175 North Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.riccardosnorthend.com/
- Phone: 6177203994
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: Private dinning room for party of all sizes overlooking Paul Revere House in historic North Square. * several meal plans available * meal plans created to accomodate all budgets * for more information call Richie Jr. 617-593-0777
A word from Riccardo's
Riccardo's Ristorante is located in the North End neighborhood of Boston and is a family run business which has been recognized by local and national known food critiques as one of the best authentic Italian Restaurants in Boston. Now being run by Richie Jr., Riccardo's has the same fine standards and quality of food as always. The staff is highly trained and knowledgeable about every item on the menu. Unlike other Italian restaurants in the neighborhood Ricardo's never skimps on portions. Come and visit. Renew your love for Riccardo's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Riccardo's reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (30)special occasion (22)romantic (20)fit for foodies (13)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (7)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great food, service could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014I came here with two girlfriends and we're not picky whatsoever. The manager was very friendly and accommodating. The service could be better. I think we got someone in training but that was never told to us nor were the specials. Again, my party could careless but some people do. We had a great time just with each other's company and I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Goodnochains4meDined on 8/31/2014Found this place using the Open Table app. Reviews were mixed but we found everything to be very good. The stuffed meatball appetizer was great and the bread was perfect. Service was spot on. A very good traditional Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhyllisVIPDined on 8/30/2014Highly recommend this restaurant for food and service. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Got my red sauce fixMainerDined on 8/30/2014We chose Riccardo's based on having an open reservation at the time we needed that same day and we were all in the mood for Italian. The restaurant was jam packed at 7:00pm on a Saturday but our table was ready and it was on the second floor which is quieter and roomier than the main level. We all enjoyed our meals and the red sauce hit the spot. The one negative was the service which was slower than we would have liked and not very attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nelson ClanNelsonClanDined on 8/29/2014We went with 9 people. It was excellent everything. Found Riccardo's trying to make a reservation to another restaurant in Boston; open table popped up. Best thing that could of happened. would recommend Riccardo's and open table to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but not greatSomeoneSomewhereVIPDined on 8/24/2014There are better alternatives in the North End at this price point if you come for the food. That said, the atmosphere was very pleasant, the service was good, it's not on a noisy street so summer dining with the windows open is very nice, and they validate parking, which knocks $15 off the bill! And the food was good, just not exquisite as it is at a couple of other places.
- Great food, poor serviceScottMVIPDined on 8/23/2014We really enjoyed the stuffed meatballs and veal gnocchi. But to get to the great food we had to deal with the grumpy old man at the hostess stand. We walked up on time for our reservations but couldn't be seated until we finished what was clearly an unpleasant conversation he was having with a family member over the phone. That went on for about five minutes before he acknowledged us. We couldn't help but feel he was upset with us for disturbing his horrible phone call. Once we were finally seated upstairs our server could have spent a little more time serving instead of chasing the cute little co worker. Not sure about a return visit.Special Features:
- Good for a Special OcassionTubesDined on 8/15/2014Riccardo's was a great last minute find for a large party we hastily arranged to celebrate a 12th birthday. Nine of us were seated on time, the service was excellent and the food was tasty and a good value compared to other restaurants in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Italian!NewcomerVIPDined on 8/2/2014This is the second time we've been to this restaurant. The food is very good. The place is a little small, but the service and the food is too good to pass up. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Will definitely go back!dinneroutDined on 7/28/2014Food was delicious and the service was great! We will definitely dine at Riccardo's when we are back in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Riccardo'sJuice28Dined on 7/25/2014Great place. Owner is a great guy had us seated fast and food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly What We Were Looking ForBizDinnerDined on 7/22/2014We were looking for a nice place for a party of 10 in the North End and a local recommended Riccardo's. It is located across the street from Paul Revere's house. They had no problem accommodating us and our table was ready as soon as we arrived. Everyone in the party complimented the food and those of us who drank wine enjoyed the selection recommended to us by the waiter. All in all a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for small quantitiesJakeDined on 7/21/2014The food is very good, but the high prices for small quantities makes this place not worth it. My plate was $29, and didn't even come with a vegetable.Special Features:
- Average Sums It UpProfessorJBDined on 7/19/2014We had reservations for 5 of us, and arrived half an hour early. They were able to seat us immediately, even on a Saturday night at 6. The order was taken quickly and pleasantly, but took quite awhile for it to come out. Maybe if we had ordered apps, the wait might not have felt as long. The pasta dishes ordered were good - daughter love her Gnocchi, and two others enjoyed the Fettuccine. My Maila (a stuffed pork loin) was a big chewy/tough, and not all that flavorful. Wife liked her Veal Marsala. Kind of a sad, limited beer selection. No drafts, and no craft beers or microbrews in bottles. No complaints, nothing to rave about. Overall, average food, not particularly inspired. We enjoyed dinner, but will try someplace else next time.Special Features:
- location, location, locationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014I made a reservation but the table wasn't ready. Not only did it take half an hour to seat us, but they sat other parties ahead of us. They got one of our orders wrong. We had to ask twice to get some more water. And the broccoli rabe side that we ordered wasn't only late but an inedible mush when it arrived. Obviously, this place survives on reputation and location. My meal was good but not stellar and certainly not worth the trouble.
- Great summer outdoor dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014Riccardo's is a long time Lake Grove spot. In the Summer, their outdoor patio in back with fountains puts you miles away from Boone's Ferry Road. They did not have our OpenTable reservation, despite me having a confirmation, but we were seated promptly. On this visit I found the food fine but unremarkable (I had a hanger steak dish). They seem to excel at the Italian classics, i.e. veal dishes, lasagna, etc. They have a great wine list but I brought my own this time, which was properly served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such service!kelliecartDined on 7/11/2014It was my daughter's 25th birthday and the we were a group of 8 going out to celebrate. Our party came in in dribs and drabs and the host had us wait at the bar without making us feel guilty. When we all arrived and I let him know he asked if we wanted to wait for a just a few more minutes and he could get us a prime table. It was wonderful, by the open window, all 8 of us together. Our waiter, who had followed us from the bar, Mike, was just great, attentive without being smothering, and made a great Bellini! The food was good and plentiful and there was a reasonably priced wine list. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceAliGVIPDined on 7/5/2014Had a perfect date with my husband. Sat by the window on a beautiful summer night and enjoyed some yummy veal parm and linguine fra diavolo with shrimp and scallops. Service was excellent.
- Good food, dull atmosphereEastcoastvisitorDined on 7/5/2014There are so many great places to eat on the North end. Riccardos was good but not a standout compared to other places there. The atmosphere was really just ok pretty dull actually unless you have a window table. The food was good, prices moderate. Loved the egg plant parmesan, the Lasagna was very good as well. Would we return- probably not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveVIPDined on 7/1/2014Had 13 in our party. Handled very comfortably. Service was attentive. Food excellent. Would visit again gladlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!JCBostonDined on 6/27/2014I took a friend from out of town to Riccardo's and it was the perfect place to take someone who'd never been to the North End. Across the street from Paul Revere's house, we were able to hear each other throughout dinner and the service was excellent! Our server was very professional and knowledgeable. We both had the stuffed meatballs and for entrees the fradiavolo. Absolutely delicious and perfectly spicy. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Always greatLV410VIPDined on 6/27/2014The competition in the North End is fierce, but I'm from RI and I never hesitate to choose Riccardo's. Service is outstanding, food always great, & the location terrific If you goggle it & don't get the address just right, you'll end up at some cheap site. I wonder if that discourages some people. Go to the correct site; better yet, visit when you're in the NE-you won't be disappointed. We last visited on a Friday night (with reservations). I had Risotto frutti de mare. Both the risotto & the seafood were great. My date (not yet a seafood lover) had the chicken piccata. It's a favorite, so she knows good when she tastes it. She enjoyed it very much. We both left some on our plates as portions were more than enough. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Overall solid - Service was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/25/2014I brought a group of eight to lunch at Riccardo's during the week. It was quiet, but the kitchen put out good food that met our expectations and the waitress was fantastic. She really went above and beyond. When asked a question regarding the possibility of finding a nearby place to find a specific good, she gave an answer off the top of her head. She then came back after searching the internet on the computer and came back with other recommendations. She was extremely helpful and cared about her customers. And it is always nice when the owner stops by to check on the table. The food is good. The service can't be beat.Special Features:
- a great time!PinotBassBoneDined on 6/23/2014My friend and her mum were in from Long Island and so of course I wanted to take them to the North End. We had a wonderful time! A table right at the window and the breeze was just perfect! We could see Paul Revere's house from our table. The strolling musicians came in and played and it was great. As the wine poured we kept on chatting, and being from NY, my friend's voice can carry. We definitely had the best time out of anyone there. Not all the tables will filled, so I think on a non-Monday night, we wouldn't have been the only ones with loud voices. The food was very good, although we were surprised that the pollo did not come with pasta. Would definitely return!!Special Features:
- Solid dining experienceCelebratorDined on 6/15/2014Do not fear coming here for dinner/lunch; the food was great, and in the summer with the windows opened, the atmosphere is nice. Also: GREAT to be on Open Table, makes seating larger parties much, much easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Had friends from out of town visiting and wanted to give them a sense of the North End. It was very good food, reasonably priced with tremendous service. Had the plus of being essentially across from Paul Revere's house, a short walk to the Peace garden and Mikes.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014Great food and service and the owner and the staff were all very attentive and welcoming. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not A Huge Fan But OK!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014It was a bit of a let down. The waiter was robotic & not personable. After our dishes were cleared away, he came back asking if we wanted coffee instead of offering the dessert menu and it felt like we were being rushed out. As for the food, I've never seen Sea Bass swim in so much tomato sauce. That kind of fish is usually very flavorful by itself but drown it in tomato sauce and it's flavor is awash. My husband did like his eggplant dish. And the dessert? Not even a hint of presentation. My husband ordered a cannoli and that's exactly what showed up, a cannoli plopped in the middle of a plate. I ordered tiramisu and had the same unappealing look. They tasted good but half the fun of dining out is presentation and feeding your senses.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceCallieBananaDined on 6/1/2014The menu choices were great, and the restaurant was lovely. We sat by the windows that gave us an open-air feeling. Compared to Hanover street, the foot traffic is lighter and the street itself is quieter, but we could still people-watch if we wanted too. Service was excellent overall - our server (Ali?) was great, both with personality and efficiency. Cocktails were delicious. I had the veal bracciole, quite tender and the light sauce was delicious. Loved the homemade pasta sauce. My husband had the veal chop, a little tougher than he hoped but very tasty. The only disappointment was when we asked to wrap the veal chop bone for our dog. A female server seemed put out by our request and was unfriendly. We would consider going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very patient in dealing with groupsStacyDDined on 5/31/2014We dined at Riccardo's with a very large group and I have to say I was very impressed at how patient and accommodating they were when the majority of our group showed up 30 minutes late. They did not have to be so accommodating and they had every right to not hold our reservation but they did which we were so thankful for. One of the few places that still believes in costumer service.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We needed a restaurant that took reservations because we had older parents coming with us and a group of six. We lived in Italy so we are very picky as we tend to cook better than most restaurants. They has zucchini flowers done just the way they used to be in Florence. Overall we were all pleased with our entrées including the gnocchi with Veal. The noise level was a little high for us to be able to hear but overall experience was a very pleasant authentic one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Surprise!PartyPlannerDined on 5/30/2014I had to organize a dinner for 20 people for a college reunion. Most of the restaurants I contacted would not accommodate parties that large or they wouldn't seat us until after 9pm. I had no problem securing a reservation at Riccardo's earlier in the evening. The food was really good and the wait staff were very accommodating and helpful. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was extremely welcomingSatisfiedcustomerDined on 5/25/2014Went with a large group of people. Had our table ready well before our reservation. They were able to put us near the windows. Staff was overly welcoming from the minute we walked through the door. Every meal that was ordered by my party was delicious and most people finished a larger majority of their meals. This place was chosen on a whim because it was of the only ones who could fit our party but I would highly recommend it and will definitely be going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip Riccardo'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/25/2014Surly waitress. Undercooked scallops - had to be sent back twice. Finally gave up & got chicken. Owner did give party of 4 a free liqueur after dinner because of scallops, but should have been a free entree since problem resulted in that person getting meal way after other 3 at table. Typical North End tourist trap, counting on never seing same customer twice. What's the story with a bar that has wine, beer and flavored liqueurs only and no hard liquor? And how can you have bad Italian bread in the North End.
- The following 334 reviews are from the Riccardo's reviews archive.
- Great spot!!!RIPharmieDined on 5/24/2014I came here after making a reservation on Open Table. We arrived and the owner was at the front door to greet us. I said we had a reservation and he knew exactly who we were! There was a nice big table ready to go for is, and notably all the other tables were full! The meatball special appetizer was amazing- you could tell it was all homemade. I had the fusilli with shrimp and my friends all had to sample it because I kept saying how good it was! For a cream base sauce it was light and tasty! We had a wonderful time. My only complaint would be it was a little noisy, but then again, it was a full house!! They're definitely doing something right over there!! Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New North End FavoriteLocalFoodieDined on 5/24/2014Although other venues may boast a more haute cuisine menu, Riccardo's serves good food with very attentive service. Their wine list is extensive and well-priced. I can't wait to return when the weather will allow the large windows to be opened!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Riccardos North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014We love Riccardo's. The food is perfect. A great choice in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food and Wonderful OwnersWhats4dinnerDined on 5/18/2014We went to Riccardo's for my son's graduation. It is a cute little neighborhood restaurant but big enough to not feel cramped. Our table was ready for us when we got there and the server was very knowledgeable about the menu and the specials. The owners even came by and gave some recommendations. I had the Veal special which was very tender. The others in the party had a variety of pasta, chicken and seafood dishes which were all wonderful. I definitely recommend this restaurant as a must when you visit or if you live in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surprise.NEMX7Dined on 5/17/2014Friendly place with great food at a great value. Our favorite place in the North End was booked and unfortunately for them we now have a new favorite place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent option for North EndcvlianoDined on 5/17/2014Riccardos is great because they have all the staples that you need in an Italian restaurant - for a good price. They could improve their veal parmigiana recipe a little -- but the Fradiavolo, Gnocchi, Lasagna, Calamari and Bruschetta were all incredible. Great wine and great window front as they can open their restaurant front on a nice day. Really accommodating for large groups as well!Special Features: