1318 East Union Street
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantzoe.com/
- Phone: 2062562060x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Staples
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: http://feedcocatering.com/
Contact our catering manager Paula Snow directly at (206) 226-2010.
- Private Party Facilities: At Restaurant Zoe, we have several private dining options. Parties can be hosted in Restaurant Zoe, either in a 22 seat semi-private banquette area, a 36 seat heated year round patio. There is also the option to do a 40 seated/50 standing event in the 10 Degrees Dance Studio/Oola Distillery space that we are now located in.
- Private Party Contact: Paula Snow 2062262010x
A word from Restaurant Zoe
Restaurant Zoe is a favorite destination for locals and visitors alike. Located on the corner of 14th and Union St on Capitol Hill, Restaurant Zoe's lively urban setting provides the backdrop for Chef Scott Staple's seasonally crafted, produce-driven fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Restaurant Zoe - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Restaurant Zoe reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (36)great for outdoor dining (34)special occasion (26)romantic (24)notable wine list (14)good for groups (12)hot spot (6)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Tasting Menu!EaterVIPDined on 9/14/2014I like to take me gf out to fancy dinner once or twice a month. We chose Zoe since we've been before and I noticed the tasting menu and I love those. Our waitress was SO excited when we wanted to try it. And they brought so much food, all of which was delicious and beautiful and unique flavours. I'm definitely excited to come back against sometime and I hope their tasting menu is seasonal so I can try lots of different food there!Special Features:
- not as good as in pastyumdinner1Dined on 9/5/2014We have enjoyed a few delicious meals at Restaurant Zoe, but our recent dinner was really disappointing-soggy salad, overcooked gnocchi, bland salmon. Not sure if they were training a new chef, but none of the food was very well prepared this time.
- Loved their tasting / pairing menu!EsquivelDined on 9/4/2014We had a great time. Service was phenomenal, food and wine pairing was outstanding. We got heavy pours of their wines and the food was just a perfect compliment to each glass. The owner even came over to check on us and chat for a bit. I will absolutely return!Special Features:
- Simply deliciousFoodiesfromfarawayDined on 8/29/2014The special cold cauliflower soup was amazing. The calamari was great too. Dessert was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KobeDined on 8/17/2014Service was excellent. It was my second visit. Food was a bit more tasty on first visit. We had oysters, which we sent back, that were not cooked very well. Came with a thick cornmeal crust that was flavorless. The server graciously replaced them and took them off the bill. The salmon was cooked perfectly and tasty. My mom had the lamb and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discriminating19Dined on 8/15/2014Consistently very good, on all fronts. Great service , food and wine. Among my Seattle favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accomodatingdreoakDined on 8/9/2014I took my friend her for her birthday. We were running late for our reservation, so I called the restaurant and they were kind enough to hold our reservation. In the end we were only 15min. late. Food was great. Service was even better. It was a nice unrushed special meal. Thank you!Special Features:
- Top notch experienceKnockamoreDined on 8/7/2014My two sons and I celebrated my beautiful young wife's birthday at Restaurant Zoe. It has a very easy going, laid back atmosphere that felt like we were at home. The staff was very attentive (more on that later) and food was excellent. We started with oyster shooters from the happy hour menu, followed up with the spicy wild boar bolognese. Both were done perfectly. Our main courses were all very good, but the crabby patty - Montana waygu beef beer battered soft-shell crab burger was outrageously good. Near the end of our meal, we spilt a water glass. We were immediately surrounded by extra napkins & 4 waiters. After replacing a chair, we were impressed at their efficiency. Food and service get top rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!HappydinerVIPDined on 8/4/2014We visited Restaurant Zoe a couple of years ago with a friend and vaguely remembered it for having good food and great service. After our spectacular meal last night, I'm sad we didn't return earlier! Wow! This was a GREAT meal and we plan to make this a regular stop! It's a beautiful space, inside and on the lovely patio, the waitstaff and managers were amazing and our dinner was a show stopper. We started w a Rabbit Turrine special and a Wild Boar pappardelle, made w a Arugula. Our Entrees included Crispy King a Salmon over fresh veggies and corn, a creative and delicious Beef/Beet Wellington special and the Chef's Mac and Cheese Monday special with Duck Confit. Really?! Who does this? All delicious and we look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Loved it.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014Visiting from San Francisco where the restaurants are great. Both the pork chop and the salmon were excellent. The peach cobbler was to die for. Good WA state wine.Special Features:
- shareable plates good food and wineGROSSRDined on 7/18/2014Only my 2nd time to Zoe. Would definitely go back again. Nice outdoor patio (summer). Service was great. Nice shareable small plates which is how I prefer to eat. Nice wine list to pair and good overall mix of food. Staff is friendly and accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food, a little differenthankDined on 7/13/2014Just looking at the menu, we weren't sure if we would like it. The food combinations in the main plates were a little different than the usual fare. However everything we ordered was very well prepared and delicious. The staff were all friendly and helpful. They went out of their was to answer questions and make adjustments due to food allergies.Special Features:
- 2 words....Number41VIPDined on 7/11/2014Short Ribs. Well I tried to keep this to two words however the review needs to be at least 50 characters. So guess I should have said: Short Ribs, Short Ribs, Short Ribs, Short Ribs, Short Ribs :)Special Features:
- Awesome 5 course tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014My partner and I each ordered the weeknight 5 course tasting dinner. One course after another was amazing--gorgeous to behold, imaginative in flavors and textures, and absolutely delicious. The server's personal warmth and knowledge seasoned each presentation to perfection, and as we departed staff inquiries about our evening suggested how much caring goes on in Zoe's kitchen. A word of warning: the 5 course tasting adds up to a LOT of food, so lighten up on lunch the day you try it. I am reluctantly dinging the ambiance one star because of the beverage cartons randomly stashed under the banquettes...maybe with so much going on in the kitchen they ran out of storage room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Square peg in a round holeWardDined on 7/5/2014Not sure how a square place like Zoe winds up in such a hip neighborhood. Overall, the food and service seemed comparable to a diner, if you overlook the pretentious pricing--not justified by preparation, presentation, or portion size (if you are one of those quantity equals quality types). The one bright spot was the cocktails. After that: the gnudi were overly starchy and greasy; cauliflower looked reheated; and the salmon was quite ordinary (especially since they forgot the salsa verde topping), and was served over a mish mash of things but called a ragout. The friendly-enough server had not much of a clue and unprompted pretty much recommended everything. The few other diners were either tourists or grandmas and families from Everett.
- Just fineSuper1DanDined on 7/3/2014Not as good at it once was. Food is ok. Service and atmosphere is excellent. Sad to see it so empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatemeDined on 6/27/2014If you offer a limited menu, at least order enough food so that guests can choose from what is offered. And if you are out of items, inform guests upon arrival. After pursuing the menu, we were told a desired choice was unavailable . We then made another choice only to be told that it was also unavailable. Why the waiter did not inform us when we were given our menu is a mystery to me. A true dissapointment to spend top dollar for your 3rd choice!! The waiter displayed an exasperated and frustrated demeanor as if he well knew the house did not have its act together. I am willing to pay the price point that Zoe expects but in return I expect to be truly accommodated. With so many really special choices available in Seattle, I won't be back.
- Wonderful food & serviceFoodiesfromfarawayDined on 6/27/2014Everything was great, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the cocktails.Special Features:
- Consistent but surprisingKLYfoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014Always good. Always deep and complex food that delivers an unusual melange of flavors. The staff are warm and welcoming. I always enjoy the dinning experience at R-Z.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food but small portionsL123Dined on 6/14/2014Artistically small portions. Food was delicious. Service a bit slow but we were in no hurry. Parking is a pain but there's a lot nearby for $12.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More for next time206BobDined on 6/13/2014Each of the four of us had a different entree and each loved theirs but will order others for next time...or next times as there were still more great options we didn't trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamenessLadyDined on 6/12/2014The food was good BUT - I felt that the portions were too small for the cost of the dinner. I also felt that there was a sameness to the food - the same as similar restaurants. And I think that the presentation could be a little less arty and put a little more food on the plate. I ordered tea with milk and honey - the waiter forgot the milk and honey. I will not go there again.
- 2nd time, both greatGrandmasAndGrandesToquesVIPDined on 6/9/2014Underrated. First visit in November, still can't forget the perfect black cod. Best ever. Second visit in June, absolutely terrific, especially the small plates. They clearly care about the food they produce, source top quality ingredients, and execute very well. Service was excellent both times, but on second visit the server was as unobtrusively aware and on top of things as I've ever experienced. Will be back any time I'm in Seattle.Special Features:
- Exceptional food and serviceRestaurantGuruDined on 6/1/2014I came here on a date and we did the 5 course tasting menu. The service was superb, the best I have experienced. The waiters were always checking in would explain each meal when presenting it. We had soup shooters, salad, halibut, homemade pasta, short rib, and two types of dessert. We will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, wonderful servicejessgnawyourbikeinhalfVIPDined on 5/29/2014Recommend: tasting menu. SO GOOD. I felt really special because we had especially great service during our dinner. The staff was so sweet and provided us with one of the best service I've ever had in a restaurant. I will come back for sure!Special Features:
- Excellent Second MealFrecklesDined on 5/27/2014This was our second time at Zoe and we loved it! The food was delicious and unique in just the right way. We had our two school age children with us because it was a birthday celebration and the waiter was very accommodating, splitting a burger for them. They also served up a cake that my husband had brought with him (as a surprise!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealSeachesterDined on 5/24/2014We arrived early and were pleased to be seated quickly. We started with some very nice cocktails and had a great server. First course arrived quickly. Main courses were great, I had the burger others had fish. Desserts were nice, just the right size and delicious.Special Features:
- Lovely Local GemBryanDined on 5/24/2014Quite nice local restaurant which hosted several groups and families the night we dined there. It's probably more expensive than most people would want to spend on children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1323 reviews are from the Restaurant Zoe reviews archive.
- Love the new location!SukichuDined on 5/16/2014Jonathon our server is a gem! He was knowledgeable, friendly and took excellent care of my guest & me. The new location is perfect. Looking forward to experiencing "Quinn" the next my friend visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seattle needs burger regulation...galbyDined on 5/6/2014I really like Zoe, I visit every six weeks or so. The experience is always a good one, whether I'm inside, at the bar or on the enclosed patio. The food: consistently good. When I go out, I want something better than what I can do at home in addition to the experience. Zoe does that. However...on this occasion I just wanted a burger. I loathe paying $15 for a burger, so the $18 tag here made me check my napkin to make sure it wasn't actually a stock certificate. It's too much, people. Add to that, my dinner date and I both ordered the same thing, prepared the same way and my medium rare burger swamped my plate with drippings while his remained bone dry and it taints to price worthiness of the food. For an $18 burger, you gotta nail it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMickMattDined on 4/30/2014Very nice atmosphere, excellent cocktails and a nice wine selection, and the food is full of flavor and well prepared.Special Features:
- Very good - could have been betterJohnDined on 4/26/2014Overall, we had a very nice meal. Service was slow - long wait between courses. The waiter was awkward and didn't stop by to ask about our food (which was excellent). The bus service was very good however and we always had full water glasses. A bit too noisy too in the atrium.Special Features:
- Wonder Variety At Zoe'sProfessorDined on 4/24/2014I met my two sons at Restaurant Zoe. The menu as usual was filled with choices we wanted. Two of us went with three smaller plate items including the boar pasta with sauce and the roasted cauliflower, sultanas, and pine nuts. Everything was excellent. They wine list was extraordinary and obviously put together with care. It could use a few more modestly priced bottles. We will be back at Zoe's many times.Special Features:
- Lovely DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Fantastic service and food, we had a wonderful time!!!Special Features:
- WONDERFULDshawVIPDined on 4/19/2014It was my wife's birthday, which we kept quite, but what a wonderful evening. every dish was fantastic and we will be back again and again!!Special Features:
- Fabulous once you get thereNYEverydayDinerDined on 4/17/2014We were there for an earlier dinner. Traffic was heavy but parking was a nightmare. My date dropped me off after we had been "circling" the streets. Took him another 15min to find a spot. Food, presentation, and waitstaff were impeccable. For us it was a special occasion although for others just a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails, amazing service!AmandaDined on 4/16/2014Our server was a sweetheart and the set up in there is really great both for smaller, intimate things and larger groups. Our food was great, the service was quick and thorough. There's a cocktail on the menu called the "spring flowers" something or other, I ordered it and it probably came out less than 2 minutes later, and I could probably drink 18 of them without getting bored. So good. Also, the chicken they serve with the lentils made me like lentils when I used to kinda hate them, so there's that.Special Features:
- Spot On Meal at Restaurant ZoeAlisonDined on 4/14/2014My husband and I were just at Zoe during Restaurant Week. We had an excellent time and have zero complaints! Our server was delightful and prompt - she knew just when to check on us versus leave us alone. The timing of the courses was spot on, as well. We didn't feel rushed to complete our meal before the next course arrived. We had been to Zoe a few times before but this was our best experience. Since it was just the two of us it was nice that it was a bit of a romantic setting, but this would be a great location for a small group of friends or family, as well. Of course the food was excellent. We enjoyed the ricotta gnudi, pork tenderloin, chilled asparagus soup and half chicken, as well as the chocolate tart for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalTeeraceDined on 4/13/2014I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. The food was amazing, the service was impeccable, and the overall feeling of the restaurant was light and airy! One really impressive attribute was the server was intimately familiar with the ingredients of the dishes. We asked about a particular spice that we couldn't identify, and he had enough knowledge to help us isolate it. It was very impressive and complemented the exceptional quality of the food. I live in the neighborhood, so I am confident I will be back often. I have also passed along my experience to all of my coworkers and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but not pretentiousCindyVIPDined on 4/12/2014This restaurant walks a very nice line between special and casual, groovy and approachable. There are so many good places to eat in Seattle now; it's nice to find that a place with energy and atmosphere can serve delicious food without fuss. The special, the night we went, was one of the most memorable dishes I will ever eat--a hank of veal on the bone, melt-in-the-mouth tender, with a waft of truffle oil, bedded on celeric puree. Truly, it was one of a kind. Our server was outstanding, and all of the table help was attentive. Don't you love a place where your plates aren't swooped away too soon AND your water glass is kept full?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.