Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant
8293 Main Street
Ellicott City, MD 21043Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tersiguels.com/
- Phone: 4104654004x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, French
- Executive Chef: Michel Tersiguel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Tersiguel's is famous for their tableside preparation of crepes suzette and chateaubriand.
- Special Events: Tersiguel's is known for their cooking classes with one hour demonstration by Chef Michel Tersiguel and followed by a 5 course lunch. Also featured are themed wine dinners where Chef Michel presents multiple inspired courses matched with exquisite wine selections.
- Cross Street: Old Columbia Pike
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have public parking on the street, 2 hour parking limit during the daytime hours and unlimited after 6:00pm. Also behind the restaurant their is free parking lot of about 260 spaces. Ellicott City also has 6 other parking lots off of Main Street.
A word from Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant
The Tersiguel family have been serving their unique version of French food for over 40 years. The menu at Tersiguel's is a combination of authentic French-style cooking and rustic country fare reminiscent of cuisine found in Tersiguel's original home of Brittany, France. Tersiguel's Cuisine is reflective of the seasons, with a garden that produces lettuces, herbs, vegetables, fruits and edible flowers. When the Garden is not producing Chef Michel Tersiguel will personally go and hand pick all fruit and vegetables at the whole sale market in Jessup, Maryland. Tersiguel's is quintessential French Country "from the farm to your plate" cooking. Chef Tersiguel describes his food as "French soul food". The Tersiguel family has operated one of the regions best restaurants for over 40 years and continues this tradition with annual ratings of "Best French Restaurant" from the Zagat and Baltimore Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ellicott City ›
Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)romantic (49)fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (36)neighborhood gem (30)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (14)good for groups (6)scenic view (4)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Awesome placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014I've been in the US for almost 19 years now, and being from Europe, we take our food seriously. This was among the top 2 best meals I have had in the USA. HANDS DOWN. The food was amazing, the ambiance was very romantic. If you never been there, and like french cuisine, then dont wait any longer and make reservation. Top of the LaneSpecial Features:
- MemorableJohnDined on 10/26/2014My wife and I needed a place to celebrate our anniversary this year. We chose Tersiguel's, partially for the food & setting, and partially because we love Ellicott City. The service was superb. We enjoyed a relaxed two hour meal. The shellfish hor devours were a perfect start. The server suggested a French Chardonnay, which went well with all courses. Our main course was rockfish in a puff pastry, surrounded by the best cream sauce we've ever had. Flambe crepes for dessert was a delicious conclusion to an awesome meal. The setting was romantic and we preserved the memory with a few pictures of the occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The food and service was excellent. I will keep this restaurant in mind for wonderful French cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flat out stupendousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Really great food; appropriately eccentric character/enjoyable waiter backed up with well-trained table staff; food presentation suburb; non-rush, very relaxing dining environment; did I mention the food was incredible? Not cheap - but a location where you truly GET what you pay for….. too many places charging these prices but coming up short on the trifecta – excellent food, incredible presentation, fabulous service. Primo!Special Features:
- Magnifique!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Nice. Good ambiance. My party was treated wonderfully. I expect many returns and subsequent visits.Special Features:
- Good but expensiveABCovDined on 10/24/2014The food was very good - but not worth the price. That said, sometimes you pay extra for the service or the ambiance but neither made it worth it. The room was smaller than my bedroom and yet had 6 tables. I heard everyone's conversation in detail and so there was no intimacy as you would expect at these prices. Glad we went but we probably won't go back.Special Features:
- suejDined on 10/24/2014We always for to Tersiguels for special occasions and are never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccableFrancophileDined on 10/19/2014Tersiguel's has been serving excellent French cuisine for decades in a charming former house in Old Ellicott City. Fernand Tersiguel is from Brittany, so try the fish stew Breton.Special Features:
- FantasticLadibugg237Dined on 10/18/2014As always, we enjoyed our dinner, and plan to continue to enjoy this regular spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wWONDERFULmargyDined on 10/14/2014Especially loved the rack of lamb with two sauces.Special Features:
- great food, great serviceCharmcityDinerDined on 10/11/2014From the moment we entered the crew treated us like royalty. The food was fantastic. The building was perfectly set for fine dining. Next best thing to actually going to France. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerDinerDined on 10/10/2014Our food was excellent, as always, and Erin, our server, was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fritzvanhyphenDined on 10/2/2014Age 73. This was my first French Restaurant in over twenty years. The restaurant was tastefully decorated and the wait staff were well above the norm. The food was good, well presented, but unremarkable.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchednaDined on 9/28/2014Five us went to a birthday brunch there on Sunday. We all had on tiara's as part of our girls weekend celebration. We had a wonderful crepes, omelets, escargot and oysters and many drinks. The service was wonderful and all the staff was exceptional. Tersiguel's has always been one of my favorite places to go to for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leener49Dined on 9/27/2014We were delighted with a dinner celebrating the 24th birthday of our daughter's boyfriend. From the moment we arrived, we were pampered. Service was flawless and understated. A new menu of custom cocktails was a total hit. Our guest, who (in college) had extensive experience working in highly rated restaurants, opined that the rack of lamb finished at the table was the best he had ever had. He also appreciated our server's knowledgeable wine recommendation. My husband rhapsodized over the combination of veal with veal sweethreads; we've never seen that combination before. My daughter and I had the special rockfish and shrimp risotto, which were excellent. Kudos! This is why Tersiguel's is our favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent all-around experience!barmstrongDined on 9/26/2014We had dinner at Terseguel's to celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary. The staff ( including the chef himself ) took time to welcome us and wish us a happy anniversary. The food was incredible! My wife had the duck and I had the scallops. We had lots of questions and the waiter was generous with his time and very patient. An all around wonderful experience and a place I will recommend and will frequent again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tersiguel's Still DeliversBethDined on 9/16/2014Had a delicious lunch Tuesday with a friend. In the heart of charming Ellicott City, we enjoyed impeccable service in a pleasant setting (historic home). Everything was delicious and beautifully presented. Our server was a pro with a sense of humor. It doesn't get any better than that. All in all, an experience I wish to repeat soon again. (Note: I had not dined at Tersiguel's in a few years and was a bit skeptical going in. My skepticism was unfounded.) Next time: dinner.Special Features:
- great night outsmiledoctorDined on 8/29/2014I hadn't been to the restaurant in many years and I wish that I hadn't waited so long. the food and the ambiance were excellent. I had the rockfish and it was delicious. my friend loved the beef stew. both of the women are disabled and the staff helped them up the stairs and into the restaurant.we will definitely return soon.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealwhisperinjeffDined on 8/27/2014Tersiguel's has been one of my favorite local restaurants for some time, but I moved out of state and hadn't been there for a couple of years. Well, not to worry as the formula of fine, fresh locally-sourced food and impeccable service hasn't changed. Our party of six arrived at different times, but that did not throw the staff off one bit. When 2 of our party arrived a little late, they were promptly shown to the table, given ice water and drink orders taken. The food was divine-appetizers, main course, dessert and coffee were served timely, but without being rushed. Our server was terrific-she was there when we needed her but she didn't hover. And the bottle of pinot noir she suggested was just perfect. I can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very frenchBabsVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very pricey for what you get. The cocktails were watered down, the salad was on a saucer and totally overpriced. I had the rockfish with fresh tomato salsa which was excellent. My brother had the lamb and steak combo which was also good. His wife had the scallops and she said it was good. However, $10 for a salad and $4.50 for a cup of salad outweighs the pros for me. If you want a special place and are close to it, then experience it.Special Features:
- Lunch at Tersiguel'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014As always, Tersiguel's delivers--outstanding, attentive, and knowledgeable waitstaff, food that isnfresh and innovative, and a comprehensive wine list. It is always aleasure to dine here, for lunch or dinner. Tersiguel's never dissapoints.Special Features:
- great service equal to great foodRegularChicagoDinerVIPDined on 8/3/2014This is a very genteel restaurant with service that is impeccable, friendly without over-familiarity, and that accompanies French classics with a few interesting twists. The food is above average for even good french restaurants here in the states. Well worth the cost. Nice reasonable wine list with some high ends you can splurge for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tersiguel's for Restaurant WeekDoubleTeeDined on 8/3/2014We had dinner at Tersiguel's near the end of Restaurant Week. The bread was fresh, service was excellent and the food was delicious! Beautiful presentation of the Salmon and the Coconut Sorbet, while pleasing to the taste buds. Decor was a bit dated, but super experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServicebestboopDined on 8/2/2014The escargot was the best I have ever tasted. However, the potatoes in the soup were not fully cooked. We waited over 40 minutes for our food to arrive. She did not apologize for the wait. When asked about our order, she said "the kitchen is aware that you are ready", & "It's the kitchen, not me". When the food arrived, it was cold. A filet mignon ordered "medium" was nearly rare. He told her the filet was "fleshy". She replied "fleshy"?; took his plate & said to the bus person "fleshy". Most of us did not eat our food because it was cold or not cooked properly and the bill was almost $400. So, unfortunately, I cannot rate the quality of the food because we did not eat most of it.
- DisappointedHeatherVIPDined on 8/2/2014First time to this restaurant and found it underwhelming. Both our dishes were disappointing and the ambience left much to be desired (do not sit upstairs). Wine list also grossly overpriced - very hard to see a $20 bottle marked up to $70. That's fine for a restaurant catering to business travelers but not for a restaurant in a town with empty storefronts. Do not plan on returning.
- Pleasant surprisehowardVIPDined on 7/31/2014We are Washingtonians. Read of this restaurant in Baltimore magazine. Went with some friends from Baltimore. Lived up to its rating. Excellent meal and service.Special Features:
- Perfect, every timephillyfoodieDined on 7/31/2014I've been coming to Tersiguel's for nearly 20 years now, and while I'm almost reluctant to share Howard County's best-kept dining secret, everyone really should know how wonderful this place is. Simply put, it's outstanding food, wonderful service, and a relaxing and charming atmosphere. It isn't often that you have food this good without any pretension, but at Tersiguel's that's what you get, every time. Suggested: appetizers - any specials, escargot, seasonal salads. Entrees: salmon, filet, poulet, any specials. Desserts: mousse and chocolate flourless cake.Special Features:
- Classic Rustic French CuisinepchakDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I enjoyed celebrating our wedding anniversary at Tersiguel's. The food was excellent, the appetizer, main course and dessert all showed complexity of flavor given the relatively simple ingredients. The dining room is a bit dated, but it does have some charm. The maitre d and waitstaff were all very attentive and gracious.Special Features:
- KarenDined on 7/27/2014Food and presentation was fantastic. Friendly atmosphere by all staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceMGJSDined on 7/26/2014I really could not say enough about the staff of Tersiguel's. I made reservations online. Judging by the website I asked for a specific room for some privacy for me and the lady. I called ahead two days prior to confirm, all was well. Got a call from the head waiter, Charlie, awesome guy. I didn't realize certain rooms were open based on nightly volume, which he explained. However, he set aside some space for us a little separate from everyone else in the enclosed patio. I'm flexible, so went with it. From the moment we arrived, we were taken care of. The room:perfect, the food and wine: matched, we had Charlie's undivided attention. Four hours later, we left. Start to finish, one of the best dining experiences I've had in years.Special Features:
- Great eveningSeamusDined on 7/26/2014My Husband and I went there for restaurant week and had a very enjoyable meal. The amuse-bouche was a very simple crostini with pickled carrot, not bad. We both ate the Potage Parmentier and thought it was merely average at best. He had a Rockfish filet wrapped in a thin pastry with a softcrab on top which he described as fantastic. I had the Boeuf à la Bourguignonne and though it was fairly good, I expected a more flavorful sauce for the high price tag. There was a small plate of squash with fresh mint to share which nicely prepared and not overcooked. I had a the Crème Caramel au Café which had good flavor but had separated a good bit;his Mouse was very good.Service was outstanding and the decor I would describe as Country Elegant?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticjohncDined on 7/25/2014The absolute best restaurant in the Baltimore area. My wife and I have been to dozens of restaurants between Maryland and DC and we always come back to Tersiguel's. The food is always nothing less than perfect and the service is fantastic. You truly feel like you are pampered when dining at Tersiguel's. The staff is so professional and you can tell that they are treated well by management because of their unrelenting attention to detail, manners, and the fact that they don't overwhelm or both you as the guest. They give you a complimentary hors d'oeuvre on the house and bring out house vegetables, straight from the garden with whatever you eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentKaren3catzDined on 7/20/2014Staff friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Knowledgable about wine pairings. Food always fresh and delicious. Always a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!!SRS7Dined on 7/19/2014I took my friend for our birthdays. The food was delicious, the service was spot on and we had a great night. I completely recommend their blue cheese casesr salad as well as the New York strip steak. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion locationdolanjpDined on 7/19/2014Great food, incredible service. A little pricey, but worth it for the food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another home run!MDNeighborDined on 7/17/2014When my friend of 50 years wanted to take me out for my birthday, he had no trouble deciding on the best restaurant for us. We dismissed many fine restaurants in DC and its closest suburbs because of traffic congestion and parking issues and decided on my own county, where Tersiguel's is the best. It has a small-town, yet sophisticated, atmosphere and is quiet enough for civilized conversation. The wait staff/maitre d' was super attentive. Our dinners included an elegant potato-and-leek soup, a refined version of socca, an over-the-top Caesar salad, a large steak that got its final searing table-side, perfectly cooked melt-in-your mouth rare tuna, and fresh beans from the restaurant's garden. A fresh berry Napoleon provided a sweet ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were spot onAdmiralRedsDined on 7/12/2014I have found that ordering appitizers at lunch time is a fun thing to do and of course sharing is half the fun. The bread at Tersiguel's is out of this world. While my companion was not over the moon about her steak she did send it back and was presented with a second steak (in the Chef's defence no steak should be ordered medium well) The second steak was ordered medium rare and in my opinion was very tasty. The salmon...the salmon oh wow! A good time was had! Dessert..OMG..the mousse was perfect the fruit tart was beautiful but the cheese cake was out of this world!Special Features:
- Fantastic, as alwaysjohnnybuddhaDined on 7/11/2014We've been Tersiguel's several times before, usually for special occasions such as birthdays or our anniversary. We celebrated our 21st anniversary on 11 July with dinner. We had the Caesar Salad - the homemade dressing is delightful - and Potato Leek soup. Chef sent an eggplant amuse bouche. Entrees: Scallops in passion fruit brown butter and beet risotto, rockfish in pastry with saffron Yukon golds and seafood infused sauce. Dessert was a Napoleon with Meyer lemon cream and blueberries in red currant syrup. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. The sauces complement the protein perfectly, the protein is cooked just right. The service is spot on: there when you need them, absent while you are enjoying the food. Excellent spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerDincroftonDined on 7/8/2014We always select a restaurant we've never been to for our anniversary dinner. Some we never go to a second time. Not so this one. It has it all, great food and drink, very attentive wait staff and convenient parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in a great town!Lovefrench21Dined on 7/2/2014The restaurant was great and really good service!! Delicious food and all very fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1238 reviews are from the Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant reviews archive.