Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
495 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://starsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435770100x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar Hours: 4pm-2am, 7 days a week
Sunday- Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Saturday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Nathan Thurston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room
Stars Rooftop & Grill Room brings the art of live fire cooking to Charleston. Executive Chef Joe Dimaio exemplifies an artistic appreciation for live fire cooking by focusing on the details of each dish – the seasoning, balance, pairing and presentation. The restaurant has a full bar and grill room on the first floor and event space on the second floor. The rooftop bar has a 360-degree view of downtown Charleston and can accommodate up to 140 people. Dedicated to serving locally sourced food within 100 miles of Charleston, Stars’ food and beverage menus are fresh and seasonal. Stars brings a new tradition of open flame cuisine to Charleston and is not to be missed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Stars Restaurant - Rooftop & Grill Room reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (77)vibrant bar scene (70)good for groups (65)fit for foodies (63)hot spot (51)romantic (39)notable wine list (37)scenic view (28)neighborhood gem (26)great for brunch (25)late-night find (20)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- So disappointedcharlottebugDined on 8/28/2014I had high expectations since it such a beautiful place. But the food didn't live up to the atmosphere. It was cold and without flavor. Trout was over cooked. Okra looked good, but tasted like styrofoam. Really disappointed.
- Awesome experience!GinGreenDined on 8/23/2014Our party of six sincerely enjoyed dinner on busy Saturday night in the heart of downtown Charleston.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealjerricaDined on 8/23/2014We really enjoyed our first visit to this restaurant. Food was excellent, especially the duck bun appetizers. Service was also excellent, our waiter checked on us and was knowledgeable about the menu. The Saturday night that we went, we also noticed multiple bachelorette parties going on so it seems like a hip place. I highly recommend the Pluff Mud Pudding dessert!Special Features:
- Another incredible dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Another great dinner experience at Stars! This resturant is our new "go to". We bring all our guest there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soJeffDined on 8/19/2014The service was great. The food was mediocre at best. We got the mussels for a appetizer which were good but I got the lobster grits and wasn't impressed at all the lobster was grossly overcooked the best part of the dish was the cauliflower. I talked to people at work the next day and they experienced the same thing. Great service with mediocre food.
- Great foodDewdealerDined on 8/16/2014This was second time at Stars. We have enjoyed both times and food was excellent. We can't afford it regularly as it is rather pricy, but for special occasions we enjoy it.Special Features:
- great brunch with nice atmosphereGlogirlDined on 8/16/2014Our family and friends met at Stars Restaurant for brunch. Some of us had not been together for 20 years! Everyone enjoyed the large selection at the brunch and even the children were happy with the choices they were able to make. As we arrived, everyone greeted us, we had great service, and as we left, they let us know how much they appreciated our patronage. We WILL return!Special Features:
- AlcarrDined on 8/15/2014GREAT rooftop bar with delicious cocktails. Restaurant served outstanding food and had a great wine selection, but the service could have been better for this level of dining. Also, our party of 7 was seated at a booth for 6 with a chair at the end. The booth was only open on one end so it was difficult and inconvenient to get in and out of the booth. The people sitting on the far end of the booth couldn't even hear the waitress. Overall, great dining experience but would have expected a more attentive waitress for the price. It was difficult to get the waitress's attention and she had to be reminded of requests several times. I shouldn't have to request a refill on water and then eat my meal without water at a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlestonfoodieDined on 8/9/2014Great Food and EXCELLENT service. We dine out very frequently and are always trying new spots and this has to be one of our favorites for food. Noise level is high so if you are there to chat it can be rather difficult on rainy days.Special Features:
- awesome experiencelovelyambianceDined on 8/9/2014This has actually been our second time but the entire ambiance and service was great... The food was outstanding...I will telling friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very upbeat, with great food.OccasionalDiningDined on 8/8/2014Upon arriving, I could immediately tell it was a local hotspot, and although it was rather noisy at first, but we were very easily moved to a better seat with no fuss at all. Our server was very nice, and our food came quickly and was very well presented, and tasted fantastic. The wine list was extensive, and we enjoyed it immensely. I would suggest it to anyone who is interested in a place with good food as well as a energetic, upbeat ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJVBIIIDined on 8/8/2014Not what we expected. We're hoping for a more relaxed, quiet dining experience and had requested a quiet table. Very loud, we're seated next to a large group and was difficult to have a private conversation. Waiter was competent but no personality, food only fair. Many better dining options in Charleston.Special Features:
- ToneymomDined on 8/5/2014We started with a drink on the rooftop--bartender was friendly and engaging. The rooftop was nice although it lacked a great view of the city. Next we went inside the restaurant and had a delightful meal. Our waiter was very helpful in his recommendations (mushroom risotto was delicious as was the bacon tater tots as an appetizer!) The atmosphere was energetic and fun yet romantic at the same time. We would definitely recommend Stars.Special Features:
- Starsmel4659Dined on 8/3/2014I thought it was very good, but we were disappointed the roof isn't for dining when we were specifically looking for rooftop dining. It didn't diminish the food though. The bull oyster appetizer was the favorite, and wine on tap is unique!Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening at StarsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We couldn't have asked for a better dinner experience! Our server, Phillip,was outstanding in every way - very knowledgable, professional, and giving us the perfect "pace" to our dinner. We will return often to try some of the other offerings on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Only ate here once and found the restaurant to be very nice and upscale, which is what I was looking for. The service was excellent. My problem was with the menu selection, didn't care for the selection of side items served with the entrees. And the grilled salmon was not as great as I would have expected. A very nice place and will probably try again sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just okUStrvlrerwith4kidsDined on 8/1/2014We were unable to get reservations anywhere. This was available. No kids menu. Unlike many other great resturants. Limited menu. Food was good. Very loud...would try something next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationFineDineDined on 7/26/2014We had the bruschetta special containing hand made sausage and peppers and onions topped with cheese. It was cooked perfectly and the presentation was wonderful-delicious too! We visited the roof top bar and has great service even with their limited alcohol choices. It was hot but we found a cool place in the shade with a fan blowing making it very relaxing. We didn't have any drinks with dinner as we had them upstairs before dinner. The scallops were big! Yes, you only get three but they were cooked to perfection and the other veggies on the plate helped make it a filling meal. The 6oz. sirloin with grits was cooked and presented beautifully! I could see how this would get mixed reviews but we had a wonderful time! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Not my kind of menubergerqueenDined on 7/23/2014I am not a foodie nor am I a fan of low country cooking which makes it tough living in Charleston. Finding food that's not spicy or heavy here is difficult so please understand my review based on my personal tastes. I had the mushroom risotto with asparagus. the flavor was great but unmentioned on the menu, it had a heavy dose of cracked pepper. My husband's spit roasted chicken was way too smokey flavored and tasted underdone...he loved it tho. But as he continued to eat it he found a large portion uncooked which he couldn't eat. drinks on the roof was pleasant and a happening place, but had to return my Mohito as it was undrinkable. And the view is not as interesting as other rooftop bars like Vendue.Special Features:
- 50th birthdaymac1Dined on 7/20/2014By surprise my wife made reservations at stars for my 50th birthday. We were quickly greeted and seated by a very pleasant host. Drinks came next and were definitely on time. The kitchen sent over a few oysters on the house and we then ordered dinner by the guidance of our wonderful waiter. The dinner arrived hot and was perfect in every way. We finished our dinner with dessert which was out of this world. We would most definitely recommend stars to anyone that in search of atmosphere with great food and service to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible servicegumbyDined on 7/19/2014Waited over an hour past our reservation time to be seated. Waited for our food for over 2 hours and during this time we only saw our waiter once, needless to say we never got drinks or anything during this 2 hour wait. The restaurant wasn't busy, it wasn't even during their peak time! We eventually had to get our food to go to make a meeting and neither the waiter or manager seemed to care. It was a horrible experience, horrible customer service and I will never go back or recommend to a friend.Special Features:
- Ran out of food?? Come on.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/19/2014Went to Stars with a large group (11) after hearing great things. Unfortunately the restaurant ran out of 3 of their entrees (encompassing perhaps 30%+ of their total selection), which seriously hampered our meal selection. These dishes weren't specials either, rather they were cornerstones of the meal (the filet and two other meat selections I believe). We only found out about this well after ordering our food, resulting in a long, long delay in ultimately getting fed (not to mention them forgetting one dish once the entrees finally made their way to our table). For the price point, this was an unacceptable. Our reservation was at 9pm on a Saturday as well. Skip the meal and get a cocktail on the roofdeck only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for special occasionMel4Dined on 7/19/2014I dined here with a small group for my bachelor party, and we had a blast. Food was incredible, drinks were delicious, and the atmosphere was perfect. Perfect place for a special occasion, a romantic dinner, or an excuse to get dressed up for a classy good time. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stars is outstandingimafoodieDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I have been to Stars many times and neither the service nor the food has ever been a disappointment. The wait service is always friendly and very attentive so as to make our dining experience memorable. One of our favorite appetizers was the Mushroom Bruchetta, mmmmmm good. If you like trout try the pan fried trout for dinner you wont regret it. Another very unique thing about Stars is their wines on tap bar. There must be about 2 dozen wines to order from that they have on tap which are very reasonably priced. Stars will always be one of our favorite restaurants to visit when we are in Charleston.Special Features:
- So good!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014We took family from out of town to Sunday brunch and were expecting to order from the menu. Upon arrival we found that they only offered a buffet until 3 but we were pleasant surprised by all that was available. It was all delicious, well stocked and presented, and the staff was quick to keep the table clear and all contained in a really pretty building. I'd certain go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday brunchonalarkDined on 7/13/2014Brunch buffet was good. Service very good. Worth the visit. Liked the fried chicken Benedict. Nice take Shrimp and grits were great. Omelet station chef Robert very accommodating. Liked the ability to order and then they bring it to you. Nice touch. Will go back.Special Features:
- ExcellentCaptainDined on 7/11/2014Impeccable service. The white coated crew at Stars are some of the finest we've ever encountered. The food was outstsnding. We've eaten at over 30 of Charleston's restaurants, including all the well publicized ones and Stars is right there with the top shelf places. And the rooftop offers great views of upper King Street and Charleston, has great security and is a perfect chill spot for after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great FoodWillWork4FoodDined on 7/9/2014Actually 4.5 stars. I have been a fan of Stars since it opened, and this time was no different. Great creative takes on low country standards and a wood fired grill that turns out succulent creations like the bone-in pork chop I had this trip. Great cocktails, great food, great service. This is a place you can count on.Special Features:
- Comfortable setting, very good foodwadleyflaDined on 7/8/2014Limited menu, but everything done well. The service is very professional,yet friendly. Pricing is a little high for serving portion, but quality is very high.Special Features:
- Great experienceCEH19Dined on 7/5/2014Had drinks on the rooftop prior to our dinner reservations. Service, atmoshpere, food and drinks were delicious. Would recommend to anyone and everyone. Will go back on my next trip to Charleston!Special Features:
- review of starsBuckyDined on 7/5/2014The Food at Stars is exceptional. The atmosphere is a bit cold and loud. You almost don't expect the food to be as good as it is due to the interior feel. We were seated by the hostess desk and that was not pleasant. Overall we had a great meal.Special Features:
- Weekend at Bernie'sFoodieWinoDined on 7/5/2014Awesome drinks and rooftop bar with great food. I met a group of friends for drinks and dinner at Stars this weekend and found my new favorite Charleston cocktail "Weekend at Bernie's." It was probably the best part of my meal, even though the mussels were really good (though maybe a little over cooked). It was made with honeysuckle vodka, grape fruit and "bison grass", which I was told as a mix the bar tenders whip up. Everyone really enjoyed their food wine and cocktails. We also spent some time on the rooftop which is such a fun bar scene with a great view. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rooftop Bar and Great food!Atldiner1Dined on 7/4/2014We booked this place for the rooftop bar, so we were expecting good food but nothing crazy. My friend and I split the ribs and they were so good! The Rooftop bar is cool but since it's a college town, it's overrun very early in the evening. The food was very good, and I would definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Service!nf42Dined on 7/4/2014I selected Stars because of an online review of 'top Rooftop' restaurants. However, we elected to not get a beverage and lounge on the rooftop due to the excessively hot/sunny day and not enough 'cooling' on the roof, and really not a great view either. Note that the rooftop is a bar area only, not dinner service. We were very pleasantly surprised by the excellent dinner and service we experienced in the main floor dining area. Although the dinners are a bit pricey, they are all excellent. One of our diners requires gluten free options, and although Stars does not have a specifically gluten free menu, the waitress and chef were able to offer several meals, sides and desserts that were gluten free and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Put! Excellent!beachlovinmanDined on 7/3/2014Kevin our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and where the food was sourced from.! We loved it and will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but priceyLane0115VIPDined on 6/29/2014Great food, but a bit overpriced for what you get. Most entrees are $30 and up and portions were super small. We had a great bottle of wine, and the rooftop is spectacular, but probably won't pay $30 for 3 scallops again!Special Features:
- Stars ReviewsallyscDined on 6/28/2014I made the reservation through Open Table and we arrived early in time to enjoy the roof top bar! What a gem for Charleston! Despite that....it was GREAT and we'll go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014I can't say enough good things about Stars! The decor and atmosphere is very nice and all the waitstaff in white adds a nice touch of class! The food is always top notch! The pan seared Tuna is incredible. The service is superb. Phillip our waiter is one of the best waiters in Charleston! The rooftop bar is always a fun place for a cocktail before or after dinner! I highly recommend Stars to everyone!Special Features:
- Go elsewhere!AlwaysaHallsfanVIPDined on 6/28/2014We returned because of previous excellent service and meals - this visit will keep us from ever returning! Rude server. Extremely slow service. Food lukewarm. NO ONE thanked us for dining there or even made eye contact with us as we were leaving!!! We have dined all over the Charleston area and suggest you try another one of the excellent restaurants. Our guests are still talking about how appalled they were with our evening at Stars!
- Nice rooftop barpaulq101Dined on 6/21/2014The main draw is the rooftop bar. Excellent drinks. However the view isn't all that great as you're overlooking run down houses and garbage cans. Food was of average quality with a somewhat limited menu. Extensive wine list and VERY pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.