Roka Akor - San Francisco
801 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Roka Akor - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rokaakor.com/locations/san-francisco/
- Phone: (415) 362-8887
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour 7 days a week.
In Roka Bar 4:30pm-6:30pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Roman Petry
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Occasional DJ performance in Roka Bar
- Special Events: Join us for $1.00 Oysters in Roka Bar every Sunday
Happy Hour daily from 4:30pm-6:30pm and again at 9:30pm to close.
A word from Roka Akor - San Francisco
ROKA AKOR San Francisco is an exciting new addition to the vibrant luxury dining scene, a stylish prime steak, seafood and sushi restaurant that specializes in Robata "open charcoal" cuisine. Located in the heart of Jackson Square, the restaurant features a main dining room area anchored by an open-flame Robata grill, and an underground ROKA BAR, which serves handcrafted cocktails, whiskey, super-premium sake, house-infused shochu and an extensive wine list. ROKA AKOR’s menu features prime cuts of steaks, seafood, and vegetables with unique Japanese-inspired marinades and sauces, along with sushi, sashimi, tempura, and extraordinary desserts. ROKA AKOR is committed to locally sourcing as many ingredients as possible. The menu will change regularly to reflect seasonal offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Roka Akor - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Roka Akor - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)special occasion (65)good for groups (59)hot spot (56)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (28)romantic (28)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (18)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great japanese foodRichardDined on 11/25/2014If you like Nobu then you will love this place. The special Tuna Sashimi was wonderful both in taste and presentation. For something less fishy the lamb chops were excellent. The service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- variety!LovelyluncherDined on 11/22/2014We will return...there were so many amazing dishes leaving the kitchen. We never made it to the beef dishes after filling up on fantastic sushi. The scallop "roll" was unbelievable--creamy core within the rice and a slice of singed scallop on top. The plain sushi was brilliant--amberjack and others all tip-top fresh! Of course we were sidetracked by wonderful brussel sprouts and the roasted corn. What variety...all better than expected with over the top presentations that made our group happy with every course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeniseDined on 11/19/2014Great restaurant. Loved the food and their presentations. Was with a group of eight so we sat in the private room so I can't comment on the noise-level in the main dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2014Head Chef Justin hits it out of the park. The food is approachable but sophisticated. Do not miss the truffled scallop. Justin's willingness to share his knowledge about the food he prepares makes for a fantastic experience. Not only did we eat well but we also gained new insight about the food of Japan. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ExperienceXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDined on 11/12/2014The food was good, but expensive. You have to order the entrée and the sides separately which requires a lot of coordination between the waiter and the kitchen. We had a group of 9 people for an early dinner. Four of our group ordered the Black Cod dish and one person do not get their cod entrée until well into the meal. We had to ask where it was. We ordered a number of "sides" and a couple of then did not show up until we inquired about them almost at the end of the meal. The waiter then spilled the "French Press coffee" on two of the party members. For the price and the lead time required for a reservation, I expected a much more professional dinning experience.
- Whichever way you look at it, it's good!CpastaDined on 11/12/2014Whether you like tataki, sushi or other Asian themed food, Roka-Akor (same read backward or forward) is a wonderful oasis serving delicious food. It also has a very good sake and spirits menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skibumDined on 11/5/2014If you love sushi, you'll be blown away by all the delicious small plates that makes the meal fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi addition to SFAlanADined on 10/31/2014Great sushi and ambiance. Professionally put together menu with great dishes + settings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour in the Bar...GoodTasteDined on 10/30/2014Wanted to try it out.. highly discounted from normal menu.. I'd go back.. fun date spot,, not bad for a small group as well although the girls sitting next to me were screeching and hooting.. their uncouth demeanor was a bit offsetting but hey... it's a mixed bag out in SF and you take what you can get... First waitress dropped us water and menus and looked to be a great server, then she completely disappeared for about 20 minutes and I had to call another waitress! Not good Food was a B+.. will replace Umami Sushi for a while.. not nearly as cheap a happy hour but still pretty good for value.. Sushi tasted a little canned... came to $100 w/ 4 cocktails, 3 rolls, and 2 apps.. Sad to report, that's a "Deal" in Jackson Square, SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shelly1954Dined on 10/29/2014Last year it was much better. Quality of food has declined as well as the level of service and our waitress didn't know the menu as well as the waitress we had last year. Will not go again.
- Great presentation with good foodTommyDined on 10/28/2014Our server introduced herself and after bringing us water, she didn't come back to take our order. I had to flag down one of the other servers (who turns out to be one of the managers) to ask questions and take our order. She was very pleasant and had great suggestions to our needs. I'm not going to fault the original server as the manager took great care of us thereafter. My friends were all visiting from the UK and they thought the restaurant have great atmosphere with great food so they would certainly come back if they came back to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014We read the glowing reviews on Yelp and others so the expectations were high and have to say they were met in every aspect. This is a place where you want to eat "family style"...the portions are adequate...and the service was stellar. Our server was willing to give us recommendations along with items we chose and each one was delicious. The medium rare filet was mouth watering as was the flat iron wagyu. Each came already sliced and easy to share. We also shared a generous portion of miso black cod that was equally as good. For appetizers we had a chef selection of sashimi that was presented in a beautiful raised bowl that was decorated with sea shells and ice. We also shared a butterfish appetizer and hamachi roll...all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just blown away!PillowbugDined on 10/21/2014We got there exactly at 7:45 for our reservation and was seated immediately (this was a Tuesday night, mind you). So, good start. We were seated in a corner that seemed a little further away from the action of the kitchen, but it ended up being quite intimate. The service was very attentive and personable. We ordered the Omakase for two and decided to put our blind faith in the chef. EVERYTHING WAS AMAZING It was wonderful. Omakase is the way to go for your first time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/21/2014The food was excellent. The only drawbacks were the decor, which is best described as upscale cafeteria, and our server's miscue of having our main courses arrive while we were still eating our appetizers. I sent the mains back. They got the message and slowed the pace. My only guess is that our server actually thought he was in a cafeteria, so he was adopting an appropriate pace.I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/21/2014We (table of 3) had an early dinner this week at Roka Akor. The service and food were impeccable - we ordered various nigiri, rolls, cold appetizers and hot food plus the 'sabayon' for dessert. Everything was beautifully prepared and tasted wonderful. The sabayon was out of this world good - not used to good desserts at Japanese restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousNot21Dined on 10/12/2014Saki is King here and the wait staff is thoroughly educated on all aspects of this refreshing drink. I believe there were 4-pages to choose from! I have never seen food presented in this way. Breathtaking. The quality; unparalleled and combinations were a fabulous, international collaboration. The bar is a must see and has it's own level. The lighting is romantic, the bar itself, made of an enormous redwood trunk, intimate areas with lounge seating and low "coffee" tables. The bar also serves a full menu. An amazing place to return for a variety of occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great artistic foodmikeyclimbVIPDined on 10/2/2014we sat at the bar restaurant is modern, sleek ad a bit noisy. food was wonderful in it's artistic presentation and super freshness each ingredient easily came thru sake was a bit bland and overpriced probably should follow the Asian lead and drink tea or beer we have already made reservations to return on our next trip to SF this is a "can't miss"Special Features:
- Best food in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014I love this place!! My new go-to restaurant in San FranciscoSpecial Features:
- Fabulous experienceEricINnaplesDined on 9/25/2014The ambiance was wonderful, but the food and service were the stars. One of the best restaurants I have experienced.Special Features:
- DisappointedVIPDined on 9/23/2014Indifferent service ethic, slow food delivery, loud and unaccommodating in every way. Some types of awfulness defy description. Suffice to say they really don't care about you. Avoid.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014Loved my meal, ambiance was excellent and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FRESH FISH!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/20/2014We are purists - fish was amazing... Sake list was great, and server suggested a sake that was absolutely amazing. and we are picky!!Special Features:
- ExtravagantDrewPaikVIPDined on 9/18/2014I'd say that there's not much to complain about Roka other than the prices. The food is decent, but not extraordinary. The decor and service are very nice, but you definitely end up paying for it. A word for for the wise: portions are difficult to predict, so it's very easy to over-order, making an expensive meal even more so.Special Features:
- Amazing for lunch/dinner/drinks!!!JRthewinoVIPDined on 9/15/2014What a find! The bar and lounge is amazingly intimate with an awesome vibe and great cocktails. The food is just spot on and the staff is amazingly hospitable. I loved the chateau pegau Syrah. What a steal! I met the GM, Leilani, a few times now...ask for her and she will quickly make friends and be sure you have a great experience. So lucky to have found this place. I'll continue to be there constantly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi/Sashimi!blovesfoodDined on 9/13/2014This was our first time at Roka Akor. We ordered a selection of sushi rolls and sashimi - the tuna was the best! First time I tried sea urchin, and it was exquisite! The Japanese beef is amazing and melts in your mouth - worth the price. Black cod was very flavorful and highly recommended. We ordered too much food for the table, but everything was delicious. My husband also enjoyed the Saketini (gin and sake). The prices are reasonable and the service was very attentive. The place is a little bit on the noisy side, but didn't bother us too much as we had a window seat and was away from other tables.Special Features:
- Interesting...oncekimax2Dined on 9/12/2014Eclectic sushi and unique grill, efficient service tilting towards promoting items possibly not worth having, particularly at the price.
- Always a hitLLSSVIPDined on 9/4/2014Really enjoyed our time here. We even bought our 6 week old baby and we were given an extra chair to put her car seat on. Of course, we were ready to hop out if baby started crying, but she never did. The restaurant has a wide open dining room and little textile, so it gets a bit loud during dinner. But that was perfect to blend the little noises our baby made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JokeJokeDined on 9/1/2014Service was amazing. Imagine the worst service....And epic prices. Enjoy.
- Does not disappointkaffeinadiktDined on 8/31/2014We had an amazing meal at Roka SF, or food experience, as my husband calls it. From the moment we walked in the door, service was top notch. We enjoy sushi so try a variety of items from the menu but if someone was not a sushi fan, there are many wonderful items to choose from. We actually first discovered Roka in Chicago when looking for a nontraditional steak house. It was a fantastic meal there so we knew we had to go when travelling in SF. Once again, roka did not let us down and was a wonderful evening. Our faves: butterfish tataki, wagyu and kimchi dumplings, sweet corn Also delicious: beef tataki, pork belly, chef's choice sashimi, and the steaks were cooked to a perfect med-rare. Make your reservation now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ExperienceJinnieDined on 8/30/2014Our friend recommended trying this restaurant. Upon arriving we were greeted immediately, she was very kind. About 5 minutes later we were seated by the window. He had the view of the window and I had the view of the open kitchen. I enjoyed everything very much, but he had a hard time having to turn around to see what I was talking about. The food was good, but I wouldn't say it is unique. We were a little disappointed with the Toro since it had a thick strip of muscle right through the middle. The scallop with Truffle was my favorite and recommendation. The steak was hard on the outside so I cut mine and ate the inside which was fabulous. The chocolate cake with ice cream was perfect!Special Features:
- Amazing steak and seafood!SmileVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were blown away by the food at Roka. Each item we ordered was so super delicious. We started with the toro tartar, wagyu tartar, scallop with truffle, and sea urchin cold appetizers. We had the wagyu flat iron steak and the prime ribeye. The quality of the beef was one of the best in the city and they cooked it to a perfect medium rare. Can't wait to go back and try some of their other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wagyu WonderlandGodotDined on 8/29/2014Get the Omakase and share it with a special person. Avoid the "isle of despair" mixed drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting FoodParadiseVIPDined on 8/29/2014All i can say is WOW! The group wanted sushi so i took a shot at this place it is amazing. Fresh fish prepared as you never have had it before and all the wonderful flavors you can imagine and some you can't.....
- fantastic as always1bartenderVIPDined on 8/28/2014this is my favorite restaurant in sf. food is always he best, atmosphere is fabulous, staff are very wonderful, drinks, wine/champagne list is great. love this place and will be back soon.tSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Japanese RestaurantScottVIPDined on 8/27/2014Delicious Food served in beautiful way in a very attractive restaurant. One of the best restaurants in SF. Many Japanese dishes (steak, BBQ meats and vegetables) that you don't often find in America. Truly delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Food was good -- not inexpensive but high quality. Service was quite bad.
- Definitely splurge-worthyDennyADined on 8/22/2014We don't spring for pricey meals often, but last night my husband and I went for the $128 (per person!) omakase menu--and weren't disappointed one bit. Everything, from the menu choices to the prep and presentation, was top notch. My husband doesn't normally like sea urchin, but the way it was served here -- with a squeeze of lime on top of (pork?) crisps -- he couldn't get enough. The sashimi platter was divine, as was the perfectly grilled wagyu beef, accompanied by corn on the cob quarters grilled in a buttery soy sauce. The dessert platter was over the top -- seriously, enough for four people. And these are just the highlights--no room here for a complete accounting. Ask for a corner table to minimize noise, and definitely go.Special Features:
- Surprisingly SatisfiedjaygatsbyDined on 8/21/2014I though this place was going to be just all about the ambience, but boy was I surprised. The fish was fresh, Uni was super fresh and some of the best I've tasted in awhile. The rib eye was cooked rare to perfection. I can only say that the mushroom rice could've been better - it was overpowered by the ginger and you couldn't taste the mushroom or truffle. Other than that, the dining experience was fantastic. I'd definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but terrible acousticsSmartyartblastVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had the tasting menu. It was very good and worth the splurge. But unfortunately the restaurant has concrete floors and hard surfaces everywhere which translates to deafening noise.Special Features:
- Great experiencecarlotinaDined on 8/16/2014Amazing food, spectacular service. Will come back again and again.Special Features: