400 Haywood Rd
Asheville, NC 28806Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theadmiralnc.com/
- Phone: 8282522541
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner service from 5pm - 9:45pm Monday -Sunday.
Late night Friday and Saturday until 2
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ivan Candido
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: After dinner on Friday and Saturday we clear out our dining tables and transform the dining room into a unique dance floor. Voted best place place to dance by Mountain Express.
A word from The Admiral
Relying on timeless décor, gentle service, and inventive cuisine the Admiral serves delicious food without the restraints of convention. The menu changes daily to utilize seasonal flavors, locally produced foods, and new ideas. Reservations are strongly suggested, although bar seating is available on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Admiral - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
The Admiral reviews from OpenTable diners
318 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (263)neighborhood gem (194)special occasion (172)romantic (82)hot spot (72)notable wine list (46)late-night find (40)vibrant bar scene (29)good for groups (14)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Special EventOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014We came to the Admiral to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and eat some outstanding food. We had high expectations and we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014We arrived for our reservation and found parking difficult ( the only real downside ) We waited approximately 10 minutes for reservation ( we did not consider this a issue ) The wait staff was extremely friendly The food was excellent
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Good food, o.k. atmosphere. I think I would have rated it higher if there had not been so much hype about how fabulous it was. It was very tasty but I guess I was expecting spectacular.Special Features:
- great foodgilgeDined on 8/28/2014As usual the food was fantastic. There were five of us and we ordered three entrees and four small plates. Everyone enjoyed their food. I always expect and get some unusual food. The leek mash I had with my steak was great and something I had never heard of. The horse radish aioli was perfect with the steak. The wait staff was very attentive. We had two people taking care of us and they were great.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentgrannysmithDined on 8/27/2014Food is always different and excellent. Staff is very friendly and helpful. A broader local beer 'draft' selection would be welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!POOH92643VIPDined on 8/27/2014The Admiral is always fantastic and incredibly creative with their dishes! Great atmosphere and service!Special Features:
- Gourmet heaven!ElleDined on 8/27/2014We are NEVER disappointed at The Admiral. It's admittedly a funky, understated place, but we find that charming. The food is incredible, reasonably priced for the very high quality, and always amazing. It's our favorite restaurant in Asheville, and that's saying a lot!Special Features:
- Best YetLovegoodfoodDined on 8/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our 48th wedding anniversary at The Admiral and left with huge smiles on our faces and the desire to return at the earliest possible convenience. In short, we have been in Asheville for 10 years and this was without a doubt as good a meal as we've had during that time. Moreover, the service from the time we walked in the door was superb. We were concerned that maybe the experience at the The Admiral might be disappointing since we had heard so many nice things about it, but, if anything, our feeling is that it exceeded any and all expectations ! If you want the best that Asheville has to offer, try The Admiral !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food preparationBillDined on 8/26/2014One of the best restaurants in the southeast. Need to experience to understand..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LizzyDined on 8/26/2014Delicious and cozy time for a celebration for my partner who was leaving the next morning for a 470mile trek on the French part of the Camino! Lovely waitress, yummy scallops and my mate loved his rack of lamb. Utterly satisfying on all levels, many thanks. And what a treat to just be able to walk over from our house and have such an experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Hard to find but worth seeking out. Standouts on the menu: beef tartare, complete with quail egg and the mussels.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014One of the top restaurants in Asheville. We often stay in downtown when visiting Asheville, and are reluctant to get in the car at night given how many good restaurants are in walking distance. But The Admiral is worth the drive (plus, as of this weekend you can take Uber!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerLuv2runnrideDined on 8/22/2014We celebrated our 27th anniversary and the food, service, and entire experience was outstanding. Portion sizes were large. Presentation was amazing. Great place to enjoy a meal. I highly recommend the Admiral.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous, delicious food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Unique and very comfortable atmosphere. Helpful, knowledgeable wait persons. Exquisite meal. Wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Never Dissappointed.MountainjimVIPDined on 8/20/2014Living in Asheville is a food lovers dream, and The Admiral is right at the top of the list for great food.Living in Asheville, I am always excited when I have out of town guests visiting, so I can bring them to The Admiral. The menus is always changing, but the food is always wonderfully prepared, and presentation and taste is perfect.Special Features:
- another good dinnerGoodEatsDined on 8/19/2014Another wonderful food experience. My son had the pork chop, I had the halibut each was excellent in its own way. I've dined at the Admiral quite a few times and it has never disappointed. Is it pricey, a bit, but so are other places in town where the experience is much more uneven and unpredictable. Here you know you'll always dine well.Special Features:
- Best food ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Great food, great service. I love the dive bar atomosphere. The cheese plate was fantastic. Also, don't miss the Friday and Saturday night late night dance party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally got a reservation!LuvRuthsDined on 8/16/2014After trying numerous times to get a table we finally found out what all the fuss is about. The food is excellent and the service is off the chart. The Admiral has a romantic atmosphere and great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to the Admiral.BoophillDined on 8/15/2014I heard about the Admiral for years and finally made it there for dinner. It lives up to it's excellent reputation. I was very impressed by the service and food. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Would Have Thought1redfishDined on 8/12/2014Dive area, dive building, devine experience. Not the area one would usually want to stop. The building would make a great biker bar. But very enjoyable experience in this eclectic jewel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable limits reservationsrapmanDined on 8/12/2014Online, OpenTable refused to expand number of persons beyond 5 for reservations. The restaurant was unaware of this , while 3 tables and other seating sat empty the entire time of our meal. This did not improve our experience and it was not the the restaurant's fault. "Lose, lose" We lost, the restaurant lost.Special Features:
- Bringing Electric Food to the SouthStephZDined on 8/11/2014This is a must-go for any foodie that finds themselves in the Asheville area. Make reservations, as there is limited seating available and the place is always packed, even on what would seem like off-peak days and times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good little restaurantLisafromOakvilleDined on 8/11/2014We went to the Admiral on a trip to Asheville due to the fact that it was recommended. When we arrived we weren't sure if we were in the right place because there were no cars outside and the place was quite small. However, when we got inside we found the place packed. The food was very good, as was the wine.
- The Admiral is worth the effortIllinoisEatersDined on 8/11/2014Don't be put off by the parking situation (pretty nightmarish) or the appearance of the building (pretty run-down) -- arrive a bit early to find your parking spot (I parked on Michigan, south of the restaurant), and simply go in. You will not be disappointed in your meal. In fact, our meal was fantastic! We had appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts, and we were heartily impressed all the way around. The service was terrific as well. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but I've had worse meals that cost a lot more! We would definitely return!Special Features:
- Delicious food, sad wine listJaniemaeDined on 8/11/2014We loved the neighborhood ambiance. Service was only average. Our food was excellent. The wine list lacked an "oakey' Chardonney. Our wait person was happy for us to try the "house wine" as it was the most buttery, oakey. It was not what we were looking for. We finally decided on the French Rose, the closest to a decent bottle of full bodied white that we could find on the list. We enjoyed it, but an addition of a buttery Chardonnay would be a great addition. Food was amazing.Special Features:
- Culinary adventureZoroDined on 8/10/2014The Admiral is not for those seeking the familiar, but is great for those interested in trying creative, imaginative variations on old themes. Menu offering both small and large plates makes it easy for members of a group to try many options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the wait!ShugDined on 8/9/2014We have tried for years to make a reservation on a weekend when we were visiting Asheville. Of course, we were worried it might not live up to the hype and a little nervous we'd disappoint out of town friends we had invited. All the five starreviews we read, were spot on. Everyone agreed it was a fabulous meal and worth a special night in Asheville. Reserve months in advance if you want a weekend reservation. We plan to return with more friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Go If Visiting Asheville AreaNorthJerZFoodieDined on 8/8/2014Anyone with any appreciation for food and/or the culinary arts must visit The Admiral. The food (and cocktails) are absolutely phenomenal. Every dish is so delicately prepared with the utmost attention to the detail of every ingredient - and it shows. I visited The Admiral for the first time 2 years ago and haven't stopped thinking about it since. It IS that memorable. I was in Asheville last week and was pleased to see that the establishment was able to provide, once again, an above-average dining experience. I can't even highlight any one dish on the menu because everything we ate was spot-on fabulous from small plates to entrees to dessert. And we ate a LOT.Special Features:
- A Nice Date...LudwigVanWouldSayDined on 8/5/2014I had been to "The Admiral" once before, but it was more of a group party crash thing. This time I booked my own reservations, and my date is of Korean heritage and lived in NYC for a bit as well, so I wanted to impress her with some international cuisine: this restaurant did not disappoint! The waitress was extremely nice and read my request per the online reservation and had our food ready in time for us to make it across town for a movie. Well done, excellent international food and great quality, and it is a definite "win"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014No kidding, The Admiral was the best dinner I've ever eaten out. Every part of the meal was just spectacular.Special Features:
- Amazing!ScottieoVIPDined on 8/3/2014Second visit to the Admiral in W. Asheville. It was just as good as the first visit. My partner and I shared the tomato and peach salad which was divine. He had the broiled scallops and I, the halibut. The flavors for both dishes were amazing and although neither looked like much food, we agreed that the course was plenty filling. That said, we squeezed in an incredible piece of the chocolate cake for dessert. The emphasis was on the dark chocolate, not on the sugar. Very edible and the perfect finish to a fabulous meal. Don't let the exterior of the place, nor the location put you off. This is a must when in Asheville. Reservations are necessary, as the place is very small. Book well in advance for a weekend night.Special Features:
- Another great dinner at the AdmiralOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014As usually the food was delicious. My wife had steak and I had the pork chop. My only complaint is a minor one. With the pork chop one time I had a mushroom stuffing that was to die for. I wish it was a side all the time with the pork chop. Service was good and the beer list was also generous.Special Features:
- What an experience!!Bud1Dined on 8/3/2014Food was unmatched. Admiral expects guests to linger for 2 hours without being rushedSpecial Features:
- Everything was incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2014From the tomato/peach salad to the ceviche, scallops, and then ridiculous custard with basil ice cream and peaches - everything was terrific. We also left so obsessed with the Felsina Van Sento dessert wine that we bought several bottles at the wine shop afterward. Scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unassuming facade w/ great delivery1969paulVIPDined on 8/1/2014You'd never think this cinder block building had such a nice restaurant inside. Glad to know talented restauranteurs don't have to put on airs to show good quality. Really enjoyed this gem in the neighborhood and will return.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014The Admiral restaurant's staff and food was a true culinary experience! Do not miss this adventure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimgDined on 7/31/2014Would never have stopped due to location and outside appearance unless recommended. Once food arrived, glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmet at a dive barJensenDined on 7/30/2014Fantastic meal. I had mussels and steak, and both were great. It took quite a while to get our initial drink order, but everything else went off perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticsadie1633Dined on 7/30/2014The food was AMAZING! Best food is Asheville by far. Completely blown away by the quality of our meal. Unforgettable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemggfifiDined on 7/30/2014This local gem is worthy of our daughter's recommendation. The menu is not extensive, but whatever we chose was perfectly prepared, and went well together: the sauce, the condiments, the presentation, the service. Our reservation was a little earlier in the evening than we like. However, it was probably the perfect time as the establishment would be a little too cozy and too noisy when it gets full and would dull the experience (in our view, a good meal deserves its enjoyment with a tiny bit of silence). All in all, it's worthy to make the effort to stop and find the parking place. We will be happy to repeat the experience and do wish that the chefs would add more choices and more vegetarian fare.Special Features: