State & Lemp
2870 West State Street
Boise, ID 83702Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
State & Lemp
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://stateandlemp.com/
- Phone: 2084296735x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jay Henry
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: State & Lemp will cater special events for special people on special occasions. Please contact Remi McManus directly to discuss details.
- Private Party Facilities: State & Lemp is perfectly set up to host private functions. Please contact Remi McManus directly to discuss details.
- Private Party Contact: Remi Mcmanus 2084296735x
- Special Events: State & Lemp is perfectly set up to host special events. Please contact Remi McManus directly to discuss details.
A word from State & Lemp
Welcome to State & Lemp we are a small contemporary american restaurant featuring an ever evolving prix fixe menu based on seasonal goods. Our menu and restaurant showcase local and regional farmers, ranchers, artists and craftsmen. We also offer a carefully selected 5-course wine pairing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
State & Lemp - Best Restaurants in Boise ›
State & Lemp reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)special occasion (41)neighborhood gem (21)romantic (16)good for groups (16)hot spot (11)notable wine list (9)late-night find (1)Show More
- FantasticHawkDined on 9/6/2014I don't give many five star reviews, but this fully deserved it. A unique and special dining experience in Boise. We enjoyed watching the quiet dance in the kitchen as our food was prepared. Thanks very much.Special Features:
- Have a bucket list? Start here...bonbonsDined on 8/30/2014This little gem is Iron chef meets Van Gogh, meets Bill Nye the science guy.... It's a place where you are the star, and you are completely and utterly spoiled on every level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- divine encounter for all 5 sensesFoodWineDogsDined on 8/30/2014YES YES YES. this is sophisticated, intimate, modern dining, but it's not stuffy. the food is delicious, creative, deconstructed at turns, playful at others. attention to detail is evident everywhere: stunning light fixtures, delicate silver teaspoons from a customer, artful plating, and the professional, outstanding service that you expect but don't always receive in our town. the owner visited with us after almost every course; everything here is very personal. there is only a fixed-price menu with optional wine pairings, and the menu changes every few weeks. State & Lemp is not just dinner, it's an experience, and there's nothing else like it in Boise.Special Features:
- Food, service, furnishings great.ProfessionalChefDined on 8/30/2014Ambiance cold, modern, unfriendly. Extremely noisy. Had to shout to talk to the persons next to me. The ambiance can be improved with sound absorbing materials. These can be applied without losing the existing Ambiance. The decoration is ultra modern and lovely in its own way. Puts off people in the older age group who like inviting decore. Food, service impecable. The wine selection for the third course did not complement the food. I was surprised at this as the rest was so professional. An absolutely special and unique experience. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinersDined on 8/29/2014Amazing, thoughtful,and creative menu. Wonderful,personalized service.Special Features:
- unique and qualityHelpmanreviewDined on 8/28/2014Great social restaurant with a very friendly hands on staff. Fixed menu was very good overall and attention to food quality was very apparent. The wine pairings complemented the food presentations very well. We will be returning for a future special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeYum44Dined on 8/20/2014Great food and ambiance , excellent for foodies . Amazing wines and wonderful service . You can't ask for more .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Experience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Was an outstanding experience. Exceeded our expectations in every area. We will definitely be back when we are in the Boise area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in BoiseBOINYCORDVIPDined on 8/9/2014State and Lemp brings an unparalleled dining experience to Boise. Remi and his team have thought through every detail to create an environment that is both experimental and welcoming. The price point is excellent for the quality of cuisine and service you receive. State and Lemp also strives to be a collaborative leader in the Boise community partnering with multiple breweries, wineries, farms and local artists to extend and expand the creative qualities in our Valley. I am so happy and proud State and Lemp exists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best culinary experience in BoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014It's that good, nothing else is even close. I've been in Boise 25 years, single best dinner I've had here.Special Features:
- A home run!BoiseFoodieDined on 8/2/2014This was our second visit and it was just as good as the first time. So many interesting flavors and combinations! The best restaurant in Idaho in my opinion.Special Features:
- Outstanding!HungryintheATLDined on 7/25/2014We are visiting Boise from Atlanta with friends. We decided to give the pre fixe, 5 course restaurant a try. This dinner was a home run! We loved it all - the food, the wine pairings, the staff and owners, the family style seating, the unpretentious but lovely setting, and the attention to every detail! The family style seating showcased the best of Boise - it's friendly, fun and accomplished residents! The folks around us were amazing people who made us feel welcome - even an impromptu tour and wine tasting at one couple's new home! The dinner was excellent - as good as I've had anywhere from Europe, to NYC, California and in between - amazing tastes and flavors in every dish. Put a dinner here on your bucket list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing like itJeanneandGeorgeDined on 7/24/2014As the header states, there is nothing like this in Boise. This is a foodie paradise! Portions just right, taste buds will have a field day. These youngsters really want to be successful and my wife and I will certainly support their efforts. Can't wait for their next menu change. We'll be there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in Treasure Valleygirya411Dined on 7/23/2014The website was really pretentious and I had some doubts but I feel they delivered solidly. The friendliness, personal accessibility, and clear explanations by the staff really made it a down to earth experience. The food incorporated molecular gastronomic techniques that I haven't experienced in this part of the world before. My only food quibble-- you can't go wrong with pork belly, but I felt that the wateriness of the accompanying stuff was not harmonious. Everything else pretty much was. My one big beef with S&L was the "community dining" experience. It's a small restaurant-- I get that-- but I really hate having to sit next to total strangers. I also agree with the Idaho Statesman review-- a $5 charge for coffee? UnnecessarySpecial Features:
- Just amazingHenryHoundDined on 7/18/2014You cannot find food like this anywhere else in the Treasure Valley. Fresh, locally sourced, imaginative and well-tested, the food at State & Lemp, from concept to execution to presentation, is as good as it gets. The wine pairings are pretty adventurous and spot-on as well.Special Features:
- Fine dining..returned to Boise....BethVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is a foodie place. You don't order; you are served from the daily menu plus several other little 'treats.' Outstanding cuisine, service, attention, wine pairing and Madelines (French Butter Cakes in different flavors) to take home with you each night! Both nights I've dined here, we've met and chatted with other diners. Always interesting people seeking out interesting food experiences. This place is not for the steak and potatoes crowd. It's for the Alina, Grace, French Laundry (all in the US) gang at 1/4 of those prices. Great pricing for what, in most other America cities, would cost more than $400 a piece. It's about $125 per person with the wonderful wine pairing and you leave not overstuffed or too drunk. All just right!Special Features:
- Overall excellent experience.buhlboyVIPDined on 7/10/2014The only real foodie experience in Boise. Excellent wine pairings with the food. A little pretentious (a tad annoying) in the protocol of explaining each course as the courses are served. Could be better done with the explanation before any dish is served at the beginning of dinner verbally or in writing.Special Features:
- We were thrilled!HAPPYDined on 7/3/2014It was the best dining experience we have every had in Boise! We were greeted at the door like we had arrived at the home of a friend and made to feel so very welcome! The carefully chosen art made mingling w/others & conversation effortless which progressed the feeling of being welcome guests. The food was incredible! A well thought out menu in which each course flowed into the next & was pleasing to all the senses, colorful & beautifully presented, aromatic & exploding flavor while maintaining fantastic balance on the palate Appropriate & thoughtful portions satisfied perfectly! The State & Lemp crew are exceptionally personable & approachable, educating & FUN! We left VERY HAPPY and looking forward to visiting again!Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration Success!Verympressed418Dined on 6/27/2014Quality of food, intricacy of preparation and wine pairings were outstanding! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most creative food in BoiseRoyalwulffDined on 6/18/2014The chef is on the leading edge of food prep techniques. The result is a rare journey through tastes and textures that will please the eye and palate. The staff are knowledgeable and attentive. It is a unique experience in Boise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boise new GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014State and Lemp is an amazing addition to the Boise dining scene. Quite unique with specialty menu items, attentive and engaging staff, décor simply elegant with local art and sleek design, and perfect food/wine pairings. Attention to detail is their winning style.Special Features:
- An Experiencelilnipper90Dined on 6/7/2014Dining at State and Lemp was unforgettable. The unique food and wine was impeccably paired and guests were greeted at the door with a glass of champagne. The service was gracious and professional but not in the least bit aloof or snobby. I have always dreamed of dining at a restaurant like Noma or El Bulli where the beauty of the dishes and combinations of familiar and exotic delight and surprise. How fortunate for Boise to have this experience right here at home! State and Lemp will inspire you to look at food and ingredients in a whole new light.Special Features:
- hoonanVIPDined on 6/6/2014By far the best restaurant in Boise (and probably Idaho).Special Features:
- Exquisite experience!NinjaDined on 6/5/2014Sooo very well done. Fresh ideas executed seamlessly. What a rare gem in Boise! Keep it up and everyone wins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccassionsHappyDined on 6/5/2014Very unique experience. A meal you are unlikely to get anywhere else in Boise - and probably anywhere in Idaho. Great table service. Very attentive and smart. Great work! Perfect for the 'special occasion!' A point I must make even though it should be unnecessary in a quality restaurant: every glass and piece of silverware was clean and smudge free (and with wine pairings this ended up being a lot of glasses). That is (unfortunately) not typical - regardless of the price you pay - at dining establishments in Boise. It is that level of intelligence that make this a place worth the pricey tab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's in the details!FidelGastroDined on 5/31/2014As you arrive, as you dine, and as each course is served you will recognize the exceptional attention to details by the State and Lemp crew. The food is delicious, creative, and elegantly presented. The service was outstanding. Everything about our experience was positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Event diningMarkVIPDined on 5/31/2014The prix fixe menu with wine is excellent for a unique experience. The wine and loud setting lend to a party / event atmosphere. We had a great time and were glad we were there with another couple. Alone, you would feel left out of the party. I am a light eater and was not full at the end, so a normal man would be hungry. Be prepared to pay double what you would pay at another nice restaurant in town.Special Features:
- Great Foodie ExperienceIdahoFoodieDined on 5/28/2014The presentation and service here are both outstanding. The food was also incredible. The only reason I did not give 5 stars across the board is that I was expecting an intimate experience with my wife. You have to know that there is just one group/long table that everyone sits at. If you are gregarious and social this is awesome and you can talk to people around you. If you are not as outgoing or looking for a more intimate experience this is probably not the right ambiance for you. Having said that I'm outgoing and had a great time meeting the people next to us but it was our anniversary and was hoping for it to be romantic dinner with my wife.Special Features:
- Happy Anniversary At State & LempColleenDined on 5/28/2014My husband and I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary by treating ourselves to a night out at State & Lemp. We loved our experience there. We were a little skeptical at first when we heard that the tables are very close together but once there we really enjoyed that feature since it made for a more community feeling with the other couples in the restaurant. We were all chatting and getting to know one another in between courses and comparing notes on the food. The food was AMAZING and they even threw in an extra course made of local Morrel mushrooms that was to die for. The staff are so friendly and knowledgeable and they really make you feel at home from the moment you get there and all the way through until you leave. LOVED IT!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of a kind in Boise, for nowartMusicDined on 5/24/2014Boise does not have anyplace like State and Lemp for now. The menu is changed often and the diner is presented with one or two prix-fixe menu choices, and the option of adding a wine pairing. The night my wife and a friend and I dined, we found each of the dishes and the wines to be really excellent, including one quite phenomenally original and profoundly impressive pairing. The pace, quality, friendliness and efficiency of the service were world class. Altogether a rich and satisfying experience for those who appreciate creative modern cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save up!Aidanry208Dined on 5/24/2014What an experience! State & Lemp provided an exquisite dining experience that cannot be found anywhere else in Boise. The food was incredible and nicely paired with wine. Make sure you save up!! The bill was rather shocking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occassion DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014As enjoyable as our evening was, a bit too much alcohol, not enough food. A bit too noisy, hard to hear conversation. We would rather have had our very high dinner tab go to more food, less booze. Other than that, very fun taste treats, creative, energetic menu-- Unfortunate that we cannot make it a 'regular' spot, due to the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the State & Lemp reviews archive.
- A Dining ExperienceLiketoTryDined on 5/16/2014A very creative meal. Fresh, inventive and delicious.Special Features:
- A MUSTLbrodenDined on 5/16/2014We had heard great reviews and decided to try on our anniversary. It lived up to all expectations and more. Great food & wonderful service. A unique dining experience that I will definitely be back to again. For special occasions this is at the top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeboiDined on 5/15/2014The noice level was extreme we could not carry on a conversation. The service was great. The food was interesting but very over priced. I would not recommend it to our friends.
- Over RatedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/9/2014Great concept and setting (for Boise) -- but the dishes & wine pairing(s) were very mediocre for the $. For a prix fixed menu - the service between courses was extreme slow (vs continuity tempo) and drawn out. If this place is going to cater to foodies -- it needs to do some serious homework on the wine list...Special Features:
- Fabulous evening for a groupFoodwinefoodwineDined on 5/3/2014The food at State & Lemp is outstanding. As is the presentation and the service. It is unrivaled in Boise. That said, it is not a restaurant for a date or for couple just wanting to connect. The seating in a group setting lends itself to a party and communal event. It is somewhat odd to have such an extraordinary dinner with strangers. While I love experiences like that, an extravagant meal such as this seems an awkward fit with the social style of seating.Special Features:
- Mmmmm for Menu X!JoeyDined on 4/30/2014The entire dining experience was unique, the food was like a work of art and beautifully served. Did I mention that the food was superb -- a perfect 10 and I do mean PERFECT! Everything was so fresh and inviting. The entire dining experience felt like a labor of love that this gifted team joyfully shared with their guests. Elegant but with a relaxed, casual feel. The building is beautiful with clean lines and touches of art throughout. The handmade furniture is substantial and lends much warmth to the setting. The food, our hosts, and chefs all rate a "10" for the best fine dining experience ever. Again, the FOOD.....!Special Features:
- Perfectly Lovely DiningRomeoandMikeDined on 4/16/2014Perhaps because it was a Wednesday evening, or perhaps because it was the start of a new menu, there were six of us dining that evening. The ambiance was simple and elegant. The service was outstanding, the wine pairings were perfect and the food was amazing. Not only were the servings pleasing to the palate, they were beautifully presented. The entire experience was memorable.Special Features:
- Fantastic experience!LunchBOXdebiDined on 4/5/2014Delishious food, perfect presentation, expert staff and delightful ambience. Will definitely return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.