Red O - Newport Beach
143 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Red O - Newport Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://redorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9497180300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday: 11:00am -5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Keith Stich
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment 7 Nights Week.
A word from Red O - Newport Beach
Dining at Red O is an experience like no otherContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Red O - Newport Beach - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Red O - Newport Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
459 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (232)fit for foodies (218)vibrant bar scene (218)hot spot (199)good for groups (169)romantic (130)great for lunch (115)great for outdoor dining (106)great for brunch (75)neighborhood gem (63)notable wine list (48)late-night find (35)kid-friendly (26)scenic view (7)Show More
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The staff at RED O really did a great job when we went for our anniversary date.Special Features:
- A pleasureSheeeeVIPDined on 9/13/2014Red O was amazing! Great food, great service, great night!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected More!RichardDined on 9/13/2014We've been to the bar numerous times - Saturday was our first time to try a formal dinner in the dining room. Unfortunately no one enjoyed the Appetizers, we had the yellowtail ceviche and it looked like bad sashimi in a soup broth, we also ordered the guacamole sampler and it was average. On the bright side, our entree's were all very good and everyone was pleased, but the desserts were a complete let down. Prices are high, even by Newport standards and be prepared for the upsell. Would you like a skinny margarita with our special organic tequila at $18 a pop. Clase Azul Rep tequila is priced at $25, yikes Bar scene is vibrant and the band was terrific. Not sure if we'll be returning for dinner, but definitely love the vibe and bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014food was excellent as was the service. The drinks are a bit pricey, but overall experience was great.Special Features:
- FantasticDanksjoldDined on 9/12/2014The service stood out even above the food. We had to wait a little longer than expected, though we had a reservation. Red O had complimentary glasses of champagne waiting and gave us one appetizer on the house. Their menu is simply outstanding; I won't waste words here, you need to experience it yourself. However, I loved the cocktails even more. The resident mixologist makes a mean sazerac.Special Features:
- Don't dine there on a weekendMysterEDined on 9/12/2014Despite reservation we waited 45 minutes to be seated. Nice that they offer complimentary champagne & water while waiting and then comped us an appetizer for keeping us so long--standing in the foyer. We also waited about 15 minutes for our server to give us his full attention, but once he did he was totally there for us. However on this particular Friday night at 8, the place was packed to the rafters and the noise level was deafening. Food and drink were excellent, though overpriced. We will try it again for lunch or on a weeknight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has it allPrbayVIPDined on 9/9/2014We found this while on vacation and had to return for a second visit before we left Newport. Chef Rick Bayles has created a restaurant with great service, fantastic food, in a beautiful venue. Our servers were obviously trained to know the menu and guide to a culinary experience. Use them to decide what you will order. But the Mole is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Dining ExperienceOCEatingDined on 9/9/2014I went for dinner on a Tuesday evening with a friend (table for 2). The whole dinner took about 2.5 hours as the service is very slow. We sat at our table in the dining room for 10 minutes before anyone even acknowledged us or brought menus. And we were seated for almost 30 minutes before we received our drinks. We asked for recommendations on the menu and our waiter pushed the most expensive items on the menu - not a huge surprise. But when I asked about the enchiladas he told me they are going to take them off the menu and then pushed the steak and lobster instead which is annoying if you are not looking to spend $47 on a steak. The food and drinks were very good overall - they just need to improve the service.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointingLieselVIPDined on 9/7/2014We had high expectations for this Rick Bayless restaurant, but unfortunately it fell short in some areas. The service we good, very attentive with the water and our son even got a special amuse bouche (and after eyeing mine, they gave him the same us the adults). But we had to refill our own wine glasses. The Goat Cheese Tamale was good but the mushroom/spinach taco appetizer wasn't terribly interesting. The Shrimp & Crab enchiladas were quite good as was the scallops, but the Chicken Polano Mole (highly anticipated) wasn't as exciting and the Garlic Shrimp was bland, other than the copious amounts of garlic. We really wanted to put on new favorite on our list, but this didn't quite measure up. Overall it wasn't bad, just not great.
- Some local celebritiesTsunamijimDined on 9/6/2014One of the housewives was at the Red O. Nice to see people looking, but not really approaching the table. That's why Newport Beach is a good stop for celebrities.Special Features:
- Had a great time!beeNkittyDined on 9/6/2014To start off, my fiancee and I were running late to our original reservation time and had called ahead to let the staff know we were running late. The staff was more than gracious to us and was very accommodating when we arrived a half hour late. Once we were seated the wait staff was attentive but NOT overly so as tends to be the issue at some places. Really it was just the right amount of time and attention to make sure we were taken care of, but not so much so we couldn't actually enjoy the food. -Which really... was definitely spot on and delicious. The quesadillas with the salsa were yum and we are certainly coming back - albeit on time. :)Special Features:
- Even Better Than Last TimeHmmmDined on 9/5/2014We were introduced to Red O by another couple. This time it was our turn to invite friends. Once again we sat in the Atrium, which is quieter than the interior. It is hard to believe given our first experience, which was wonderful, but the service was even better and the food was over the top good. It may sound boring, but don't overlook the New York Steak. All the great steak houses in Orange County and we'd go back to Red O if we were craving beef.Special Features:
- Excellent service, great food18yrAnniversaryDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I have visited this restaurant several times this year. Each time we sat at a table on the patio, where it is a little more quiet. The food and service never leaves us disappointed. I have ordered a different entrée each time because the menu is so diverse. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic and vibrant restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Great dining experience as always. Food was simply titilizing and magnificent and the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Excellent venue for special occassions.Special Features:
- red o the o is for outstandingl47777Dined on 9/3/2014A getaway into paradise, you can escape your daily grind and start your staycation as this place sends you to the finest resort dining in Mexico. The service and wine list tops all 5 star establishments, I dare you to find a better wine pairing with food anywhere! Now to the food start with agua chile a light dish that opens up the palate l had the mar de fres alberino very refreshing. Next goat cheese tamale you can tell everything is made from scratch and the I went big with a filet surf and turf with a lobster tail paired with coto de imaz rioja. I have to say come here for the steak and seafood as no one compares because of the quality and the sauces that accompanied them are truly unique. Live entertainment wow do I have to wake up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yesss!!happydinerVIPDined on 9/2/2014We had a fabulous time. The food was amazing and interesting. Thank you for re-seating us away from the waiter's station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014I made the reservation last minute and we were seated near the serving station, which was kind of a bummer but not a deal breaker. The service was good, the drinks were great and the food even better. The portions are generous and the flavors pop. The restaurant is large and the decor is heavy colors but clean looking. This was our second time here and we would definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014I went to Red O a few months ago for lunch and had a wonderful meal. I was looking forward to going again and taking my husband, who had never been. We went for dinner and had a terrible meal. There was no flavor in either the appetizer or main entrees. The worst part was the service. Our waiter barely came to our table and the food took a very long time to get. In addition, there was so much shuffling of busboys, managers, waiters that it was very distracting. We waited so long to get our bill we finally had to ask the manager for it. I would recommend for lunch but not dinner.Special Features:
- serious bummerpeppermintpattyDined on 8/31/2014Unfortunately, and in spite of the number of employees running around the restaurant, our meal was a disaster. we had to wait an extended period of time for everything we ordered, and never did receive everything we ordered. the food was decent but the service was the worst possible. it was embarrassing for the guest we shared the meal with. Sorry, Red O, we want to love you, but you make it too difficult...you're off our list.
- Birthday DinnershellyDined on 8/30/2014Was a fabulous night, food great, atmosphere wonderful.Special Features:
- Newport Beach Hot SpotLexiDined on 8/30/2014The inside dinning noise level is very very loud. Next time patio seating. The Cesar salad very bland Halibut and Short rib enchilada very good. Also the wait time between salad and entree was very long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A feast for body & soulLiveLusciousDined on 8/30/2014This is a gorgeous restaurant that looks like it will cost you a weeks paycheck but in reality is no more expensive (and probably much less) than your average Newport eatery. The bar is striking and looked like it would be great to eat at. There is also a large, lovely patio. We were getting whiplash from looking around the vast rooms at the beautiful decor which has a Spanish/Moroccan influence that reminded me of the Alhambra on the coast of Spain. The food was generous and so delicious that all of us were actually moaning with pleasure. It is the combination of ambiance and culinary perfection that will make this one of my favorites and I will go back again and again and recommend to all I know.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT!OCDINERVIPDined on 8/28/2014This was our first visit to Red O and we will definitely be back many more times! Great food and service! The carnitas are the best!Special Features:
- 80th Birthday and 60th AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014We celebrated my parents 60th Anniversary and my mom's 80th Birthday for lunch at Red O. They had a beautiful table for 11 set and waiting for us at 11am when they opened. They allowed us to put some decorations out, bring a cake and preorder appetizers which came right as we sat down (perfect). The food was over the top fabulous. The service was great, but we did have to wait a bit between courses and look around for someone to help a couple of times. I would still say the overall experience was TERRIFIC! My parents thoroughly enjoyed the "party". I would recommend Red O and we would go back just for the Mole Chicken again!Special Features:
- Overall good experience for lunch.ChipsDined on 8/26/2014Loved the chips and salsas. My Caesar salad was OK, but the chips served "in" the salad were stale. Service was good and the decor was upscale for a Mexican food. Prices were appropriate for Fashion Island, Newport Beach. I would come back for dinner and try some cocktails.Special Features:
- Food is good!camuffinDined on 8/25/2014The food we ordered was very good but the price was a little much. The wait staff was friendly, informative and attentive. We enjoyed our meal and the atmosphere. The only negative is that the place started to get loud by 6:30 on a Monday night so I imagine that (and have heard) the weekends are impossible to have a dinner conversation. I would go back again but only at off times because when I eat with my husband or friends I do like to have a pleasant conversation without shouting across the table.Special Features:
- Red OOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014This is a terrific Rick Bayless restaurant. Great scene and great food.Special Features:
- Long wait for an ok enchiladamakkapDined on 8/24/2014Decided to take out of town guests as we had enjoyed the lunch (food and service) there previously. This time we had a very long wait for our food and it was very difficult to converse with the guests as the band was very loud in the bar next door. The food was good but not sure my crab and shrimp enchilada was worth the wait. I did hear positive remarks from the others at the table for their food ( Salmon, lobster, ahi tuna and the pork) We shared a kale salad which was horrible - could not finish it. The kale had been boiled, resulting in mouthfuls of tough soggy chewiness. I would probably not go back for dinner here mainly due to the noise level from the band in the barSpecial Features:
- Very very expensiveAddictedDined on 8/24/2014The food was great and is probably more affordable at lunchtime. We had halibut, carnitas, carne Asada & lamb chops with mole. The lamb was the best dish (mole unbelievable) & carnitas the most bland dish. Great service, very patient since we had a 5 yr old with us. Great ambience. Oh & did I mention topelo margarita? Very fresh, very delicious. I took 1 star for price though.Special Features:
- Great brunchMole2012Dined on 8/24/2014The food was not what I had expected. I order the mole poblano and it was not what I had envision. Not a big fan of the chicken flavor, it was to blend. It was not the flavor that I thought, not your typical mole. The services was lacking, it took us about 40 minutes for our servicer to bring the bill and to charge the bill. They were rushing us to finish you foodSpecial Features:
- change up from basic Mexican rest.Marcie92880Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great time the food was delicious. And our server was great and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEatoutVIPDined on 8/23/2014I had the soup which was more like a French onion than a tortilla soup. I could barely eat it there were so many onions. I also a kale salad with shrimp. There were only 2 shrimp on the entire salad and the kale was cooked even though it was not described this way on the menu. The service was good however I don't think I will be returning.
- Much room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014If you are looking for a drink at a "see and be seen bar", this might be the place. The down side is the service and food. Our appetizers were decent. The oysters and ceviche app were small and overpriced. Main course shrimp and crab enchiladas were served cold. Service was almost non existent. Had to ask other waiters to find our server on three occasions. Manager tried to improve the situation, but the evening was ruined.Special Features:
- Great FoodmcamgarDined on 8/22/2014Always wanted to try one of Chef Rick Bayless's restaurants. The food was delicious! We will be returning again soon.Special Features:
- Good foodRoseyDined on 8/22/2014We sat in the outside room which is quieter and lighter.Special Features:
- chibimoon1Dined on 8/22/2014Food was a quite different then most Mexican restaurants, delicious menu and delicious drinks . Service is outstanding. Only negative comment kids were chasing each other up and down in the dining room at dinner hour and I complained to the waitress. This is not a place for four year old kids to be playing hide and seek.Special Features:
- O noCdMcyclistDined on 8/21/2014A birthday dinner was mostly disappointing - the cocktails were off, the pork entre was half fat, a very poor cut - let's face it, no one's going for the food. See and be seen. Boy meets girl.Special Features:
- First experiencelittleoinker83Dined on 8/21/2014Tried Red O for the 1st time to celebrate my boyfriend's bday. The staff mbers were excellent. They were nice, attentive, and polite. We started with the guacamole sampler. Delicious! A great way to try a variety of guacamoles. Instead of tortilla chips, it came with plantain chips that were a nice compliment. Ordered the suckling pig, crab & shrimp enchilada, and a side of the corn. The suckling pig was tender & moist with tons of flavor. The side dish of the roasted corn was my favorite. Roasted perfectly and you can still taste the sweetness of the corn. Tons of flavor from the spices. The crab and shrimp enchiladas....The flavor was great! However, I found a lot of tiny bits of shells as I was eating. Maybe the kitchen was rushed?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant!bizontheroadDined on 8/21/2014Beautiful restaurant! Food was good, a little pricey. Bar scene looked fun.Special Features:
- Energetic ambiance, great locationCTX99Dined on 8/21/2014Thursday night dinner to celebrate a birthday - place was very vibrant, energetic with nice decor and very hip crowd. Definitely high end for a Mexican restaurant. Food was decent (not great and on the expensive side) I've had much better Mexican food and paid much less but you are paying for the location, atmosphere and service. Overall I gave a 4/5 stars. Good place to entertain / impress out of town business guest who hasn't had a lot of Mexican food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.