89, de la Commune Est
Montreal, QC H2Y1J1Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tavernegaspar.com/
- Phone: (514) 392-1649
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: 6:30 am to 10:30 am
Saturday and Sunday: 6:30 am to 11:30
Sunday 5pm to 9:00 pm
Monday to Wednesday: 5pm to 10:00 pm
Thursday to Saturday: 5pm to midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Gérald Barthelemy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Taverne Gaspar offers a private dining room for up to 60 persons, perfect for all your social or corporate events
- Private Party Contact: Candice Cartoux 514-392-1649x113
- Entertainment: Tavern Thursdays
- Live Blues Rock on Wednesday nights
- DJEleven on Thursday nights
- $6 glass of house beer, $8 cocktails, $2 oysters (on late night menu Thursday to Saturday)
A word from Taverne Gaspar
Inspired by Old Montreal's taverns of the past, Taverne Gaspar welcomes its guests in a warm and lively setting, perfect for dinner and a few drinks with friends. The gastro pub cuisine is inspired by classic French and British tavern fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Taverne Gaspar - Best Restaurants in Old Montreal ›
Taverne Gaspar reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (33)fit for foodies (25)hot spot (23)neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (11)scenic view (9)romantic (8)special occasion (7)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Really niceMtlguyVIPDined on 11/19/2014Had a wonderful dinner everything was really tasty. The service was equally great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale yet unpretentiousEmfishDined on 11/14/2014Taverne Gaspar has all of the good features of a Vieux-Port resto, with almost none of the bad. Like most places in tourist-heavy spots, it's Anglo-friendly, without being pandering. Our server was professional, yet friendly. The ambience hit the perfect note; we were impressed, but didn't feel out of place or unwelcome. The food was excellent, straightforward dishes of high-quality ingredients, perfectly portioned. The spinach and beet salad and scallop risotto were particular standouts, and embodied Gaspar's modus operandi of perfectly executed dishes with no fancy flourishes to compensate for lack of freshness. This was the perfect place for my family (4 adults) to go for a special meal. We were comfortable, well-fed, and walked away feeling very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing!LenaHDined on 11/5/2014I ordered the braised beef poutine and the macaroni and cheese, they were both delicious! The waiter was a sweetheart and gave us amazing service.Special Features:
- Delicious!BirthdaySteakDined on 11/4/2014Nothing better than comfort classics on a cold autumn/winter day. The poutine was delicious, the mac 'n cheese rich and creamy, the brownies decadent. Excellent service from the waiter as well!Special Features:
- Gaspar TavernJeffBDined on 11/4/2014Great place to go at night. Nice ambiance, Amazing service, good choice of scotch and food was delicious and fresh.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencesdiluccioDined on 11/1/2014Went here with my girlfriend during our trip to Montreal. Located in Old Montreal, across the street from the waterfront, this location is perfect after a long day of sightseeing. Very rustic feel and look. I stopped by because I made a reservation for MTL à TABLE a few weeks prior, Montreal's version of restaurant week. The food was very good. I had the poutine for my first course, and mac and cheese for the second course, and both were outstanding. Service was great, and waiter helped answer any question we had. The prices were a little high, but I would definitely consider coming back the next time I am in Montreal because the food, atmosphere, and service are definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Très Belle ambiancePatatomicDined on 10/30/2014Nous sommes sorties entre amis et avons beaucoup aimés notre expérience! Très Belle place! Très Bonnes bières! Et très belle ambiance! Nous y retournerons :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre dining, table for 2luv2eatDined on 10/23/2014An excellent experience overall. We were delayed so called ahead to ask if our table could be held and were accommodated. The restaurant was a bit loud, and conversation was a bit of a challenge. The restaurant has an excellent bar, the food was delicious and our waiter was a gem. We asked for quick service since we had to be at the theatre for 8 - we enjoyed an excellent meal and made it to the theatre with a few minutes to spare.Special Features:
- Great little casual spotEdibleAlchemistVIPDined on 10/12/2014The Charcuterie tray was well done - especially the pate. Also, the onion soup was exceptional - best I've had in Montreal.Special Features:
- Delicious and Fun!PamcDined on 10/6/2014On our recent trip to Montreal my husband and I had our first dinner here and were not disappointed. We got two lobster sliders and the mussels and it was delicious! we were using the mussel shells to make sure we got as much broth as we could we each mussel! and the Lobster sliders were so good I wanted to make mine last and last.Special Features:
- Great food, service!!conniegagsDined on 9/28/2014Honestly, this is an easy restaurant. Easy menu, great food, good ambience and amazing service!! The menu is very accommodating; anyone could find something of interest and there are vast differences between all the offerings. Great location in heart of old port and great service! A great choice for a large gathering of people with various foodie taste! Worth a try, absolutely!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy with only fair serviceMichelaDined on 9/19/2014Four of us went to Taverne Gaspar for dinner. Very loud and our waiter never stopped by and asked if we needed anything or how everything was. We had to grab him as he was walking by. The food was fine. I had roast chicken which was more the size of a game hen.Special Features:
- Do you like fresh cod?ArtlovesfishVIPDined on 9/17/2014We had great service and delicious beer battered cod, our friends enjoyed onion soup & salad & Oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vitvenDined on 9/13/2014first time, found food and service great would recommend anytime.Special Features:
- Amazing foodJoannf57Dined on 9/10/2014The ambiance and the food are amazing! Old Montreal is a vibrant part of the Montreal dining scene and this place proofs it again and again, the place is hip, the food is of the Gastro Pub type and historical feel of the place makes it hip. The outdoor terrace is overlooking the old port area and the view is breath taking!Special Features:
- DisappointingsusieqVIPDined on 8/25/2014Scallops were seriously undercooked and mussels were very small. Service was attentive but food took a long time to come.
- Overall decent experience.Mattt30Dined on 8/24/2014My girlfriend an I went there for diner, She had the lobster slider for starter and I tried the onion soup, the lobster clearly wasn't really fresh, not that it tasted bad but, nothing surprising for a 12$ plate with lobster, I'd expect to pay more than if it was fresh. The onion soup was alright, nothing really special about it, then for main course we both had fish and chips, fries we're good, I'm somewhat biased as I do prefer the thing slice cut, so for me they we're pretty good, the fish was slightly overcooked but still good, I did enjoy the taste of the batter, you could tell it was clearly made from a beer base which is good, although it wasn't crispy enough, felt a bit too soft. Overall experience was decent, I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gasparseychellois87appetiteDined on 8/23/2014If you're looking for a cool and unique setting, Gaspar Tavern is the place to be. Foodies will enjoy the menu. For the big eaters, don't order the risotto, although it tastes great, you'll finish it in 4 bites. Great ambiance, a little loud, so don't expect to hear everything the other person said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedTourist55Dined on 8/22/2014The service was great and very friendly and perhaps over attentive. The food was mixed - scallops good but the fish & chips were terrible, the fries were cold and soggy and the batter too thick and floury! Shame, because it could have it could have been so much better.
- DandADined on 8/16/2014We had dinner, late last Saturday, and the food was incredible. Lobster sliders were a great recommendation!! The place was very lively, ambiance was great, service was very personable and attentive. One of the best restaurants in ALL of Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.JulienDined on 8/10/2014Food is fresh and the quality of the service is awesome. Good selection of beers and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taverne GasparAugustoDined on 8/3/2014Fantastic environment the vibe was fresh and hip. Service was incredible. Food was deliriously delicious, however the selection could have Ben a bit more creative. Must try the revolver shooter, very impressive and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 209 reviews are from the Taverne Gaspar reviews archive.
- Lucky findPickyeater1Dined on 7/26/2014I had German guests to visit the port and watch the fireworks, everywhere was bustling.We hoped to find a place to eat and were lucky to get a table here at the last minute. Fortunately we ate outside inside was very loud and would not have been as nice I think.the food was good and the servers were all very charming. On the whole good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a bar atmosphereDJ13Dined on 7/23/2014Recently dined here with family. There were six of us and we all enjoyed out food. A few of us ordered some of the specialty cocktails and those were also very good. I order the lobster slider, which was more of a mini lobster roll and the half guinea hen. Both were excellent. Everyone raved about their food. The service was very good, our waitress being there when we needed her but never obtrusive. However, this is a tavern. A very stylish one but the decor is hardly elegant and even half full the noise level was high. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Tout simplement divin!....La bouffe, l'ambiance, le service et l'immense bar nous en donne pour notre argent!...Je le recommande a tous!..👍😉🍷🍸😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- standard food - loud surroundingsTNTgal2VIPDined on 7/12/2014We HAVE. to try poutine throughout Quebec, but Taverne G's wasn't great. Curds weren't very fresh, fries barely warm, and the fact that it came lit in about one minute tells me it was sitting under a heat lamp. Salad Niçoise prepared pretty competently, while seared scallops were cooked just right. Nothing we are wowed us - flavors were a bit flat, honestly. Decent selection of local beers. Techno music played very loud with every song sounding alike. The terrace is filled with smokers and nonstop people walking past your table.
- Dance club diningMtlgirlDined on 7/12/2014We arrived around 6:45pm--there was already very loud club (techno) dance music playing. During the course of the evening we asked 5 different staff members to please turn it down a bit. It was extremely unbearable. When we finally spoke to the manager at around 8pm he informed us that this was also a bar--so there wasn't much he could do. Shocked w his reply. We ordered by around7:15pm...received appetizers around 7:45--our main meals only came out around 8:30pm (almost 2 hrs after we first got there(!!) we were also w two small children, which is why we made the early reservation in the first place. No one was asked if they wanted refills, and water was not filled up often enough in this very warm restaurant on a hot summer night.
- Unbelievable expériencedinnerexperienceVIPDined on 7/11/2014De l'accueil jusqu'au départ entre l'apéro et le dessert du début jusqu'à la fin... Ce n'était que du bonheur!! Équipe génial, musique excellente, nourriture succulente, coktails originaux... J'y retournerai avec grand plaisir et le recommanderai à mes amis c'est certain!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and stress-freeMissyDined on 7/5/2014I was there on a busy summer night, with a party of about 15 people. There was massive traffic everywhere, so most of the guests arrived way past the 8:30PM reservation. The staff never commented about it, once everyone was there, we were served a great meal, everybody had a good time.Special Features:
- Worth a visitMrFoodDined on 7/4/2014Party of four (two kids, ages 7 and 9) had a great experience Friday night, we sat inside. Atmosphere is casual and loud. There were lots of people and there was music. The onion soup was perfect pub fare. The seared scallops were worthy of a more upscale establishment. Wife and kids had a couple of burgers which were excellent quality. Good beers on tap. Would go here again and again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMtlfanDined on 6/21/2014The waitress was great. She was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Very attentive service throughout meal without being bothersome. Food was very good and well presented.Special Features:
- Super experience!flyingfinnDined on 6/19/2014We organized our daughters birthday dinner at Taverne Gaspar, it was our first time visit and we were NOT disappointed! Service was friendly and professional and all our special requests were accommodated without hesitation. We even had a complimentary drink offered with company of the waiter! We were party of 6 from teen to adults and all enjoyed our evening. Food was good and not overly complicated; we had risotto, salmon tartar and fish and chips - everybody was happy with their choice. They have a good wine list and staff knows their wines. Be prepared for big price tag at the end, but it is worth it for special occasion or going out with group of friends or co-workers.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014We were sitting on the terrace, there were about 8 of us. The waiter was always around at other tables and flirting with the hostess but would never come see us. We would have been finished our drinks and staring at his waiting for him to take our order and it would take at least 20 minutes for him to come over again. When we all asked for our bills, he printed them up and left to go flirt again with the hostess, ignoring us. We had to go up to him and get his attention for him to let us pay.
- Great timemattfVIPDined on 6/13/2014Really good service, food, ambiance. I will definitely go back. A nice benefit is the valet parking available. Don't bother looking for parking in the area, not worth the headache. 12$ is more than reasonable for the valet service which was professional and friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies eveningsnowbirdDined on 6/13/2014It is a great taverne especially on de la commune, Curious people passing and entering, Food - raw bar (great oysters) , starters beef tartar , fish and chips , ribs (pulled porc smoke) , scallops etc . Host and waiters ********* super & attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Look forward to Montreal DiningCupcakeDined on 6/9/2014Always enjoy coming to Montreal from Toronto for the dining experience. Great ambience. Excellent location. Good service. Ordered scallops with great presentation. Surprised bread is optional and has to be specially requested? White Sangria just okay, more like pop than an enjoyable alcholic drink. Love that the waitresses flip so easily from french and english to accomodate guests. Service was great until we didn't order dessert and it was a challenge to track down the waitress to wrap up our bill. Overall all very enjoyable and would return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as described on Open TableSusieQDined on 6/6/2014This restaurant was nothing as described on Open Table. The restaurant is not open at 11 - the time of our reservation. We expected a terrace and 2 hour service for a lovely lunch. We got reluctant bar service breakfast of eggs etc. very disappointing. Please fix the description not worth the walk!
- Great food great musicFabulousVIPDined on 6/5/2014A fun pub in old town with good food and a great vibe. Love the dj and fun music with a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food bad serviceBrooklyn95Dined on 6/3/2014The restaurant was great and there was a fantastic menu, the house beer was also very good. Not to mention the ambiance was pretty cool, I was a fan of the whole modern take on the old Taverne concept overall one of my preferred restaurants, However all that being said my one criticism of the place is that our server blatantly spent the night hitting on my girlfriend right in front of myself and my friends it made the the night very awkward.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningThorhoDined on 6/1/2014We had a large group that started with 15 people and ended up being 26 at the end. The restaurant accommodated us on the fly after our reservations fell through at another restaurant. Everyone was pleased with their food an drink. I had the salmon pave and arugula salad. The fish was cooked perfectly. The vegetables that came with the meal were really good. The staff was pleasant the entire night. Wonderful evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.