78 Rivington St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saucerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 420-7700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am. Brunch Saturday + Sunday: 11:00am - 3:45pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Frank Prisinzano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sauce
Sauce is Frank Prisinzano's fourth neighborhood restaurant in lower Manhattan. Sauce's nose-to-tail red sauce trattoria approach fuses culinary tradition & innovation with the freshest local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sauce reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (44)fit for foodies (40)great for outdoor dining (23)hot spot (22)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (10)notable wine list (9)late-night find (9)special occasion (8)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Casual ItalianRecurringSaucerDined on 11/22/2014Reliable and lively neighborhood spot - delicious fresh pastas and sauces. The Plank is a MUST order. Go on the early side if you are interested in their specials - they run out quickly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid at all costs!NYfoodeeVIPDined on 11/22/2014Unless you enjoy having to squeeze a space for yourself around the crowded bar area while the maitre d' feeds you lie after lie about how your table is being set and that we should be seating you momentarily for 45 minutes after your reservation, then my suggestion would be to try any other of the 5,000 or so other authentic Italian restaurants in the lower Manhattan area. The food here is decent, the noise level is deafening, the wine list is diminutive and you will be crammed into the smaller seats and tables south of Houston street.
- Dinner was amazing but service was extremely poorg766Dined on 11/14/2014I went to sauce for a birthday dinner. The food was outstanding and I was excited to try the restaurant having been to Lil Frankies & Supper. Our waiter was so rude to the point that we spoke to the manager about him. He was rude to our table, rushed us and didn't offer any help on the menu. He made a really great meal feel mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!KevlaarVIPDined on 11/2/2014Delicious food, solid service, and adorable space. The only reason I gave it 3 stars for ambiance was the temperature. It was a cold morning and we arrived at 11:30 am on Sunday for brunch, but my wife ended up leaving her coat on through the entire meal. Otherwise, a wonderful experience overall.Special Features:
- cheap Italian eats on the LESRegOignonDined on 11/1/2014The food is lusty and at its best, gives amped up versions of grandma's classics. But it's also inconsistent. A spaghetti sauce was way too salty, while the bollito misto was bland and underseasoned.
- Good Dining ExperienceJoechDined on 10/25/2014The Burratta was hands down one of the best I have ever had! Kale gnocchi was very good. Everything we ordered was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would have been perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Went here last Saturday - had dinner around 7pm. Seemed very busy but my reservation, although we were running late (had called to inform them) was sat right away. Service and food were great, portions were not overwhelming but we left full and had some leftovers too. Only complaints are they sat us by door which was opened so I was a little cold so I kept my jacket on and music was REALLY loud so that everyone had to scream to talk. Considering the nice ambiance would be a great place for date night but too loud to talk to my date accross the table- and music selection was really weird and kind of aggressive for a restaurant. Wouldn't have minded the choices had they not been blasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Birthday DinnerAndyRoseNYDined on 10/24/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday. The plank is a must for an appetizer. The presentation is incredible and it is super delicious! We split the butternut squash ravioli (a nightly special) and meatballs and gravy for our entrees. Both were very good. I think we will be going back. We went on a Friday night and it was quite loud but its a great location for dinner if you looking to go out in the LES afterwords.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an organized messlambladyVIPDined on 10/18/2014I got in on time for my reservation (3 people) but our drink order was never taken and didn't get an actual waitress for 15 minutes. But people who came in after us got their drink order taken and service as soon as they sat down. Also, stay away from their vegetarian gluten free dish. It tastes like hot hard water.
- Frank FanAwesomenessVIPDined on 10/17/2014Service was good and friendly. Food was very good, portions on the small side but still worth it. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Good food fairly pricedLorenzoDined on 10/16/2014Very well done Italian rustic food. Nothing new but very well done and very fairly pricedSpecial Features:
- No taste in the sauceLuveatingoutVIPDined on 10/16/2014There was no taste in the food Odd flavor in meal no garlic or onion in Italian food?
- Great food, loud and bustlingilovefoodDined on 10/11/2014Enjoyed dinner here with my husband. Garlic bread appetizer is amazing...but you only get one piece per order so it's not really for sharing. We also shared an arugula salad to start. Delicious, light, lemony flavor. For the main course I had ricotta cavatelli which was really good like comfort food my grandmother would have made. My husband had a piece of steak served with a crispy fried egg on top and a side of broccoli rabe. Yum. I enjoyed the bustling atmosphere but it was a little too loud. The music was hip hop, with the volume a little too high for my taste. Italian food with slim shady blaring in the background just doesn't go together for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bbinhnlDined on 10/8/2014We had a delicious mushroom salad that was an evening special. Local, fresh ingredients. Also had Grandma's Tomato Gravy with homemade disk-shaped pasta and meatballs. So good! My husband had the lasagna and it was decadent with a bechamel sauce. Great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow start but nailed it overallMokenVIPDined on 10/4/2014Great place! We had a terrible server at first, allegedly named “Boo”, that was incredibly rude and miserable. After getting a new server who was AWESOME - everything else went perfectly. Great food, great location and good value. I will go back but keep my eyes open to make sure we're not in the same section with the first server.Special Features:
- sauce has sauceBobbySandsDined on 9/27/2014This is a place where you go to eat good Southern Italian food with good hearty red gravy. Nothing fancy here just good home style Italian cooking. For the Calabrese, Neoplolitans and Southern Italian palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food at reasonable price!NinaVIPDined on 9/25/2014The pasta entrees are very good and are reasonably priced. The place could get a little crowded but you can't beat the happy hour price. Great first-stop for friends on a Thursday night out.Special Features:
- Best Italian in NYCilove2eatDined on 9/20/2014Homemade pasta, grass fed meatballs, fresh bread, carrots & peppers drowning in EVOO... You must try! We've returned a number of times and the food never fails to please.Special Features:
- Highly Recommend This RestaurantEnidRRDined on 9/18/2014Excellent service. Food was superb! I have been there with just two of us and now with a group of 8 and their service was the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy Italian!MeliChatDined on 9/13/2014I loved that everything was totally fresh, organic and beef was grass fed. The sauces were as good as grandmas homemade! Salads extremely fresh and innovative. Trendy, energetic and a great beer selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014I love pasta so eating their fresh hand made pasta was amazing! Great taste and texture. It was perfect. I wish I had room to try their steak too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedBellesssDined on 9/6/2014While stuck in traffic, I telephoned Sauce to inform them I'll be 15 minutes late and was told I'll lose that table. I complained that there is always a 15 minute window for late reservations so was put on hold then told I can still keep my reservation. The waitress was super attentive, but made it obvious she wanted us to finish fast so that the turnover could be speedy and more lucrative. I get that it's a business and that she's there to make money, but would prefer to not feel so pushed to eat and leave. I've never felt this way before in the past and will continue to eat at this restaurant because it's always satisfying to my palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very rushed serviceFoodForThoughtVIPDined on 9/6/2014If it weren't for the very good, homestyle food at Sauce, I might not consider returning. The noise level on a weekend night was almost overwhelming but the real issue is the service. While the service was friendly, our three courses arrived almost on top of one another and we were not allowed any time at all to enjoy pre-dinner cocktails. Four of us were dining and among us, we had several drinks, a bottle of wine and two to three courses each. Our meal was over in a slightly more than an hour and we felt rushed at every turn, almost gobbling down our food to keep up with the service. If we return, we will know to request more leisurely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014The food itself was great and very tasty - especially the filetto pasta dish! My only complaints would have to be that our waitress was extremely negligent and that it was too hot in the restaurant itself (we were nearly drowning in sweat!) Please use the AC on humid days!Special Features:
- Delicious, super fresh and funLemmingenrouteDined on 8/30/2014Went for a birthday party with 9 people plus baby (called to modify Open Table res with no problem). Wait staff good but busing staff not always the best - sometimes too quick to clear. Food was incredible. We probably ate about 50% of the menu items and every single one was a home run. Way better than Little Italy for dinner although dessert was just good jot great. They did bring a nice dessert out with candle for birthday boy. Try the meatballs, any of the homemade pastas, and any specials they have that sound good (we had 3 and all were delicious). Bolognese and grandmas sauce were my favorites but every sauce we tried was delicious. Very fair price - For 9.5 people with drinks, lots of apps, entrees and desserts, total was under $400.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaucePeachesDined on 8/28/2014The first time I went to sauce it was fabulous. They had a shared dish with pork and pasta that was amazing. I have been there maybe 4 times since and am always disappointed. I really want to like it but it is just not interesting enough. We tried it again on a family outing and I regretted the choice. We are a foodie family and while the ingredients are very fresh and well sourced the dishes lack interest in their spicing. The food ends up being too bland.Special Features:
- Waiter had an attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/26/2014By and large, our dinner at Sauce was very good. Outside of the braciole, which two of my fellow diners disliked immensely, the food was delicious and well-prepared. Overall, the staff was pleasant and accommodating, but our main complaint was with our waiter, who had a haughty and superior attitude from the get-go. I'm not sure if it's because we took too long to order, he didn't think we were "hip" enough for the restaurant/neighborhood, or he's just naturally snippy, but it came through loud and clear that he barely tolerated us. After we ordered dessert, it was impossible to find him and we had to ask the busboy to get our check. It's a shame, because I would definitely return, but would be very reluctant to sit in his station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok...but....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014The portions were tiny for all five in our party. An expensive caprese salad which should have been an entree was clearly just a salad. Bolognese sauce was very good but again--tiny portions.Good that they were generous with bread. Server must have been having a mediocre day. Came to check on us just as we were finishing and never a smile. Hmmm....
- Great for a large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014We had a large party come in before an event. The food was fantastic and the staff ensured we were able to be finished by the time we needed to leave!Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodie88VIPDined on 8/11/2014Been to Sauce 2 other times and everything was wonderful, food was amazing, service was great, and ambiance was perfect. This time I felt the food was off, the service was awful (busboys were more attentive and knowledgable than the server), and we are now unsure if we'll ever come back. Very disappointing because we used to love Sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KillerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This place is a must for New York. Get rose she is killer and the food is awesome she takes care of you as a table. Cheers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid Italianbellbiv13VIPDined on 8/2/2014Sauce is a very good moderately priced Italian restaurant with interesting takes on its dishes. They have traditional fare with a slight twist as well as dishes to explore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The Bar was so nice and the bartenders here are awesome. The food was good, and I think you have to have the pasta to really get the full experience- otherwise it's just as comparable to the meatball shop or other competitorsSpecial Features:
- Lmh3517Dined on 8/2/2014We had a reservation for 7 and were greeted and seated immediately. The food was pretty good but the portions were extremely small. The worst part about our experience was the wait staff. After the waitress took our order it was almost impossible to get her attention when we needed more drinks or to order dessert. Getting the check also took longer than it should have.
- The following 121 reviews are from the Sauce reviews archive.
- econoinkerVIPDined on 7/30/2014Conventional red sauce Italian, but beautifully prepared and quite inexpensive. Pastas were outstanding, as were the fried zucchini sticks. There’s loud music, but it’s still possible to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Food is good, not greatPetecooksVIPDined on 7/29/2014Good food. very good and friendly service. Garlic bread was a little too heavy on the garlic. Great octopus appetizer. Parpadelle pasta was fresh but mushroom sauce was a little heavy on the oil. Salad was fresh. Zucchini sticks/Chios were VERY salty. Overall, food seemed a little heavy on the salt.Special Features:
- Good, but very overpricedTaraVIPDined on 7/28/2014Very small portions for the price paid; excellent food, mediocre service for a very high bill. I'd only recommend this to someone who had money to waste. You can easily get food that's as good for better prices (and appropriate portions) elsewhere.
- Not much to write home aboutfarolitaDined on 7/25/2014We were enough in number (16) to fill two tables we'd reserved, but management did nothing to seat us near each other when it could easily have been done. The bar was stocked with one rum and one tequila. The food was mediocre at best. Red sauce Italian with no flare. I had a salad that came looking good enough, but I doubt if it was dressed in olive oil, or at best, extra virgin; I could barely sense the sparky acidic taste of vinegar; the few pinoli seemed to be fried (pinoli are quite oil-rich and need toasting, not frying), and I could go on. I guess it works as a hangout where conviviality friends trumps the food and service. Note: It had also been quite difficult contacting restaurant by phone staff about our res.
- NateDined on 7/25/2014If you sit outside, try not to sit on the Allen St side. Lots of car noise. Aside from that, the food was awesome, especially the burrata and the lasagna. Will go back. Meatballs were damn good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in the neighborhood!ebg209Dined on 7/23/2014We usually eat family style so that everyone can try everything. In groups of 3 or more I recommend getting the plank as one of those dishes. The portions are appropriate (not too big, not too small). And remember to save room for dessert! All of them are amazing.Special Features: