56 Belden Place
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saucesf.com/
- Phone: 4153978800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-5:00pm
Dinner: M-Su 5:00pm-1:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Executive Chef: Ben Paula
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Big screen TV"s at the bar always show the local sports and national events. Sharks, Giants, A's, Niners, Raiders and Warriors (in that order)take precedence, but we will try and find whatever you are looking for.
- Cross Street: Off Kearney Between Bush & Pine
- Public Transit: Off Kearney Between Bush and Pine we are about a block and a half from the Montgomery BART/MUNI and all the market street line, the cable car is a block in the other direction @ California and the 1 buss is two blocks. All in all we are in a transit hub, you can get to us.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is easier than you think, during the day the St Mary"s Square Garage just past Kearny on Pine (right lane) offers Valet parking for the same price as the meters. At night, street parking is easy, but during the day/afternoon, use the garage.
A word from Sauce: Belden
At Sauce, we serve what we like to call "Social Cuisine" - American comfort fare so good you'll want everyone at the table to try a bite. It's shared food without the tiny plates. Come sample Chef Ben's creations along with wine or hand crafted cocktails in our new location. Enjoy outdoor patio dining, or grab a table inside. We welcome parties of all sizes, come experience what happens when Comfort Food meets California Cuisine — it could be our Tomato Bisque with white truffle grilled cheese sticks; Portobello mushroom fries; or our signature applewood-smoked-bacon wrapped meatloaf, something is sure to tickle your fancy . Stop by for lunch during the week or dinner any night between 5pm and 2am and see for yourself; what's cooking, we guarantee the kitchen until 1:30am every night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Sauce: Belden - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Sauce: Belden reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (32)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (20)great for lunch (18)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)special occasion (7)romantic (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- BettyBoopDined on 10/14/2014My friend and I had such a nice time. She was particularly thrilled with the comfort food that they present. Not only well prepared and tasteful but they were able to accommodate her particular requests such as no herbs. They also prepared a dish for me that was on the dinner menu only.Special Features:
- location didnt live up to GoughdeannaVIPDined on 10/11/2014The brussels salad was soggy and the smores were over cooked w torch.the dinners were good.
- Love SauceDianeVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was our first visit to Sauce and we plan to come back the next time we're in SF. Aaron was our server and he made us feel at home. Great tasty dishes with attractive presentations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Food SharingMerryAnnDined on 10/2/2014Perfect place for outdoor dining on a warm night. The staff was friendy and attentive, and the small plates were perfect for sharing. A great way to try lots of different dishes. We loved the bruschetta, portobello fries and mini chicken pot pies. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night at SauceSmokeDined on 9/27/2014We took off to San Francisco for a rare dinner at a new spot we found on OpenTable. The menu and location on Belden Place is what attracted us and we were not disappointed. Belden Place reminds us of a Parisian alley filled with a variety of bistros. From the moment wen we walked into Sauce we were greeted by a friendly young woman who seated us inside as we asked. The server, expediter and bar staff all gave us excellent service and attention. The food was very tasty and served at the perfect temperature: the lobster bisque with a claw on toast was enough for two. The main dish was a simple but delicious hanger steak with blue cheese and fried baked potato skins. Tina and I split both along with perfect margaritas, wine and port.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumLDogCADined on 9/27/2014We had a great evening out and it began with Sauce. Next time feel probably share- large portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun fun funrungirlsfDined on 9/26/2014we had a "buddy" reunion. we decided on sauce more on location than food. we were pleasantly surprised. the "social plates" are the way to go. we so enjoyed them that we had to reorder 3 of them. highly recommend the mushroom fries, tator tots and the bowl of bacon (maybe that was a side??). the mac n cheese is delish. we had the wine on tap...both the chardonnay and the pinot were perfect for the evening. our server made the night...so thanks Nicole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!Facino11Dined on 9/21/2014We have been to many restaurants, including several in Italy, and Sauce was by far up there with the best! A nice little get away with excellent food, great character and service, and a wonderful atmosphere. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a little bit of everything San Francisco has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerDianaVIPDined on 9/19/2014We sat outside for dinner; it felt festive and everyone seemed to be having an enjoyable evening. Husband ordered the beef stroganoff with grilled asparagus. I had the pork osso bucco with sautéed kale and fried parmesan polenta sticks. Both of our meals were wonderful and large portions. My pork was very tender as was the kale. And the polenta sticks were addictive. I tasted my husband's stroganoff; so beefy and served over wide noodles. We split the ice cream smash for dessert - coffee ice cream with marshmallows, salted caramel and chocolate sauce. It was the BEST ice cream I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Belden Place restaurantPJDivaVIPDined on 9/19/2014I've tried a number of restaurants in Belden Place, a small alley in the Financial District,with outdoor seating. This restaurant touts fresh ingredients. I had the corn and tomato salad which I found adequate but overpriced, even for San Francisco. My girlfriend had the seafood chowder which she found salty. It's a fun setting but I'm not sure I'd return.Special Features:
- Tucked away in a narrow alleyWiningaboutMarinVIPDined on 9/11/2014Sauce: Belden Place is the downtown twin of the Hayes Valley favorite. You'll find all your favorite menu items here - deviled eggs with candied bacon, mac and cheese, al the comfort foods that make Sauce great. The staff was very gracious and accommodating during my visit and the grapefruit/tequila drink was delicious.Special Features:
- A nice break from the officejustcallmeJMDined on 9/3/2014Sitting outside was great. Good service. The food was kind of meh. Not as flavorful as I remember from eating dinner at the Hayes Valley location. But a ton of food for lunch with one of their sandwich plates felt like a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service, not so great foodLyles711Dined on 8/28/2014I heard about this restaurant through Tasting Table and on Yelp so I was looking forward to liking Sauce. The outdoor seating is great and so is the service but the food my husband and I tried was pretty bland, overpriced and unimpressive. We ordered the veggie burger and Brussel sprout salad for lunch and the ham hock tater tots for an appetizer. The burger's patty was crispy but it lacked flavor.. could've used some aoli or another sauce which is strange for a place called Sauce. The salad with the so called "bacon candy" didn't taste like much either. We walked away pretty disappointed with a hefty bill, even for San Francisco.Special Features:
- I stop by every time I am in SFSometimesLazyDined on 8/27/2014Great beer, great burger, and great chicken parm. Wait staff is always prompt and friendly. Overall awesome placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced gussied up junk foodstonerfoodVIPDined on 8/27/2014It was tasty, but super expensive for what it was. No wonder they don't really put prices on their website. $21.50 for a crab louie? $27.50 for a lobster roll? The ambiance is terrific. The service was great. Belden lane is awesome for an outside lunch, but I'll go back to Plouf or Brindisi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need more controlReneeKimDined on 7/24/2014I love the food at Sauce but this time, management did not have control of out of control patrons. At a table next to us a woman celebrating her birthday and already apparently intoxicated continued to receive additional shots from the server. The noise escalated and was absolutely disturbing to other patrons. I will continue to come here because the food is terrific as long as management starts to take control and manages the out of control patrons.Special Features:
- SauceYUMMYVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had excellent food and it was so fun with 4 of us to try so many different things. Our waiter Derek was very good. He gave us time to slowly eat before we made another order as the food came fast. He was also very pleasant.Special Features:
- Great drinks and overall good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/2/2014Drinks were very good, the appetizers and soups as well. Lobster roll was just OK and for $27 I expected more than a hotdog bun with lobster bits in it. Come on !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicewilagirlDined on 6/27/2014The best part of our experience was the exceptional service. I wish I'd gotten our server's name - it wasn't even the one who was technically assigned to our table but he made sure we had great food recommendations and was super attentive. All in all a great experience. I'll be dreaming about their cronut dessert for awhile... absolutely delicious (and a recommendation from our server!)Special Features:
- The following 129 reviews are from the Sauce: Belden reviews archive.
- Late night biteRookiefoodieDined on 6/11/2014We had the mini meatloaf, mushroom fries, and vegetarian strudel. The mushroom fries and strudel were excellent!!! The place was a little hard to find. We walked past it initially but we're impressed with the food alley set up when we finally found it.Special Features:
- DianasDined on 6/6/2014Overall pretty good, but a bit too much fried food for me.Special Features:
- Noise level!!!!instabretVIPDined on 6/5/2014Food, service great but the noise level off the charts. If I were to go back I would either sit outside or go to the City Hall location.Special Features:
- Eating outsideFoodieVIPDined on 6/5/2014I made a reservation so that our party of 6 could eat inside if it was cold outside. Indeed, once we got there on this chilly night, I was told that there was no room inside to eat. So we had to eat outside and now I have a cold. Thank you Sauce!Special Features:
- MalGalDined on 5/24/2014I loved this place! The bacon wrapped meatloaf was great! We sat at the bar after dinner and ended up talking with one of the owners. He was very friendly. It was a great place!Special Features:
- Great little place~314littlebearDined on 5/16/2014The place has a nice ambiance. However since I took my parents (Asian from Taiwan) there, they all said that the food was too salty. But for me since I lived in the states for a while I thought it was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs Up!GoodfoodDined on 5/16/2014Great food, service and drinks. Will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for after work on a FridaylizabrightDined on 5/16/2014It's not always easy to find a spot to go on a Friday night downtown that's not packed, too much of a bar scene, or expensive. Sauce has great appetizers and small dishes so you can either do expensive or budget dinner with a great happy hour drink special. We got a table for four even though 2 of our party took awhile to show up. Our server was great about everything including 2 credit cards and cash payment. By 9 pm when we left - it was getting more crowded - so keep in mind. There are outdoor and indoor seating options.
- Our group had a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014We were a group of 15 gathering for an after work event and everyone was very happy from start to finish. Highlights were the food as it was ultimate comfort food and a bit of everything for every appetite and taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food - good for work lunchChrisVIPDined on 5/12/2014Made a reservation here for me and a handful of coworkers during a stretch of nice weather here in SF. Fun outdoor seating area in a cool alley... along with a few other restaurants. Burger was good. Was a quick lunch, service was kind and friendly. Not sure what it's like after business hours, but for lunch and outdoor seating it's great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but subduedBGinSFDined on 5/10/2014I took two out-of-town guests to Sauce: Belden on a Saturday night, having had wonderful experiences at Sauce: Hayes Valley on several occasions. We couldn't get a last-minute reservation to the Hayes Valley spot, but Belden had great availability. It ends up that the place on Belden is *empty* on weekends! Much like other bars and restaurants in the financial district, the place clears out when the businesses are shut down. On the plus side, we had easy seating, attentive service, and a quiet atmosphere to enjoy the delicious menu that I've come to appreciate. Everything was fantastic! The down side was we missed the buzz that you get at Hayes. Still, for a quiet evening out in a cozy and top-notch SF restaurant, this is a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place I've been to in a whileMUguruVIPDined on 5/10/2014Absolutely would recommend this place to anyone. The duck wontons were crispy and pleasently seasoned. The bacon wrapped meatloafs were amazing. I had the chicken parmasean for dinner and it was perfect. On weekends for dinner they block off the street and create dinning outsidr which is lovely and I will definitely be going back very soon. P.s. the strawberries and cream and cronuts are to die for! I sound like I'm getting paid to say all this but it truely is just a great restarunt to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulBongoDined on 4/26/2014The food , service and overall experience was terrific. Low key. A very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A big hit with usSalesguyDined on 4/23/2014We chose Sauce: Belden based on Open Table reviews and our need for a reservation for 10. Great food. Casual atmosphere. We were a group of 10 men having a dinner while in town for a meeting. I would not recommend as a location to have a meeting meal but, for a group gathering, it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FindkdgradyVIPDined on 4/21/2014Incredible hidden gem in the middle of the financial district. The food was outstanding, from the savory meatloaf appetizer to delicious dessert sampler and everything in between, the meal was amazing. Loved the location in the alley between the buildings, such a beautiful, unique setting.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD HERENYtravelerVIPDined on 4/19/2014What a find! Friendly waitstaff and great food. While I thought it was just a bit pricey, everything we ordered was divine. We ate the steak (but swapped out potatoes for the corn meal sticks) and also ordered the cobb salad. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Not so hotFoodieToodieDined on 4/19/2014Service was very good, nice staff. Food was not very good.
- Yummy!Jewl1185Dined on 4/12/2014Came recommended from our hotel's front desk worker. Did not disappoint!Special Features:
- Wonderful!brittanygDined on 4/12/2014Dined here for my birthday after discovering it online. It is delicious and fun. We sat outside under heaters and were very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and made sure we were satisfied. The food was amazing and unique. I definitely recommend the chicken Parmesan :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb comfort foodThunderDined on 4/9/2014Sauce on Belden has the excellent cuisine found in their original location on Gough, but the space has more of a casual "bar" atmosphere throughout, rather than the more formal, Gough dining room with table cloths. The service from our bartender was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location Location LocationcompanydinnerDined on 4/4/2014Sauce is in a very festive and European-ish alley of many restaurants. We ate lunch outside. The food came quickly and was delicious. I'm gluten-free and they were very understanding and confidently listed the items i could have. A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.