2999 Salinas Hwy
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tarpys.com/
- Phone: 8316471444x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH~ Daily from 11:30
DINNER~Daily from 4:00
SUNDAY BRUNCH~ 11:30-3:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Kimmel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
As a Full Service Caterer we can handle the details of your event, including finding a location, contracting with florists, bakeries, photography & video experts, musicians and lodging. Think of us as your own personal concierge! We will help you create an event that will be remembered favorably and you will totally enjoy!
- Private Party Facilities: Tarpy’s Roadhouse offers a full-service banquet department. There are 3 private rooms as well as 3 semi-private rooms to choose from when planning your special event or function. Some rooms are subject to a room fee. We also have available the latest Multi-Media tools to add polish to your event.
- Private Party Contact: Corinne 8316552999x
A word from Tarpy's Roadhouse
Relax in this 1917 Roadhouse and enjoy creative, Five Star American Country Cuisine. The wood-burning grill provides wonderful flavors for wild game, the freshest seafood and prime steaks. Set on five landscaped acres, the patios and extensive gardens provide a refreshing backdrop for hearty sandwiches, vegetarian entrees and tempting salads. This restaurant in Monterey has seven private and semi-private rooms available for banquets, meetings and celebrations. The full bar, award-winning wine list and knowledgeable professional service ensure a terrific dining experience. Reservations are recommended. Tarpy's also offers affordable full-service, off-site catering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Tarpy's Roadhouse - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Tarpy's Roadhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (97)fit for foodies (79)special occasion (75)great for lunch (65)good for groups (63)romantic (52)neighborhood gem (37)notable wine list (34)great for brunch (31)kid-friendly (27)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (7)late-night find (7)Show More
- Special Late LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Late lunch with an old bottle of Ridge Monte Bello. Our server trotted out a decanter, we ordered a bottle of Morgan Sauvignon Blanc to go with the oysters and calamari and the afternoon became one smooth ride of good food and good wine. Delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Sunday brunch placeJoeBDined on 9/28/2014wonderful place with great food and great service, Chef Todd Fisher recently joined the staff from Pebble Beach's Sticks restaurant and added great items to the menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Food, service, ambiance was fantastic. Best vanilla bean creme brûlée we've had. Server and chef went above and beyond to deal with my food allergy and this was the best meal I've had since we were in Europe a few years ago. We will be back when in the area again.Special Features:
- No longer my favorite placeMavenDined on 9/27/2014Service slow and inconsistent. Impossible to get anyone's attention if something was needed at the table. Food was unremarkable. I think the Heirloom tomatoes had been refrigerated, a big no-no, as they were tasteless and cold. The calamari was oily and under cooked. After years of impeccable service and delicious food this is very disappointing. If this were the first or only time we have been disappointed here I would say, " Maybe they were having a bad day". However, this is the third time it has happened in our last five visits so I think something has changed and not for the better.
- A Neighborhood GemFinkDined on 9/21/2014We went down for my 55th birthday and for a nice romantic weekend. Had no ideal for dinner and was told about Tarpy's Roadhouse from the front desk. Was thinking Roadhouse it will be just OK food and service. Boy we were we wrong. The food was just outstanding. I had the duck and my wife had the swordfish and both dishes were perfect. They had a very nice wine list and we had the apple tart for dessert. The service was very good she could have been a bit more friendly. We sat outside and the lights in the trees made you feel like you were in the forest. We be back the next time be are back in the Monterey Carmel area.Special Features:
- MenuSteveDined on 9/19/2014I guess a new chef, a change in the menu, some items which have been favorites for alot of years off the menu, raw oysters served without any hot sauce or horse radish Not the same but hope it will get back its mojo Will try agin to seeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food!CentralCoastDiningDined on 9/15/2014The new items on the menu are tempting! I loved the kale, yum, and the shrimp and grits, extra yum. We tried the grits and cream - OMG - delicious - and the special heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad too. So good. The drinks were very, very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotMaryVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great service Noisy and very popular Great specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sophisticated "Roadhouse"ROBOTMEISTERVIPDined on 9/11/2014Somewhat difficult to find at night, just past the Monterey Airport on HWY 68, look carefully and you'll see the Tarpy's Roadhouse sign. This is a large and beautiful building in and out. The reviews I saw were moderate but we found the food & service first rate! My roasted Berkshire pork chop was perfectly cooked and my wife's Sirloin steak (normally a tougher cut )was tender with a perfect hot pink center.Special Features:
- milkmanVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great food and service. Sat outside in a quiet hallway for a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REALLY ???5StardinerDined on 9/6/2014We each ordered full entrees. Waitress suggested the Special Heirloom Tomato Salad-I said yes I'll have one-hubby says no thanks. Waitress says 'oh I can split it so you can taste -its delicious' - we say fine. The bill comes and Waitress has charged our bill with a split charge of $2. on to the $14.00 Special Heirloom Tomato Salad. REALLY ?????Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Tarpys, nuff said! :)OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014Tarpys never disappoints, they always deliver a perfect dining experience. One of my top 10 fave area restaurants. Wendy is the best server!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!FoodlvrDined on 9/6/2014Food was amazing, service was great, we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- know your hostessOldFashionedDined on 9/4/2014First the parking is limited. I am handicapped and walk with a cane (I noted that in my reservation) when we arrived two women pushed ahead of us and the hostess even after seeing me leaning did not ask if anyone had reservations- when she came back from seating those two she took two other who "had been waiting". So why make a reservation? Does the hostess think a cane is decor? Food was good service to table was great and the rhubarb apple pie great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- running lateeatingoutDined on 8/31/2014We were running late because of traffic, and they accommodated us and got us to the wedding on time, without veering from great service and a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseSirLoinofBeefDined on 8/30/2014I never expected a "roadhouse" to be so special. Great outdoor dining and excellent food with a roadhouse cajun feel. Off the beaten path of Monterey but well worth the 10 minute drive. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family night outBrendaDined on 8/30/2014We were a party of 16 for a 75 th birthday party. First part of the evening service was excellent. As the night went on we must of lost the staff. Too long to get dessert and to get the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Sunday BrunchEJElDoradoHillsDined on 8/30/2014Loved the Lobster Eggs Benedict I had Labor Day weekend. Really different but outstanding!Special Features:
- Son's BirthdayBRexDined on 8/29/2014Ttoughout the years Tarpys has proven to consistant in great food, service and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceSalesmanDined on 8/28/2014The service and staff were really nice. The wine was excellent and 3 out of 4 or our meals were great. Unfortunately, one of our guests ordered the duck, and it was terrible. This was disappointing b/c we have had the duck before and it was just fine. Very disappointed with this. When the meal was replaced with the halibet it was better, but again, a portion of the fish was slightly burned. The other 3 meals were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner OutahchicoDined on 8/23/2014Food was great, service even better, and getting a table for 6 was easy on a Saturday night! Kids meals were huge! Well worth their $7Special Features:
- Definitely kicked up a notchFoodiewifeDined on 8/23/2014Hearing that Todd Fisher is now the Executive Chef, we wanted to check out his revised menu. I thought that the menu was creative, with something for everyone. I ordered the Maple Brined pork chop which was char grilled to perfection, and I loved the corn "grits" and liked the roasted cauliflower. My husband ordered the "last" Halibut, but he swore it looked just like the Mahi Mahi special he saw other diners order. I have to say his dinner plate didn't look very stellar-- the veggies in particular looked like diner vegetables. He had food envy over mine. We each ordered a beer and the total tab was $80.00 for two, with 20% tip-- out waiter was professional & food delivery was fast. everything is ala carte, so it's a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Not quite what I expected...dagmar311Dined on 8/23/2014I have used Tarpy's numerous times as one of my special occassion places over the years. This experience was surprising. The menu has changed significantly, which was a dissappointment. The food we did order was good and pleasantly presented. We had brought over a couple bottles of wine from Ventana tasting room next door (no corkage if you do that) and we had to ask for an ice bucket to keep the white wine cold. Our server (I don't know the name because he never introduced himself) clearly didn't want to be there. Bad attitude when he wasn't ingoring us completely. The manager tried to save the day with a free round of drinks and apologies, but the damage was done. Get the service back up to standards! It's what made this place special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrMikeVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was fabulous. service was unlike previous experiences there. The waiter was very interested in the two blonds next to us and seemed to care little about the other patrons. Had to repeatedly ask for water and he got my order wrong. Very disappointing service.Special Features:
- M from MontereymontereylocalDined on 8/22/2014A great place with delicious food, outstanding wine list and interesting cocktails. Lovely grounds, you won't even miss an ocean view here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tarpy's Used to be my FavoritenomnomnomDined on 8/16/2014Tarpy's used to be my favorite restaurant on the Monterey Peninsula. I go there every time I'm in town. We went this weekend and the food has dramatically dropped off. We spoke to a friend that had the same experience a few days before. I believe they are under new ownership and have a new chef. The food was bland and uninspired. Even the most basic dishes like the fried calamari that used to be so good has changed from tentacles and rings to cut up calamari steaks. I'm so sad. Where will I go now? I hope the same thing hasn't happened to The Rio Grill.Special Features:
- Great service during a very busy ntDuhutchieDined on 8/16/2014Chris our waiter performed very very well. Continually checking on us and managing our orders the best he could. Food was great. Recommended desserts were fantastic. See u next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual favoriteCargirlDined on 8/16/2014We have been coming to Tarpy's for years after the Laguna Seca races. Great food and good service as always.Special Features:
- Excellent service, food and drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Perfect dining experience...our waiter remembered me from dining there before. He didn't rush us and was there when we needed him....what a great waiter!Special Features:
- poor service mediocre foodtimetodineVIPDined on 8/15/2014This place is in a beautiful stone building, but the accolades end there. The food is over salted. My reaction to the food--a bad headache and tongue swelling suggests that there is MSG in use in the kitchen. The service was terrible when I brought my husband here for a special birthday celebration. The event was noted in the reservation and completely ignored. We had a small terrible stuck on a corner of a walkway so we had constant traffic. Our drinks came during the entrees, the salad was never served, the salty sauce that is put on one of the dishes was requested to be served on the side--it was not on the side but drenched the meat. My mention of this to the hostess got a "sorry."
- Tarpy's Rocks!!cupcake17Dined on 8/15/2014Totally awesome restaurant. Highly recommend to anyone looking for great food and spectacular service. We have been going to Tarpy's for nearly 30 years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Consistently good foodOccasionalDinerDined on 8/14/2014Tarpy's Roadhouse is consistently good. The wait staff is attentive but not intrusive. The menu is varied but limited. They know what they do well, and don't pretend otherwise. This was a particularly busy evening due to the influx of Concours d'elegance attendees. The restaurant handled it well. The only glitch in service was the fact that the main course plates arrived too early; we had only received our salads a few minutes prior. Since we were easy, we just moved salads to the side, and worked on both at the same time. It was a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappoint!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014I used to live in Monterey and made the reservation based on Tarpy's from many years ago! It didn't disappoint - in fact, it was better than I remembered! I had friends that had never been to MOnterey and wanted a really good experience - they loved Tarpy's and thought is was great!Special Features:
- Consistently excellentMikeTVIPDined on 8/12/2014You can rely on Tarry ' for charming ambiance and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!RebelfemmeDined on 8/10/2014We happened upon this place several years ago while on vacation. We remembered our dining experience so fondly that we went out of our way to make sure we could dine there this year while we were vacationing in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014The restaurant looks good, has good service, good food and easy to get to and good parking. Jivio !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tarpy's masters a difficult taskCarmelMontereyloverDined on 8/2/2014Restaraunts that have had some longevity face a difficult task when they have been around long enough to be considered a "classic". How much does a restaraunt honor its' most popular dishes while at the same time changes enough to not only be relevant, but ahead of the curve. Tarpys Roadhouse, which I have been going to for 20 years does this pretty well. It is set in a beautiful location, with one of the most welcoming and beautiful outdoor dining patios in the Monterey area. It has a couple of private dining rooms, and the surrounding grounds have been used for weddings. The service is consistently attentive, and you can bring your pooch too if you dine outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodRicemanDined on 8/1/2014The food was delicious. It's not quiet but definitely not loud there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jonbehr@charter.netJonbehrDined on 7/27/2014Great site,very charming building and grounds.friendly and professional staff.food was excellent.all around a great dining experience.looking forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for foodies at any priceJason7fromScotchPlainsVIPDined on 7/24/2014Outstanding diverse menu. A must if you are in the Monterey. Thankfully nowhere near Fisherman's Wharf or Cannery Row.Special Features: