of my favorite restaurants in Austin and will continue to be.
- Big flavors in a small space...MeatBallHeadDined on 9/27/2014Highly recommend this neighborhood gem. The food is outstanding, especially the Farm Egg (poached in marinara) starter and Bianca pizza. The pizza is among the best I've had in Austin. Seek a reservation, if possible, since the dining area is rather small. This will minimize the wait time, even though it's totally worth it.Special Features:
- Heavenly wait staffFoodManDined on 9/26/2014Jimmy, Jeremy, and Hayden were incredibly helpful. I felt at ease and comfortable the moment I walked in with my date. Jimmy suggested a couple menu items per my request, and the food was incredible. My only regret is that I didn't eat slower so I could eat more! Jeremy checked on us and was very personable and funny. Hayden was well versed in pairing the food with wine. We had an amazing experience! I'll be back ASAP.Special Features:
- Neat SpaceSolomonDined on 9/25/2014The Backspace offers you everything you could want in a little pizza dive: cool space, limited tables, and simple pizza.Special Features:
- Great spot to try!SBURMANDined on 9/23/2014Honestly the only issue we had was with service. Our waiter was perfectly polite but they were understaffed and he could only be in so many places at the same time. But the food and wine are absolutely wonderful and fairly priced for downtown Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and not very excitingAnujVIPDined on 9/22/2014The appetizers were OK. Second bar and kitchen has similar appetizers that taste much better. Only one beer served (Peroni) and no Cocktails. Pizzas were good bit the place is very loud. The hostess forced 8 of us to squeeze into a place for 6 people. Our server did get us an extra chair when we requested for it.Special Features:
- Fantastic PizzaeaselDined on 9/20/2014Truly stands out from anything else in Austin, highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Best Pizza By Far in AustinpaulforPeopleDined on 9/12/2014Simply no comparison between the fantastic pizza at Backspace and any other pizza available at a restaurant in Austin.Special Features:
- Perfect spot to meet up w/friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014Found this little gem and had pizza with friends. You need reservations as it only seats 30 and it was busy. Awesome rustic/urban look, wonderful staff...very friendly, helpful and attentive yet did not intrude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer Pizza Naples style in AustinDamionLDined on 8/23/2014Love love love this place, bring my out of town guests here as one of my top 3 places in Austin. Best pizza, best staff, love the whole experience!Special Features:
- DeliciousTinaDined on 8/23/2014We added Prosciutto to our pizza, and it was melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Very nice dinner. We should have ordered bread to go with our white bean appetizer.Special Features:
- Relaxed yet intimateDinerBoyDined on 8/15/2014This is a great place for a date or catching up with friends over amazing food and wine. The menu is limited but everything on there is done exceptionally well. The only thing that was not as expected was a potatoe antipasti that was cold when we expected it hot, knowing that we would have chosen something else. That's the only very minor complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Spot in AustinyummfoodDined on 8/3/2014The Backspace is absolutely a place I will return to. We made reservations (which is recommended due to the small dining area) and we're seated right away. The staff was friend and the food was amazing! The wait staff was helpful when it came to choosing a wine that was a good fit for our meals. The freshly sliced meat and brick oven pizza were delicious. Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedlashadiDined on 7/26/2014I was in town for a bachelorette party and we wanted a nice Italian dinner. This is perfect. Unprentious while having delicious food, a beautiful ambiance, and great service.Special Features:
- Wood burning authenticityThatFoodieDadDined on 7/23/2014What a delightful find. Backspace is a small, intimate space filled with vibrancy and great food. Try the specials and the great olives with focaccia bread. The bread is toasted in a cSt iron skillet in the same wood burning oven that will bake your pizza to perfection. We had the pizza special that had arugula and heirloom tomatoes. A great combination that paired well with the mozzarella and San Marzano base. Crisp, thin and full of flavor. We are looking forward to our return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expeditious yet Agreeablepkrkid73Dined on 7/23/2014Enjoyers of Neapolitan pizza will likely find their distinctive preparation of this type of food to be well worth a savour. Utilizing a wood-fired brick oven at temperatures of 482-538 degrees Celcius, they quickly concoct a pizza at once delicate yet chewy. The base of these dishes bears a resemblance to a crêpe. It should be of absolute interest to any aesthetes of the gastronomical variety. On to more practical matters: expect to secure a reservation well in advance if visiting during peak periods. Should one find themselves preferential to pleasing their senses to the palette of wine, take notice that a special arrangement might likely need to be sought if this activity will consume much more than an hour's worth of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, lackluster serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014Pizza and antipasti were very good. However, the staff does an excellent job making you feel unwelcome upon arrival, even if you hold a reservation. I would hate to see how they treat walk in customers. The indifferent hipster thing gets kind of old - go back to the basics of providing warm, welcoming hospitality to your customers.Special Features:
- Best PizzaJo308VIPDined on 7/17/2014Great food inc. Interesting small ate appetizers. Laid back vibe, yummy desserts. One of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014We took a large group of ladies there for lunch this week. The service extremely attentive & very happy to accommodate any & every request. There is currently some construction in front of the restaurant, but do not be deterred...fabulous setting & fabulous food!Special Features:
- Just not the sameFoodpennDined on 7/11/2014The waitress took forever to greet us. Then she started to work on her side work. In fact, when we received our bottle of wine she was in such a hurry that she didn't realize she didn't fill everyone's wine. Slammed it down back on the table and rushed to go polish silver wear. We had to physically stand up for just about everything that we needed to pull our server from her side work. (That is of course when she was actually in backspace and had not disappeared into park side) I even got so frustrated halfway through that I asked her if she was waiting tables at park side too. She remained oblivious to the fact that we were upset and giggled. The closing manager would walk in and out but did not walk by and ask how we were. Food was so-so
- Delicious but not overwhelminggetnmybellyDined on 7/11/2014The food was very good but did not blow our socks off-perhaps it was overhyped to us before we came though. Still-very very tasty and a good price! The pizza was fresh and full of flavors and the anti pasti was all very interesting. The dessert which was a salted caramel panna cotta was very very good and did wow us! The wine was fantastic.Special Features:
- Great spotEJinAustinDined on 7/10/2014Atmosphere is perfect...not many tables and overall a small place. Food and service are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best pizza and great dessert!cddinerDined on 7/5/2014Amazing pizza and excellent dessert! The place is very small and located on a small street off busy 6th street so can be hard to find and impossible to park at. We arrived at 8:30 on a Saturday night and they did offer valet for $10. However, since it is 6th street the streets are were closed down as we were leaving. The tables are snug for 6 and I couldn't see fitting more but don't let any of that scare you away. The pizza is worth it and the dessert tops it off. The bianca pizza was my favorite. The roasted mushroom and the sausage were also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seen better daysmurphmeisterDined on 7/3/2014we have been to backspace several times before and were surprised by the quality of the pizza this time. we noticed everyones pizza coming out had a lot of black char on it. ours was no different and it was also a little soggy. ususally the food is always amazing so hopefully it was on off night. 2 pizzas, 1 appetizer and 1 reasonable bottle of wine ($37) was over $80. felt a little expensive for the quality that night.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014Just like the name says, it's a quaint little restaurant behind the bustling 6 street. Make a reservation because it's a small place that fits around 40. Exceptional food, exceptional serviceSpecial Features:
- The following 84 reviews are from the The Backspace - Austin reviews archive.
- Great food, if you are in a hurryAllenFoodieDined on 6/21/2014The food and wine selection was outstanding; however, the service left a bad taste. We were on time for an 8 pm reservation (party of six) and we were seated immediately...great first impression! However, had we known "tables are only reserved for one hour" when we made the reservation, we would have chosen differently. Once the food arrived, the waitstaff hovered over our table to the point it was uncomfortable. We felt like we needed to choke down our food and gulp what was in our wine glass once the check came. The service took away from the whole experience, which makes me hesitant to recommend this restaurant if diners want something more than a quick bite of great pizza and a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had 5pm reservationCali2007Dined on 6/21/2014So we were there fairly early on a Saturday night. Only one other table was seated. But by 6p it was getting packed. Great service! Meatballs app was awesome! As was the mozzarella. Good wine. A little disappointed in the margherita pizza. The sauce wasn't very flavorful. Pretty bland actually. But otherwise, great place. We would go back.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Nearest you will come to Italy in Texas. Awesome. Sultry, unpretentious, different. Oasis in the middle of 6th madness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brick oven experiencejudahsoulja813Dined on 6/13/2014I took my girl here before going to The Elephant Room. She wanted a place with a brick oven and good pizza. We found it. I wish there were more options on the menu but what they do have they do very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fantasticDaveDined on 6/13/2014Great dinning experience every time. High quality food and staff is top notch. Can't wait to eat at Backspace again sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food, service unevenTXwriterDined on 6/11/2014I've been to Backspace numerous times. great food and great wine list. Ditzy waitress this time. One thing that drives me crazy about the place is not being able to get ice. Every liquid is lukewarm--irritating but not enough to keep me away!Special Features:
- Delicious!TexasMarieDined on 6/9/2014Went there for my birthday recently and just fell in love with the rustic environment and delicious pizza. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Amazing pizza crustBrittleDined on 6/6/2014The crust was to die for. Meatballs were fantastic. Pretty good sized cheeseboard too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bianca PizzaciciriderVIPDined on 6/3/2014For me it's all about the bianca pizza. I come in regularly just to have that. Everything else I've had here is very good too but that pizza makes it the best in Austin for me.Special Features:
- FifiDined on 5/29/2014WE love Backspace. It is one of our favorites... We will continue to go there as often as possible. We love to sit at the bar and the bartender/waiter is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.