111 W. Broadway
Port Jefferson, NY 11777Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.schafersportjeff.com/
- Phone: 6314738300
- Hours of Operation:
We are currently operating our SummerHours:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday, at 11:30 AM.
Dinner: Monday - Sunday, at 5:00 PM.
Bar Opens at 4 PM Tuesday - Thursday, 11 AM Fri & Sat, 12PM Sunday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Bronson Govin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer full-service on premise catering at Schafer's. With an extensive array of Plated and Buffet options available as well as full beverage options.
- Entertainment: Schafer's hosts a Dueling Piano Show every Friday and Saturday Night beginning at 8PM! Live DJ begins at 11PM.
- Special Events: Schafer's has many seasonal specials and Holiday events. Currently featuring a Price Fixed Menu for $24.95, as well as many Weekly Events. Twin Tails on Tuesday for $25, 1/2 Price Wine Wednesdays, $20 1 1/4 Lb Lobster Thursdays.
A word from Schafer's
Schafer’s is the biggest new dining and entertainment experience to hit Port Jefferson Village in decades. Combining the most picturesque, expansive views of Port Jefferson Harbor, with Rooftop dining, at a newly renovated location.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Schafer's reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (15)great for outdoor dining (11)special occasion (6)great for lunch (6)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (3)great for brunch (3)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- TERRYVIPDined on 8/30/2014I like the idea of eating outside but not on a busy street. The service was good but the food was overpriced. My fish was dry and my husband's martini was nothing to talk about. Sorry we will not be back again.Special Features:
- Excellent food and great locationhjfphdDined on 8/25/2014Weeknight dining was a nice quiet time, excellent food, service, location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great on a Saturday nightmichaelinbrooklynDined on 8/23/2014On short notice we were looking for a place for dinner near Port Jefferson and settled on Schafer's. Friendly, attentive staff served a nice dinner. And the roof deck couldn't be beat. A place to go back to when we're in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nicenaynay1717Dined on 8/15/2014Good food, great service! Great for more of an up beat night - We enjoyed live music.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverFoodloverDined on 8/10/2014Always have a nice time at this restaurant. Service is terrific, food is good, and the prices are great.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprisenice18surpriseVIPDined on 8/6/2014We were on our way to the East End of Long Island and decided to stop in Port Jefferson for lunch. We chose Schafer's wanting to be near the water. The staff was lovely, the service good and the portions large. All in all we had a lovely lunch and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itBillDined on 8/2/2014Everything was GREAT! Food was truly outstanding. Excellent service!Special Features:
- DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I attended lunch there on a Saturday and it was pretty empty. We sat upstairs in the outdoor dining area, which was pretty nice. The service was really great - our waiter was nice and knowledgeable. We ordered the pretzel sticks and clams on the half shell, both of which were awesome. Clams were so fresh and delicious. That's pretty much where it ended for us though - we ordered fish & shrimp tacos. The fries did not taste like they were made for each order (sitting out) and the fish and shrimp tacos were really bland. If you are looking for a casual dining experience, it is good for that. Looking for quality food? Go somewhere else for the price.Special Features:
- Poor serviceJHM1VIPDined on 7/28/2014Took some family out for lunch. Very poor service and mistaken orders. Waited 20 minutes for check.
- Very nice place on Port JeffersonOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014Food was very good. Out of town guests enjoyed it immensely. We ate upstairs which had a beautiful view of the Sound. There was a two piece band that was a bit loud and that would have been our only turn off. Definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to eat at a nice place down PortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Sunday eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014A great spot, overlooking LI Sound and a harbor with boats and ferries. Great fried seafood, great beer. Drinks a little weak and expensive, however.Special Features:
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2014Went there for lunch on June 27 everyone's food was great, went to dinner last night everyone's food was poor. Very disappointed, meant to be a special night and the food made it a night to forget for a pricey meal.Special Features:
- nightmarefoodmanDined on 7/5/2014took over an hour to get served food an then it was horrible
- 3 strikes-they're outdoihavetoVIPDined on 7/4/2014This was our third try at Shafers. The first time the food was good-the service fair. The second time the food was fair and the service was less than fair. Our third and last time at Shafers they managed to provide the same service and food--POOR. From bus boys spilling water on the floor and not cleaning it up, to servers rushing us out as if they needed the table(they didn't). And lets not forget about the residue in the wine glass that was not a piece of cork.
- Brunch for Father's dayjudywDined on 6/15/2014They over booked. People sitting on top of each other. Every time some one walked down you had to get up to move. Food was over cooked. Services were good.Special Features:
- Good food,make sure you can waitUcffalconDined on 6/14/2014I thought once we got the food it wasn't bad. However we had a reservation at 7 and didn't get seated until almost 8, then we didn't get our food out until much later, about an hour wait time. The servers were very sorry which was nice but for the prices I felt like a manager should of come over and spoke to us about what was causing the delay. Thank god they expedited the Kid's food, but like I said in the title, the food was good but I'd alot at least 3 hours to eat here.Special Features:
- The following 144 reviews are from the Schafer's reviews archive.
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The service was terrible and the food was just ok
- Great food - Poor organizationKZ99Dined on 5/11/2014The food and staff were wonderful and worth going back for. The layout of the brunch service was extremely poor and frustrating. I understand the idea of utilizing a difficult space to present a buffet however nothing was labeled, there were not enough serving utensils for the items. When you asked questions about what some of the items were they all had to go ask. They all took initiative to answer questions but it was something that could have been avoided by a premeal meeting or labeling the items on the buffet etc. Again, the food and the friendliness of the staff was great. I didnt realize until we went to the restroom that there was another section with meats behind the bar. Should have been informed just incase.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014Food was poor at best... Salmon was very Dry, Filet Mignon was over cooked and very dry We were seated in the outside area which looks nice but the noise level from the street was annoying, especially when motorcycles went by... asked for indoor seating but I was told the only area available was in the bar which was not very appealing for dinner,even though there many vacant tables of other rooms..
- Bad TimeRichDined on 5/1/2014We were seated outside , upstairs which we were told about. The main problem beside the wind was the party of at least 25 that came up into the bar outside . It became very noisy and not a good exp.The service was also very slow because they had less staff than they should have. The staff did work very hard but had a big job. We ordered bread which came after we finished the meal.Special Features:
- View with potentialElliotDined on 4/30/2014While I generally don't mind a leisurely dining experience but I think a 20 minute wait for cocktails ( a beer, a wine and a mixed drink) is rather long considering it was early in the evening and not crowded. The wait staff seems inexperienced. For example, an appetizer of mussels was served without a bowl for shells and without a small fork for extracting the mussels. Meals were okay but no raves. There is potential and I'd love to see improvement.Special Features:
- joetbirdDined on 4/26/2014everything was great except for the clam bake. very dry, not very tastySpecial Features:
- DisappointmentALBaumDined on 3/15/2014Calamari had no taste, horseradish dip was bland; LI Seafood Bisque soup came out cold; Scallops were okay, not great, but the pureed sweet potato (also cold) did not complement the seafood; marinated skirt steak lacked flavor and too chewy. Going to pass on this place.Special Features:
- Wow what a difference a chiefOutstandingVIPDined on 3/14/2014Wow what a difference a chief makes. so glad we decided to check out the new Schafer's. The food was great, the staff was on it, the drinks were spot on. Chief Heather even came out to speak with us. Turns out she was the Head Chief at our wedding at the Thatched Cottag. Can't wait to see this place hopping in the summer. Lobster Rosotto was perfect, huge oysters, it was just fantastic!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazingSMJ0724Dined on 2/22/2014Schafer's in Port Jefferson is awesome! The food is outstanding and the service was impressive. We dined with a group of 8, and everyone had amazing food! I had the braised short rib, and it was tender and flavorful. For dessert, we enjoyed the fresh donut holes. Save your calories for that one, because you won't want to miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Next LevelEddieDined on 2/21/2014We have dined at Shafer's a couple of times before and the food has definitely come up a notch. Our meals were both delicious, appetizers, soup and entree all delicious, fine job by Chef Heather West. Food took a little time to get there, but worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very slowktr0106Dined on 2/14/2014I'm not really one to complain about service, but the service for our table was very very slow. We were starving when we arrived and ended up waiting over 2 hours for 3 courses. Everybody was very nice and the food was spectacular--the service was just slower than we had ever seen anywhere else (and we go out to eat very often).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DinnerpauljohncDined on 2/14/2014Enjoyed Valentines Dinner with my wife and soon to be married Daughter, food was amazing, we had the Sea Bass and the Pasta with bacon and tomatoes, Food was great, services was outstanding. For a very busy night the staff was attentive and pleasant. The roses for the ladies was a nice touch. I would highly recommend Schafer's for your special occasion.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day dinner ruinedUnhappyDinerDined on 2/14/2014Valentine's Day 2014--Seating--like sardines in a can. Not intimate, romantic, private at all. Could listen in quite well on other peoples' conversations. Food--My GF was told at 8:00 that NY Strip Steak was sold out!!.((really)) My duck--undercooked, chewy, lacking flavor. Dessert--Chocolate tort cake with sliced strawberry and cappucino gelato. Cake was really rich, strawberry was nice, but no gelato. Asked a waiter and he said it was in the cake!((really)) Asked our waiter and was told it was in the icing!((really)) First waiter came back and told us that he was wrong and he spoke with our waiter who told him that indeed it comes on the side, and they will bring it presently. Who's lying to us now?! 20 mins. later-still no gelato! BYE!
- DisappointmentReeseDined on 2/14/2014My boyfriend and I went there for Valentine's Day. When we walked in we were told that the new chef had won the TV show "Hells Kitchen". We both order the NY strip steak & were disappointed: no flavor and the majority of the steak was fat. And not the good kind. The fries were overcooked and bland. The restaurant ran out of food and had to keep going back to the tables to tell customers there was no more steak, etc etc. Several meals were no longer available. We thought we'd be satisfied with dessert, so we ordered the donut holes with ice cream. The ice cream was freezer-burnt and they were zeppoles, not donut holes. We tried one and left the rest. $125 + tip later, the food was absolutely not worth the money. We will never go there again.
- EHHStoveDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentines Day and were given the Valentines Day Prix Fix menu only with a drink menu. The specialty drinks were awful tasting and we went through two of them before we found something acceptable. Portions were just right and appetizers were tasty. The main course was good but not a wow. The dessert we chose was canoli filled sugar wafer ice cream cones. The cones were good, but the canoli creme was horrible. It was to soft and very salty. Service was spot on though. Meals were brought out quickly and timely. Would we go again ... probably not.
- Engentic /DeliciousellihuschVIPDined on 1/19/2014Sunday - Happy hour -friendly -energetic & service kept pace w/requests -house Chardonnay delightfully dry-perfect beers choices seemed endless. Brian our server Perfect made our dining memorable- very warm, engaging,friendly,knowledgeable, timely & extremely accommodating w/ menu requests.The Prix fix meal offered array of choices.I we chose salads fresh-crisp( large enough- could be meal itself) Short Ribs/Garlic mashed potatoes & veggie- was savory mouthwatering treat (again -portion size large enough take1/2 home- lunch next day)Deserts-Flourless Chocolate cake(rich & fudge-like-YUM! presentation- eye appealing & impressive- definitely dine again(request Brian as our server) & recommend reservations for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Worst place ever....4unhappypeopleDined on 1/4/2014There is not enough room to list how awful this establishment was! So sorry (and embarrassed) we ever set foot in the door! The worst restaurant in Port Jeff!!
- We dined during the DickensyduffnerDined on 12/7/2013We dined during the Dickens festival so there was a lot going on and it was a bit noisy, but we expected that and were happy that so many of the "characters" came in! I'm sure on another evening it would be more subdued.Special Features:
- Good foodkimchrisDined on 12/7/2013Food was good. I ordered a steak rare, they sent it med rare. The appetizer was great and my husbands order was very good. Other than the meat temperature issue, it was very good dining experience, service was great, drinks were good.Special Features:
- Very nice mealgabricolDined on 11/8/2013We had an excellent dinner , great service with a nice ambience . Not too noisy but not too quiet either . Would definitely come back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My dinning exsperianceDanielsVIPDined on 11/5/2013Every thing was good service was excellent the price fix menus had agood selection I would recommend it to other people my grandaughter picked this resturant for her conformation dinner. The place was clean and the view of downtown port jefferson was good.the regular menus had a lot of dishes also. Please try it .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leery at firstLeeryatfirstDined on 10/11/2013After reading other reviews we were going to cancel our reservations! Glad we didn't, food was excellent and service was great! After dinner we stayed at the bar and enjoyed the entertainment! I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Delicious...luv2dineDined on 10/4/2013Schafers by far, has the best food in Port Jeff. Our party was celebrating a birthday, we mostly ordered specials, the Duck, amazing, and Double Cut Pork Chops, also amazing and cooked perfectly, not overdone with an delicious sauce...I myself ordered my fave, Chicken with Rissoto, the Chef here makes the best rissoto..,..another amazing time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodarlakDined on 9/22/2013The food was delicious. Two of us had the chicken with risotto. They couldn't stop raving about it. I had the lobster roll. I really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.