89, de la Commune Est
Montreal, QC H2Y1J1Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tavernegaspar.com/
- Phone: 5143921649x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: 6:30 am to 10:30 am
Saturday and Sunday: 6:30 am to 11:30
Sunday 5pm to 9:00 pm
Monday to Wednesday: 5pm to 10:00 pm
Thursday to Saturday: 5pm to midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Gérald Barthelemy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Taverne Gaspar offers a private dining room for up to 60 persons, perfect for all your social or corporate events
- Private Party Contact: Candice Cartoux 514-392-1649x113
- Entertainment: Tavern Thursdays
- Live Blues Rock on Wednesday nights
- DJEleven on Thursday nights
- $6 glass of house beer, $8 cocktails, $2 oysters (on late night menu Thursday to Saturday)
A word from Taverne Gaspar
Inspired by Old Montreal's taverns of the past, Taverne Gaspar welcomes its guests in a warm and lively setting, perfect for dinner and a few drinks with friends. The gastro pub cuisine is inspired by classic French and British tavern fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Taverne Gaspar - Best Restaurants in Old Montreal ›
Taverne Gaspar reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (23)great for outdoor dining (21)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (9)romantic (8)great for lunch (7)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Noisy with only fair serviceMichelaDined on 9/19/2014Four of us went to Taverne Gaspar for dinner. Very loud and our waiter never stopped by and asked if we needed anything or how everything was. We had to grab him as he was walking by. The food was fine. I had roast chicken which was more the size of a game hen.Special Features:
- Do you like fresh cod?ArtlovesfishDined on 9/17/2014We had great service and delicious beer battered cod, our friends enjoyed onion soup & salad & Oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vitvenDined on 9/13/2014first time, found food and service great would recommend anytime.Special Features:
- Amazing foodJoannf57Dined on 9/10/2014The ambiance and the food are amazing! Old Montreal is a vibrant part of the Montreal dining scene and this place proofs it again and again, the place is hip, the food is of the Gastro Pub type and historical feel of the place makes it hip. The outdoor terrace is overlooking the old port area and the view is breath taking!Special Features:
- DisappointingsusieqVIPDined on 8/25/2014Scallops were seriously undercooked and mussels were very small. Service was attentive but food took a long time to come.
- Overall decent experience.Mattt30Dined on 8/24/2014My girlfriend an I went there for diner, She had the lobster slider for starter and I tried the onion soup, the lobster clearly wasn't really fresh, not that it tasted bad but, nothing surprising for a 12$ plate with lobster, I'd expect to pay more than if it was fresh. The onion soup was alright, nothing really special about it, then for main course we both had fish and chips, fries we're good, I'm somewhat biased as I do prefer the thing slice cut, so for me they we're pretty good, the fish was slightly overcooked but still good, I did enjoy the taste of the batter, you could tell it was clearly made from a beer base which is good, although it wasn't crispy enough, felt a bit too soft. Overall experience was decent, I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gasparseychellois87appetiteDined on 8/23/2014If you're looking for a cool and unique setting, Gaspar Tavern is the place to be. Foodies will enjoy the menu. For the big eaters, don't order the risotto, although it tastes great, you'll finish it in 4 bites. Great ambiance, a little loud, so don't expect to hear everything the other person said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedTourist55Dined on 8/22/2014The service was great and very friendly and perhaps over attentive. The food was mixed - scallops good but the fish & chips were terrible, the fries were cold and soggy and the batter too thick and floury! Shame, because it could have it could have been so much better.
- DandADined on 8/16/2014We had dinner, late last Saturday, and the food was incredible. Lobster sliders were a great recommendation!! The place was very lively, ambiance was great, service was very personable and attentive. One of the best restaurants in ALL of Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.JulienDined on 8/10/2014Food is fresh and the quality of the service is awesome. Good selection of beers and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taverne GasparAugustoDined on 8/3/2014Fantastic environment the vibe was fresh and hip. Service was incredible. Food was deliriously delicious, however the selection could have Ben a bit more creative. Must try the revolver shooter, very impressive and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky findPickyeater1Dined on 7/26/2014I had German guests to visit the port and watch the fireworks, everywhere was bustling.We hoped to find a place to eat and were lucky to get a table here at the last minute. Fortunately we ate outside inside was very loud and would not have been as nice I think.the food was good and the servers were all very charming. On the whole good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a bar atmosphereDJ13Dined on 7/23/2014Recently dined here with family. There were six of us and we all enjoyed out food. A few of us ordered some of the specialty cocktails and those were also very good. I order the lobster slider, which was more of a mini lobster roll and the half guinea hen. Both were excellent. Everyone raved about their food. The service was very good, our waitress being there when we needed her but never obtrusive. However, this is a tavern. A very stylish one but the decor is hardly elegant and even half full the noise level was high. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Tout simplement divin!....La bouffe, l'ambiance, le service et l'immense bar nous en donne pour notre argent!...Je le recommande a tous!..👍😉🍷🍸😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- standard food - loud surroundingsTNTgal2VIPDined on 7/12/2014We HAVE. to try poutine throughout Quebec, but Taverne G's wasn't great. Curds weren't very fresh, fries barely warm, and the fact that it came lit in about one minute tells me it was sitting under a heat lamp. Salad Niçoise prepared pretty competently, while seared scallops were cooked just right. Nothing we are wowed us - flavors were a bit flat, honestly. Decent selection of local beers. Techno music played very loud with every song sounding alike. The terrace is filled with smokers and nonstop people walking past your table.
- Dance club diningMtlgirlDined on 7/12/2014We arrived around 6:45pm--there was already very loud club (techno) dance music playing. During the course of the evening we asked 5 different staff members to please turn it down a bit. It was extremely unbearable. When we finally spoke to the manager at around 8pm he informed us that this was also a bar--so there wasn't much he could do. Shocked w his reply. We ordered by around7:15pm...received appetizers around 7:45--our main meals only came out around 8:30pm (almost 2 hrs after we first got there(!!) we were also w two small children, which is why we made the early reservation in the first place. No one was asked if they wanted refills, and water was not filled up often enough in this very warm restaurant on a hot summer night.
- Unbelievable expériencedinnerexperienceVIPDined on 7/11/2014De l'accueil jusqu'au départ entre l'apéro et le dessert du début jusqu'à la fin... Ce n'était que du bonheur!! Équipe génial, musique excellente, nourriture succulente, coktails originaux... J'y retournerai avec grand plaisir et le recommanderai à mes amis c'est certain!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and stress-freeMissyDined on 7/5/2014I was there on a busy summer night, with a party of about 15 people. There was massive traffic everywhere, so most of the guests arrived way past the 8:30PM reservation. The staff never commented about it, once everyone was there, we were served a great meal, everybody had a good time.Special Features:
- Worth a visitMrFoodDined on 7/4/2014Party of four (two kids, ages 7 and 9) had a great experience Friday night, we sat inside. Atmosphere is casual and loud. There were lots of people and there was music. The onion soup was perfect pub fare. The seared scallops were worthy of a more upscale establishment. Wife and kids had a couple of burgers which were excellent quality. Good beers on tap. Would go here again and again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMtlfanDined on 6/21/2014The waitress was great. She was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Very attentive service throughout meal without being bothersome. Food was very good and well presented.Special Features:
- Super experience!flyingfinnDined on 6/19/2014We organized our daughters birthday dinner at Taverne Gaspar, it was our first time visit and we were NOT disappointed! Service was friendly and professional and all our special requests were accommodated without hesitation. We even had a complimentary drink offered with company of the waiter! We were party of 6 from teen to adults and all enjoyed our evening. Food was good and not overly complicated; we had risotto, salmon tartar and fish and chips - everybody was happy with their choice. They have a good wine list and staff knows their wines. Be prepared for big price tag at the end, but it is worth it for special occasion or going out with group of friends or co-workers.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014We were sitting on the terrace, there were about 8 of us. The waiter was always around at other tables and flirting with the hostess but would never come see us. We would have been finished our drinks and staring at his waiting for him to take our order and it would take at least 20 minutes for him to come over again. When we all asked for our bills, he printed them up and left to go flirt again with the hostess, ignoring us. We had to go up to him and get his attention for him to let us pay.
- Great timemattfVIPDined on 6/13/2014Really good service, food, ambiance. I will definitely go back. A nice benefit is the valet parking available. Don't bother looking for parking in the area, not worth the headache. 12$ is more than reasonable for the valet service which was professional and friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies eveningsnowbirdDined on 6/13/2014It is a great taverne especially on de la commune, Curious people passing and entering, Food - raw bar (great oysters) , starters beef tartar , fish and chips , ribs (pulled porc smoke) , scallops etc . Host and waiters ********* super & attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Look forward to Montreal DiningCupcakeDined on 6/9/2014Always enjoy coming to Montreal from Toronto for the dining experience. Great ambience. Excellent location. Good service. Ordered scallops with great presentation. Surprised bread is optional and has to be specially requested? White Sangria just okay, more like pop than an enjoyable alcholic drink. Love that the waitresses flip so easily from french and english to accomodate guests. Service was great until we didn't order dessert and it was a challenge to track down the waitress to wrap up our bill. Overall all very enjoyable and would return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as described on Open TableSusieQDined on 6/6/2014This restaurant was nothing as described on Open Table. The restaurant is not open at 11 - the time of our reservation. We expected a terrace and 2 hour service for a lovely lunch. We got reluctant bar service breakfast of eggs etc. very disappointing. Please fix the description not worth the walk!
- Great food great musicFabulousVIPDined on 6/5/2014A fun pub in old town with good food and a great vibe. Love the dj and fun music with a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food bad serviceBrooklyn95Dined on 6/3/2014The restaurant was great and there was a fantastic menu, the house beer was also very good. Not to mention the ambiance was pretty cool, I was a fan of the whole modern take on the old Taverne concept overall one of my preferred restaurants, However all that being said my one criticism of the place is that our server blatantly spent the night hitting on my girlfriend right in front of myself and my friends it made the the night very awkward.Special Features:
- The following 192 reviews are from the Taverne Gaspar reviews archive.
- Wonderful eveningThorhoDined on 6/1/2014We had a large group that started with 15 people and ended up being 26 at the end. The restaurant accommodated us on the fly after our reservations fell through at another restaurant. Everyone was pleased with their food an drink. I had the salmon pave and arugula salad. The fish was cooked perfectly. The vegetables that came with the meal were really good. The staff was pleasant the entire night. Wonderful evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayCarlBergeronDined on 5/24/2014We went 16 for my wife's birthday. We wanted something casual and non-formal. Gaspar was perfect. The food was very good and the service also. People who likes a quiet place to chat should not go there. It is vibrant and full of energy. Thank you. It was a great evening.Special Features:
- Great food, noisy ambienceAnitakDined on 5/23/2014There was a dj and it was very loud. If you want to just eat and talk with friends it is not a good option. However, if you want to have a beer and relax it is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & amazing outdoor diningSteveVIPDined on 5/21/2014I only experienced the outdoor dining, which was on the sidewalk facing the cobblestone street and the water. It was a perfect Spring evening, and that definitely helped. A band was playing inside, and they were pretty loud, so if that's not your thing, mention it in your reservation. The food was fantastic: salmon tartare and lobster roll sliders as a starter, and then mac & cheese and mushroom risotto for the mains. Beer selection was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday at Taverne Gaspar!NuclearlarkDined on 5/19/2014We made a last-minute decision to go to Taverne Gaspar for my fiancé's birthday over the Victoria Day weekend and had a great time. We were a small group (5), and although we were early for our reservation we were able to find a table immediately on the terrasse (most likely because there was a hockey playoff game that night. Our server Mike was great from start to finish - very friendly and food and drink were brought quickly. At first I was somewhat worried, since our group included a vegetarian and a gluten intolerance, however I was happy to see that the menu shown online has since been updated and there were enough choices to accommodate all diets. Tasty food, nice Old Montreal location and fun staff made for a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- sunday dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014Looking for a little restaurant sunday night with friends , the Taverne Gaspar was a nice place to get together and have drink and with a decent choice of food: the oignon soup was good and overall the size of the different meals were pretty generous .The barman was nice and the service in general was excellent. I imagine it's nice to have a drink on the terrasse when the weather is warmer !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing attentivenessKALARTISTDined on 4/24/2014We were a larger group of ten people. We were given amazing service. The attention to detail is perfect. The water glasses were always filled and the waitress was quick to bring an extra fork when one of the diners dropped theirs. We cannot recommend this place highly enough. It's a great place to dine in the Old Port of Montreal. The prices are very reasonable too. Five stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Service impeccable, très bons plats bien présentés, beau décor et bien situé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ribs, friendly servicealanDined on 4/12/2014When they first put the ribs down in front of me, I thought I would never be able to finish them, but they were so good. The staff was super friendly, and I looked forward to them stopping by the table just to chat.
- Great find near the waterfrontDJB73VIPDined on 4/6/2014Food was fantastic. Roxanne was excellent and provided great service to our party of 11. Best fish and chips I've had outside of Cape Cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2014We took some of our new outside sales reps to have a relaxed dinner. Food was good. Service was great...Roxeanne had a great attitude and sense of humor. Lighting isn't the best. We had to use our cell phones' light to read the menu. But overall, even though it was a quiet Monday night, we had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simplement parfait.Sweetheaven7Dined on 3/28/2014De l'accueil au paiement de la facture en passant par les recommandations de Maya, les cocktails délicieux, les plats uniques et succulents sans oublier l'ambiance enveloppante, tout s'est passé merveilleusement bien. Merci à la Taverne Gaspar d'avoir fait de cette soirée un moment mémorable et inoubliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.