Selanne Steak Tavern
1464 South Coast Hwy
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Selanne Steak Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.selannesteaktavern.com/
- Phone: 9497159881
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (Kitched closes at 9:30PM) ; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am (Kitched closed at 10:00PM)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Joshua Severson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is coming soon!
- Private Party Facilities: Indoor and outdoor private dining for groups up to 50 persons.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Shumate 9497159881
- Entertainment: Please call the restaurant for any entertainment offerings.
A word from Selanne Steak Tavern
Selanne Steak Tavern, owned by Anaheim Duck great Teemu Selanne and located in a quaint, historical building built in 1934, features an upscale casual neighborhood tavern and a traditional steakhouse. In addition to the best steaks in Orange County, the Tavern offers great burgers, small plates, salads and appetizers as well as an extensive wine list, great specialty cocktails and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Selanne Steak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Laguna Beach ›
Selanne Steak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (174)romantic (122)fit for foodies (114)great for outdoor dining (98)neighborhood gem (79)notable wine list (79)vibrant bar scene (66)hot spot (60)good for groups (44)late-night find (16)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014Cape Cod/Hamptons decor. Excellent service and attention to detail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT!!mck1211Dined on 9/20/2014Unbelievably good! The staff was friendly, attentive, and informative. The bartender made my wife a special drink after asking her likes/tastes in alcohol.Ceasar salad with prosciutto-excellent. We both ordered surf and turf, and it was probably THE best lobster Ive ever had! Mouth watering filet. Peach sorbet infused with champagne to cleanse the palate. Mac-n-Cheese to die for. Sauteed eggplant-amazing. Kudos to the chef! And what a nice surprise to find pillow chocolates in our car from the valet. We will be back!!Special Features:
- Wonderfulnarfy123Dined on 9/20/2014Our first visit to Selanne Steak Tavern was for our 28th anniversary. We had a wonderful experience and would definitely go back. The service and food were terrific.Special Features:
- NnylaDined on 9/19/2014Service and food were both exceptional. Our server, Lisa, went above and beyond when the halibut ran out and two of our party had ordered it on her recommendation. She did everything possible to make our group happy, including prepare an entree completely off menu. We enjoyed everything we had, and loved the beautiful glow of the room, the decor and the cocktails. Dinner was certainly pricey, but expertly prepared, and all of us enjoyed our meal very much (we had the soft shelled crab corn chowder and wedge salads followed by salmon, main fillets, and lobster tail). We will be back, undoubtedly...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening!JAD3Dined on 9/17/2014We recently dined here for the first time. We were celebrating our anniversary and hoped for a special evening. Selanne's Steak Tavern delivered! We settled into a plush booth with wonderful ambience. We received very attentive service by the staff. They were very knowledgeable about the wine selection and menu. We never felt rushed as we lingered through several courses. The wine selection was wonderful, and the food was superb. Without sounding too obvious, the steaks were incredible. The best I've had! And who knew that monkey bread would be so great? I'm a fan and highly recommend Selanne Steak Tavern!Special Features:
- great eveningjinlagunaDined on 9/13/2014Even though we didn't make our reservation until the day we wanted to dine, we still got a table. It was a very early reservation but we all agreed it would be fine. We ended up staying at the restaurant for close to 4 hours. Then never rushed us. The service couldn't have been better and the food was very good. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful time, the food was excellent as was the service. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfanfoodfanDined on 9/9/2014Fantastic!! Selanne's continues to be our favorite place to eat out. Everything is consistently excellent!Special Features:
- BelreineDined on 9/6/2014Bar service, food runners and bussers are super, servers could be more attentive. The dessert menu could use some variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but Not like MastrosBookino7Dined on 9/6/2014First of all The food was very good. The atmosphere was quaint and very well decorated. However, the prices were Mastros high and the food was not Mastros quality. Also the wait staff was very young and inexperienced. It was my wife's birthday and the happy birthday dessert was small but appreciated..until I saw that they charged us $10. The manager said that they had removed it at the bottom of the bill. He explained that it was to show us that we got a dessert and were charged $10 and then removed it for free. Huh? why? Last experience was with the valet. He brought the car around and I handed him a $20 to make change as the charge was $6. He looked at me and said, "Much appreciated" ...ok. You got me. Next time I will bring exact change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Customer ServiceVRONIODined on 9/6/2014I simply can't find not one complaint about my dining experience, the waiters were very attentive, the steak was one of the best i have ever tasted, the baked potato was a PERFECT side. We were also served red bell pepper bisque as a starter compliments of the chef. It was a true pleasure dining at Selanne Steak Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ridiculously overpricedfoodiemomDined on 9/4/2014We came here for a birthday, knowing it was pricey, and aware of what we were getting in to. I'm surprised they don't list prices on their menu on the website, but I guess they'd rather people find out when they get there and they are already seated. (If you have to ask, you can't afford it?) The food was delicious. I'd heard portions were small, but didn't find that to be true. Waiters were attentive, friendly. Service was well-paced. We had a laugh when they brought the "birthday dessert" a golf ball sized cream puff, with 4 forks, as if we were going to split it 4 ways and of course, we were charged $10 for it. Oh, well. We were full and not looking for dessert. We would have rather not mentioned the birthday or gotten a real dessert.Special Features:
- Superb steaksNeedlesDined on 9/4/2014We had a lovely meal here. Everything was as described on menu. Fillet mignon really cooked to perfection. We were seated in bar area which is noisy, so if you want a more romantic dinner choose on of the other seating areas- there seemed to be many! It is a buzzy restaurant, with lots of people. Valet parking round the back very handy.Special Features:
- Will not returncalidreaminDined on 9/3/2014Reserved weeks in advance, requested the patio. Was not told at confirmation that the patio was bought out that night. Was seated next to the bar, where it was loud, with tv's on, not an elegant atmosphere. We paid steak house prices for a corner bar atmosphere. If the patio was not available, the upstairs deck or dining room should've been offered. We, and anyone else not on the OC elite list, were ignored by Teemu. I don't remember the last time we were so disappointed in a restaurant. I had hoped to get an autograph for my hockey loving son back home. That won't happen, as we will never return. Mac/cheese was great. The valet was the most conscientious person we encountered.Special Features:
- Best.Steak.Ever.lagunadinerVIPDined on 9/2/2014Phenomenal steak in an attractive Laguna cottage setting. Friendly personable bartenders who know how to make classic cocktails. Try the old fashioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014The food is great and the restaurant itself is really cute and quaint. Our reservation was a little botched when we got there as they tried to seat us in the bar or outside, neither of which did we request when I made the reservation 3 weeks in advance thru OpenTable. They did find a place for us upstairs in the restaurant, but they put 5 of us at a table really for 4. Also, my husband requested his steak medium and it was served well done. Then it took almost after we were done with our meals to get his new steak to him. We weren't offered it to be removed from the bill or even a free dessert for the inconvenience. Only other thing is their chairs you sit on are very uncomfortable, as they have a short seat on them.Special Features:
- Promising venue, but menu lackingGmanDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I Found the menu disappointing for a premier steakhouse restaurant/tavern. There are only 4-5 steaks ranging from $36 (flat iron) to $98 (Lord Stanley Cup). She wanted a rib eye, but it only came in 14 oz. Why not offer 8 oz? Only 2 main course seafood options: 6 oz salmon at $29 and 8 oz halibut at $48. Both poor values. Salmon was good, but portion skimpy. Ordered a few starter courses & sides. Hits: The scallions were delicious. Shrimp prawns likewise, excellent chili sauce. Misses: the signature MAC n cheese was overwhelmingly rich, sodium heavy. Mushrooms tasted salty also. Cozy tavern, but no bar menu items. Kobe burger & fries? Staff generally very good. A hit (ambience) & miss (food) experience. They need to step it up.Special Features:
- Everyone should eat herePrincessDuckDined on 8/30/2014This place has the best steak & food that I know of in SoCal. Everyone should eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!bigfoodieDined on 8/29/2014I was truly captured by this restaurant from when we stepped out of our car at the valet stop. No detail has been left out for this dining experience! EVERYTHING was perfect. The ambiance, decor - all beautiful and cozy. The menu has so many choices and fell in love with the soft shell crab soup and my rib eye steak was outstanding! Service was friendly and at a perfect pace to relax for the evening. Definitely at the top of my list of favorites!Special Features:
- elegent yet comfortablevolvox17Dined on 8/28/2014The staff from the get-go was attentive and friendly. The bar is great for a drink and an appetizer while you wait for your table. We dined in the "loft" which is upstairs. With 4 separate rooms you have varying atmospheres. Each area had it's own wait staff which made for hands on attention. The breads were delicious (that IS how you judge a great steakhouse after all). I had the tomahawk pork chop and she had the filet. Both were excellent.Dexter was great as well with mini ice cream sandwiches and monkey bread. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty greatJCintheOCVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our steaks were cooked and prepped to perfection, and the meat's butchery was superb - something missing today in most restaurants. The alacarte menu was a bit pricy, but not so much so that we wouldn't come back for a special occasion. We enjoyed the lobster, their great salads, and the mac n cheese - truly a delight. We also had the eggplant side dish, and this missed its mark but management graciously removed it from the bill after we made a suggestion on how to improve the dish. Service from Vito was quite good and attentive, all we could ask for, but his support team needed better direction so that food being delivered was properly placed and all at once rather than in two waves. Overall very good plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is the food or service better???pretyezDined on 8/24/2014At first we were impressed with the 'meet and greet' by the valet and the hostess, but then we had the food and it was superb!! All the staff was well trained, professional, yet personable and the valet even remembered us by name when we left even though it was our first time there!! The mints on the dashboard of the car was over the top. Would go back in a heartbeat. We even bought a gift certificate for some friends so they can experience this dining experience....oh, and Teemu was not there that night....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014This place is amazing! The food, service and ambience are all outstanding.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The Great: Food is amazing. Especially notable: Salmon, snap peas and carrots. Just perfection. Chris our waiter was outstanding. Artwork on the wall just lovely. Banana ice Cream. I won't spoil the genuinely-surprising-surprise left in your vehicle after you valet it - an absolute first for all of us! The Good: Risotto (Everybody else at my table thought it was great, I felt it needed...something else), Monkey Bread Dessert. Not So Good: I appreciate the small divided dining areas but I thought the rooms echoed a lot - so for all of us, it was a bit too loud, everybody trying to talk over everybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysTCSievVIPDined on 8/23/2014Selanne's Steak Tavern is our new favorite dining spot in Laguna Beach. We've been half a dozen times, turned on all of foodie friends and everyone loves it every time. Always amazing service, even better food and drinks (the bar tenders are on their game). The corn soft-shell crab soup is so special that it is a must order every time and the truffle risotto is a table staple. Steak, Duck, Lamb, Fish....you can't go wrong. Selanne has four kids and their menu rocks, the fries are so crispy and salty, I end up eating half of my daughters'. The new secret was the heirloom tomato salad, we've all had it, but the olive oil sorbet was genius; cold, sweet, fruity/grassy, an amazing accent to the tomatoes and cheese. Can't wait to be back!Special Features:
- So soCheriDinerDined on 8/22/2014For a steakhouse our steak was less than desirable and certainly not cooked to our request. The sides were good, not great, and the signature mac and cheese was disappointing. The monkey bread dessert was dry and not gooey and tasty as monkey bread should be. We were there with friends for a 5:15 reservation and were asked to leave our table for a private party that was coming in after us. Not nice, we should have been warned and given a time limit if that was the case when seated. We were still enjoying our wine when asked to leave.Special Features:
- Five Stars!OnceisenoughVIPDined on 8/22/2014Excellent across the board! Finally a restaurant in Laguna that's on par with NYC restaurants!Special Features:
- LagunaBeachDined on 8/21/2014Selanne's offers the finest food in Laguna Beach. The staff is attentive and the restaurant is bubblying with energy. I prefer seating upstairs in an elegant, romantic setting.Special Features:
- Selanne Steak TavernCutlasDined on 8/21/2014Tis was very expensive for food that was very good but not that special. Service likewise. We ate early because there was no other times available. No one else was there when we arrived and at the end the place was still empty. Reservations need revamping. Ambience nothing special. Not a warm remarkable experience. W'ont go back. Expected more Teemu.Special Features:
- EnjoyablelovinglifeDined on 8/20/2014We were seated in the bar on a small table in the corner and it was extremely loud. If I return to the restaurant I would asked to be seated elsewhere as the bar was very loud and busy, even on a Wednesday night. We felt the food was good but a bit over priced. Service was excellent and the waitress was very knowledgable and gave us some good recommendations. Overall, I would say ask to be seated somewhere other than the bar...I noticed that was where they were trying to seat most of the people, but many of the customers asked to be moved.Special Features:
- Best bone-in filet in SOCAL!Flodd74VIPDined on 8/20/2014The Bone-in Filet Mignon is only one of the gems at this place. What ever you order from their menu will be superb. The service is outstanding and friendly. By far the best steakhouse in SOCAL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellant eveningNese62Dined on 8/16/2014The food and service were outstanding. We liked it so much on Friday night that we went back on Saturday night. Two different experiences that we enjoyed. The first night we had a reservation at 6:00 se we were sat outside on PCH under a large canopy. It was a very nice quiet sitting. The food was incredible. Filet mignon was excellent. Saturday was later 8:30 . We sat inside next to the Bar. Very energetic, great people. Fun. Food was excellent. Halibut and Salmon with corn. AmazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnercicourtDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary at Selanne's steak and tavern and everyone was very nice and helpful. We had a great time and our celebration was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveSinbadDined on 8/13/2014Wow! We felt that this was one of the best meals that we have had in a long time. We were also thankful for the kids menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak and Great FoodLtrainDined on 8/10/2014Took the wife and older kids and the steak was the best in the OC and the whole experience was awesome!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversay celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/8/2014Everything was really good just really expensive. Would only go again if it was a special occasion.Special Features:
- Halibut SpectacularDeltaDined on 8/8/2014Selanne Steak Tavern by its name may be thought of as specializing in steak but my wife had their Halibut which she claimed to be the absolute best Halibut she ever had. She thought the serving was a great size and it was cooked perfectly. We go to many of the finer restaurants in Orange and LA Counties and she almost always orders the Halibut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome. Just like TeemuWpgJets4EverDined on 8/7/2014We had a great experience. Food and service were excellent. The most notable part is that the staff is as courteous and humble as Teemu Selanne himself. I walked in with board shorts, tshir & ball cap greeted at the door by who I assume is the manager. He was in a suit jacket. I said "I feel under dressed" without missing a beat he said "no. We're overdressed". Everything was great from the beer salad, steak cooked perfectly & killer deserts. A classic steak house you will enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exellent food and servicewb52Dined on 8/7/2014Food, service and ambience were excellent. Upstairs room much quieter if that's what you're looking for. Superb steaks cooked to perfection with subtle sauces. Maui onion side a unique addition that complemented the steaks wonderfully. Try the beet "ravioli" starter...very different and tasty (it's not pasta). Overall a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laguna GemcollDined on 8/6/2014A great restaurant, lovely comfortable California dining but marketed as a "steakhouse" restaurant. It is a steakhouse but offers selection on its menu that are not true to the steakhouse genre. Unlike steakhouses there are sides or garnishes with your entrée so there isn't a need for ordering a lot of extra side dishes. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.