Sugar Cane Maui
736 Front Street
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $30 and under
Sugar Cane Maui
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sugarcanemaui.com/
- Phone: 8082146662x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 8:00am - 11:30am
Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Pan-Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Philippe Chin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We will consider all your needs for your next catered affair, from casual party trays too formal seated black tie weddings and events. Philippe Chin's and Sugar Cane Maui team is your partner for the best and most memorable party ever.
A word from Sugar Cane Maui
Serving Breakfast, lunch and dinner and late night PuPu's~ And while your there, enjoy a heavenly cup of Island- Blend French Press Coffee, one of their Signature Drinks or an icy cold Long Board Draft, on the gorgeous lanai overlooking the harbor....Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sugar Cane Maui - Best Restaurants in Lahaina ›
Sugar Cane Maui reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (21)fit for foodies (16)neighborhood gem (15)great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (9)special occasion (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Seafood in MauiPaulKenVIPDined on 10/16/2014We were seated on the balcony overlooking Front Treet in Lahania. The seafood was nicely prepared and reasonably priced. Service was attentive and helpful. Desert portions were small and overpriced. Overall a very good dining experience.Special Features:
- A big disappointment!EnjoyableVIPDined on 10/15/2014The first indication we were in trouble was when we walked in 30 minutes early for our reservations and they said, "Oh, you must be our 7:00 pm reservation." Also, there were more waitstaff than customers. My wine was not good, the lettuce in the salad was limp with a tasteless dressing, both our entrees were overdone, steak for my husband, and I had the seared ahi tuna. When we sat down there were bread and butter plates on the table which the waitstaff removed when they brought our entrees. We then asked for bread and they were surprised we would be interested. They did not return the plates. Very odd service! By the time the dessert menu arrived we could not wait to leave.
- Great experience!BakerDined on 8/31/2014Wife and I had reservations on their lanai for sunset time. Great harbor view over Lahaina Front St. Must-do for location, happy hour drinks and pupus. The calamari is the best my wife and I have ever had, and it's one of our go-to apps.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchKIGMAUIVIPDined on 8/31/2014On August 31st I visited Sugar Cane Maui to support their new Sunday Brunch efforts. This was about my fourth visit to Sugar Cane Maui. In August they offered 50% off for local, Kama`aina guests. If that had not been the case, I would state the the menu entrees were a little pricey. The food was good, although the souffle ordered had fallen - not a pretty presentation. Then Lobster Benedict was tasty! The space and the view are great. The food is good. The Happy Hour is great! The problem is the service. Perhaps they cannot over-staff, but one waiter and a helper for Sunday Brunch didn't make for a good experience. Luckily the bartender pitched in. Hopefully these bumps will straighten out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Undiscovered gemLivetoeatDined on 8/23/2014Best meal I had on Maui. Something - lots really - for everyone. Restaurant is still less than a year old so word of mouth is building. I took a chance and it was great. Great drinks, options for vegetarians and our meat lovers. Terrific and friendly service. Unbelievable desserts. Went back TWICE during my stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Poke Nachos we have ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/10/2014Great staff, friendly and very helpful. The food was great, we are planning on going back during our stay on Maui.Special Features:
- DisappointingRichDined on 8/8/2014A very warm and friendly welcome from our server (who continued to try his best for us despite the long wait for food to arrive) and ice cold draft beer were the only positives from this experience. I've eaten all over the world, trying all sorts of foods at all restaurant levels in all sorts of random places. I rarely complain and I'm no food snob. Unfortunately though this was one of the worse meals I've ever eaten out. Given it's central location if they could get the food sorted it would no doubt be a roaring success. Until then I'll pass.
- disappointedhakuihanaVIPDined on 7/31/2014Much to our disappointment, especially after having read other user reviews, our experience with both the food and the service left us with a feeling of regret. The selections on the menu seems to be lacking a cohesive identity, leaving diners with a fat bill wondering and what this restaurant is trying to be: a fried food joint, or a destination where culinary talent claims to unveils itself at the table.
- Must Have The Ahi Nachos!KevinVIPDined on 7/30/2014This place was referred to us by someone who was on Maui just before us. The food, location, views were outstanding. Our waiter, JJ was also very good. I did feel however that there were a lot of service people roaming around and they could have assigned more help to our table of 10. Now, the service wasn't enough to turn me off to this spot...the food was definitely enough to get us back. Everything we had was excellent including their burger, ahi nachos, brussels sprouts and steak and blue salad. Creative and fun menu!Special Features:
- KismetLauraVIPDined on 7/25/2014We booked a table at Mamas Fish House when we let them know we would be a few minutes late... We were disappointed and really thought a not-very-Hawaiian response that we were not welcome and they were closing - after driving more than 40 minutes from our hotel. The good news was, we headed back to our hotel, and booked a table at Sugar Cane via open table. You saved the night. We were greeted very happily when we arrived. The food was awesome. The "nachos" rocked with the crazy fresh tuna, wasabi and arugula and fried tortilla bits - a true winner. Our entrees were both creative delicious. we had a truly delish evening and want to thank Mamas for not accommodating us. We learned that Phillip Chinn is the ONLY master chef on Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We only we to Sugar Cane as a result of Open Table. We sat on the balcony overlooking the bay and a lovely sunset (they all are in Maui). Service was very attentive. Live music was excellent. We ordered 7 different small dishes from the tapas menu and they were all very tasty. My kids got generous portions from the kids menu. Prices were very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden Gem!MauifindVIPDined on 7/19/2014We stumbled across this hidden gem on Maui. It was our last day on the island. We originally went in for a glass of wine. The staff was awesome! While sitting there overlooking the sunset across the ocean. We read the menu and couldn't resist trying the Chef's 5-course prefix menu. I canx my previous dinner reservation and booked with Sugar Cane. Master Chef Philippe Chin's attention to detail with flavors and wine pairing were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/17/2014solid food. great view of lahaina strip. Surprised it was so empty but they haven't been open that long. Hope they stick around. Prices are reasonable. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real culinary talentJakeDined on 7/11/2014Phillippe Chin is doing the most inventive cooking we found on Maui. The lobster-shrimp fondue was a terrific conception -- sort of a classic Newburgh reborn as a fondue, chock full of lobster and shrimp. The crab beignets were superb. Steak and bleu salad might have used a touch less assertive vinegar (try white vinegar?) but was fine. Tapas portions were generous. This is a great change from the sameness of generic Maui-resort cuisine.Special Features:
- SurprisedImprezzadrvrDined on 7/8/2014It's so wonderful to find a restaurant that can present something different on this island besides different takes on over salted teriyaki chicken. This menu is so fresh and wonderful and the Tapas are all different from anything I've had on Maui. I continue to push this restaurant on my friends and family because it really is a hidden gem on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat to find this new place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014We were walking by and this place had a lady out front sharing pau hana specials, trying to bring in business. She happened to find us when we were hot and ready for a nice maitai. A beautiful somewhat new (less than a year) place with contemporary plantation style decor and very clean. Drinks we fantastic and you really can't beat a well made, fresh, 5.00 maitai. Unheard of especially on Maui. So let's move to the food. We were shocked by the presentation, portion size, fusion of flavors for the price. Sugar Can Maui did not disappoint. Chef Chin is amazing as were the wait staff. We went back a 2nd time with friends visiting from Oahu. We were all shocked again as we're used to the overpriced and/or not as tasty waikiki scene.Special Features:
- Great views of Lahaina coast!SweetbloodDined on 6/27/2014Nice place. The service was almost too attentive (if that's possible) and the food was excellent. Reserve a table on the balcony, if possible, for the best experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A best of MauiOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/25/2014This by far, was the best place I ate while on Maui.This great find has a unique menu clearly designed by a creative chef who is sensitive to the local fare but offers a great twist to the dishes.The service is great! Everyone you encounter is accommodating, genuine and pleasant. We decided to come back here throughout our 9 day trip to sample different dishes because we loved everything we ordered. I talked to Gallery owners down Front Street and they indicated that Sugar Cane Maui has been several different eateries. It is an upstairs restaurant which allows for spectacular views - but is not as visible from the street and foot traffic. Take it from a foodie who is a journalist and travels the world... this is a "must eat"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 45 reviews are from the Sugar Cane Maui reviews archive.
- Really wanted to like itletsgoVIPDined on 6/20/2014Went here on a whim, seated quickly and waiter was very attentive at first. Ordered 2 drinks and 4 apps. 15 mins for drinks 40 mins for apps. brussel sprouts were a brown mass and over cooked, wedge salad was pretty but had zero taste and almost no dressing. Chicken wings were a little slimy(not crispy) green beans were very good. Nice location but won't return, being a local its unfortunate.
- kp1010Dined on 6/10/2014One of the best steaks in Maui and not $50-$100 (: nice atmosphere would go again and again!Special Features:
- excellentDaveDined on 5/26/2014Food was beautifully presented and great sauces on fish & chicken entries.. the puppy sampler was excelespecially the Brussels sprouts. Ask for a table on the balcony for great sunset views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new gem on islandMarkonMauiVIPDined on 5/24/2014amazing food, great location a must visit while on Island!Special Features:
- FoodSFahadDined on 5/22/2014Ordered mahi mahi dish and it was pretty plain like no flavor at all. Recommended to use few different sauces for flavor but sauces were plain too. Fish was burned. Waiter was really nice and didn't not charge for plate. View and customer service was great but taste less food and way over priced.Special Features:
- Best Service Ever!JessicaVIPDined on 5/21/2014The restaurant happened to be out of a particular cut of beef for a coffee-rubbed steak, and our waiter actually ran to the local butcher shop to purchase a similar cut so a person in our party could have the entree they ordered. Wow! The service would have been phenomenal even without the run to the butcher store, but that really just set the bar higher for everyone else. As for the food? Holy smokes - you'll be impressed. For a relatively quiet place that's really just getting going, the menu will blow you away. Everything on our table was devoured, but some of our favorites were the beignets, croquettes, and brussels sprouts as far as appetizers go. Really can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gemKmz83Dined on 5/19/2014Awesome food but skimpy drinks. I would definitely return again. Our waiter was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a yes...xx4funxxVIPDined on 5/16/2014We Did The Tapas And Drinks. Food Was Delicious, Enjoyed The Variety. Don't Expect A Quick Meal, Instead Sit Back And Enjoy. The Staff Was OUTSTANDING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the TapasLilliDined on 5/12/2014A very nice selection of tapas suitable for a group but some were only suitable for 1 or 2 diners. It would be helpful if the menu stated how many items would be on a plate e.g. grilled prawns - 3.Special Features:
- Awesome customer service!LuvmauifoodDined on 5/11/2014We had brunch and dinner for Mother's Day there and both meals were great! Tony the manager was so accommodating and really treated my family and myself as if we we're important people. :) The monchong was wonderful as well as the shrimp and flat iron steak. Loved ahi tataki and desserts were to die for! We will soon be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food! Delightful SurpriseShaughnGDined on 5/8/2014Sugarcane Maui is winning hearts and minds and appetites with amazing food, generous discounts in May and a quiet calm dining room with a view of ocean. Ahi nachos, short-ribs, filet mignon, ahi tuna steak and vegetable risotto were highlights. Tony the MOD was very accommodating and convinced that we are coming back for Mother's Day with our party of 12. We live in Ka'anapali and go out a lot. The food was on par with Bev Gannon's restaurant. The pricing was excellent and set to encourage new diners. A cut below Lahaina Grill but very pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemMarkonMauiVIPDined on 5/7/2014Truly innovative food, fresh and delicious. The Monchong and Short Ribs are amazing!Special Features:
- Early bird specialOspreyalDined on 4/27/2014Enjoyed the early bird special $24 three course dinner. Great sampler appie, choice of three entrees (had the Mahi Mahi which was great-so were the short ribs my wife had) followed by pineapple upside down cake. And watched the sunset from an open window table. Can't get much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding First ImpressionKiki63VIPDined on 4/16/2014Great service along with great food. Our favorites were the Ahi Nachos, Shrimp and Ahi dinner. We loved so much went back the next day for their Tapas after 8pm Menu. We were just impressed with this menu!! Absolutely love this dining experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only had the tapas.Palo0730Dined on 4/12/2014Went here for the 50% off tapas menu after 8p.m. on a Saturday night. The food was tasty and at 50% off the regular menu price. It's one of the better food deals on in lahaina. We had the crab beignets, stuffed wedge salad, chicken tempura, sausage slider, faux gras, firecracker chicken wings, brussels sprouts, and the smoked bacon croquettes. All this food for $33. The crab beignets had a lot of crab in them by still light and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. This was my favorite dish from the night and my least favorite were the Brussels sprouts which were suppose to have a vanilla component to the dish but we couldn't taste or smell any. After trying the tapas menu now I want to try the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch in LahainaUpstate1RayDined on 4/7/2014I blindly choose this restaurant while still in NY state for a place to have dinner since i would be in the area. Couldn't ask for much better service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2014Great location, great food, great service, great ambiance.Special Features:
- YUM-YUM!!!!diningout4meDined on 3/22/2014Went here with our family, including a 10 month old, and everyone loved the food here! Small plates were perfect for sharing.Special Features:
- Quality Has DecreasedDaveVIPDined on 3/22/2014We have gone to this restaurant several times last Fall and loved it. Last week, not so much. They were out of 2 of 3 Chardonnay's on their wine list with the only option being the most expensive. Local resident (kama'aina) discount no longer applies to appetizers, tapas, salads - only to entrees. Beet salad changed completely, now just small pieces of beet with lot's of lettuce.
- We will be backCarolVIPDined on 3/13/2014A nice new dining option in Lahaina. The view overlooking the harbor is lovely and we enjoyed our dinners. We plan to dine there again before leaving Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal!NonnieDined on 3/9/2014We went as a table of 10. The only issue we had was we made the reservation online and when we got there it took a good 10 to 15 minutes to set up our table. The waitress we had was excellent. She was very knowledgeable and made some really good recommendations. The food came out as it was ready instead of all at once. This worked out well for us as we were trying unfamiliar dishes so everyone got to sample a dish or two before the next came out. I am not an adventuresome diner (though others in my party are) but everything we tried was delicious. The prices are very reasonable also. On a busy night, parking is a bit of a problem. We definitely plan to eat there again prior to our departure from the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly GoodHungryInHawaiiDined on 3/8/2014Hidden away on the second floor across from the seawall, there have been several restaurants that have all failed in this location -- Lets hope this restaurant doesn't fall to the same fate. Very few people in the restaurant on a weekend evening. Our server was funny, engaging and there when we needed something. Food was all very good, from the tapas plates (perfect portions for our party of three) to our entrees, all cooked perfectly, to our shared dessert. Dessert was probably the weakest of the food times (pineapple upside down cake seemed rather bland, no real pineapple flavor). We waited longest for cocktails/beer, which, considering how it wasn't busy, was odd. Definitely worth trying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.