Rendez Vous Cafe Bistro
1111 Solano Avenue
Albany, CA 94706Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Rendez Vous Cafe Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rendezvouscafebistro.com/
- Phone: 5105274111
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday & Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Rendez-Vous offers you great bistro dishes from all regions of France,
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Rendez Vous Cafe Bistro
Rendez-Vous offers you great bistro dishes from all regions of France, prepared with simplicity and passion. Rendez-Vous is a great place for special occasions and any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rendez Vous Cafe Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)great for lunch (18)fit for foodies (12)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (8)good for groups (6)romantic (5)late-night find (5)special occasion (4)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always good!SonofSid7of9Dined on 10/24/2014We come here quite often and it has never disappointed us. The menu stays relatively the same but that's okay because the do a very good job with all of their favorites. If I had a french grandma this is what she would be serving me with the same homegrown care!Special Features:
- Local SpotDaddyDogDined on 10/14/2014I always recognize at least two or three Berkeley couples and we visit each other's tables and catch up. Kids love the wait staff and Laurent, the owner, always comes by to see if you're happy. Oh yeah, and it's good country style French food. Try the mussels appetizer with a glass of wine.Special Features:
- Great food and value.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2014Love Rendez Vous Café. Have only had brunch on several occasions, but will have dinner here soon, the specials sound great. We've always had terrific service and the food is exceptional for a little neighborhood spot. Also, the quality and portion sizes received for the price is an excellent value. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Good service, great food, and menu offers a variety of food. Love this place.Special Features:
- PamCDined on 8/20/2014an extremely reliable low key restaurant for meeting friends and lingering to chat. Food is always excellent. Staff is attentive but unobtrusive. Steamed mussels in wine and garlic sauce are a favorite.Special Features:
- Paris on SolanoBettyNDined on 8/10/2014A gem of a true French cafe. All the flavors are so good and the unpretentious atmosphere belies the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cute neighborhood placeWinnerDined on 7/28/2014Nice little lunch place. Easy parking, easy accessSpecial Features:
- local gemvaludinerDined on 7/25/2014we walk down to our favorite local bistro often. the food is spectacular. i usually eat steak frites or one of the french specialities. the mussels are awesome, and the salads are delightful. i love trying the new items and this time the sole meuniere exceeded our expectations. tuesday nights are extra special, thanks to george cole.Special Features:
- Nice choice!RichardDined on 7/25/2014I arrived right when they were opening, so it was a little hectic; nevertheless, I was seated and served quickly and efficiently. The food was excellent, the price was reasonable. I was sitting "outside," so didn't really get a sense of the ambiance; I probably wouldn't do that again--too much traffic, motor and pedestrian. But I was just working while I ate, so it was OK. I'm from out of town, but I'd definitely eat here again if I were in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and affordable foodValueDinerDined on 7/18/2014In a city whose non-Asian restaurant prices typically exceed the quality of the food or ambiance this is a jewel. Wide range of dishes, fish, fowl, lamb, beef, vegetarian with daily specials $15-20 and entrée-appetizer combinations at $26. House wine $7 glass and full carafe $25 is quite good. Service is prompt and attentive. Reservations a must on weekends but less so on week days. The only comparable place we enjoy is Liaison on Shattuck near Hearst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parisian Bistro2dinersDined on 7/15/2014Enjoy going to this cafe/ bistro at least three times a month. Enjoy the music on Tuesday night for dinner. This is what we picture a Parisian Bistro should be if we were in Paris, France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsLyndaBillDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed the evening, All four ordered something differt and liked our main courses.Special Features:
- First and last visit...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2014Service was terrific, contrary to reviews from others. Food however was subpar. Everything cooked too much. Fortunately, price wasn't bad, location to Albany Twin was perfect, and service was fast and efficient There are too many better eateries close by.
- rate4dineDined on 7/9/2014Food was average but service was good. We went for dinner, maybe this is better for lunch.Special Features:
- The following 237 reviews are from the Rendez Vous Cafe Bistro reviews archive.
- Favorite neighborhood placeTalesToTellVIPDined on 6/27/2014Love the steak and other dishes are good too! Nice reasonably priced wines. Owner greets everyone warmly. It is our go-to place in our neighborhood for a good tasting and reasonably priced dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placegoodfoodgalDined on 6/27/2014We eat here before or after a movie at the Albany or just for a casual lunch or dinner and it's always good. This time it was a lunch meeting for 6. Had the steak sandwich--delicious! Everyone enjoyed their meal and the prices are very affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm, Fun diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014We have eaten here many times in the last couple of years, and we enjoy it--sometimes before a movie (next door), sometimes not. We have brought guests here, including our son and 2-year old. Looking over the reviews online for RVCB, I am surprised by the rating and comment extremes. We find it consistently good: moderately priced, good food; nice wines, family-style service (the same two servers are there regularly. One is not trying to charm the customers. The hands-on owner is charming): informal, atmosphere. It is casual French and the atmosphere is unusually comfortable. Sometimes music.Special Features:
- mediatorgalDined on 6/17/2014food was okay, but the three piece musical group undoubtedly believed they were playing well. Mostly they were unbearably noisy and this coupled with the already intense noise level in the restaurant made our meal very unpleasant. We were happy when "the band" took a break, but for fear of their return, we decided to leave and have dessert at home. I will go back if its a music free evening.
- JBRohnertParkDined on 6/15/2014We were at the restaurant at noon on a Sunday. Busy. Too noisy. Later, around 12:30, after people left, we were able to hear each other talk. The food choices were great: five of us each found something we loved, and we all have different favorites. I would recommend that the lamb stew come with bread for dipping the sauce. The restaurant was easy to find. The booking online was very convenient. Wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Always a great meal!JohnDined on 5/31/2014If I lived close by I would eat here at least once a week!Special Features:
- great decor and service, food goodmarkVIPDined on 5/18/2014the food is flavorful and not too salty. The serving sizes could be a little larger. The real gem is the décor of the restaurant and charm of the owner and staff.
- Great for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/18/2014Rendez Vous is a great choice for last-minute brunch plans. Our party had a mix of breast and lunch items, and they arrived together and all at just-cooked temperature. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014I've been coming here for a long time, but the two times I've come for brunch have been miserable failures. The first time they served me raw eggs, and when I sent them back, they came back overcooked. Last weekend on Mother's Day for brunch, the service was abysmal. No bread to start, forgot part of our order, over a half hour to get simple food. Asked for crispy bacon, came undercooked, probably because they forgot that part of the order, and then rushed to get it out. Salade nicoise had many problems: old tough lettuce, raw beans, overcooked hard boiled egg, tough tuna (how is that possible?). They must have a different cook on Sunday, so I won't be back for brunch. I'll give it another try for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Good tryRedmanDined on 5/2/2014Seating was prompt, despite it being Friday night. Order was mixed up but owner promptly redid the fresh veggies as we had requested. Staff seemed a bit rushed. Filet meuniere was excellent. I suggested offering more organic.Special Features:
- Great spot when going to the moviesLolaDined on 5/2/2014We always enjoy dinner at Cafe Rendevouz when we're going to the movies next door at the Albany Theater. It's very convenient and the food is quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nofoodieDined on 4/26/2014We prefer less sauces (i.e., on the chicken and potatoes) the grilled sole was mushy, the green beans limp and tasteless. But to be fair, our tastes run to the simpler, fresher, less complex meals. Service had several mishaps: 3X forgotten items (coffee, dessert, and a salad) each for which we had to remind the waitperson, and one of the entrees came significantly after all others. For an expensive meal, we expected more.Special Features:
- family brunchkomodoDined on 4/26/2014Rendez Vous Cafe Bistro worked out really well for our family brunch. Our group included kids; since the ambience is on the casual side, both parents and kids were relaxed and happy to be there, no worries. Everyone, including the pickier eaters, was able to find something on the menu that he or she loved to eat. The french toast looked gorgeous, I wish I had ordered it (my warm goat cheese salad was also delicious!) The wait staff was friendly, efficient and attentive. All of our food came out at once.Special Features:
- Romantic French gem in Albany, CAMassPlantDined on 4/24/2014The Renzey-Vous offers an inviting, romantic, low-key evironment with a wonderful, unpretentious and affordable menu. The service is always thoughful and there is live music on Tuesdays - a talented vocal, guitar and bass trio that fits the theme of the bistro perfectly. This is a gem of a spot on Solano Ave in Albany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch before movieduhgdinerDined on 4/24/2014Great spot for quick lunch before movie at next-door Albany Theatre. The $12 lunch menu includes iced-tea, soup and one of many entree choices. Excellent sandwich options in pleasant setting with fun decor and open space but not too noisy. Also has a nice little patio outside on the sidewalk with bistro atmosphere.Special Features:
- They are trying hard...GloryDined on 4/23/2014First time here. Nice waiters, quiet enough for a conversation on a Wednesday nite. The nite's special, seafood paella, was a long time coming, but at least you know then it is made from scratch. There were mounds of well-prepared (i.e. not overcooked) seafood - but the rice was a disaster, soupy, with no relationship to the sofrito prepared, slightly toasty (because you put it in the oven at the last minute) Spanish dish. The prices better than many restaurants. I would go without high expectations for the food, this after only one try. My bias: I like to cook so am often disappointed in restaurant quality and walk out thinking about what I could have made for a third the price.
- A Low-Key DelightzebraheadDined on 4/21/2014This little low-key restaurant unfailingly turns out the BESt food in town--flavorful, abundant, perfectly prepared. I drove over almost every month from Marin; it's always worth it.Special Features:
- Great for before theater!ElleDined on 4/18/2014Another pre-theater, or in this case, pre-movie fave. It is literally right next door to the Albany Twin theater, so very convenient for a quick, but nice, dinner before the cinema! Live music some nights can be very loud and distracting if you want dinner conversation, so call first if that's an issue for you. (That said, the music is very good!)Special Features:
- A Warm, Friendly BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2014We really like this cozy, casual spot--especially the vibes--always comfortable. The charming, hard-working owner is always happy to greet guests. Popular with locals. Good food. We especially like the mussels and salads. Next to the movie theater is a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am a long-time visitor toOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 3/30/2014I am a long-time visitor to this restaurant, and always enjoy my meals there. This was no exception.Special Features:
- Excellent Risotto!madamhipsterVIPDined on 3/22/2014Not typically one of my favorite dishes, Rendez vous' Shrimp Risotto was wonderful. Full bodied w/out being "goopey," savory and rich. With arugula and mushrooms and a balsamic reduction, it was perfect. Our waiter was attentive without being overbearing. We'll definitely go back to try some their other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunchJohnVIPDined on 3/5/2014This place is nothing special, but it is a pleasant unpretentious place for a slightly French breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Overwhelming great valueGratefulDinerVIPDined on 3/1/2014Rendez-Vous Cafe Bistro gets highest marks because of how inexpensively the establishment delivers excellent French comfort dishes. The food is unpretentious and generous in portion and in good flavor. The service is friendly and efficient, The reception is warm and genuine. We'll go back again and again and again!Special Features:
- We have been going for yearshiedVIPDined on 2/20/2014We have been going for years and always love our food and service. Great French food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnertpmorrDined on 2/14/2014Looking for a French restaurant to celebrate my son's birthday. Found this French restaurant in the East Bay, since everything in SF was booked. More convenient for us, at least. Parking was a bit of a pain - took a few spins around the block to find a spot. Food, overall, was very good. What was disappointing was the service. Not sure if the breakdown was with the food server or the kitchen. First, my son's appetizer was served a good 10 minutes after our salads. Then, my other son's main dish was wrong and we had to send it back. That took another 10 minutes to get out. Not consistent at all. We didn't even bother to have dessert - went up Solano Ave for ice cream instead.Special Features:
- Excellent food, slow serviceChannyDined on 2/14/2014Food is delicious. Everything I've tried is high value for price. Nicoise salad is best I've had. However, the service is ALWAYS too slow. Seems like it is chronically understaffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.