Red Fish Restaurant
8 Archer Rd.
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Red Fish Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.redfishofhiltonhead.com/
- Phone: 8436863388
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm
Early dining menu: Nightly 5:00pm - 5:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sean Walsh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can cater to any size party, on or off-site. We offer a private room for hire as well as special menus according to your preference.
- Private Party Contact: Betsy Trish 8436863388
- Special Events: Red Fish has wine tastings from the fall through the spring. Joining our wine club is free and an excellent way to stay abreast of what's going on around Red Fish wine-wise. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join!
A word from Red Fish Restaurant
Red Fish specializes in excellent seafood and steaks with an upbeat Caribbean/Asian flair. A recipient of Wine Spectator Magazine's Best of Award of Excellence since 2001, Red Fish offers over 1300 wines from around the world for you to choose in our retail shop to enjoy with your meal (with a small corkage fee) or to take home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Red Fish Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Hilton Head ›
Red Fish Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (151)fit for foodies (116)special occasion (111)romantic (73)great for outdoor dining (68)good for groups (65)neighborhood gem (60)kid-friendly (32)hot spot (19)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- Endo76DinesDined on 9/28/2014While the ambience was pleasant, the food was lackluster...tasteless and bland. My wife had the "special" flounder which was more generic than special. I had mahi mahi with a peculiar blueberry BBQ application, rice and spinach. We passed on dessert but waited a significant time for the bill. We had been to Red Fish on several previous occasions with mixed experiences...I wanted to try it one more time but....! We'll not return! Actually, the only saving grace was the Cuban black bean soup...nicely done and consistently good but not enough to salvage an otherwise lackluster mealSpecial Features:
- Greatly improvedjhorgan13Dined on 9/27/2014New chef rocks! Best food we have had at the restaurant in years. If you haven't been there recently it is worth the trip back.Special Features:
- It's always good...AJCARDined on 9/26/2014We visit HHI twice a year. Always try to make Red Fish a frequent spot. Get the filet, lobster mac, southwest wedge each time. Consistently great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entire experience was greatgolfchickDined on 9/26/2014We sat outside and had a great time. The food was delicious - highly recommend the shrimp and grits. We had the pimiento cheese spread appetizer - how can you go wrong? - salads and main courses. All wonderful. We shared a key lime pie and it was a real one! Yellow, creamy and tangy.Special Features:
- RRRRRRRRVIPDined on 9/25/2014Outstanding meal, one my top five favorite places to go when on vacation. This is a must go to restaurant when visiting Hilton Head!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip it- bland food, rushed serviceFoodiemoiDined on 9/25/2014I did not like this meal at all. Bland food and very rushed service. Many better restaurants on the island to try
- Good,but over pricedPatknowsfoodDined on 9/21/2014For two people my total bill was $114.00. We ordered two salads and two entrees and one glass of wine and the food was just ok. Won't be back. I'll go to Charlie'sSpecial Features:
- Disappointing return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/17/2014On past trips, we've thoroughly enjoyed dining at Red Fish but not this time! First, the service was extremely slow; several requests were totally ignored, such as extra lemons. When our food arrived, two of our party were shocked; their shrimp and lobster burger didn't match the menu description. It was an even greater disappointment when they ate it. I had the flounder special which was served atop grits, which I love, but couldn't even taste them - bland. My family has crossed this restaurant off our list of "must visit while on HHI" list.
- best food on the IslandJohn2NancyDined on 9/17/2014wow, where do I start. from the lovely Hostess, to the efficient bus staff, to the knowledgeable servers and all the way up to the General Manager, everyone there made our dining experience a memorable evening. they have one of the best wine selections I have seen and the food is just amazing. Latin ribs paired with sweet potato fries, shrimp and grits with kale, coconut shrimp with a wonderful glaze, salmon so moist and delicious and loads of other great seafood options. the salad had a lovely mango vinegarette dressing. moist sweet carrot cake and some of the best keylime pie I have ever had. it was so good that we ended up eating there four times during our seven day vacation. every meal seems like a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We LOVE Redfish!AAloverDined on 9/13/2014We've been there several times before and have always really enjoyed the evening. The wine/cocktail list is extensive and the menu and specials nicely varied. We did have a couple of "hiccups" this time with service which seems to happen more often when establishments have "runners" that do the serving rather than the wait staff. Only one salad (which actually was added after the order was put in!) came out, but when we asked about mine it came pretty quickly. Problem was that the dinners came before my salad did so we asked them to wait. Our server was extremely apologetic and rather than just keeping our entrees warm they prepared new ones when we were ready for them. The situation was handled well and we will happily return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & ambianceThomasVIPDined on 9/11/2014Excellent food & ambiance -- This restaurant is a great find. If you like seafood you will enjoy Red Fish Restaurant, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all-time favorite on HHI.tinawinaDined on 9/10/2014Creative, delicious food served by professionals. It's fun to choose your own bottle of wine from the shelves to drink with the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible and tastelessimpaulies1girlDined on 9/5/2014Total disappointment! Too much money out into brochures and not enough into the produce, meat, and cooking personnel. Quite unfortunate. Also extremely noisy. Not a good word- will never return.
- Seafood loverSeafoodloverDined on 8/31/2014That place was recommended by someone local. I had crab cakes and they were very good, although the portion was small. I didn't like they paired it with fries, somekind of rice would be a better alternative. My husband had a special of the night which was a grouper with mango salsa and mashed potatoes and that looked good but he said he would like the fish to have more kick to it. It's a mild fish and if the salsa would be more spicee it would be better. It was very noisy inside and The extra sides are expensive, $9 for side salad. The service was good.Special Features:
- Fit for Faux FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014You can live by your reputation for only so long. Good drinks and nice wine selection, but if you want well prepared seafood, go elsewhere. The fish and scallops (2 tell-tale samples of what a good chef should be capable of preparing) were overcooked and uneventful. For those "foodies" who don't know the difference, the meal was edible. Out of four dining experiences within 5 miles, Red Fish was at the bottom of the list. I suggest "checking" on what your "competition" is preparing.Special Features:
- A Must in Hilton HeadjjtinoDined on 8/26/2014We've been coming down to Hilton Head for 10 years and Red Fish has been part of our vacation for as long as I can remember. The food, ambience, wine selection, and service are all top shelf. My wife craves the lobster burger every year but was so intrigued by one of the specials, we are going back tomorrow night so she can get her burger. This place never sits back on its laurels and continually delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration and Birthday Dinnersusansings2uDined on 8/22/2014Wow--fantastic, delicious dinner to celebrate two family birthdays. Friendly, kind over-the-top service with a smile, delicious food, great pace, and elegant service! Loved it!Special Features:
- Read the reviewsSearcherVIPDined on 8/22/2014I read the reviews and decided to give it a try. I must say that I was not impressed. I had the grouper and my wife had the shrimp and grits. She is a shrimp and grits expert being from Savannah. My fish was over cooked and the sauce was bland. The shrimp and grits was somewhat disappointing. Nothing great, they tried to spice it up with fried okra but it did not help. Overall, I give it a c. There are better places to eat.
- Ohioan at HHIOhiodrVIPDined on 8/21/2014My 35-year old daughter and I had a great experience here. The food was outstanding and my martini was well-prepared (not too much vermouth). We both had seafood and were extremely pleased at the preparation and presentation. Also, the size of portions was perfect.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodVeggieKokoDined on 8/21/2014Our waitress was very good and it was obvious she was very busy and had to walk a long way between her different tasks. We had the Crab Dip for an appetizer and it was very tasty. My husband has the Fish special which he enjoyed, and I had the Veggie Strudel which was good- a little too salty. We both has drinks which were ok. We took the coconut pie home and had it later and it was very tasty. We were sitting in the back room and I found the ambience quite boring. The bamboo window coverings just added to the colorless room. It needs more color.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmmVIPDined on 8/21/2014scallops were undercooked, and the lobster mac and cheese was overcooked and watery, with virtually no lobster in the mac and cheese...did not see what all the fuss was about this dish...disappointing overallSpecial Features:
- Don't miss this restaurant!LisaSDined on 8/20/2014We've been coming to this restaurant for years, and it never disappoints! The food is consistently wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific in every way!MictomDined on 8/20/2014One if the Island's top 5 restaurants. Don't leave here without experiencing it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Our food was good, my Husband order a Chilean Sea Bass with Udon noodles, he's fish was great and the noodles were cold, not sure if that's the way is should have been, but he enjoyed it. I had triggerfish lightly blackened and it was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HabortownregularVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our first time there--RedFish was recommended highly by many Harbor Town/HHI regulars and it was superb. We all had different dishes--ribs, chicken, and fish special--and everyone was delighted!Special Features:
- great dining experience with wifemartyDined on 8/16/2014everything was superb especially the great food and service. we will come back again in the near future.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!DrGLTDined on 8/14/2014Great lunch (fabulous burger and coconut creme pie). Manager was very friendly and accommodating. Wait staff was well trained. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDaisygirlVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a nice early bird dinner. The portions were generous. The waitress, Claudia, was efficient and very personable. We will return.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!DrGLTDined on 8/12/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at Red Fish! The soup was fantastic and the burger was cooked to perfection! It is obvious that this restaurant is well managed, and the wait staff was excellent! This experience makes you feel good!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerwillmoacDined on 8/9/2014Whilst taking our vacation on Hilton Head Island it was our wedding anniversary. After looking at various publications, Tripadvisor and OpenTable I decided that I would book a table at Red Fish for my wife & myself to celebrate our anniversary. We were both very pleased with our menu choices and the meal itself, the service was also good. At first on entry to the dining room we thought it to be very loud, but after a few minutes the noise level was no longer a problem. We visited on a very busy Saturday night after making a reservation through OpenTable. We would definitely eat at this restaurant again if we were to visit Hilton Head in the future. Visited August 2014Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I put in the notes that it was my daughter's 18th birthday. No one acknowledge it. Very disappointed. I even told the hostess who did nothing special. I thought they would of sat us in a extra nice table. There was no one in the dining room and they wanted to sit us by the kitchen door. No happy.
- Excellent All AroundLargeDined on 8/8/2014This was the best dinner (food and otherwise) my fiancé and I have had in months and we live in New York City. Delicious cuisine along with a friendly and knowledgable server (Chelsea) provided a fantastic dining experience. Highly recommend and if we are ever in the area we will most certainly be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Mac 'n CheeseKphjrVIPDined on 8/8/2014For the most part we found Red Fish good, but little to drag us back. When visiting from another state or province, we would expect fish from local waters. It seemed everything in this restaurant was imported from other states and provinces and nothing local. Not one fish was local... they had halibut, they had mahi-mahi, they had big eye tuna, but no grouper or flounder, etc. I must say the ribs, although sweeter, were a very good. This is a great place for families... it's huge and reasonably priced and that which they do serve is well prepared. Oh yeah, the Lobster Mac 'n Cheese is delicious.Special Features:
- Once again, superb!DrGLTDined on 8/8/2014We never miss the opportunity when visiting the Island to eat at Red Fish! The halibut and scallops were fresh, the wines were delicious, and the dessert was wonderful! Thanks to Chef and Jeff Martin for another wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- absolutely fantastic!nykizimmDined on 8/8/2014Seared scallops, lobster mac n cheese and grilled asparagus was to die for! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with my mumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Practically perfect in every way. Delicious food, lovely setting, pleasant staff, accommodating, friendly, excellent quality... nothing to complain about and very reasonably priced too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HHI RegularsTNTCVIPDined on 8/4/2014We always plan Red Fish into our vacations on HHI. We enjoy the stalwart southern fusion with eastern flair dishes as well as the specials. The wine list is superb and the prices sublime. Unfortunately our last visit was on a night with screaming babies, wandering toddlers and ignorant parents.Special Features:
- Great Experience!love2dineoutDined on 8/4/2014The food was great, and the service was better. We enjoyed our Redfish dining experience and will definately be back again.Special Features:
- Was craving a dinner at Red FishRutiDined on 8/1/2014Never disappoints! Our out of town friends loved it too. Great food and service. A little loud as it was crowded but it's Friday night in the summer on Hilton Head Island.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant local fareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014we went for the early dining. something for all The menu was absolutely wonderful just enough food, great environment. The Shrimp and grits are fabulous, not runny grits shrimp not overcooked. The cocunut shrimp was also absolutely fabulous. Child friendly restaurant. Recommend Early Dining option..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.