Tender Bar + Kitchen
4300 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tender Bar + Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tenderpgh.com/
- Phone: 4124029522x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steve Hebrank
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Whether planning a business meeting, cocktail party, or other private celebration, Tender is pleased to tailor our cuisine for your event. Contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Tender offers two unique, richly designed rooms for private dining. Contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Carr 4124029522x
- Entertainment: We feature live music every Tuesday evening, 8-11pm.
A word from Tender Bar + Kitchen
Tender Bar + Kitchen is an American cocktail lounge & restaurant that celebrates a return to a past era. Cocktails are crafted with pride and in the classic tradition by respected professionals behind the bar. The inspired food menu offers soul-satisfying small plates that celebrate American cuisine. Dishes are prepared in a scratch kitchen, with organic, sustainably grown produce, meats, and fish as often as possible. The space is open, the atmosphere warm and inviting, the design a reflection on early 20th century lifestyle. Tender draws inspiration, and its name, from the Arsenal Bank building it occupies – a storied financial institution that served the Lawrenceville community, exchanging legal tender for its patrons for over a century.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Tender Bar + Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Lawrenceville ›
Tender Bar + Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (32)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (17)special occasion (14)late-night find (13)good for groups (11)hot spot (10)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- A night with friends/familyLeboPittsburghDined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed our evening with friends/family. Really liked the menu , though limited. If you love speciality drinks , you will enjoy this restaurant ! Love the atmosphere .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014HAD A GREAT MEAL AND JASON WAS WONDERFUL!! HE HAD GREAT SUGGESTIONS AND IS ALWAYS ATTENTIVE AND PLEASANT . I WILL BE BACK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boardwalk Empire Revisited!Carmnick1219Dined on 8/27/2014Wonderful cocktails with that "prohibition" 1920s feel! Creative and ingenious menu and impeccable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burger-slow serviceDrazilDined on 8/18/2014We checked out the burger night (Mondays). The menu was limited, we were told that they were switching back to their full menu the next day after restaurant week. This was fine, though, we both got the burgers and it was quite good. The service was a bit spotty. I think our server was very busy, but we didn't get much guidance or attention. The hits and food runner were both very attentive. Overall, I'd go back, but leave a lot of time for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome cocktails and serviceNorthHillsBourbonFansDined on 8/15/2014What a great date spot! Had so many unique cocktails and our server (Brynn) was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun cocktails!BraddockSmashDined on 8/13/2014Great cocktails, tasty food, but service, though friendly, could use improvement-- our server disappeared for a while and we decided not to order another round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried itWilliamsbaDined on 8/11/2014Trying some eateries for restaurant week and started off with Tender. Terrific, crafty burgers, amazing asparagus soup, potato skins not the run of the mill. All in all a fun place but music too loud to have conversation with our group of 6 without trying to get louder.Special Features:
- Great!MidgemillerVIPDined on 8/9/2014I've been wanting to try this place for a while now, so when I finally got to go over the weekend I was very excited. The cheese & meat tray was fantastic! The portion sizes for the small plates were very generous! The service was okay, not the happiest bunch of people, but the staff was on spot. Location was great! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Love this placeMikeyDined on 8/1/2014This was our second visit to Tender and again another great dining experience. The food is phenomenal and unique with artistic flair, vibrant flavors and careful preparation. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great plates for sharingnewpghfoodieDined on 7/24/2014Every small plate was done amazingly well. The tailored menu offered enough to choose from for foodies, while not being overwhelming. Attentive service, and perfect evening / late night atmosphere. We will be back, and would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Been here previously. Food is consistently and drinks are consistently good service not so much. We were a group of 3 sharing small plates all of which came to the table at the same time. We had to ask about dessert, coffee was not offered. When we did order dessert it took 20 minutes and had to ask about it. Some problem with ice cream maker which we weren't informed about and desserts were unremarkable! Because of length of time spent, I received a $20 parking ticket in the lot adjacent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic cocktail barloriDined on 7/21/2014The bartenders know what they're doing. Amazing drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceampst8Dined on 7/19/2014With a group of 6 for dinner. The service was friendly. Both the food and drinks were unique and delicious. Personally, I had the special of the day - Lamb Shank - it fell off the bone. I hope they keep it on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks but not great serviceSnafoodDined on 7/18/2014The spirits and cocktail at Tender Bar are excellent. The menu is relatively limited, but what they offer is pretty good. The confit wings are tasty and the burger is better than average though no comparison to a similarly priced burger at Butterjoint. The service is friendly but not always conscientious and they seem to struggle with accommodating order modifications.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice AmbianceSnipperetteDined on 7/13/2014My husband and I had brunch here recently and had a mediocre experience. Our cocktails were alright, but nothing to write home about and our food was below expectations. I had the eggs benedict, which arrived cold and without much seasoning. My husband had the french toast which arrived at a much more pleasant temperature but was very dry. While our servers were very sweet and checked in on us often, the pace was quite slow and we chose not to order additional drinks because we knew it would add at least an extra half an hour to our meal. I like what Tender is trying to do - they just need to step it up in the kitchen and empower the waitstaff to do more than just fill water glasses.Special Features:
- Great Local GemMichaelDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I have been here twice in the last month and have had great experiences both times. The unique changing menu is spectacular with many different flavors and an artistic flair put into each menu item. They have an extensive bourbon list but a short wine list. The place is small but I didn't feel cramped. Good energy and good service. The head chef Brian is truly talented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last Friday..New2pghDined on 7/5/2014The food was in very small portions.. I'm ok with this but at least make everything taste good! The meatballs were dry and hard, the tartar was very wet, the pork belly was good and the wings were ok. The service took forever and I'm pretty sure that our waiter had a chew in his bottom lip... Overall tender was just bad!Special Features:
- Wonderful6burghfoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Tender was a last minute pick after spending the day in the strip district. Easy parking. Loved the ambiance of the redo of the bank building. Our seating was right next to the vault. The drink menu is probably the best I have encountered in years. The waiter made drink suggestions that were fantasticly delicious. Drinks were served in very quaint glasses. Appetizers, salad, and burgers entertained my taste buds in between experimenting with various brands of gin. Service was outstanding & prices reasonable. Would like to return on a Friday happy hour for more experimenting! Menu featured local ingredients from farms in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all-around bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014We arrived at 7pm on a Wednesday to a nearly empty restaurant that was filling quickly. There was one person working the entire restaurant (including the outside space) and she was overloaded. We waited 20+ minutes for our drinks to arrive and had to flag her down after an additional wait to place an appetizer order. We were disappointed to there was no charcuterie plate available because "no one had been able to pick up the meat order." ?? When the small plates arrived we were confused by the portioning -- 3 meatballs, a cheese plate with 3 small pieces of bread. It made sharing awkward. After being there for nearly an hour and not even being able to find our server to place place a dinner order, we decided to cut our losses and leave.Special Features:
- Favorite Bar in the CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/6/2014As always we had a wonderful night out at Tender. The atmosphere is perfect for a quite night out with friends. The drinks are delicious and always fun to try! If you are overwhelmed by the amount of options just tell your server what your in the mood for and they will whip you up the perfect drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Unique Place!!!MikeMDined on 6/6/2014Tender is a unique place with a great ambience. It encompasses a comfortable mix of casual and fine dining with a twist. The servers were also very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks&FoodLisaDined on 5/31/2014Specialty drinks were awesome! Limited food menu; however, burgers were delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Best cocktails in the city! Worth the price! Make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinksbourbondrinkerDined on 5/17/2014The drinks are amazing and the hamburgers are delicious. Try the Lion's Tail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks, beautiful bar051959VIPDined on 5/15/2014A true gem for drinks. Trendy scene after work or late night Gorgeous bar. Great music. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- in the basementEpicuredelightDined on 5/11/2014We booked at the last minute for brunch on mothers day and were happy to get a reservation. Being from out of town we had no idea what to expect but had read good things. We arrived on time for our reservation and were taken downstairs to a private room with no windows. Despite it being a beautiful day with the restaurant wide open and only three tables seated, the hostess insisted we had to sit downstairs because the place was about to fill up. Reluctantly we agreed. Our food and cocktails were delicious. Despite the fact that the restaurant rarely serves brunch they did a fantastic job. The service was warm and friendly, apart from the hostess. When we left an hour later, the bar was empty and many tables were still empty upstairs.Special Features:
- The following 103 reviews are from the Tender Bar + Kitchen reviews archive.
- Amazing Spirits Listdpn1902Dined on 5/3/2014The drink list occupies 3 1/2 pages of the 4-page menu. I would recommend my Mezcal cocktail, Tres Hombres. There are a limited number of dinner items, but they are very well-prepared from fresh local ingredients; better to do a limited number of dishes just right. I enjoyed my Risotto with early Spring vegetables. The service is attentive. It's a great place to meet with friends. As such, it is a little loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only...nomoreDined on 4/12/2014Upon arriving my wife and I were promptly seated even though we were ten minutes early for an 830 dinner reservation. The girl who sat us would be the one who shined for the rest of the evening.The rest of our party arrived shortly after and we began to decide what we were going to drink and eat.To avoid running on and on the two girls who waited on us were the rudest waitresses I have ever encountered. From the attitude to the overall way they spoke to us you could tell they just thought "I'm hot and I'm better than you!The food was amazing, the drinks were good, but no way worth the price.My friends wife spilled some wine after dinner and the girl who sat us, apologized to my friends wife and cleaned it up.She should have got the $85 tip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant Bar SceneCharneyDined on 4/4/2014Very lively well run bar. We had a cheeseboard that was delicious and my hamburger and my husband's fish sandwich were both excellent. Dessert a bit disappointing, but decaf coffee was fine. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Martini timeRocky1Dined on 3/28/2014I like the decor and ther server was excellent. The noise level ws just a bit much for my husband and I. I understand with the high ceiling and the hard wood floors the noise level is not muted at all. This would be a great place for young people but not so much the older crowd. The drink list is extensive but after the martininis we ordered were not up to par I was not willing to try another and be disappointed again. Too much vermouth . That is the first time I really did not like the way the martini was made. Neither did my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun hangoutwhimDined on 3/22/2014Really enjoyed the place / atmosphere. Hungout with friends and had some really good apps and drinks. Definitely would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic cocktail barloriDined on 3/21/2014This is a great place for perfectly crafted drinks by bartenders who know exactly what they're doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burger!janleeDined on 3/10/2014Two of us went on Burger Monday and had the Tender Burger and the Blue Burger with tater tots. The food was delicious, as were our cocktails! Good deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burgers and cocktailsVioletGrizzlyDined on 3/3/2014The bar dominates the space and the menu. The cocktails were good and interesting. The food menu was less extensive than I expected, but the food was quite good, and everything they had looked interesting. The only down sides were the noise level and the service. The space is open and pretty. We were there on a Monday night so it was relatively quiet in terms of the number of guests but it still got pretty loud. I can't imagine what it's like on a busy Friday or Saturday night. The service was friendly and knowledgeable, but a little slow to take our order and ask for refills or next drinks. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BarDineTenderDined on 3/1/2014The staff was attentive and drinks were great. The atmosphere is lounge oriented with great selection of alcohol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experienceFoodie4lifeDined on 2/28/2014Great cocktail selection! I liked the decor and design of the place. A bit pricey, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding cocktailsMaximalVIPDined on 2/21/2014Say what you will about the craft cocktail scene, I love it and this place has it down. The food menu is fairly limited, but this is OK by me- we had excellent drinks and a tasty burger. The waitstaff was excellent as well- knowledgeable, friendly, and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tender's the Very BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Easily my favorite spot in lawrenceville if not the entire city. The staff is fun, knowledgeable, and very service oriented. They are always happy to suggest a cocktail or make something special for you. Still not much experience with the good other than snacks and dessert but the drinks are second to none. Wonderful atmosphere as well.Special Features:
- Cocktails and that's it.Bier3gutDined on 2/13/2014Aside from the burger and apps on the menu they had two dinner options, steak or spaghetti.Special Features:
- Disappointed in small menu choicescuriousdinerDined on 2/7/2014Tender had been suggested by a friend since I was interested in seeing what was available in the Lawrenceville Corrider. However I took a friend for her birthday prior to going to the theater. I was disappointed in the small menu and my friend ended up having a cheese burger on her birthday! Atmosphere was very nice though and would be a good choice for happy hour with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.