Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen
1526 Walnut St.
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Downtown / River Market
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tanninwinebar.com/
- Phone: 8168422660
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 1:30am, Saturday: 4:00 pm - 1:30 am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Aaron
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Let us help plan your event in one of several areas of the restaurant perfect for entertaining guests. Whether planning a corporate event, holiday party, special occasion or anything in between, each event space is ideal for hosting sit down lunches and dinners, cocktail parties or wine tastings. We appreciate your consideration and look forward to providing an unforgettable experience for you and your guests. Contact Laura Moore, Event Coordinator, with additional questions and availability. email@example.com | 816.842.2660
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a unique and urban location to host your next event? Tannin Wine Bar & Kitchen has several areas to reserve for your next party!
- Private Party Contact: Laura Moore 8168422660
- Special Events: Tannin Wine Bar & Kitchen hosts monthly wine tastings and other special events throughout the year. View their website www.tanninwinebar.com for updates. Interested in becoming a member of one of the 6 Tannin Wine Clubs? In addition to the wine locker, you receive one bottle of wine per month, free admission to monthly wine tastings and discounts when you dine at the restaurant. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen
Tannin Wine Bar & Kitchen is your local, urban destination located in the Crossroads Art District and now 2 blocks away from the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. Enjoy a glass of wine from the "well researched and extensive" wine list. We offer wines by the taste, glass or bottle, to satisfy everyone’s palate. Don’t forget to savor the seasonal, contemporary American cuisine prepared by Executive Chef, Brian Aaron. The lunch and dinner menu includes cheese plates, small bites and entrees. The kitchen is open until midnight Monday - Saturday. Let us help plan your next event in one of our unique areas of the rsstaurant perfect for entertaining guests. Whether planning a corporate event, holiday party, special occassion or anything in between, each area is ideal for entertaining and can accommodate 8 - 150 guests. Visit our website for information about upcoming events including happy hour specials and wine events. We look forward to seeing you soon. Cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown / River Market ›
Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (69)fit for foodies (56)romantic (39)special occasion (38)neighborhood gem (36)great for outdoor dining (29)good for groups (19)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (17)great for lunch (13)hot spot (12)great for brunch (6)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- An Amazing PlaceTommyizzleDined on 9/14/2014This was our first trip to Tanin, and we could not have had a better experience! The wine selection was fantastic and the somlei was very nice, checking on us regularly through the meal. The food was well above and beyond what I expected from a wine bar! Every course was expertly crafted and beautifully plated with amazing flavor. I cannot wait for our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetanninDined on 9/12/2014Four of us dined at Tannin Friday night September 12. We had a reservation but when we arrived all the booths were filled. However, the staff graciously moved us to one when it opened up and we were grateful because the low back chairs were not great for people with bad backs. We enjoyed the tasting menu of four courses which was very reasonably priced for the excellent quality of the food. We only had one glitch with a cookie that had been left in the oven a few seconds too long. It was quickly replaced when we pointed it out to our server. Our wine was excellent. Altogether a delightful evening! We will be back!Special Features:
- Tannin Wine Bar: a True FindKCdinerDined on 9/8/2014Tannin Wine Bar is our new favorite downtown restaurant. With an excellent wine list and wonderful locally sourced food it is highly recommended for it's accessible wine list and seasonal food. Monday nights with its buy-one/get-one special on bottles of wine (sub-$90 bottles) affords diners a chance to go outside their comfort zone and try different varieties and regions. The small plates menu is excellent and very reasonably priced--especially considering portions and quality. Our party of four enjoyed our visit very much and expect that Tannins will become a regular dining venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleaseddjs2005Dined on 9/6/2014Wonderful food and a great wine selection! Service was very good.Special Features:
- Kansas CityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Great food and a good selection of wine. First time in Kansas City and it was recommended for good food and great wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inventive food with great wineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Tannin always piques my palate with new food offerings paired beautifully with a knowledgable wine list. The staff is great at suggesting the perfect wine to go with your meal. Half price wine by the glass at lunch is nice too!Special Features:
- Excellent!HeatherFDined on 9/3/2014Only reason we went to Tannin was because I had a coupon. Wow were we blown away by the quality of the wine, the food, and the service. Great place that we will visit again soon! Check out their Happy Hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place poor servicefoodie85Dined on 8/29/2014I went for my 29th birthday I was very excited after reading the reviews. I had reservations and still waited 25 minutes to be seated. The food was ok at best if I return it will be just for the wine.Special Features:
- Outstanding AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Tannin Wine Bar - good food and great atmosphere nestled in the heart of downtown just off the "beaten path". It's cozy and sophisticated at the same time.Special Features:
- New Favorite PlaceSadiesPalDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Tannin Wine Bar and Kitchen twice in the last three months and I can say this is now my favorite restaurant in Kansas City and maybe my favorite anywhere. I have done the four course meal with wine pairings both times and they do a great job matching the wine with the course. The man that describes the wine and provides a history (I believe his name is Barry) makes a great meal even more enjoyable. This will be my spot for the foreseeable future for special events. Already planning on celebrating my daughter's 21st birthday here in a couple of months. The staff knocks it out of the park in every facet.Special Features:
- Great Place.SteakLoverVIPDined on 8/14/2014We took friends to Tannin for dinner before a show, and they enjoyed it auch as we always do. Great food, wine and service always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venue before a concertOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/14/2014Just a few blocks from Sprint Center, this is a great place for before the event. Extensive wine select and great appetizers. We always make a meal off the mix and match appitiezer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendKendalVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great wines from all over the world. Service was a little spotty, but I think they were short on staff the night we dined. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, wine, and ambiance!swfoodieDined on 8/14/2014What a gem! We were delighted to find Tannin when searching for a pre-concert restaurant within walking distance Sprint Center. We did not want the Power & Light District because of the pre-concert chaos. Tannin has wonderful ambiance -- warm dark wood, contemporary décor, and sidewalk tables for nice nights. The service was great. Wine list is awesome, with many wines available by the glass. The food was delectable -- we each had the 4 course tasting menu. We enjoyed it so much we came back after the concert for another glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Venue 4 Pre and Post ConcertJillyDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I met friends at Tannin prior to a concert. We ordered a luscious wine off their by the glass listing. Loved it- was happy to see that we could also order by the bottle, which we did. Says a lot for a wine list that the by the glass is better than most offerings by the bottle at other establishments. We followed that with a trio of appetizers, then a light dinner- Wonderful. It was almost disappointing that we had someplace else to go, could've stayed longer. In fact, we did go back for a glass after the concert, sat outside and enjoyed another ambient experience at this venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/service could be betterOsuwyoVIPDined on 8/10/2014Food was excellent as usual, service could be prompterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WayneVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great find - believe the prior POSITIVE reviews as they are spot on! Wonderful experience with delicious foods complimented by interesting wines served by knowledgeable staff. We will absolutely return - even tho we reside in CA!! Locals - you should flood this venue!!! You are missing a terrific evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!CaseyDined on 8/2/2014Went there before jazz at the Green Lady Lounge (try it!), and had appetizers and sampled some wine. It was a very relaxing evening due in great par to our outstanding service. We will be back!Special Features:
- Lovely dinner to start the weeksurfjimboDined on 7/28/2014Two couples enjoyed a lovely outdoor dinner at Tannin on a recent Monday night. The restaurant is in an urban neighborhood, with the sidewalk tables providing interesting "people watching". Menu is not expansive, but does offer interesting choices in both small plates and entrees. There were several specials of the night. Service is friendly and knowledgable; though perhaps "hovering" a bit more than necessary. Wine list by the bottle is expansive! On the night we were there, all bottles $50 and under were buy 1, get one free. We will return!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerCindiSDined on 7/25/2014All the food was delicious, and the wine recommendations from our waiter were spot on. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 7/25/2014We ate here on a Friday night. It was a little early and kind of quiet but nice. We like to come here for the selection of wines by the glass so we can sample some. We started with the cheese plate which always has great accompaniments. My companion had the spinach salad and the small plate of pulled pork with corn fritters. I had the trout. Both were very good. He had the cookie dessert which he loves and i had the rum cake french toast. So good. Parking was easy this night, but can be challenging sometimes. Service was good. We enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Trifecta!JonHDined on 7/19/2014This was our third visit to Tannin. All 3 have been top-notch. The food, the wine, the service, the atmosphere have been perfect every time. This visit, my date and I both ordered off the tasting menu and let manager pair wines with each course. Highly recommended! The food was delicious, the wines perfect! The service was spot-on. Never intrusive, never neglectful. The ambiance is great for a date, a special occasion, or just a lovely night out. The decor is modern, warm and inviting. There's always a nice energy at Tannin. Never loud or boisterous, just this nice vibe of people having a cozy, comfy good time. We will definitely make Tannin a four-peat!Special Features:
- Couples night outLovefood1Dined on 7/19/2014Had a great time with other couples here! I would recommend getting the wine pairings with your food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disapppintingDined on 7/18/2014We hade made reservations 2 weeks before we were going to be in town. I requested an outdoor table, I called 2 days before our reservation to confirm and again request an outdoor table and was told that it would be a 90 minute wait if we wanted to sit outside???? The entire inside of the restaurant was open. What good did it do to reserve a table? If they did not reserve outdoor tables, I wish they would have let us know and we would have went elsewhere. The server was very snotty and not at all attentive, I think he came to our table twice during the meal, the lady who poured our wine from the bottle we opened spilled it all over the table and chair of my guest and didnt clean it up.Special Features:
- Good before a show at Sprint CenteranneVIPDined on 7/16/2014Our waitress did a nice job helping us get out in 75min for an 8pm concert. Food was average. Wine was very tasty!Special Features:
- Always GoodFromLeawoodVIPDined on 7/16/2014We have been to Tannin 4 or 5 times now, usually before a concert at the Sprint Center, and it is always good. Good fresh food and nightly specials. Extensive wine by the glass. Sommelier very knowlegable and easy to talk to. Fish is fresh and variety of the menu is good for all in party. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we wantedRyanVIPDined on 7/11/2014My girlfriend and I were looking for something nice for the evening after a busy week. We tried their tasting menu and had great service from our waitress. I recommend the wine pairings to go with the fantastic meal. Their manager/sommelier picked wines for both our dishes and had perfect choices. He had the story for each bottle and why it should be paired with the dish. Since we had so many favorites, he even printed a custom menu with our menu choices and wines along side. We will be back for both the food and the wine!Special Features:
- TanninMJwineloverDined on 7/11/2014Visited for early light dinner and wine before a concert. Enjoyed the atmosphere, were impressed by the wine list, and the food was great. Had cheese plate and starters. Our server was friendly and attentive. The only criticism is the server did not have good knowledge of the wines, even the Riesling specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was fantastickcfoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014We really enjoyed the evening here - 3 couples, nice patio, everything that we ate was delicious. Most impressive was the service... very attentive but not intrusive, our waiter even called the concert venue we were headed to when it was looking like rain.Special Features:
- Great experience once again!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/4/2014As always, Brian, Barry and team provided my wife and I an outstanding anniversary dinner to remember. Great steak, great chicken. The grilled asparagus salad was very good very fresh and anf full of flavor. Brian and team made a special desert making the evening that much more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner for 2chipDined on 6/25/2014First time here for us. We each had a glass of wine with dinner. Server was knowledgeable about the wine list. Starter was asparagras salad. Dinners were the duck and the trout. Food was very , very good. Service was above aversge Price was what you would expect for that level of quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice impression for my first time!DimplesDined on 6/21/2014The food was great and waiter was very knowledgeable about the list of wine on the menu also he showed us different wine tasting techniques.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!SteakLoverVIPDined on 6/21/2014Tannin Wine Bar is a terrific place with great food and wine. Always a top choice when going to an event in the downtown/P&L area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2014Service was wonderful and I loved the tasting size portions for wine list. I got to try 3 different wines, rather than 1 glass I may or may not love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2014We had a great time with our cousins...good food, great wine pairings! I could have eaten the local sausage of the day all night. It was a beautiful evening outside. We've been there several times and will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- I love this place!ShinyHappyDinerDined on 6/13/2014I came last summer for the first time on a visit to see family in KC. So I came back again this weekend with a group of girlfriends. I live in NYC so I'm used to great food and wine. This place felt like Manhattan to me. Friendly, confident, and knowledgeable service. Food choices are excellent and interesting for drinks or dinner. Warm atmosphere. Sophisticated without pretention. And completely reasonable prices. Have told all my KC friends and family to go!Special Features:
- BetsyVIPDined on 6/11/2014It was a show night at Kauffman so they should have anticipated a larger crowd. Our food took over 30 minutes and was inconsistent. Disappointing meal.
- Great food, wines and service!BrickHouseDined on 6/7/2014I tried several wines, and the server was knowledgable to help select my choices. Very friendly staff. The food looked and tasted amazing. I will go to Tannin many more times. Will be my main place for great wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent SpotMeeechelleDined on 6/6/2014I had a nice time at Tannin Wine Bar, but that was mainly due to the friends I was with while I was there. The waiter seemed kind of standoffish, there were not many choices in terms of food, and what was available seemed kind of redundant. Ended up spending more than I thought the food was worth.Special Features:
- Great wine spotTonyDined on 6/5/2014I really like this place. The waiter was very nice and knowledgeable about wines, not stuck up and snobby like many other wine places. We did not have any food. You need to try this place.