The American Restaurant
200 East 25th Street, Suite 400
Mailing address: 200 East 25th Street, Suite 400
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The American Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theamericankc.com/
- Phone: 8165458001x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday - Saturday
Lounge opens at 4pm
Dinner reservations begin at 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Corvino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Limited to size & certain dates.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether celebrating a wedding anniversary or lucrative business deal, entertaining clients with an upscale reception or a five course dinner, The American Restaurant offers the perfect setting for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Mary Meade Eastman 8165458001x
- Entertainment: Jazz Singer & Piano most Wednesday and Saturday Nights.
A word from The American Restaurant
Voted #1 by the Kansas City public many times over, The American Restaurant is known for it's award winning contemporary cuisine. The extensive award winning wine list is one of the best in the city. The restaurant favors 3 story windows which give way to a spectacular view of the Kansas City Skyline.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The American Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard ›
The American Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (52)scenic view (44)fit for foodies (41)notable wine list (41)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (7)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- PhenominalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Overall an amazing experience, the service was outstanding, the food was a fun adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The American RestaurantXanonDined on 8/29/2014The American restaurant has to be Kansas City's top dining experience. Very experienced staff introduce you to a most unique menu. I would recommend it for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion AND Everyday ValueSouthernTransplant1Dined on 8/29/2014Our party of 6 was celebrating our anniversary, a wedding, and a new home purchase, so we stayed at a Crown Center area hotel and walked a block to the American. We had the chef's various "tasting menus" and were very impressed. (Our daughter greatly enjoyed her vegetarian choices). The mixed drinks were potent, the views inside and out panoramic, the waiters professional and genial, and the ambiance soothing, gorgeous and fun, not stuffy or crowded. The prices were reasonable given the quality, portions & wellness. I lived in KC in the 90s and heard that all the "Chicago railroad barons" went there, and now we know why. We will definitely go back, and not just for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dining in BBQ landpunkyddDined on 8/23/2014A near world class dining experience in Kansas City, no BBQ in sight. Skipping a tasting menu would be a shame, as you will miss many never dreamed of ingredient and taste combinations. The staff genuinely understood the menu offerings. Deep wine list and great course wine pairings. A couple minor quibbles - a beef "done two ways" was a little too tough, braised fennel too stringy to eat, and the decor of the high ceilinged dining room, although quiet and roomy, is quite sixties-ish and dated (the Sinatra tape playing on loop didn't help). The restaurant is part of the Hallmark Cards corporate complex, which could explain. We had a wonderful meal and overall enjoyable dining experience with friendly, casual yet professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!HawkeyeDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful, uniquely different menu. Unexpected & unusual combinations of flavors with great outcome. It was a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael Does it againOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/14/2014Again, one of the most fabulous evenings ever. Everything prepared to perfection with amazing style and palate. Fabulous wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceKrisDined on 8/7/2014My spouse and I ordered two different tasting menu with the wine pairings. It was a special evening. The food is very, very good. Very creative. The wine pairings were nice, but a little too desserty for my taste on the last two courses. The service is truly impeccable, but also very friendly (Midwestern thing). Lovely evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Perfect service from Nick and the rest of the staff - could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vive La RenaissanceDD99VIPDined on 8/1/2014After several moribund decades, The American has reclaimed its rightful position at the top of the KC food chain. Driven by an inventive new chef, the place hums with new energy, scheduling special events too numerous to mention. Now again best in town for serious diners' "special night out." Could use a facelift, though -- carpet, restrooms, chairs, black tablecloths have got to go.Special Features:
- American disappointingBlameitonrioDined on 7/26/2014We dined at the American Restaurant on Saturday night and were highly disappointed! We're fairly open-minded with food and adventurous and therefore always get a tasting menu at a restaurant when it's presented to us. The American's courses were just not good, in some cases. A caviar course (was decent), followed by a trout roe course (2 fish egg courses in a row??, and was not good), followed by a snail and rose water course (not sure if anyone had actually tasted this one, but was awful). 2 main courses were good, cheese course was good, dessert course was ruined by the tobacco flavored ice cream served on the side, which burns the throat. Typically like unusual food, but if tastes good. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Best in KC!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Chef Corvino has raised the bar at the American to a level not seen since the 90's. Everything was absolutely delicious. I especially enjoyed the uni and canteloupe dish along with the beef tartare. If you have not been to the American recently, you have to make it happen. Best food in KC right now along with the top notch service you expect from the classic fine dining venue.Special Features:
- Still One of the BestBobBDined on 7/17/2014The American Restaurant has been around for quite a while but it remains one of the truly top end dinner spots in Kansas City. The service is excellent and the food superb. Expensive with portions that are rather small, however the quality, preparation and presentation are all impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKarenVIPDined on 7/16/2014Our dinner was lovely. Service was impeccable. The meal was interesting and delicious. It was very, very expensive. Definitely a special occasion restaurant. Beautiful room and view, too.Special Features:
- For adventurous foodies...AnniversaryDinerDined on 7/3/2014I was excited to try the American. My first impression upon walking in was not positive. The decor has not been updated since the restaurant was built in 1974. It was no doubt at the height of architectural style then but to be honest I felt like we were dining at a bad yard sale. The view is wonderful. The food is art. The presentations and flavor combinations were unlike anything I had experienced. Unfortunately, for someone without the benefit of culinary education or practice it was hard to fully appreciate. I am certain the American is at the height of the culinary arts. I was simply not cultured enough to fully appreciate it. If you are you will likely enjoy it. If you are not you might want to spend your hard earned money elsewhere.Special Features:
- BelleDined on 6/28/2014The food and service was superb and we highly reccomend this to everyone.What a great anniversary dinner. I thought I had ate good salmon all over the world but nothing and I mean nothing could touch what I had on Saturday night(June 28th).Excellent ,excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing . . .DiningSistersDined on 6/26/2014In conjunction with our farewell to Willie, we took my sister from NJ to The American last week. Our experience was incredible - impeccable service, exquisite food and presentation, beautifully paired wines. The American is one of the best restaurants we've experienced . . .Special Features:
- 618-231-2700fmeaDined on 6/26/2014The food was artfully prepared and presented. Rather than order off one of the "tasting's," our table all opted to order from the ala carte menu. For the price, the portions were exceedingly small. I have eaten at a number of restaurants that presented small portions in a tasting ensemble, with 7 to 9 courses and was quite happy with them, but with the small portions, even after desert, we all left hungry.Special Features:
- DisappointingKCdinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Some dishes were excellent (white asparagus soup w/ poached egg, Maine scallops) while others were disappointing (oysters & caviar, pacific black cod, ispahan). Oysters & caviar included only 1 oyster & a small amount of caviar; black cod was nicely prepared but accompaniments were very sparse (only 2 or 3 fava beans & 2 or 3 mushrooms). The dessert, ispahan, was barely edible - way too perfumy. The service (Jared) was superb & the atmosphere, as always is incomparable. However, for what was charged, we are hard-pressed to recommend the American. Incidentally, our experience with this restaurant goes back some 30 years.Special Features:
- Legacy DisappointmentBillVIPDined on 6/17/2014Although the room was lovely and service excellent as always, we were disappointed in the 40th Anniversary Legacy Dinner. As my wife said, people shouldn't leave a $300 dinner feeling hungry. This was aggravated by waiting over 30 minutes between courses which is hard to understand since room wasn't full despite reservations being full. Tasting menu and wine flights were elegant to view but not filling to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American's 40th anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/17/2014This evening was fantastic! the food was really out of this world. It helped us appreciate that the Kansas City Food scene is full of great energy. Featuring six chefs - one for each course, amazing wine pairings. It was absolutely delightful, every detail was perfect. The meal (including the win pairings) was quite expensive, but for such a special meal, it was a worthy indulgence. The actual reservation process on open table was a little clunky, because it was a special event. American restaurant has had to call me back to confirm that I understood it was a special event. Would be great if there was a way for open table to know that.Special Features:
- I'll be back.PDiddy1234NotDined on 6/13/2014Great service. Great Chefs & kitchen crew. Exciting food. Can't wait to return. Amazing. Since thanks. Much gratitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor valueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2014Limited menu, lamb ribeye the fattest I've EVER had, portions small, staff stiff, best thing about it was bartender and he is retiring July 1!
- Underwhelmed 5 starKCDiner57Dined on 6/6/2014We asked for a window table and told it was reserved - no one ever showed. The choices of entrées were limiting. Wine list too complicated. Ordered a 2009 Cakebread Cab and sommelier brought a 2010 and didn't even know the difference until we said something. He did not try to help us with another selection. Also this vintage was less expensive but he did not offer to give us any credit. They triple the cost of their wine. The portions in the tasting were really small. In a 5 star you should never have to ask for anything - for example ice or butter refills. And finally - we had looked forward to using the credit on our KC Originals card - only to be told that they could not redeem any points, only add them.
- ExcellentSandyVIPDined on 6/4/2014Our server was very helpful with selections on menu. Food delicious. Made our anniversary a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time not a charmMemphisDined on 6/2/2014This was my third visit and while the first two experiences were outstanding, this dinner fell short of our expectations. Specifically, the Pacific Cod had a poor presentation, tasted weird and had a pasty texture. Otherwise the experience was as expected.Special Features:
- The Art of Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/30/2014We were in town for a weekend, and were very impressed. Excellent views of downtown, regal interior, classic feel. While the decor and ambience are a bit "old school", the food is contemporary and inventive, and the wine list outstanding. Highly recommend the tasting menus with the wine pairings, you will have the best experience. Molecular gastronomy meets Walla Walla tradition. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceWorldTravelersDined on 5/29/2014This was our first time eating at the American. Every dish was a delicate work of art. Presentation was exquisite, and the flavors were amazing. One of the best meals we've ever had - anywhere.Special Features:
- Not Impressedbullfrog2424Dined on 5/24/2014We went to the American for our 11 year wedding anniversary. My wife has always wanted the fine dining experience s i I surprised her with dinner. The restaurant was a bit outdated but beautiful none the less. The food on the other hand was by far not to our liking! The menu was extremely vague and we had not expected anything to taste the way it did. No disrespect to the chef but the "experience" 10 course meal was apparently not suitable for our "less than sophisticated" palates. We did however enjoy our experience very much!Special Features:
- LaughableDjbaanDined on 5/24/2014The restaurant looks as though it has not been updated since it opened. It does, however, offer a beautiful view of the Kasas City skyline. That is the only positive thing I can say about it, though. It is extremely overpriced and everything we had was average, at best. My husband and I each had an appetizer and entree but were so disappointed with those courses that we did not order dessert. The portions were so small that I went home and ate leftovers from the restaurant we had eaten at the night before. Needless to say, we will never go back.
- Big Anniversary!JoeWDined on 5/22/2014We celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary with a special dinner here. It exceeded our expectations! Food and service were world class. We will be sure to come here more often than just for a special occasion. Savvy KC diners should rediscover this local gem!Special Features:
- Making a Special Night MagicalLibbyPeachesDined on 5/17/2014The service, wine list, and tasting menu at The American Restaurant made celebrating a milestone in my marriage unforgettable. The servers were attentive, friendly, unobtrusive, and honestly made us feel special, like we were at a cozy dinner party more than a formal restaurant. The pacing of the chef's tasting menu, which was explained in loving detail by our servers, was leisurely, allowing us to savor the mind-numbing combinations of flavor and never rushing us. The view was spectacular, the live music both celebratory and low-key. I will recommend this place for anyone craving that feeling of being well-cared for and well-fed, and will most definitely be back to celebrate!Special Features:
- Fantastic eveningrfoodreviewVIPDined on 5/14/2014Once again the American Restaurant proved to be one of the premier restaurants in our experience. We attended on a night the restaurant celebrated their forty years of service. The food was divine. The service exemplary, Robert did a wonderful job. The American remains at the top of our list of great places to dine outy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2014Always a great dining experience--wonderful food, wine, service and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary Stars!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014The American is the most unique outstanding restaurant in Kansas City, or anywhere for that matter. It's decor and architecture are works of of art with its glorious lofty cathedral like ceiling, stunning stairway to the dining room level.Special Features:
- The following 753 reviews are from the The American Restaurant reviews archive.
- Always greatdforDined on 5/3/2014Had a wonderful dinner with great service. We always count on the American for a special evening.Special Features:
- Wonderful!JannyGDined on 5/2/2014We love getting into casual elegant duds and enjoying super cuisine that not only is picture perfect, but truly fine dining. You definitely pay for this foodie experience, but we are not in KC that often, so when we are, we head for The American Restaurant at Crown Center.Special Features:
- Hidden GreatnessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/2/2014The American Restaurant is a gift. The service is exceptional. The food is unique , fun, and tasty. What is not to like?Special Features:
- A perfect evening.bluejellyfishDined on 4/30/2014I brought my son to celebrate his 16th bday, & his first 10-course dinner. While adventurous, he was a little hesitant. He tried many new foods like caviar, squab, & Dungeness crab to name a few. He became more excited w/each course, commenting on the plating, colors, aromas, & how each bite tasted a little different. The artful desserts brought a huge smile, of course. I'm vegetarian and the chef altered my 10-course to accommodate. Each plate was incredibly beautiful & delicious. The service was friendly, informative, and made my son feel particularly special. The experience was well worth the cost. The only downside is now he wants to return often ;) but I'm glad they have an a la carte in the lounge so we can pop in for a quick dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experienceReddDined on 4/30/2014Fantastic view looking out over the city, the food, service, and the atmosphere made the whole experience wonderful. Had the chef experience which came with 10 separate courses with the wine pairing .Couldn't ask for anymoreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with the foodDisappointedDined on 4/26/2014approx. 7 years ago, I ate regularly at the American (lunch and dinner). The food was always extraordinary. Portions of our food on Saturday evening was good - or even very good - my entrée, in particularly (the gnocchi) was VERY disappointing. There seems to be too much emphasis on 'form' - being unique - and not enough focus on serving food that tastes good. Our deserts were not particularly good, either. Good food is the core of any dining experience. I almost never provide feedback in these forums, but it was so disappointing to see such a good restaurant miss the mark by such a wide margin.Special Features: