Sugo Italian Food & Wine
1214 - 9th ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0T1Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Sugo Italian Food & Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sugo.ca/
- Phone: 4032631115
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm.
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm -9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Angelo Contrada
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jesse Johnson 4032631115
A word from Sugo Italian Food & Wine
Sugo opened its doors in November 2001, with the mantra of creating a unique Italian dining experience focused on regional ingredients with an emphasis on freshness. Our first menu was created on November 14th 2001 and since then we have had more than 1,000 different menus, each designed with love and using the best product available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Sugo Italian Food & Wine - Best Restaurants in Inglewood ›
Sugo Italian Food & Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (30)romantic (20)notable wine list (16)good for groups (13)great for lunch (11)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Out of towners second visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014Visited on our last visit to Calgary over a year ago for dinner. At that time is was wonderful so we thought we would try it for lunch on this visit. The food is outstanding and a real must for those who want real Italian Cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll go back!BirthdayGirlDined on 10/15/2014We went to Sugo for a special occasion and I was very pleased with the evening. The food was excellent and I don't give this rating without considerable experience in both cooking and dining. Because I love to cook and have been assessed as a great cook, I am very often disappointed with restaurant food, but I will return to Sugo! Another note is that the portions were a good size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little RestaurantLookin4thebestDined on 10/11/2014Nice small menu which I find is a sign of good quality. Everything was delicious, wine, appys & the main course. We just got back from Rome and it was pretty close to some of the food we had over there. Nice atmosphere, wish the music was a little more authentic Italian, it was good music, just not what I expected. Best espresso I've had since Italy. The service was fantastic.Special Features:
- A memorable mealinsearchofgoodfoodDined on 10/6/2014A friend and I enjoyed the "chef surprise" menu, which was adjusted according to her dietary needs. Each course was very tasty and well presented, and the overall organization was very well balanced. The wine pairing also was thoughtful and very good. The service is friendly and one is made to feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBabetteDined on 10/4/2014The service was so slow the whole evening, it actually got to be annoying. Yes it was a Saturday night but this isn't their first rodeo so the excuse of "all the tickets came in at once " just means that the wait staff weren't doing their jobs. It took 30 min just to get our antipasto! The veal t-bone was so tough it had to be sent back, the replacement pasta dish was swimming in olive oil, and the pheasant was dry. We almost left without our dessert it was taking so long. Won't be back anytime soon. Too many other restaurants to go too!
- Not the best service...DinoDined on 9/29/2014Server was a bit scattered. Did not give us the antipasto list, spilled wine that he poured for my wife, did not make a good wine reccomendation when the wine we wanted was out of stock... Food was delicious however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisy food only good and greatdisappointedDined on 9/27/2014, on sept 27/14 the calamari was chewy and very fishy tasting one persons pasta was tasteless, the time before we had rib eye steaks they also had some problems as far as the quality of the meat and yes we let the waiter know we receive 1 free dessert not sure that was a good trade off for a table of 4 people in closing i must say that as the rest. has become more popular the quality of the food has fallen, SorrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sugo was amazing!winegirlDined on 9/26/2014Last Friday, my parents and I visited Sugo. We opted to go with the Chef's Tasting Menu with wine pairing. The food was amazing, great variety and fresh!!! The service was perfect, our dishes and wines were explained to us, and then the server left us to our meal! The only thing that saddend me slightly was that I had thought it would be quiet dining, the restaurant was only 1/2 full and incredibly loud. We will definately be going back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Team lunchUpperCatDined on 9/23/2014I went for lunch with co-workers and had a great experience. The server was prompt and helpful, the wine was great, and the lunch delicious. We'll be going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for our anniversarySandyDined on 9/5/2014Charming little restaurant, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Complements to the chef on the menu, everything was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealDinoDBDined on 8/28/2014We really enjoyed our experince the serivice was authentic and attentive and the food was prepared perfectly. From the appetizers to our entrees everything was brilliant!! ONLY thing we didn't like is that the room was very bright so we asked our server if they could lower the lighting. She did so very qucikly and then brought candles to the tables we thought it might of been an oversight on their part b/c in the past the lighting was spot on. A very good night overall!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasing the small town guestbeamerDined on 8/21/2014My mother is from a small town in Saskatchewan and is very skeptical about " big city food". She attended the lunch at Sugo with me and whole-heartedly approved!! She had her first ever Americano and loved it. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeastDined on 8/16/2014Very friendly waitress, delicious food, slow service though (It took over an hour for our meals to come.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryFoodie989Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here, the food was unbelievable. The service was great and the night was fabulous. The staff makes you feel at home. The wine list is great. My suggestion, go with the chefs creation 4 course dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedenjoyfoodyycDined on 8/15/2014Out for a Friday night with my wife and daughter. I am sorry we went to Sugos. Food recommendations were not well chosen, wine poured with a heavy hand and enough salt to last me a week. I doubt we will be back.
- ServiceLuna1Dined on 8/15/2014The hostess/server was very friendly and courteous. The food was terrific, the ambience was great, although a little noisy when it got busier. Our server became quite busy and we didn't see much of after the meals came out. The server did comp our after dinner cognacs though and I'm not sure why. Completely surprised by it. I will go back again...happy overall with our first visit.Special Features:
- HolodnyVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was great! The gnocchi are made on site were excellent t.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service, ok food...OceaneyesDined on 8/9/2014Detailed review on Yelp. The service here was deplorable. 1 server for the whole restaurant who needs major lessons in customer service. The fish was dry (halibut). More pasta dishes were needed on the menu. The scallops appy was divine as was the fresh bread offering. Not impressed to pay for tap water, however. Ran out of Peroni beer? Come on! Great ambiance and wonderful location. Will not return based on lack of service, how long the food took to come out and the refusal to split cheques (2 for 4 people) Will not recommend and I was almost embarrassed that brought my friends here to try it out as they had not experienced worse service in a long, long time. Pricey. Sugo, you let us down.Special Features:
- Food always tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014We have been here a few times and have always enjoyed the food. We especially like the build-your-own antipasti plate - the picked eggplant was amazing! My husband's risotto with duck was tasty, and I thoroughly enjoyed my halibut with vegetables. If I had to have one complaint, it would be that twice we've had a reservation, shown up on time (within 5 minutes) and our table hasn't been ready. I know this isn't necessarily the restaurant's fault, as sometimes people like to linger longer than anticipated, but it has happened more than once so I thought I'd mention it. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent Food!strangerDined on 7/25/2014Right in the heart of Inglewood, this restaurant should not be missed! Amazing food, excellent wine and service!Special Features:
- it's been too long!bigguyVIPDined on 7/19/2014I hadn't been to Sugo in years but went out with another couple for dinner and it was excellent! We all enjoyed the shared appy's and our dinners...Delicious! Wait staff was excellent and when we couldn't decide what wine to have with dinner she suggested we try 3 of her fav's based on what we normally enjoy...and we found a good one to compliment our main course.Special Features:
- 2grandkidsDined on 7/16/2014Went to Sugo for our 39th Anniversary and were ecstatic with choosing the chefs 4 course dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPasdaetereDined on 7/16/2014The pasta dishes are fantastic. The roasted romaine hearts are amazing. I had a sirloin, not so good. Tough and tasteless. Should try a different cut and dress it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 296 reviews are from the Sugo Italian Food & Wine reviews archive.
- Sugo - stellar food and serviceEricaDined on 6/26/2014Excellent meal! Started with the day's crostini - strawberries with balsamic reduction, prosciutto and marscapone. Perfect balance of sweet and savory. It was a large appetizer though, next time I'd plan to share. Main was the chicken breast, set on seasonal vege and topped with roasted red peppers. The pickled beet was an unexpected delicious counterbalance to the sauce. For dessert I enjoyed the meyer lemon tart. Lucious lemon curd in a delicate crust, topped with berries and cream. Excellent, but almost too tart...or maybe I finished the berries too quickly. Excellent and attentive service. My only complaint: several large parties in the room meant at times the noise level was irritating-not sure how they'd fix that however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent, superb, diningGramanitaDined on 6/25/2014Highly recommend for all appetites and palates. Accomodating to our schedule and thoughtful suggestions for wine selections and food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy PlaceAllanDined on 6/24/2014we were disappointed in the chef special, sooner order from the menu, but nice place, great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerDinoutcalVIPDined on 6/24/2014Another good dinner provided by the folks at Sugo.Special Features:
- KateyDined on 6/24/2014Food was excellent! Unfortunately they got slammed with an unexpected crowd and were short staffed. Service became slow. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FlavourOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/23/2014Our first time at Sugo did not disappoint. We started with the buffalo mozzarella salad and arancini balls - yum yum yum! My dinner companion continued to enjoy the thought of his meal of crispy halibut long after the last portion was eaten. My pasta dish (Spaghetti with tuna, zucchini and wine/basil sauce) was light and delicious and perfect for what I was desiring. We both appreciated the simple yet delicious flavors. All the ingredients were fresh and fit well with each thing on the plate. The only thing I did not love was their pricey glass of red house wine. A secondary glass of an Amarone house wine was much better.
- Second time aroundCutecookVIPDined on 6/20/2014This was my second visit to Sugo my first visit was with a group and since it was my husbands work function I didn't get a good feel for the restaurant. My latest visit was for lunch with a friend. We chose to split an appetizer and we each chose the pan seared halibut. The food was very good my only critique, our waitress brought our appetizer and entre at the same time. It's my understanding that the appetizer always precedes the main dish. I must point out that we had a reservation and yet when we arrived the young man that seated us seemed to be very confused almost as though he wasnt sure how to seat us it was quite uncomfortable. I would definitely return to sugo the food is great and energetic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very tasty.ZeekDined on 6/11/2014Food and drink were excellent once again, staff is great, environment is very comfortable. Service was a little slow between courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but server was slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Went here for a business lunch and the food was delicious. It was not very busy and so was quiet and we were not rushed. The server, however, was slow and did not come around very often. When she did, she was not as friendly as I would have expected from such a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner with folksFood4TwoDined on 6/9/2014Took my wife out for her birthday with her parents. We had looked at Sugo prior, but never tried it. We love Inglewood and all it offers and Sugo fits the billing perfectly. The food was incredible. Pea Risotto with Veal, Duck Breast, Bacon wrapped pork T-Loin and Game hen. Generous portions of proteins all around and side veggies were a nice mix of choices with nothing to turn you nose. Ambiance was great. Sat at a window table on a quiet Monday night. Service was good. Felt a little abandoned at times. Had a rather loud group 2 tables away and the volume carries in the small restaurant. Al around a great evening and our expectations were not disappointed. Note: rotating menu, don't go looking for standard fare. Look to be adventurous.Special Features:
- Just a great choice anytimeMrDogDined on 5/23/2014If you want a great meal that your mind's eye can see (not to mention taste) then become a frequent guest. Very addictive.Special Features:
- nice and intimateoutthereDined on 5/16/2014We found the restaurant to fit our needs well. There was just two of us out for a quiet dinner. Food was very good and service friendly and up to expectations. We enjoyed the menu and the location was very nice inside with a warm and welcoming feel. It has a "home spun" feel which we like.Special Features:
- Well done but expensiveFalunarchDined on 5/12/2014Overall had a good experience. The food was very good, but I felt that the cost was expensive for the value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJoAnneVIPDined on 5/10/2014Took our daughter there for a Mother/daughter outing and we were disappointed with her meal. The pasta was a seafood linguine with a white wine garlic sauce. It arrived with Squid Ink which put off my 13 year old. She would not have ordered it if she knew that it had squid ink in it. The description on the menu should have mentioned that. When we asked about it the server checked with the kitchen and came back and said that it did indeed have squid ink and agreed that it was not mentioned on the menu description. (Obviously because it was a black sauce it had the ink!) That is all he did...they did not offer to bring her something else or take it off the bill. I thought that this was poor. Won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/8/2014Our first impression of Sugo was anything but good! The Maitre d ( female lady)that met us and took us to a raised seating area and was anything but obliging. All four ( 4 ) of the individuals in our party were over 75 years old and since the restaurant was almost empty, (we had arrived early), there were plenty of ground level tables for 4 persons. One of our party could not even get up to the raised seating that she showed us to so we asked for a table on the ground level. With a sincere frown and no pleasantries we were shown to a nice table with a very good waitress and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The Maitre d never did come by our table again, which, was the only negative experience of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and romanticGoodeats43Dined on 5/3/2014Sugo is a fabulous place for a special occasion dinner with a loved one. The price is affordable and the food is wonderful. Service is impeccable and they go the extra mile to make your dinner memorable. Inglewood has such a great feel and it's so nice Sugo is there to bring people into that cool area of Calgary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not in a hurry to come backDiner01Dined on 4/26/2014Service was poor. We waited 20 minutes before someone came to our table. She hardly said 2 words to us, threw the menus down and walked away. We had lamb shank and tenderloin which were just ok. The tenderloin was over cooked. I left feeling unsatisified. May be a different experience with a different server.Special Features: