14555 Symons Valley Road NW
Calgary, AB T3R 1J1Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.symonsroadhouse.com/
- Phone: 5872964986x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Closed
Tuesday - Closed
Wednesday - 11:00am
Thursday - 11:00am
Friday - 11:00am
Saturday - 10:00am
Sunday - 10:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Kevin Turner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Symons Roadhouse
Located at Symons Valley Ranch Farmers Market. Chef Kevin Turner serving farm to table, southern BBQ and stick to your ribs comfort food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Symons Roadhouse - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Symons Roadhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)good for groups (47)fit for foodies (45)kid-friendly (40)great for outdoor dining (36)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (27)special occasion (26)hot spot (9)romantic (8)notable wine list (5)scenic view (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- DisappointingjwycVIPDined on 9/27/2014I was excited to try Symons Roadhouse and brought an out of town guests with me. Upon walking in, we waited as servers walked past us several times as we waited to be acknowledged to be seated at our reservation. Once seated, the menu looked appetizing. However expect a long wait minimum. Once food arrived, an order was incorrect, however after the long wait, we didn't want to send it back. Portion sizes and quality is not what you get here. Restaurant was busy but staff seemed very irritated and unfriendly to assist as well they had a staff member from the kitchen serving food. It could have been just the day or a restaurant suffering from staff shortage. But overall a negative first impression.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We went for brunch and the market. Both of us had the eggs benny and neither of us had and specific concerns. Nice dark,rich egg yolks in the poached eggs, which I really like. The coffee was excellent, unfortunately they didn't have/make decaf. Would definitely go back, as it made for a nice outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014The pork dish was a bit different and delicious, only complaint id vould have enjoyed a bit more of the yummy cabbage and sauerkraut. The server was solicitous and personalable without being annoying. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedMooserDined on 9/20/2014Very disappointing given the price point of the food. My ribeye was tough and was actually pan fried. I was very surprised when I asked the server about that, I don't mind paying a higher price for good steaks but I've been to hunting cabins where the food was way better than this. My wife's tenderloin was only ok. Given that they sell themselves as a BBQ place it looks like the only thing they bbq is the pork shoulder. The waiter was lost, had zero clue about the menu and gave me the wrong wine. Too pricey for very underwhelming food and service.Special Features:
- eatswithkidsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014First time visit, will come back. Brought my parents and 2 children under 10 and everyone enjoyed the experience. Great short ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm & WelcomingLive2eatDined on 9/19/2014When you first enter the restaurant, you are immediately stuck by the warm and vibrant atmosphere. It is "casual chic." The menu is simple and provides a range of choices for any palate. Chef Kevin Turner purposefully interacts with the patrons and is genuine in seeking their opinions of the restaurant. The food is fresh, well prepared and delicious. (I believe they get their produce fresh from the Simons Valley Market). This is one of the best restaurants in Northwest Calgary and the food is very reasonably priced. We keep going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seniorswunderbarDined on 9/17/2014Brought my seniors for lunch and we were treated like royalty. Staff were fantastic and food great..we all agreed we will be back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pulled Pork Sundae??rubberduckDined on 9/14/2014Sundae was amazing & the hot corn fritters with honey butter!! I dream about these now. I had the chicken for my main, it was very nice and moist. My hubby enjoyed the special, bison steak I think? We were so full we could not try the PB and jam ice cream sandwich - sadly. Note: I have read previous reviews that bash this restaurant for small servings and big prices, but we thought that for a "upscale" place the $ was reasonable. Between my hubby and I we had 3 appies (meatballs, corn fritters & pork sundae). We each had our own mains, as I mentioned before were too stuffed to eat dessert. We were a little disappointed in the wine selection, as 3 of the 4 bottles we wanted were unavailable, and the 4th they could only pour by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Very cool spot. Casual atmosphere for sure. Serving sizes were ideal & the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favourite find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014I've been going to the Symons Valley farmer's market for quite a while, and recently discovered the Roadhouse! I love it! I love the decor, the food, the view, everything!! Can't wait to come back and try something else on the menu!!Special Features:
- love.amandaDined on 8/28/2014this is a new favourite for us. we love that it's in the NW and child friendly. it seems like all baby friendly places are franchises. great atmosphere - relaxed and rustic and the food quality is outstanding. love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDadandMomDined on 8/27/2014Superb food in presentation, creativity and taste. Lobster poutine was other worldly, salad with shrimp and avocado was excellent, as were two pastas one with scallops, and spicier one with shrimp. Even John & Sebastian was bold. Well worth the trip.Special Features:
- What a surprise!PanoramaHillsFanDined on 8/27/2014We had heard this restaurant was good and were excited to try it--glad we did. The food was flavorful and the menu was varied. We will certainly return, highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQ houseSmoreDined on 8/23/2014The place was very comfortable and the tables felt private. Food was very good, though perhaps a bit on the salty and rich side. Dessert was at once both unexpectedly nostalgic and new.Special Features:
- Symons Valley RoadhouseKincoraJohnDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant offers a dependable rustic dining experience. This was the third time we attended with relatives from out of town and to celebrate the retirement of a brother in law. Overall, we have been pleased with the selection and the atmosphere is very cozy. Our last dining experience suffered a bit from the restaurant being admittedly short staffed in waiters. However, once the waiter came around and took our order, the kitchen prepared the food in very quickly. The cost of the food is also very reasonable.Special Features:
- foodloverDined on 8/23/2014Simple, seasonal, local ingredients prepared in a special way. Will definitely be back with friends and family!Special Features:
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Our brunch at Symons Roadhouse was a treat. The service was very friendly and professional. We had the Eggs Benedict and the Bison Burger and the food fresh and nicely presented. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Friday night outPantoDined on 8/22/2014The butter milk peach salad and corn fritters were amazing! Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wing nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014The wings are the only wings I will eat in Calgary! Thank you! so good..Saw some changes to the menu, the Bison Burger is fantastic! See you next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Excellent food and service. This was our second time at Symons Roadhouse and it won't be our last.Special Features:
- HalsheDined on 8/16/2014Unfortunately my experience was not very enjoyable.. The walk from the nearest car park, was a bit of a chore for me a long time Senior. But I had hoped that the food would make it worth while. My son & myself ordered the same main course which proved to be a big mistake as we were expected to eat raw Lamb. Having picked the most expensive meal on the menu, it was awful!!! The mixture that was served with it, is just indescribable! We both decided to try and drown the taste of what we had eaten ( I left half of mine) with a desert, we found this to be quite miserly in proportion. Having travelled 4500 miles to spend his birthday with his father, he was very disappointed & I was very embarrassed at choosing this venue.Special Features:
- kikibugDined on 8/14/2014Great lunch - Yummy eats! We will be back, next time for the patio!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014My wife was just recently diagnosed with diabetes. The waitress helped her food selection by asking the chef what foods would be good for her.This was a great help.We will be coming back.Thankyou.Special Features:
- Similar to other's experience~sadlyGrabbinggrubDined on 8/8/2014I heard about the restaurant on CBC with Julie Van Rosendaal, so I checked out the website and it looked amazing. Shortly after our reservations were made, I read the reviews posted. Lots commented about the poor quality, quality, and value of the meals. I had hoped that with the negative reviews, the meals may have been improved. Sadly, our experience wasn't the best. While the server was friendly and trying to do their best, the meals weren't great and not worth the price. The wings were too smokey and had an unappealing taste to them, the mussels could have come with some bread, and lastly the beer we ordered wasn't a full pint. As a result of our appy's we chose not to stay for dinner. :(
- Room for improvementsMeemsterDined on 7/27/2014My family of three went there for a Sunday brunch. The service was slow. It was clear that they didn't have enough experienced servers. The girls were really nice, but green, so they were not as efficient, e.g., they had to run back and forth a lot for condiments. They must be trying to save costs, as they only gave me one cube of sugar for my coffee. We ordered eggs benedict and short ribs w/ eggs. The food presentation was plain, and so were the flavors. For $17 eggs and short ribs, I expected more. If they just make simple breakfast items, no frills and just hearty, and reduce the price a little, I think they'll attract more local customers. I'd love to make it my Sunday staple...but not until the food gets better.Special Features:
- Rustic charm and good foodFlowerdrumsongVIPDined on 7/26/2014Decor-wise, it's like eating in the old Wild West - check out one cabinet display - it's got Calumet brand baking powder - so neat! The food is great - local and organic sourced from the vendors at the market. Loved the frozen lemon terrine dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxDined on 7/25/2014The place still holds the charm it has always had with an updated fresh feel. We were a bit disappointed that the lunch menu presented was limited compared to the menu showing online however, a specials menu was included that had a few extra choices. The Fritters were fantastic with the sides! The wings and the aioli were very good but the mesquite used in the smoking process was overpowering. We inquired if all meat options on the menu were smoked and they were so we tried the recommended Lobster Poutine. This dish is better than it's first tastes, I recommend tossing the fries with the sauce and let it rest and soak up the flavours, then dig in! Reservations recommended but the service was great with a no rush attitude.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2014Still have not been disappointed.. Fantastic food! Service charming... fun... thanks againSpecial Features:
- First timers!FlowerdrumsongVIPDined on 7/20/2014Went here for brunch and were not disappointed. We always go to the farmers market but we have never been to their restaurant so we were pleasantly surprised when we finally had a chance to try it! Food were fresh and organic and chef-made. There is always something so good with good that are served seasonally. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceStephanDined on 7/19/2014We've been meaning to check this place out for a while now - and I'm finally glad we did. The food is top notch, as exemplified by the incredible corn fritters and salty + savoury lobster poutine. Service was outstanding. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DawnsteakloverDined on 7/17/2014It was a fantastic night we were greeted at the door with a smile and a warm welcome we were seated and not long after we were sipping our favorite drinks. We took our time ordering and even were asked if we had questions about the menu or would like recommendations, our server was absolutely one of the best servers I have ever had she was friendly, and really took care of us and made us want to come back, the food was extremely good I love a good steak and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. We will be back and will be telling all our friends about it.Special Features:
- Unexpected surpriseProleboyDined on 7/16/2014We knew going in that anything cooked in the smoker would be amazing and it was. What we didn't expect were the desserts! We ended up sampling 3 of them and they were absolutely perfect. Who would have thought a roadhouse BBQ joint would have desserts to beat anything the downtown hotspots could produce?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with friendsmytimetodineDined on 7/13/2014Really fun place with great food. Western theme, felt like the old wild west. Will definitely go back for dinner or wings and beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Interesting spot with character and unique menu. Great farmer's market upstairs also!Special Features:
- Opening pains10for10VIPDined on 7/11/2014Server was not familiar with the menu and could not make any recommendations. Salad is lacking in quality and quantity pricey. Flatbread was dry. Service was slow
- Luv2chowdownDined on 7/11/2014Nice to have higher end restaurant in the deep NW INSTEAD OF GOING TO KENSINGTON OR DOWNTOWN. Best mussels i have had in calgary but some crusty bread with the order would make it a 10 out of 10 appy i had thr special a good sized bone in ribeye cooked perfectlyy parrner had thre penne and prawns both were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem for sure!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/9/2014It's great having the Roadhouse up here in Sage Hill area.. awesome spot to go, especially because we can walk over. Food is absolutely amazing!! Wings...OMG awesome! Go on Wednesday, half price! Food there has never disappointed us, it's always fantastic.. We'll be back again and again..Special Features:
- We will be backfam4Dined on 7/6/2014We went for brunch and thought they had a good selection, great food , great atmosphere. The favorite was the breakfast poutine ! They did a awesome job with decor inside the restaurant. Waitress was very helpful and clearly proud about what they served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dreaming about lobster poutinelovenewrestaurantsDined on 7/5/2014We've been to Symons Roadhouse twice and both times were memorable! The food is a surprise in a place so out of the way and it's worth the drive. I had lobster poutine both times and would have it again in a heartbeat. The wine is reasonably priced at $8-$9 for what I thought was a generous glass. Service was good too - even though it was quite busy the first time we went. So far I've had the aforementioned poutine, the lamb, calamari, chicken and all were delicious. My husband had the pulled pork sundae -it was okay but wouldn't order it again with so many other amazing choices. I love that they don't have a huge menu so you know they're making a few things really well. I also love that many ingredients come from the market upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wild West & so much moreBettyontherunDined on 7/2/2014Thank you Symon's Roadhouse for giving us a real food option in the NW. Yes, a bit of a drive but worth it. Great western ambience. An interesting food list with a western theme that delivers quality, flavour and value. We've eaten there twice, the second visit with a group - all meals were excellent. The well marked detour during road construction on Symons Valley Blvd wasn't a problem to get there. The rejuvenation of the old Symons Valley Ranch is a bit of Calgary History in our own back yard. Kudos to all who have given us this great restaurant and market. Be sure to enter and park from the east side of the buildings.Special Features: