5214 Ballard Avenue Northwest
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://stoneburnerseattle.com/
- Phone: 2066952051
- Payment Options: Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Stoneburner
New Italian Restaurant in Seattle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Stoneburner - Best Restaurants in Ballard / Fremont ›
Stoneburner reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (54)special occasion (31)hot spot (30)good for groups (29)romantic (26)vibrant bar scene (25)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (20)great for lunch (15)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- Stoneburner great Ballard spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Thy actually read my reservation note/request and the service was amazing! I love returning because the menu always has something new and delicious. This time the super tender pork was amazing but last fall's cauliflower ravioli is still my all time favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experiencePleasebeexceptionalDined on 8/17/2014We wanted a casual but nice dining experience and great food. Stoneburner was an excellent choice. We loved the variety, freshness and quality of each dish and the service was fun, friendly and helpful for first timers. The steak and pork chop were excellent, as were our salad and veggie choices. The tastes linger and entice - we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This was the first time dining at Stoneburner, and we had a great experience all the way around. The table was ready for us right at our reservation time. It was a great table right near the open-front of the restaurant. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable - the food was amazing! We had the salmon special - cooked to perfection with light seasoning. Short rib pappardelle - very nice, had a wood-fired pizza - delish. All the dishes were beautifully prepared and very flavorful.Special Features:
- wanted to like itmrnibblesDined on 8/16/2014the few times i've been to Stoneburner for drinks the service was excellent the drinks were great and the appetizers were very tasty. I'm hoping my dinner there recently was a freak occurrence because the entrees were so over-salted that they were practically inedible. I will have to go again for a wider sample base. :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free HeavenbrowshaperDined on 8/14/2014I have only had lunch at this spot the one other time I dined, and this time dinner. Both were great experiences. I think they found the servers with the very best personalities on the planet to work at this place. Also, if you are allergic to gluten, this place is heaven. Lots of options. Good for Paleo folks, too. Love love love.Special Features:
- very expensive and poor serviceakq1Dined on 8/11/2014Service was painfully slow. Had two $10 meatball specials (good but very small portion), beet salad and one beer ave it came out to more than $50.
- WHAT A SPECIAL PLACE!!TAOSDined on 8/10/2014Requested a special table for a special event and we were not disappointed! We were greeted enthusiastically - our waitress and the host made our evening feel very special. The food was interesting and extremely good! We had a wonderful evening - this is indeed a special place for a special event. Ambience is lovely!Special Features:
- great food!ballardbabyVIPDined on 8/2/2014The pork chop is the best that I've ever tasted! It was cooked perfectly with an amazing rub on top and served with string beans and fried green tomatoes. My wife had the fish of the day which was salmon and she said it was simply delicious. We also had a refreshing snap pea salad and the heirloom tomato salad. An outstanding meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningdivaVIPDined on 7/25/2014I was here for my birthday lunch with my family and the service was wonderful the food was great it was this sunny day in Seattle. I couldn't been happier.I wanted to stick with vegetables for lunch and I had the most amazing cauliflower vegetable dish. I also ordered the snap peas that were sliced thin on the diagonal with almonds in a very light dressing. They are wonderful too. my husband have a meatball sandwich artist very good in my sons had the burger which they really enjoyed to. I would definitely go back for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service good ambiance, but $$$seattlestephVIPDined on 7/22/2014I thought it was ok food but the price was a real put off. I thought the per glass wine offerings were a little on the high side. I ordered the meatballs and they were ok but again, I think I expected more. My husband's pizza was burnt but he was so hungry that he just decided to keep it. I must say the service was impeccable and the vibe of the place is awesome. Those two things are the only reason I would consider coming back.Special Features:
- Fantastic!LisaVIPDined on 7/9/2014Everything we ate was delicious.This sliced meats on the charcuterie plate were excellent, but pricey. Salads were fantastic, but pricey--the fig vinaigrette on the blistered gem lettuces was delicious. The frisee and endive was also fabulous. Entrees were priced fairly. I had the ricotta cavatelli-superb. Our son had the spicy salami fusilli--outstanding. My husband had the sausage pizza. Excellent. But probably the best part was this hazelnut piazza for dessert. OMG! The best chocolate dessert I have ever had. It was like a dense mousse. We also had the fresh cherry cobbler with fennel ice cream which was also to die for. The entrees were fairly priced. The salads were pricey as was the charcuterie plate. All the food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place but poor servicejibsterDined on 6/30/2014Good food, nice ambiance but the wait staff continuously tried to remove food plates and drinks that we were unfinished without first asking if we were done. This was especially annoying because the place had many empty tables as we were there after lunch but before dinner so there was no need and it makes the patron feel that they're being rushed out. And when you have to tell them more than once, "I'm not finished with that yet" you do wonder if you'd want to return.
- Brunch in BallardSeaTownJoeDined on 6/28/2014This was our first visit to Stoneburner for brunch and I thought it was very successful. The French Toast with Sausages was an amazing bread pudding that a huge slab is cut from then cooked like a traditional French toast. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Sunny day in paradiseOutandaboutDined on 6/22/2014We had a great dinner experience at Stoneburner; our server was personable and professional, we got the best seat in the house in a bar booth, open to the outdoors with their sliding window wall. This chef has a way with veggies and side dishes. Everything was unique, beautifully presented, and you leave satisfied but not heavy and stuffed.Special Features:
- Stoneburner is a winner!issyfoodieDined on 6/21/2014We have dined at Stoneburner three times since they opened and each time has been terrific. The menu is always changing to incorporate seasonal produce, some of which is grown in the roof top garden at Bastille, as well as fabulous housemade charcuterie and whatever great fresh items are available. The dishes are inventive and delicious and you can either go with small plates to share or with larger entrees. The service is always good and several of the wait staff remembered us from our previous visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJTeatsDined on 6/21/2014Glad I made a reservation because it was busy. Clearly a neighborhood gem, great selection of drinks. My lingcod was cooked perfectly and the Fusilli was excellent. Nice job! See you again soon.Special Features:
- Good food, bad noiseLuckyLaniVIPDined on 6/20/2014The food was great and the service was fine, if a bit slow, but the noise level was unbearable. Never mind that you couldn't have a conversation, earplugs were actually called for. Suggest requesting to sit either outside on a nice day or in one of the booths behind the reception podium and across from the kitchen, where the noise level seemed to be more realistic.Special Features:
- Excellent!!Guy1Dined on 6/19/2014Great good, great service, good wines, and great location opening out into Ballard Ave! We did the cheese and meat plate, salad, cauliflower, (amazing!), and pizza. I was worried after reading reviews that we would not have enough food. It was all great and we ended up leaving a piece of pizza! Absolutely have to start with the meat & cheese board!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiscoveryVinoguyVIPDined on 6/19/2014This one year old restaurant is an absolute gem. Furnished with fascinating pieces discovered during the owners' world travels, the innovative food is equal to the very charming ambience. Priced fairly, as well. And bright employees who are genuinely friendly.Special Features:
- Fabulous new spotMg98119Dined on 6/14/2014Love this place! Have been twice and had a great time (and fantastic food) on both occasions. The menu is really interesting, with a definite Italian bent, though I think of it more as just a small plates restaurant. The pork chop is amazing (though huge), and the deep-fried olives are also not to be missed. They also have a rotating charcuterie & cheese selection with some really interesting options. Wine list is also good. Very Italian-focused, and super reasonably priced (most bottles in the 40-70 range, with some nicer options). Highly recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Thought the food, service and decor were excellent.Special Features:
- Fun evening out for birthdayLovesYumsDined on 5/30/2014I took my husband here to celebrate his birthday (left the kids home with a sitter!), and we had a lovely time. The food was delicious and fresh and innovative, and our server was very sweet and attentive. It was a good place for a date. We had a table, but sitting at the bar would also have been fine. A friend has said that it is also family friendly, which is nice. We went around 8 p.m., and we didn't see any families. It seemed like everyone was having a good time! Also, even though the food is high quality, the service is well-paced. No long wait for the food; just enough time to enjoy some conversation. Thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another sign Ballard is coming up!BobbyDined on 5/30/2014Food was very good. Service was very good (sommelier was superior). I did not find it noisy but it certainly was bustling as one would expect from a busy restaurant. I found the permanent pizza tray on the table a bit unnecessary since we weren't having pizza but it did not significantly distract from the otherwise great night. I will go back.Special Features:
- Hip foodpear8headDined on 5/24/2014There were four of us - all of us over 60 yrs. of age, which meant we were just about the oldest people in the joint! None-the-less, we each ordered two items off the menu to share. Most of them were great! The fav of the night was definitely the shaved asparagus salad with nigella seeds - YUMMMM. Pizza was so-so, pastas (penne and bucattini) were very good - caesar salad less than memorable, but the roasted cauliflower was a hit! Just wish the noise level was a bit lower - could barely hear the waitress. We had 7:15 p.m. reservations and spent 1 1/hrs dining - all in all, enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- 2nd Time and Just as Good!seamagDined on 5/24/2014We were a party of four celebrating 2 birthdays so we wanted someplace where we knew we would not be disappointed and we were very happy! Asparagus pizza, 3 different salads, charcuterie board and the semolina tart for dessert. All wonderful. Just know that it is "lively" there - meaning a high noise level - but even for us 60-somethings not too high as we could hear each other talk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JumpingJBDined on 5/23/2014The restaurant was beautiful and the food was AMAZING. This was my second time at Stoneburner, the first being for brunch and the food was outstanding both times. The staff were knowledgeable and helpful. We have already planned to come back and told our friends as well about this wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Crowded, popular, too warm, too loud, but excellent food. The service was friendly and efficient. We arrived 15 minutes early and with one less than planned for in our party. It's a nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 143 reviews are from the Stoneburner reviews archive.
- love this placegjdinerDined on 4/25/2014The décor is just the right amount of sophistication without stuffiness. Even when full it was vibrant but not too loud. Excellent food. Not sure how they stuff those olives, but they are wonderful. Great pizza, salad...all of it good. The only negative was that we were seated at a booth with a fixed shelf for presenting pizzas. That should be removable if you are not ordering pizza but would like to have a conversation.Special Features:
- A Nice Surprise in Old Ballardmd4realDined on 4/24/2014Dressed up like an antique but actually brand new, it was a very fun place to eat. The menu is a bit limited and too much emphasis on "hot spicy" things (like why would the chocolate dipping sauce for the donuts need to be laced in chili pepper or the sausage pizza leave my mouth on fire?) but the food was beautifully prepared, interesting and nicely presented. And our waiter was a hoot and very helpfulSpecial Features:
- EasterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Food was outstanding! Sevice was superior and it's a great atmosphere. Will definetly be back.Special Features:
- Good Brunch SpotFoodGalVIPDined on 4/20/2014We had a wonderful Easter brunch at Stoneburner. The menu has a wide variety of options and everything we ordered at the table was delicious.Special Features:
- Perfect Birthday Dinner!h2hwithfoodDined on 4/17/2014Went here for the last day of Seattle Restaurant Week & my birthday, it was the perfect atmosphere, classy, beautiful decor, spacious, not too loud. the service wasn't pushy like they were trying to hurry you. the food was AMAZING, wonderful, complex flavors, a great wine list. all in all in amazing restaurant!!Special Features:
- Perfect date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2014We had a wonderful time at Stoneburner. The prix fix menu was delightful. The service was good, although it was very loud and our server was very quiet. The only complaint I had was we were celebrating a special occasion I had detailed in my reservation and it went unacknowledged :-(. Otherwise I highly recommend Stoneburner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and pleasedDinaVIPDined on 4/15/2014It's on the $$$ side but the anchovy crostini and kale salad were fabulous. The decor is really cool and the bartender is happy to talk about the history of each detail. Great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro food with Italian leaningsTroyDined on 4/6/2014Bistro menu w/ daily specials. Beet salad w/ blood orange & olives, daily special green salad w/ spicy dressing and Calabrian sausage and olive pizza. Beet salad was excellent w/ nice earthy and acid balance. The green salad was fresh & the spicy dressing was well suited & sparse (better sparse, so you can actually taste the greens). The pizza was cooked perfectly, great eye appeal, the crust was good, but lacked some of the semolina taste that should be present. The tomato sauce was good, but not as much tomato flavor as expected. The sausage was flavorful, not spicy (which might have been a nice lift) and proportioned properly to limit greasiness. The cheese was fresh, but lacked any discernible flavor. Mostly couples and familiesSpecial Features:
- Food was not great.MavenLaneVIPDined on 4/6/2014We had read some reviews saying the food was so-so.We went for brunch on a Sunday, we ordered a cinnamon roll for the table to share - and it was dry, and didn't taste freshly baked, even though we were there right as the place opened. I had the eggs, bacon and focaccia plate. The best thing was the focaccia. The food was just not great. I wouldn't return. Too bad because the location and the interior are great - but the food needs to improve - by a lot.
- Better than expectedrainierVIPDined on 4/4/2014Great food. Good selection to choose from that compliment each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasionJMfoodieDined on 3/29/2014We took friends here for a belated birthday dinner. Service was perfect - very informative and didn't hover or forget us. Pasta, fish, and steak entrees were done perfectly. "Cold cuts" and cheese are a must. Overall great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine ingredients/atmosphereKimjiDined on 3/29/2014Beautifully reconstructed atmosphere reminds one of NY/Chicago. Food is excellent and a good place to satisfy vegetarians as well as others. friendly people and a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night at StoneburnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2014The food we had was ok, and we were not raving about it. We felt it took a long time for the waiter to get to us once we were seated, and initially we weren't happy with that. Yes, it was busy, but we didn't even get water or anything. When he finally did make it to us, the waiter was able to make up for it with his good service. Overall, his work was good, and compensated for the delay in service. As far as the food, we ordered pizza, and we did not find it all that good, as the crust was too dry, and it felt like we were eating crackers. They need to get that right. Can't speak for the other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.