Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar
23 Commerce St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $50 and over
Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sushinakazawa.com/
- Phone: 2129242212x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi
- Executive Chef: Daisuke Nakazawa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar
Sushi Nakazawa serves the omakase of Chef Daisuke Nakazawa. Within the twenty-course meal lies Chef Nakazawa’s passion for sushi. With ingredients sourced both domestically and internationally, the chef crafts a very special tasting menu within the style of Edomae sushi. Chef Nakazawa is a strong believer in the food he serves representing the waters he is surrounded by, so only the best and freshest find its way to your plate.Continued
Both sushi bar seats and tables in our dining room are made available 30 calender days in advance.
Both sushi bar seats and tables in our dining room are made available 30 calender days in advance.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)fit for foodies (47)hot spot (22)romantic (17)notable wine list (12)neighborhood gem (11)late-night find (2)Show More
- AwesomeNodrakDined on 8/23/2014Simply the best omakase experience I have had in New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once Is EnoughKennyVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I dined here for to celebrate her birthday. The $150 Kaiseki menu includes 21 pieces of Sushi. The fish quality is good, but not exceptional. The sushi pieces were small. The only other thing that's included is a very basic sorbet dessert. Nothing else. They charged us $12 for sparkling water even dough we didn't really get our own bottle. They just filled our glasses half way a few times. The $40 sake pairing for 6 tastings was reasonable although they seemed to be be a little stingy with the quantity they poured. Chef Nakazawa is a very friendly guy and the rest of the staff is very professional. We don't regret our dining experience here, however we don't see any reason to dine here again.Special Features:
- Great experienceMistaMilesDined on 8/22/2014One of the best sushi experiences in the city. Chef Nakazawa made the experience fun and interacted with all the guests at the sushi bar. The sake pairing was a great accompaniment and enhanced the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!foodievickieVIPDined on 8/12/2014This is the ultimate sushi place! The best we have ever had. The sake pairing is also terrific. Not easy to get into but worth every dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014What a great meal. By far and away the best sushi in NYC. Everything i had was full of flavor. Wish i could afford to eat there once a week, yes it really is that good definitely worth wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fresh sushiMichelleDined on 7/26/2014Very attentive staff and delicious Perfect for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014All of your senses are treated in a special way at Nakasawa. The warmth if the staff, the smoothness of the surroundings only enhance the best sushi I ever tasted. The patron gets the benefit of the bargain at Chef Nakasawa's Place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closest to Original Japanese SushiOlympusDined on 7/24/2014Having been a sushi fanatic and a partner who enjoys quality food, I knew this would be a must. Nakazawa, himself, had been very welcoming. Throughout the entire service, he would present each intricate piece of heaven upon our marble slabs. He would occasionally crack jokes which would deteriorate any kind of "too serious" environment as stated in Jiro's restaurant. The other chefs, other than preparing the dining rooms pieces, had communicated with us as well. The service from all the host/hostess were phenomenal. Constant check-ups and reassurances are short of an understatement. All in all, I would suggest this restaurant if you can't make it to japan and are eager to experience a fine sushi establishment. I will be returning !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatpinionEatpinionDined on 7/18/2014Not worth the hype. Sushi was "good" but nothing out of this world. Maybe 4 out of the 22 piece omakase sushi was "wow". Save your money!!!Special Features:
- Fantastic!WurdioDined on 7/17/2014Went here for the first time two nights ago after luckily scoring a reservation three days before! This place is all it's cracked up to be and lives up to the hype. Will you love every single piece you put in your mouth? I think that's impossible with a 20+ course meal, however you will love most of them! Chef Nakazawa creates a wonderfully fun environment with him and his crew on both sides of the bar. He clearly loves what he is doing as he takes you on an incredible culinary journey. Ours took us from Maine to North Carolina to California, up the coast to Seattle, to Alaska and across the pacific to the Bay of Japan and Hokaido. So many textures and flavors, easily some of the best pieces of sushi I've ever had...truly a memorable night!Special Features:
- my take on sushi nakazawa14thStreetFoodieDined on 7/17/2014I liked the actual sushi bar and was very comfortable sitting in the comfortable leather chairs. The premium sake pairing was amazing. It was also enjoyable to watch Nakazawa's soldiers behind the bar but, I must say, Sushi Nakazawa has nothing on my favorite sushi places which are Ushiwakamaru, 15 East and Sushi Dojo. Nakazawa pot some truffle something on this beautiful sea urchin so you couldn't even appreciate the taste of the sea urchin itself. He also put a torch on the giant clam which gave the same effect of not being able to appreciate that beautiful piece of giant clam. I also didn't like this assembly line leading up to Nakazawa shaping and delivering the sushi. I'll stick to sitting in front of Hideo, Masa and Sushi Dave.
- Absolutely fantastic.littlearwenDined on 7/1/2014Totally worth the $150+. Amazing sushi, perfect sake pairing, excellent service and it's totally worth getting a seat at the sushi bar to see chef Nakazawa in action and engage with him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great omakaseAwesomeDined on 7/1/2014Huge sake selection! The omakase is pretty good, probably the best in NYC. Still it's not as good or comparable with tokyo's best. The consistency of the rice and the presentation of the sushi could be way better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi ever!FoodspotVIPDined on 6/26/2014Although the last time I went in the dining room and the sushi was a little bit better than OK, I was pleasantly surprised that the level of quality at the sushi bar is far greater than the sushi served in the dining room. Really outstanding! And the chef is a very pleasant person. I was already trying to arrange another dinner for few weeks later at the sushi bar before I finished my dinner. But of course, they are fully booked. Although 2 seats next to me were empty that night... They need to improve in their phone service. Not easy to get them on the phone.Special Features:
- well worth the wait and moneyidreamofsushiDined on 6/22/2014Dining at Sushi Nakazawa is a humbling, out of this world experience. From the first to the last sushi served in this 20-course omakase, you are in for a treat as an explosion of colours, tastes and sensations greet and whisk you away into sushi heaven. Forget all the sushi that you've had and thought you love, you will be dreaming of sushi once the night is through. Be forewarned: it is incredibly difficult to secure a reservation, which you can make for multiples of two each time (30days in advance—online reservations given priority). You will not be able to choose what goes on your plate but rest be assured that the experience will be different and novel each time as only the freshest catch make it to their carefully curated menu.Special Features:
- Worth all the hypeValpalVIPDined on 6/10/2014Yes, this is the famous Jiro Dreams of Sushi apprentice. Yes, getting reservations means playing the midnight-wait game. And yes, high quality sushi is trending beyond belief these days. But all those points aside, Sushi Nakasawa is so incredibly worth it. First, the restaurant itself is beautiful. The bar, especially, is gorgeous. Second, Chef Nakasawa is adorable and such a fun man to watch. Get a reservation at the bar -- watching him make every piece of sushi and being able to enjoy each piece the way it was meant to be experienced made this meal one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown away!FOHgirl519Dined on 6/9/2014Hands down one of my favorite dining experience ever! I don't think the quality of that sushi is matched anywhere in the city. It's a fun interactive experience to sit at the sushi bar. The only thing is we did the premium sake pairing and you're poured the same amount for one piece of sushi or for five pieces. I would have appreciated being offered a splash more for the pairings meant to last for several pieces. This is a must go!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTliv2eatDined on 5/24/2014Food was amazing, service was outstanding, decor was modern but the overall feel was not pretentious at all. Alessandro was warm and welcoming. Could not have asked for a better dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!KalenoDined on 5/21/2014We had a great experience with Chef Nakazawa, very friendly and polited! We had the omakase with the sake tasting, and was a great choice! All sushis were fantastic! If you are a foreigner as I am, I would suggest you to learn some fish names for a better experience. The ambience is another thing to contemplate, very confortable and cozy. I also suggest to book at the Sushi Bar, as the experience to see the sushimen working and using their skills is an experience of a lifetime! Loved all sushis!Special Features:
- PhenomenalZak7VIPDined on 5/15/2014Mr. Nakazawa does an amazing job. Food was incredible, pacing was great. He was laughing and smiling the whole time, created a great atmosphere. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 21 reviews are from the Sushi Nakazawa - Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- Sushi NakazawaHanoverFistDined on 4/16/2014If you are a fan of "Jiro Dream's of Sushi," this is the sushi experience for you. You must book 30-days in advance for a place at the 10-seat Sushi Bar, hosted by Mr. Nakazawa himself. A preset, 20-piece gastronomical explosion of sushi flavor practically unmatched anywhere. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's elaborate and over the top. And yes, it is definitely worth every penny. We paired our dinner with the premium Saki flight menu, which only intensified the experience overall.Special Features:
- It Melts!honeytushDined on 4/16/2014We arrived around 5 PM, and I knew we'd have to wait before we could be seated. So, my friend and I stood outside and took many pictures. The location was so great. It was quiet, and it made us able to wait around the street without worrying fast pace cars. The service was SO GREAT! I never had anyone show so much patience and deliver so much KNOWLEDGE about the fish we were eating. It was good too because they were able to converse with us and make us understand the food since Nakazawa's english is still sometimes hard to understand. They were my idea of a true great service. Nakazawa was WONDERFUL! He always smiled and made me feel like I was important and welcomed. He made his fellow chefs feel special too. Loved it! LOVED THE SUSHI!Special Features:
- Nakazawa is the BESTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/14/2014Sushi Nakazawa is by far the best sushi restaurant we have ever experienced. It is a chic, fine dining, great tasting restaurant. I love everything about this place. From the moment you walk in, you're greeted and seated. They do not miss a beat. We sat at the Omakasa bar where Mr. Nakazawa was working his magic. He is so friendly and personal which made it ever so more the very best. He's funny and attentive. We were very pleased and appreciate the opportunity to have dined here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING EXPERIENCE!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/14/2014The sushi is amazing! The best I've ever had, and it's a very intimate experience with Nakazawa. You see him doing what he does best, and get to interact with him. Definitely an experience of a lifetime!Special Features:
- Fantastic experiencesy121Dined on 4/7/2014We had dinner at the sushi bar. Great atmosphere. Amazing food. Premium sake pairing is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth itsash0kDined on 4/4/2014Saw Jiro. Had my 5th anniversary coming up. Got 2 seats at the bar on our second night trying. Nakazawa is a charmer. The fish is exceptional and adventurous. Even the seasoned sushi eaters at the bar were impressed. Squirming scallop, uni, mackerel, and fatty tuna were the best pieces in our lot. Sake pairing will get you toasty too. Service A++. If it's an experience you're looking for, you'll get it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nakazawa can dream toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2014Chef Nakazawa was very attentive on every single piece he served, the fish seemed to have jumped out of the sea and into your plate, the best of its class as it was hand picked by himself personally. The rice was apparently the best quality as it was flown directly from Japan and bred into 4 different qualities of rice and made into one. Chef nakazawa was very entertaining in the hour and a half of the meal. For food, service,quality, I give this place 3 marks out of a possible 4. For the experience a 4 out of 4 marks.Special Features:
- Some of the best sushi I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/26/2014Some of the best sushi I have had ever. Master Nakazawa was friendly, funny and informative. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedRyanPDined on 3/25/2014Too much sauce and the most of sushi were too salty. I seated at the sushi bar and high chair/ ambiance was not fit for top sushi restaurant. Basically too pricey for the experience.Special Features:
- Best sushi ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2014Was easily the best sushi my wife and I have ever had and we eat a lot of sushi. Sake pairing was awesome as well. Staff was incredible attentive and knowledgeable. Since we sat at the sushi bar we spent a good amount of time talking and joking with the Chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience. GreatButchie44Dined on 3/18/2014What an experience. Great sushi, great experience. Class act all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAsheVIPDined on 3/15/2014We were lucky to secure a reservation on a Saturday night at the Sushi Bar. From beginning to end, the presentation, service, and most of all each sushi course, we were delighted with the quality and taste of everything we ate that night. We were also pleased with the sake recommendation we were given, and would be excited to return if able to get another reservation.Special Features:
- The Sushi is very good. ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/14/2014The Sushi is very good. Chef Nakazawa is friendly. But, considering how difficult to make a reservation here and the price, I do not think it is worthwhile. Sitting sushi bar is the best if you dine at a sushi restaurant, but here, Chef Nakazawa is running a show like Benihana. He is nice enough to tell us where the fish is from, but no further communication like the one you expect at the sushi counter. The show is run strictly in accordance with the schedule, and sitting at the sushi bar does not make much different from sitting at a table. Again, the sushi is good, but not a type of restaurant I am inclined to come back. If Chef Nakawaza opens his own restaurant (not as an employee chef), he may run the place differently.Special Features:
- Sat at the bar, had omakaseravensarrowVIPDined on 3/13/2014Sat at the bar, had omakase + sake pairing. The regular pairing didn't impress me, but it did the job. Had fun with Nakazawa and the staff in both Japanese and English. Everyone was very polite. The food was absolutely delicious, and that's coming from a discerning sushi lover. (The only thing I didn't love was the grouper.) Decor was alright, but the chairs really crowd the bar, and it's hard to get in and out of them without help, which is a little awkward. We had a great time regardless, so kudos to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBZfoooodDined on 3/11/2014This is as good as it gets for Sushi. A must go for anyone who can get a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomChrisDined on 3/11/2014I thought the Sushi was fantastic and the service was really great too! Nakazawa was really nice and provided some humor as well!Special Features:
- Pieces of heaven ;)TienDined on 3/10/2014My experience was amazing. The staff was phenomenal. Everyone was very helpful, polite and courteous. Chef Nakazawa is easy easy going and playful. As each piece was plated, it was pieces of heaven that just uplifted the my sense for more. I highly recommend the sake pairing. It made such a difference. Truly one of the best meals I have ever had. Simplicity at its finest. Thank you for such a wonderful experience. I will be visiting again and hopefully sometime soon.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in NYC!!!howardyoonDined on 3/10/2014It's the freshness of the sushi, the rice, and the combination of flavors that makes this place one of the best places to eat Sushi anywhere in the world! Also, it's the world renown sushi chef (Apprentice appearing in Jiro Dreams of Suhi) that makes the experience even that much greater! Best sushi I have ever had - hands down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic - for the adventurousAnnaBNYCDined on 3/3/2014Sit at the bar for amazing omakase and attentive service. Wonderful wine selection and optional sake pairing. Incredible to watch the masters hand at work and taste the subtle and delicious combination of flavors. He's charming and talented. a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014Best meal I ever had, hands down. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.