Rosa Mexicano - San Francisco
30 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 4158744300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday -Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday 5:30pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Saturday 4:00pm - 7:00pm
*Closed on Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: David Suarez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d"ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. Please contact SFteam@rosamexicano.com at 415.874.4300.
- Entertainment: We offer three TVs in the bar area. On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
FESTIVAL DE HELADOS | JULY 31-AUG 24
Desserts inspired by classic savory dishes such as guacamole, tamales and empanadas, and paired with handmade ice creams and sorbets infused with Mexican flavors ranging from prickly pear to chili-spiced chocolate.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - San Francisco
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano"s menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, prepared in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared table side and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the stylish and festive ambiance that includes our dramatic 15 ft. water wall.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rosa Mexicano - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (65)great for lunch (58)fit for foodies (34)great for outdoor dining (31)vibrant bar scene (27)special occasion (27)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (16)romantic (14)great for brunch (11)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- So much fun!BirgitVIPDined on 8/28/2014Rosa Mexicano is a wonderful spot to spend lunch outside and then stay some more. Their Pomegranate Margaritas are outstanding! And always order the Guacamole.Special Features:
- DisappointingCrunchLunchFanDined on 8/26/2014I used to really like Rosa Mexicano and came here often. But they no longer have the Lunch Crunch option (a little soup, a little guac, a small taco and flan), which was my favorite. A lot of variety and not too much of anything. This time a friend and I each ordered soup (still good) and quesadillas to share (just okay). The restaurant wasn't crowded but the service wasn't very good, and they brought us the wrong quesadillas. Nothing major, but disappointing all the same. I just didn't enjoy it and don't think I'll be going back.
- It's all about the guacOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014This table-side guacamole service is fabulous; easy to load up on chips and skip the entree. But don't, because the fish tacos are worth skipping the appetizer. Happy hour is a great deal and if alcohol isn't your thing the watermelon water, agua fresca, is delicious.Special Features:
- Great service and atmosphereMelissaVIPDined on 8/22/2014The entire wait staff was great. We felt very well taken care of throughout the evening. We asked if we could stay at our table and chat longer and they were very accomadating. Unfortunately, the food wasn't good. We were both disappointed and my friend left half a plate. Still, if you are n the neighborhood, grabbing a cocktail and a botana might not be a bad idea.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014The guacamole is too die for. Probably the best I have had in quite sometime. Ask for them to make it extra spicy you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough to make mexican fancyListentoAndyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Wait staff was confused and delayed. Considering the restaurant was only 50% full this was a bit disappointing. It took 20 minutes to have appetizers served, and then entrees followed to quickly leaving a bulk of things on the table. Fish and Chicken were not favorites at the table but the pork was fabulous. Not too bad, but not a place to take someone you were trying to impress.
- BlechJoeindamissionVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great location. Great guacamole. Really blaaaahhhh food. I got the 'tres enchiladas' and I could only eat the cheese enchilada. None of us (four in total) liked our entres. Appetizers were good. Beautiful people. Bad food.
- Amazing Guac!sarahdDined on 8/9/2014The best place for Guacamole! Made at the table, delicious. Staff are fabulous. Will be back!Special Features:
- Great 1st AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I had a lovely lunch date for our 1st year wedding anniversary. The staff were so kind and welcoming and the food was awesome!Special Features:
- Poor service, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/8/2014The food at Rosa's is really, really, good. We 4 had the veggie taco, the short ribs, the enchiladas, and the steak fajita (or taco...can't remember). Everyone loved each dish. The guacamole, made table-side was wonderful, maybe the best I've had. And the desserts were generous and delicious. But the server got every single phase of the meal wrong, failed to bring iced tea (We had to remove it from the bill) got the margarita orders wrong, the guacamole order wrong and the entrée order wrong. Seriously. At each step of the way he and the staff were polite, apologetic, etc. So no problem with attitude, they were professional and friendly. Just got most things wrong. It was weird.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has become way overpriced...FlyerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Rosa has become way overpriced. We paid $65 for lunch and we shared a meal and had one margarita each. The drink glasses were small and not very good. I used to like this brand. I will not be going back.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/6/2014Great place for a group, or even for 2, Happy Hour price deals, very friendly staff, everybody were helpful and attentive. Food was good a little overpriced for Mexican food, but worth it for a special occasion. Drinks were good, strong and the happy hour prices are great and a wide selection of Tequila. Front house staff were friendly and accommodating. Only issue was the restrooms, no toilet paper and no paper towels in the ladies.Special Features:
- I had a great lunch with coworkersSFfoodieDined on 8/6/2014The day before our team meeting my coworkers wanted to talk about where we should go and have lunch the next day. I'm on Rosa's email list and thought it would be a great place to have lunch as a group. It was a fabulous place! We all loved our food and drinks but absolutely loved the guacamole! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Food!NanceVIPDined on 8/6/2014Rosa Mexicano has the best Mexican food in the area and the drinks are delicious as well. I would recomment to anyone in the neighborhood or if you need a quick spot for a business lunch this place is ideal.Special Features:
- Great foodCathDined on 7/30/2014The food was ourstanding, and the service and staff were very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive mexican foodLuv2eatDined on 7/29/2014Pricey for quesadillas and fish tacos -$15 each at lunch. I won't return.Special Features:
- Nice surprise!TiffyPopsDined on 7/23/2014First time at Rosa Mexicano - my friends and I had it on our list to try out. We took a friend there for her birthday and we found it to be very nice! We enjoyed the décor and ambiance - the restaurant is a lot bigger inside than it looks on the outside. The hostess and servers were really nice. We each had the 3 item pre fixe - I had empanadas for the starter, fish tacos for entrée, dessert was churros with a chocolate dip - everything was great! Service in the beginning was good, but slowed a little during the meal... but the restaurant was pretty busy. All in all, a really nice lunch enjoyed by all of us. We'd come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014My husband and I had a delicious dinner at the SFO restaurant! We actually had the guacamole and I had the salmon. I know one doesn't usually think of fish at a Mexican restaurant, and it was fabulous! The black beans were creamy and we loved the ambience. It was a wonderful dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Karen2845Dined on 7/11/2014This was my first visit to Rosa Mexicano and it exceeded my expectations! The restaurant is lively, the menu has something for everyone, and the tableside guacamole was delicious! Friendly and courteous wait staff: they explained the menu, offered suggestions and were attentive to our needs. We were very pleased with overall service and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- FoodClaimsTeam5Dined on 7/10/2014We were a party of 5. First, the guacamole was excellent and the best item on the menu. Two of us really liked what was ordered. One was carnitas tacos and a chicken dish (can't remember the name). Those two dishes were very good. Two of us ordered the Chili Releno. We both hated it. It was dry and stuffed with rice and no cheese that we could see. The actual chili was hard, almost raw and didn't seem cooked completely. The batter around the chili was hard and dry. There was very little sauce on the plate under the chili releno. Neither one of us was able to finish it. The 5th order was a steak quesadilla which had very little cheese and the person that had ordered it had asked for medium rare and it was well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and FireworksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014It's my favorite place at New Years and 4th of july when I come to town from LA!Special Features:
- great bar scene, so so foodmamakeestDined on 7/2/2014Ambience is great, bar scene was lively. Dinner was mediocre, heavy cheese on chicken, no flavor. Steak looked good but tasted like charcoal. however the churros were amazing! go for a drink or the churros but elsewhere to eat.Special Features:
- Fantastic Dining ExperiencepammyDined on 7/1/2014It was my third visit to Rosa Mexicano. The moment my guest and I entered in the doors everyone was very friendly and pleasant. On my third dining experience one of my guest had never been to the restaurant and by the time we left she said she would definitely return for another for another dining experience. Food and service was awesome as always! I anticipate my fourth dining experience soon!Special Features:
- Good food. Great Service.LuluDined on 6/27/2014Food: Started with the made to order at your table guacamole- absolutely fantastic and great smoked chipotle and green salsa on the side! Ceviche tacos were the best tacos of the night. If you like truffle oil you'll love these! We had the shrimp tacos and carnitas tacos for dinner with mexican style corn on the cobb. The corn was delicious but the shrimp and pork tacos were kind of bland in flavor. THE CHURROS!!- Best I've ever had. Would go back just for these. SERVICE: Impeccable. The gentleman who made our guacamole was so friendly and our server gave GREAT recommendations specifically with our tequila flight. Shared stories about the history of tequila and was very informative and entertaining. Great ambiance too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it gets!AlaMexicanaDined on 6/27/2014This is one of the best Mexican restaurants in the Bay and definitely top in San Francisco. The pomegranate margaritas are the bomb and that table side prepared guacamole will send you through the roof.Special Features:
- Gilt City OfferOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/25/2014We used our Gilt City offer. The food was delicious and we were quite full by the end that we did not finish dessert. Thank you for hosting a great deal!Special Features:
- Stick with tacos skip the saladsFoodie618Dined on 6/24/2014then you will enjoy your meal if you stay with the house specials... the guacamole table side is a treat and must have. However, don't dine here for lunch if you are in a hurry... wait for entrees can take a long time even when they are not so busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperiencejasvirkDined on 6/23/2014went for second wedding anniversary dinner and it was very specialSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2014The food was good. Our server was not attentive and we often had to flag him down in order to order more drinks or refills on our water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a Date or Group DiningFabSFDined on 6/13/2014My new office team treated me to a welcome lunch on Fri. 6/13/14 and we had a wonderful. Our head count increased by 3 people which was more then the original reservation was for. The hostesses and wait staff quickly added an additional table and had all of us seated in less than 5 minutes. Our watress was freindly, fast and knowledgable about the menu as well as what types of ingredients were used. The table side guacamole preparation was made quickly and the end result was enjoyed by everyone. Only positive comments on our individual meals and everyone was happy and full when we left. I plan on going back and felt it was an all around great experience. Being located a 2 blocks away from my office and the Ferry Building is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kaceehamkaceehamDined on 6/12/2014Great spot for birthday dinner with friends. Fun, festive atmosphere, table side guac = yum. Portions were perfectly sized, we all got tacos and enjoyed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!Posey12VIPDined on 6/11/2014Loved our server. He recommended some great drinks and entrees. The fish tacos were a hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for GroupsCompanyLunchesDined on 6/11/20147 of us from the office went to lunch here. They had the table ready and they service was fast. Food was excellent. Thanks!Special Features:
- Guacamole a hit!Blue01Dined on 6/9/2014Good was good but a little pricey. Service not too good. Took so long to get food that I had to get some to go as we were headed Giants game and was there over hour. Never got my Shrimp Ceviche and was charged! Guacamole was awesome!Special Features:
- Very Disappointing ExperienceplongwalkingsVIPDined on 6/9/2014Service was incredibly slow. Waiter continually disappeared. Had to ask the busser serveral times to have our waiter come back to our table. It took at least 20 minutes for two Iced Teas to arrive. The food arrived after a 40 minute wait, and one dish arrived cold. Before making the reservation I noted reviews which also described the slow service. I thought certainly after seeing these reviews, the management would have rectified this complaint. We went in with a fresh expectation for good food and at least reasonably timely service. Unfortunately, the long wait, the continual disappearance of our waiter, and food arriving cold only confirmed previous reviews. What can one say about a restaurant which apparantly just doesn't care?
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2014Had great food and great service. Loved the guacamole bowls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy Place, Slow ServiceYummyInMyTummyVIPDined on 6/4/2014Seated quickly, but with no menus. Once we had menus, it was another long wait to order. From the time we were seated, to the time we got our food was almost 40 minutes. Had to eat quickly to make a meeting. 1 hour lunch is not long enough if you don't want to rush.Special Features:
- Awkward serviceLibbyDined on 6/4/2014Making a reservation was difficult. I reserved for 6 people originally, then 4 more wanted to come. Can't do through OT; called resto. Can't do it with front desk; have to email "catering manager" who was not there at the time. My email bounced back. Called again. Finally got it changed. Then, when we got there, service was similar: waiter was inattentive and slow. Food was nice, though, and if you don't mind a l-o-n-g lunch, it's great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food-Financial DistrictRdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 5/30/2014Overall excellent food. Quite pricey for Mexican esp if you are an SF native who frequents the Mission but the quality is high and very fresh. Service was fine and friendly - though inconvenient i.e. you can't order happy hour stuff and then sit down to dinner and add that to your whole check. You have to close out the check for happy hour and then start another bill inside. A hassle and not customer friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring back the crunch lunch!CrunchLunchFanDined on 5/27/2014The food, service and ambiance at Rosa Mexicana is great. I think I eat here almost once a month and my favorite meal has been the crunch lunch. You get (well, you DID get) a nice assortment of their specialties: a little guacamole, a small cup of soup, a taco and flan. No more! The $19 two-course is both too much food and not enough variety. This has been my go-to place in the neighborhood since they opened, but if there's no crunch lunch, I'm not as interested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.