Straits - Houston
800 W. Sam Houston Parkway
Houston, TX 77024Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Straits - Houston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/index.php?section=69
- Phone: (713) 365-9922
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Thursday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am
Lunch Hours: Monday - Friday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch Hours: Sat & Sun 11am-3pm
Happy Hours ar the Bar/Lounge: Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Laney Tran, firstname.lastname@example.org, 7133659922x
- Entertainment: We have a live DJ who starts at 10:00pm on Thursday, Friday andSaturday nights. We also have bottle service available in our bar and lounge area.
A word from Straits - Houston
Come dine with us at Straits at our new location in Houston!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Straits - Houston - Best Restaurants in West Side ›
Straits - Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (23)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (18)romantic (13)special occasion (13)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (6)scenic view (6)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Our first timeSeAsianFunDined on 11/14/2014We were welcomed with big smiles and well dressed staff. We enjoyed the open restaurant style and the smell of Asin spices cooking in the kitchen. It's not often you get the opportunity to enjoy Singaporian food and when you do the first thing that you think of is Singapore Chili Crab. We had the, Chili Lobster. It was very good with a mild chili sauce that was just right for my wife. The Spring Rolls were light with crispy fresh vegetables. The Hoisin sauce was perfect. We tried the Murtabak and found them to be a little dry. The Indian Street Noodles were great. Again, cooked perfectly with fresh vegetables. In all, we had a great first time experience and look forward to our next visit. We think we will try the outdoor dining on a warm afternoon. Although it's not Singapore, Straits, brought back great memories (1981 - 1983) of the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay.CrystalFDined on 11/4/2014I would say our overall experience was okay..I probably won't return because I feel like theirs better restaurants out there. The food was okay the rice was probably the best thing & servers were busy joking around with each other. not to mention the server forgot about my salad order!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014This is the second time I have dined at Straits. Both times I got the chilled seafood dish. It was delish both times. Service on the patio wasn't that excellent. Don't get me wrong our waitress was very nice but I think they could use another server on the patio. Other than that both times my experience was great! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Straits is a Star!LaurieDined on 10/22/2014What an awesome Singaporean restaurant. The food was outstanding. I started with the Chef's Special, Curry Carrot Soup, which was to die for! Then I ordered the newest addition, a pork pot roast, which was enough for 2 people, accompanied by the white jasmine rice. yummy! And, a visit to Straits is not just a visit until you've had their white pineapple sangria. I would highly recommend this restaurant to any foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FusionIPFoodLoverDined on 9/23/2014Thai and Indian fusion. Great food but not for families in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and sceneVariablePalateDined on 9/22/2014Straits is a great restaurant for indoor and outdoor dining. Nice scene, food and experience. Variety of food allows one to experience different tastes, great drink selections. My go to restaurantSpecial Features:
- A little priceyLoveAsianFoodDined on 9/22/2014The service was adequate. The sauces were very good. The chili crab was on the sweeter side than I expected. When I had it by the water in Singapore, my lips were burning from the sauce. But here it was not that hot and a little disappointing. The prices seem high for the quality of food we got. Also the crab legs were not pre-cracked and made for difficult eating.Special Features:
- first time.DianaDined on 9/13/2014It was me and my family's first time going here. It was pretty good. Nothing spectacular. It was our first time having Singapore-type food, guess it all just depends on the persons taste. Service was great. The noise level is I think what did it for me- it was too loud. I'd go back, but its not ever gonna be my first choice. So great, but not that great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice atmosphereYummmmmDined on 8/26/2014Food was very flavourful and delicious. Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DEREK & MARIEANNIVERSARYDined on 8/20/2014I COULDN'T HAVE ASKED FOR A BETTER EXPERIENCE FOR OUR ANNIVERSARY AT STRAITS. THE STAFF WAS VERY FRIENDLY AND ACCOMMODATED ALL OF OUR NEEDS IN REGARDS TO DECORATING OUR RESERVED TABLE FOR AN EVEN BETTER AMBIENCE THAN THE LOUNGE ALREADY PROVIDED. WE HAD A FEW COMMENTS FROM THE STAFF AND THE OTHER CUSTOMERS THERE BUT IT WASN'T SO MUCH THAT IT BOTHERED US OR INTERRUPTED OUR NIGHT. IT WAS PERFECT. WE HAVE MULTIPLE MEMORIES THROUGHOUT OUR RELATIONSHIP TIED TO STRAITS OF HOUSTON CITY CENTRE AND I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO BE ABLE TO ADD THIS MEMORY TO THIS LIST. THANK YOU AGAIN!Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014This was our second trip to Straits and the food does not disappoint! The seafood risotto was a favorite. Fried calamari appetizer is delicious. Our waiter, while efficient, did not have great people skills. I do not understand why I cannot have a happy hour price drink while dining. You may only have happy hour pricing in the bar area which was 15 feet from our table. Our check was $178 for 5. It is a fabulous restaurant. Great outdoor seating, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Pleasant Place to DineQualityFoodVIPDined on 8/17/2014I am almost a regular! The food is always on point. The service was slower than usual but the food is so delicious you can overlook the slowness of the waiters.Special Features:
- Overlookedrcs3Dined on 8/8/2014Asian Fusion. Affordable and good. Thai infused.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go hereHoustonfoodieDined on 8/6/2014The service is terrible, it took forever to get her to let us order, she never came back by. After 10 minutes of looking for her with an empty cup we waved down another waiter to fill our glasses. One of us ordered a mixed veggie plate and they brought out tofu and asparagus. Another ordered the beef tenderloin and that was basically a plate of hoisin sauce. I had a chicken curry that was all dark meat and fatty. We waited for 15 minutes with her ticket on her to come get the check. We took it to the hostess and told her about our service, the hostess quickly gave the waitress our check. Ten minutes later the check was brought back. Nothing was done to apologize for this experience and our 100+ dollars wasted....
- The following 420 reviews are from the Straits - Houston reviews archive.
- Poor serviceDissapointed4DinnerDined on 6/29/2014I'm never in a hurry during evening meals with friends, but our unfriendly wait person's disappearing acts caused me to worry early on. She never offered another cocktail, and she seemed impatient and put out with our questions, and once she left us we knew we wouldn't see her again for an hour. The restaurant was only half full. Maybe they were short-handed? Big disappointment. I depended on the good reviews I saw online so I picked this as the spot to treat my friend for her birthday.
- MarieMarie58Dined on 6/20/2014Terrible Service ,,,,, not enough stuff,,, need to be more organizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day brunch & 21st BirthdaynYcfor21Dined on 6/15/2014Great bottomless drinks for brunch and great brunch menu!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Food wasn't as good as it looks. Food was also overpriced.Special Features:
- Nice night outTheHappyCoupleDined on 6/7/2014We were a part of four and dined outside. Our table faced the Green where a live band played oldies. The drink list was fantastic. The pear martini is a wonderful libation. e ordered the Satay and Ribs as appetizers both were very good. Each of us ordered separate entries. We all like the flavors. The service was very very good. The live music and people watching while dining was a fun experience. All in all a it was a very nice night out.Special Features:
- jacobVIPDined on 6/6/2014Best singaporean food i have had. dont miss the murtabakSpecial Features:
- DisappointingLuv2dineDined on 6/1/2014Their food was gross. I have never had Asian food I didn't like until now. Tasted like dog meat. And the restaurant was not nearly as fancy as I expected for those prices. Service was good but was scarred by the food!Special Features:
- karamdDined on 5/25/2014We have been going to Straits for a while and have always enjoyed the experience. However, this was a terrible experience. The service was poor, food was not upto standard and the food did not come together.
- East Meets West in HoustonFood4thoughtDined on 5/16/2014Having lived for a couple of years in Singapore, I'd say the food is fairly authentic. Delicious at reasonable prices. The restaurant was bustling on a Friday night, but service was good and food arrived without any delays. Recommended !!Special Features:
- OK food, understaffedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2014The food can be good here, but during our most recent visit service was basically absent for an hour. We had to go inside and wave down other waiters to order, get plates, silverware, etc. Not enough people were on hand to handle several large parties. At this price point you don't expect this to happen.Special Features:
- Wonderful Meal at Straits!JB552Dined on 4/24/2014We had a fantastic dinner on Thursday night. We made a reservation, but it didn't look too crowded so maybe you could walk in during the week. We asked to sit outside, and had a nice view of the green space at City Centre. Our waiter was EXTREMELY polite and helpful, as was any employee who stopped by our table. We had not been to this restaurant before. And our waiter gave us lots of suggestions as to what to choose. Everything was delicious. We had the Kung Pao Lollipops, which were really flavorful. We also shared a shrimp dish made with coconut rice, and some spring rolls. If this is your first visit, they bring you Roti Prata, which is like a crispy naan bread with a yummy curry dipping sauce. We will definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- My favorite spot to bring friendsPiccola918Dined on 4/19/2014The food is exotic, different and absolutely yummy!!! If u go on the weekend stay after 10, always enjoy dj Eric's choice of music, I just sit there with my sound hound. They also have a cute dancer. I always watch out for what she's going to wear next, she has different themes (ex. Lady gaga, bumble bee, etc). Just a great fun environment and again, the food is delicious. If u go try to make reservations because they will give u more attention there than on the other side which is sometimes hard to find seats and the waitresses are always in a rush. I'll remember to sit on the other side next time. Still my favorite hang out spot!!Special Features:
- Great place for Hh we stayedctianaDined on 4/4/2014Great place for Hh we stayed after and dined some more. My reservation was for 5pm. We enjoyed enough happy hour treats and they kept our table until we were ready. Great service ñ great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well, it started out ok...LagosgirlVIPDined on 4/4/2014So, we were two families trying to have a nice dinner on a Friday night. The Sangria was great and we all enjoyed our dinner. I don't think the food was outstanding but everything was tasty and well prepared. Our server was nice and did his best on a very busy night. Unfortunately, our friend had her wallet stolen out of her purse while we were at the table. The thieves were off and running with the credit cards while we continued to enjoy our conversations. The manager and waiter helped us look for the wallet and were very apologetic even though it wasn't their fault and there was clearly nothing they could do about it. It totally ruined the evening for us.Special Features:
- Server was extremely knowledgableHampasterDined on 3/27/2014Server was extremely knowledgable about the menu, offered suggestions, gave time to decide, great during meal. Great variety in menu, everything was fantastic. Pleasantly surprised, great find in City Centre. We met for a business dinner here and it was a little loud for that type setting, but if you were looking for a good night out, highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurpriseddonnintxDined on 3/22/2014I really enjoyed the experience, food was great, we enjoyed the Dragon menu very much. The waitress was extremely pleasant can;t wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Changed?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/19/2014I've dined at Straits before and was very pleased. This event was on a Wednesday evening and it was horrible. The staff was unattentive or overattentive depending on the comments we made.Special Features:
- Excellent Food - average serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014Our meal was outstanding. Interesting presentation and comes flavors. However, the prices were excessive given the type of food provided. When they allowed a man dressed in a faded tee shirt, worn out shorts and flip flops to be served, I realized the restaurent is more about money than the food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantlamc06Dined on 3/14/2014Chose Straits to celebrate my partner birthday. Since she lived in Asia I thought it would be nice for her to remember the food and flavors from that region. It was a winner. She told me she found the food very much like the food she used to eat in Singapore so I was very please with the electionSpecial Features:
- Fantastic place to eatDavidVIPDined on 3/12/2014We have been to Straits several times now and each time has been great. The varied Southeast Asia menu is fantastic and everything we have tried is excellent. I recommend sharing family style in order to enjoy more of the varied flavors. Some of our favorites are the chicken sate, eggplant, basil chicken, and spicy prawns. They also have Singapore favorites like Chili Crab and Black Pepper Lobster. Service is excellent too, as if you are in Southeast Asia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too ComplicatedNanaBDined on 3/8/2014Menu was too complicated with regard to "unique" food combinations. Tried to be too fancy. I like fusion food, but honestly couldn't get an idea from the menu what I might actually be served. Suggestion: take a photo of each entre like they do in Asian countries so that we know what we're getting when we order!!!Special Features:
- Coconut Rice was Everything!SOMUDined on 2/28/2014Visited Straits for brother's birthday dinner and it was GREAT! The appetizer sampler was AWESOME! Only complaint was that the veggie portion of appetizer was touching the meat, so my sister who is a vegetarian was completely turned off and didn't eat the veggie samososa, which of course was AMAZING. There are reviews that praise the cocktails, but my martini was just ok. The COCUNUT RICE was EVERYTHING! We had the seafood risotto, salt and pepper chicken, and veggie fried rice. All was wonderful and will be back soon. Oh yeah... some reviews said servers were snoody, but the guy we had was very patient and kind even though we took FOREVER to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service, tasteless foodoutforlunchDined on 2/18/2014Came here for lunch with work. Had booked a table, which turned out it was no reason for - the restaurant was almost empty. After our lunch it's very clear why this restaurant has so few guests compared to the other City Centre restaurants. Firstly, several they didn't have several dishes on the menu. Our waiter apologized by "we didn't have them yesterday either" which just confirmed the poor logistics. Secondly, 10 min after we've ordered the food, the waiter came back to confirm the order - it was obvious that he'd forgotten one of my co-workers order. When the food came, only three out of four got our dishes. Lastly, it took us close to 30 min to pay - in an empty restaurant! Will never come back.
- StraitsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2014Really good dining experience. Would recommend to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious, but weHoraclesVIPDined on 2/15/2014Food was delicious, but we were given a table close to the bar, and music was so loud it was really hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- ServiceLilFootSr1Dined on 2/14/2014Upon night in question. The waited who wait on me and my wife was very rude and unknowable of what he was doing. Not attentive to our needs.