1 Ferry Building #3
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slanteddoor.com/
- Phone: (415) 861-8032
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:00am-2:30pm, Sunday 11:30am-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday-Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Charles Phan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: The Slanted Door has several options for groups wishing to hold special events. Our PRIVATE DINING ROOM accommodates 12-20 guests for a quiet sit-down dinner. Our LOUNGE is available for semi-private cocktail parties for 20-50 people or seated dinners for up to 40. Our PATIO is available seasonally for parties of 40-70.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Alvey 415-321-3003x
- Cross Street: On Embarcadero between Mission and Clay St.
- Public Transit: The Ferry building is served by public transportation: Muni, Golden Gate Transit, Bart, F Train. Ferry service is available with Golden Gate Ferry, Blue and Gold Fleet and Bay Link Ferries. For more information, visit www.transitinfo.org and www.sfport.com
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Ferry Building offers the following validated parking.
Embarcadero@ Washington lot (across from Pier 1)
Validated rate of $2.00/hr for the first 2 hours; $6/hr thereafter.
A word from Slanted Door
Slanted Door is Charles Phan's modern Vietnamese restaurant. Charles aims to showcase the abundance of sustainably farmed produce as well as meat, game and poultry found at farms around the San Francisco Bay Area and globe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVietnamese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slanted Door - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Slanted Door reviews from OpenTable diners
775 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (502)scenic view (500)hot spot (348)special occasion (320)good for groups (306)great for lunch (235)vibrant bar scene (154)great for outdoor dining (137)notable wine list (104)neighborhood gem (98)romantic (71)great for brunch (46)late-night find (45)kid-friendly (44)Show More
- Deafening Ambient Sound Destroys Quality MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014If you must go to The Slanted Door, unless you enjoy the shrieking of others, and the need to scream to your dinner mates, Friday is a particularly poor choice. I've been there twice in recent months: the first time I noticed how good the food was, and the second time I noticed how hoarse I was 20 minutes into the experience. I speculate that where one is seated in the room, along with when in the week and evening, can vary the level of the thunderous roar. If you are over 27, I highly recommend going for lunch instead of dinner, if at all possible, to minimize the quantity of "energetic" diners. I've pondered for a while why it is that restaurants have gotten so noisy in recent years. I KNOW it is on purpose: architectural details of new restaurants built from the ground up (including The Slanted Door's current location) are designed to amplify the noise. The only explanation I've come up with is to drive out the older diners, with their diminished hearing and patience; a younger crowd is a hipper crowd. The plan has worked perfectly: I am 63 and I won't be returning to The Slanted Door. As it was a special occasion, we went for the $45 steak. That tough little thing is wildly overpriced, out of scale with the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- good food poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/21/2014The food was great, service was lacking. We could never find our server when we needed him. Need more servers on a Friday night. Also our server tried to charge us for items we did not order and it took quite a conversation to get them off our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/21/2014Great food in an extremely noisy environment. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Slanted Door DOES NOT disappoint......OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014The Slanted Door is probably my favorite restaurant in the city. It's located in the historical Ferry Bldg with scenic views of the Bay and Bay Bridge and their food is impeccable. I've eaten here at least 15 times over the last few years and have never, ever had a bad meal. The carmelized prawns are too die for and the vegetables are always cooked to perfection. Not too crunchy and not mushy. The spinach and brussels sprouts are devine. I don't eat beef or lamb, but my friends said their dishes were incredibly delicious. They have a good cocktail list (try the Moscow Mule) and a comprehensive wine list. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014My girlfriend and I are from the Seattle area, and after hearing great reviews about the Slanted Door and owning both of the chef's books, we made reservations for dinner about four weeks before we planned to arrive in San Fran. Unfortunately, it was the biggest disappointment and let down of our trip. The "one team, one dream" attitude shared by the wait-staff was far from being properly executed, and from the moment we sat down, we were ignored and treated as if WE were an inconvenience. After finally putting in our order with the so-called dream team, we waited what seemed like an eternity as we sat in the dark and stared at each other silently because the rumble in the restaurant was deafening. The only reason I am giving them 1-star is because the pork belly was delicious, and we would have loved to try the house spring rolls, but unfortunately they didn't arrive with the other starter we ordered at the beginning of the meal. After asking the waitress about them, making sure they wouldn't be on our tab, they magically appeared as if we were to eat them for dessert. The entire experience was a major disappointment and we will not recommend the Slanted Door to anyone visiting SF.
- Wonderful experience yet againDWinSFVIPDined on 11/16/2014We have never been disappointed at The Slanted Door. It is always a must do when we have out of town guests (IF we can get in) and everyone loves it. The food is varied and amazing. Super fresh tasting. Servers and wine steward excellent. Just wish it was a little less noisy. Certainly not the spot for quiet conversation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I hoped for.SusermomDined on 11/16/2014We have not dined at Slanted Door that many times but have been going since the early days. I'm finally admitting to myself that it's just not as good as I hope for. Bland and unexciting. We finally brought our son and raved about the restaurant and in the end he said he wasn't so impressed. Yes, I know he's a famous chef but I won't be going back. Is it because it's become more of a tourist destination that the standard had to go down?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic-- always!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Our go-to place. Every dish is amazingly tasty and the atmosphere is energetic and upbeat and also casual and unpretentious -- you always leave Slanted Door in a great mood. Now that the Embarcadero theater has been upgraded and is one of the best theaters to see movies in SF (they get good films and you can reserve your seat!) the perfect Saturday night is a movie at Embarcadero Theater and walk over for a late dinner at Slanted Door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch at Slanted Door!SunCityAlDined on 11/15/2014We took first time visitors to San Francisco, rode across on the ferry, and they had their first ever SF meal at Slanted Door. It was, as always, exceptional! Great food, a wonderful view and ambiance, and very reasonable prices. A great introduction to a great city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the Best!PadreVIPDined on 11/14/2014Amazing and a never miss in my book!!!! You will experience 5 Star Service and Foods beyond belief!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip the Shaking Beef!DoloresheightsdinerVIPDined on 11/14/2014The food at Slanted Door is still very good and I have been there many many times. We debated having the Shaking Beef but decided to splurge; this time, it was just not worth the money - certainly not worth $36 and not exceptional at all. Still love the jicama, grapefruit, pecan, cabbage salad and the carmelized prawns were also very good. Crispy imperial rolls were easily as good at other Vietnamese restaurants. Our waitress was good and the view from our booth was lovely - so all in all, still a good lunch spot in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunch overlooking the BaylifeisgoodDined on 11/14/2014Grapefruit and Jicama salad was AWESOME, Crab Crepes were delicious and different than anything I had ever had. Sit outside at lunchtime and watch the birds, the ships, the bay and the people strolling the pier. Unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The servers were inattentive and slowOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/13/2014Very disappointed with the service as I had a client in from out of town who was dying to try it Food was good as always but the i attentiveness and constantly needing to ask for things left a sour taste in everyone's mouthI would recommend this to a friend.
- The food quality has changed.CraigLagunaNiguelVIPDined on 11/12/2014Visited the Slanted Door for the 6th time in 5 years. The food quality has changed and the flavors from past visits were missing. Basically, it just wasn't as good a meal as in the past. Something has changed. Example, the clay pot chicken was missing its magical flavors that brings me back each year.Special Features:
- Flavor filled foodBWFlamesDined on 11/11/2014All items we had were delicious. The Yellowtail was spectacular. The pork ribs were delicious but they seemed over cooked And somewhat tough.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014The food was excellent, our waitress was very pleasantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and experiencetradeshowtravellerDined on 11/9/2014Food was delicious -I was concerned as I don't eat meat but the seafood and all veggie options were plentiful and delicious. Sugar snap peas amazing, yellowtail sushi was probably best I've ever had, all was good. View of bay bridge fantastic. Very busy place but not overly loud. highly recommend for business or special occassions!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014This Restaurant is one of my favorites in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MelsDined on 11/9/2014Have eaten here many times but this time everything seemed rushed, the dishes didn't live up to previous experiences and the menu seemed less interesting. Desserts were mediocre. Living on reputation? Dissappointed
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Overpriced for Vietnamese food. Found the beef just plain and not worth the extreme price tag. Could find cheaper prices earlier but the location is unbeatable.Special Features:
- sharonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I have eaten there many times. I organized a family lunch reserving on line with Open Table. I asked for a round table and was given a rectangle table in a corner which made talking difficult. Our server came and left from time to time, but was mostly not available. The food was good, but not as excellent as in the past with taste and quantity. I will return, but not in a group again.Special Features:
- Too busy to careSkylerpantsDined on 11/8/2014We had several people recommend the place to is so we had high expectations and anticipation. The service was so impersonal. No discussion or guideance through the menu. We were truly an after thought to our waiter. Long waits before drinks arrived and in between courses. The beverage I ordered with my meal did not arrive until after the check was paid. The food was good but but bland. We noticed we would have rather had the items from our neighboring tables. If there's a next time I suggest checking the invisibility cloak at the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014Perfect for family style dining- just be sure and order two of most items for your larger party. Desserts were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slanted doorSfreviewDined on 11/7/2014The food was good but the reservation list was running 30-45 minutes late even though I made my reservation at least a month in advance. They gave us am appetizer for our trouble but they couldn't even spare an entire appetizer- she cut up one spring roll on a plate and tried to pass it off as more than one.Special Features:
- Always love itBirgitVIPDined on 11/7/2014Slanted door again had great food, everything one wanted, and a great atmosphere. Always a good place to take the out of towers!Special Features:
- Excellent MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014Everything we ordered was exquisite. You can really taste the quality in their ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly DisappointedTrishVIPDined on 11/7/2014Slanted Door used to be one of my favorites however the service was so bad on Fri nite I doubt I will ever be back. We were a party of 4, took 20 minutes for someone to come over & take our drink order & that was because we waved down a server. Waiter comes over and leans on the table with both hands barely makes eye contact, he acted so bored with the whole scene. We felt like we were bothering him. Dinner came, waiter never did. After we finished we sat for another 30 mins until our table was bused. We wanted dessert but after 20 more mins of waiting for the waiter we decided to skip it. I needed to wave my arms in the air in order to get the check. We were there for almost 2.5 hrs. Food was good but not good enough to endure bad service.
- MixedJenMaDined on 11/7/2014Had Slanted Door cost less, I'd be satisfied with our dinner and experience there. The crispy vegetarian spring rolls were a treat, the fried squash boring, the pear salad forgettable. The short ribs and the rack of lamb were sublime. I was put off by the service, however. We had to queue both with people who had reservations and those who hoped to snag a table to check in. Our waiter didn't tell us much about portion sizes; we didn't need 2 mains for the 2 of us. Our short ribs were delivered to the table so long before the rice that they had stopped steaming by the time it came. My husband got his tea, but I waited so long for my 2nd glass of wine that I thought they'd sent to France for it. Never again.Special Features:
- GreatRobinDined on 11/6/2014Wonderful experience and great food. Mour whole party loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/6/2014Food was good but service was very slow. Tables that were seated after us got their food long before we did with no explanation or apologies from our waitress.
- Omg- great food and serviceyogivevaDined on 11/5/2014Staff very attentive, our server a real gem. Food was flavorful and fragrant.
- Great for a business lunch.Ria08888Dined on 11/4/2014I've been here few times for business lunch, love everything about it, food outdoor view and service. No complains will keep coming back.Special Features:
- foodiefoodieDined on 11/3/2014I heard that this was the place to go in San Francisco. Was seated at a table that had an awesome view of Bay Bridge. Server came was not v friendly, didn't introduce himself, just said that there were no specials and asked if we want anything to drink. I asked him about the pork belly and he just said that it was in a sweet sauce. He took our order and did not see him again until he came and asked if we wanted another drink (we were half way though the dinner). I asked for a doggy bag and the busboy said ok and never saw the doggie bag. Waiter came back and left the dessert menu, never describing anything about the desserts, when he came back and we said no, he left the menu and didn't even say thank you. It was not CHEAP, food ok.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodVMMATXVIPDined on 11/3/2014This has been one of my favorite restaurants in SF for many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting from east coastOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014The Slanted Door was recommended to us by a co-worker. We made last minute late night reservations and it was perfect for our needs. The shared dishes made it possible to try several dishes and it helped us to not overeat so late on the evening. We had a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatRingoesNJDined on 11/2/2014I get here when visiting SFO on business, and it is always great. Flavorful, friendly staff who offer suggestions on what to select, and a no rush vibe... Even though they are always busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, tasty food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/2/2014Had our waiter order for us with guidelines for specific constraints (no red meat) and he did a great job of variety in both food types and tastes. Each dish is kind of a surprise. Very enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014Not a prompt greeting didn't know if the line was for walk-ins or people with reservations, once seated server didn't come for a while drinks were slow to come, service was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LorikeetMVLorikeetMVDined on 10/31/2014Food was great although expensive for portions. Felt a bit like a cafeteria.
- wonderfulDrSFGDined on 10/31/2014ive been to The Slanted Door twice now and have not been disappointed either Tim. The cuisine is wonderful. I'm getting hungry just thinking of all those unique favors mixing together into a gastronomic delight! If I had any criticism it would be that the wine list was a bit on the pricy side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.