Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - Palo Alto
445 Emerson Street
Palo Alto, CA 94031Neighborhood:
BurmesePrice: $30 and under
Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rangoonruby.com/
- Phone: (650) 323-6543
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days per week
Lunch daily from 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner Sunday - Thursday 5pm - 10pm
Dinner Friday and Saturday 5pm - 10:30pm
Happy Hour Specials from 5-6pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays), at the bar only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burmese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chefs Win Aye and Win Tin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Darryl Wong for catering details.
- Entertainment: Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine's bar features iPads, so bar customers may enjoy watching their favorite television shows or to watch a game of your favorite sport. With no television in the restaurant and the technology of the iPads at the bar, this gives our guests the ultimate dining experience.
A word from Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - Palo Alto
Now open in downtown Palo Alto, Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine will have two Wins insuring authentic, Burmese cuisine. Chefs Win Aye and Win Tin formerly of Burma Superstars locations in Oakland and Alameda respectively, will jointly be heading up the kitchen at the new Rangoon Ruby venue. With proven chefs proficient in all of the specialties that make Burmese cuisine sought after by Asian food aficionados, plus a modern, upscale ambiance located in downtown Palo Alto, Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine expects to strike a chord with Silicon Valley diners looking for a fresh, clean approach to one of the worlds great cuisines. Influenced by Indian, Thai and Chinese cooking, the traditional Burmese menu will be complemented by a full bar with signature tropical cocktails including the eponymous Rangoon Ruby, a mid-century libation thought to be the forerunner of todays Cosmopolitan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine - Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (75)neighborhood gem (41)great for lunch (34)good for groups (31)special occasion (28)hot spot (27)romantic (12)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food place.GregVIPDined on 11/19/2014Love the flavors. Tea Leaf Salad is the best. A must order...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBethVIPDined on 11/18/2014My daughter had recommended this restaurant saying that it was noisy but that the food was outstanding. I agree with her first comment but found the food to be dull. Everything tasted the same. Our first course, a catfish soup was undistinguished and the portion was tiny. We were dining with another couple so we shared several platters of "stuff." Service was abysmal. We waited forever for our drinks and then they plopped everything including the soup on our table at the same time.
- musthavedessertDined on 11/17/2014We ordered the tea leaf salad and samosas as appetizers. They were both fantastic, especially the tea leaf salad (I'd never had anything like it–the flavors were great and the textures truly complemented each other). We were a party of two, and decided we would share the pumpkin curry. The pumpkin pieces were big and flavorful and the chicken seemed like it was mostly dark meat (which is good, depending on people's preferences) but was still nice and meaty (rather than fatty). Since we were out for a birthday, they gave us a complimentary scoop of delicious mango ice cream, but we decided we couldn't pass up the black sticky rice, so we ordered that with a side of coconut ice cream. Both were great. I think the ice cream is homemade (or at least it tastes homemade and thick and fantastic!) and the black sticky rice had just the right amount of sweetness in it. The service was pretty great, there were periods in which our waiter didn't check up on us, but the other waiting staff were fantastic about filling our waters and clearing our plates. Would definitely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKapuDined on 11/16/2014My wife said that this was the best Asian food she had ever had. This is my new favorite restaurant in Palo Alto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love that tea leaf salad!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/15/2014Rangoon Ruby is worth the trip for the delicious Tea Leaf Salad alone. Service is very attentive and they are very appreciative of your business. The stir fried pork with tofu was my favorite entree dish so far. The pumpkin and chicken had a great sauce, but I didn't care much for the large pieces of chicken (especially the dark meat). But this is one of my favorite Palo Alto restaurants! But make a reservation if you don't want to wait for an hour or more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cramped placePravDined on 11/12/2014Teal Leaf salad, Samosa Soup, Veg Kebat..the list goes on. Food is awesome. Tables are cramped. Tends to be very noisy. Love the place for the food but i wish there was more space between tables and the place was less noisy. But the food and service more than makes up for the flaws.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine BurmeseOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/12/2014Delicious, interesting Burmese menu. Even though the restaurant was packed and very busy, we were seated for our reservation quickly. We asked our friendly waitress for recommendations for lunch for two. We started with the Tea Salad mixed at the table (ground tea leaves, shrimp powder, peanuts, fried garlic and many other unusual ingredients which I cannot recall now) to share, followed by a chicken dish and then spicy eggplant with coconut rice (yum!). Everything was really good. The dishes at other tables looked quite tasty too including a coconut drink served in the shell.Special Features:
- great servicemotherof6VIPDined on 11/11/2014Great service waiters were very friendly and took time to explain dishes and wonderful full foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014Great food, tea leaf salad, pumpkin stew, mango chicken... everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesWorktravelsDined on 11/3/2014I try to make a point of coming here every time I am in Palo Alto. Great Burmese food can be hard to find in other parts of the country.Special Features:
- Awesome place for a exotic mealBuddyAJDined on 11/2/2014This restaurant gets packed at dinner times during the weekends. The ambience is very good and the food is awesome. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, staff variestannercDined on 11/1/2014The food at Rangoon Ruby is absolutely fantastic. Service from staff varies. Be prepared to scream across the table to talk to anyone.Special Features:
- Great Burmese CuisineBayAreaVIPDined on 10/26/2014A group of 5, we enjoyed a selection of dishes, all were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite PA restaurantsdrip83Dined on 10/25/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Palo Alto: food is delicious and unique, service is great and it is always packed. Be sure to order the salad they will prepare on your table on your plate.Special Features:
- StapleChangedDined on 10/16/2014It's a go-to place when in Palo Alto. Can get busy so reservations are recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceGattmanEOCDined on 10/3/2014Food was solid and was very good. Good amount of food and is very reasonable in general and for area. Nicely done tables and décor. Dishes were very tasty, fresh and good quality. We were late for our reservation and they really did a good job of getting us in. Good people working there, both at hosting desk and servers, etc.Special Features:
- Great find!KenLDined on 10/3/2014It was very busy on Friday night but the service was still excellent! We had ordered appetizers and salads and was still deciding on entrees while the server was waiting on us, the appetizers and salad was already delivered to our table. Food was good. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great food!!!kg6dplDined on 10/3/2014"Unusual menu. Lots of different pumpkin based soups. Great catfish! Havn't found another place like it.Special Features:
- Tea leaf heavenWorththemoneyandtimeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Delicious and unique flavors make this place a must try, especially the knock your socks off yummy tea leaf salad. Service and ambiance add a casually elegant feel. Perfect for double dates or a meal with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get Food SuggestionswalkaboutVIPDined on 9/25/2014I've been to Rangoon Ruby 3 times and each time get the Tea Leaf Salad and then asked for suggestions. I would not have picked the suggestions myself (eg., Pumpkin Chicken Stew), but each time have tried a new dish and all these have been winners. The tables are a little close and the restaurant is usually full. The service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMrosso3Dined on 9/13/2014I've been to Burma Superstar, the sister chain of this restaurant, and was disappointed in my service at the Palo Alto location of Rangoon Ruby. Although our server was great, the general attitude of the owners, hosts, and staff was rude. Rarely a smile, courteous language or friendly tone in any interaction we had with them throughout the night. The very strong impression is given that you are a burden, not a welcomed patron, when checking in for your reservation. The food was overpriced but tasted fine. The noise level was disruptive and annoying, and I say this as a 25 year-old restaurant go-er. I'd go back to Burma Superstar before I'd eat here again.Special Features:
- great food pushy waitermagsDined on 9/11/2014very pushy waiter was physically turning pages of my menu while I was holding it. waiter never checked table once food was dropped. waiter dropped check without asking if we wanted more cocktails, coffee or desert. Noise level is beyond 'energetic.' It is closer to deafening. Tables are so close that I was bumping elbows with the person at the next table. great food but never again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2014not authentic Burmese, lacking in garlic, onions and spiciness.Special Features:
- This place is always goodWontBeBackVIPDined on 9/1/2014Have eaten here twice; both times thought it was very good. Food is very tasty Burmese cooking; ambiance is busy & upscale feeling without being irritating. Good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a find!egthefoodieDined on 8/31/2014New flavors and amazing dishes, beautiful interior and reasonable prices, this place is date night gold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafoodloverVIPDined on 8/30/2014My only complaint at ruby's is the seating, with tables so close together that having a conversation about anything private or even slightly personal is uncomfortable. For someone who is slightly hearing impaired, and needs to listen closely to my dinng companions, that means other conversations overlap, and we must speak even louder to be heard. But, having said that, the food is outstanding, good sized portions on everything, and service people are quite attentive. Salads are marvelous, especially dooms a salad. Fried rice was good, and main dishes excellent. I've been three times and will undoubtedly return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service-good food-toomanytablesLaulauDined on 8/29/2014I like the food, it is quite good. But the service is pretty rude. The first words the hostess said were: "can you eat in this amount of time? Because we have other reservations later. Otherwise we can accomodate you at the bar where there is no time limit". Plus the place os pack with tables that are too close to each other.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply greatChangedDined on 8/22/2014Rangoon Ruby never lets us down. It's great place to eat for any occasion and the servers will assist you in finding something delicious to eat. I would recommend the northern friend tofu, tea leaf salad, and the pea leaves (if in season).Special Features:
- Awesome restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Rangoon Ruby is a great restaurant, Food was delicious, unique and service was quick. I would definitely go there again. The only thing is that I found the seating space was a bit cramped...Slightly more space would be good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKapuDined on 8/19/2014It was my first visit, will come back. The place was packed, and the noise level pretty high.Special Features:
- Great Dining PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014This was my first time trying Burmese food. Went to this restaurant on a whim and was very surprised as to how amazing the dishes were. The restaurant is on the smaller side, but other than that I love the atmosphere and vibe of the place. I ordered the tea leaf salad, salt and pepper calamari, basil chili beef, and coconut rice. Everything was delicious and the flavors were very unique! Our waitress was incredibly nice. Good experience. If you're up for trying a new cuisine, I highly recommend this spot.Special Features:
- Hit or missOutdoorLuncherDined on 8/12/2014Some things on the menu are amazing (such as the mango salad) but others are a real let down (crispy salmon, for example). We have been back 3 or 4 times and each time have had about 2/3 great items and 1/3 really unimpressive items. If you are willing to experiment to find the good stuff it is amazing. It seems like a place with these prices would raise the bar on all items though.Special Features:
- Cannot Keep Up With DemandOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014Our first few visits to RR were excellent. Great food, service and atmosphere. This week I took a visitor there for lunch and everything except the cucumber water and Burma Rice was off. We ordered the Tea Leaf Salad staple which came out over salted and a bit mushy. Our Chicken Burmese Curry was watery and bland with dry white meat chicken pieces which clearly were added to the sauce late rather than having been marinated. Only the Burmese Rice side dish was acceptable. RR is opening a second location in downtown Palo Alto. The kichen seems stretched right now with only one venue.
- great food; very rushed serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014the food is excellent . however , they serve every dish in very rapid succession. they served us our appetizers. within a minute came the salad and 30 seconds letter our main course. they clearly are trying to get everyone in and out really fast. (coupe next to us was in and out in 30 minutes for several courses.) this is fine for a business lunch but not for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Amazing food, but super crampedaRandomReviewDined on 8/1/2014The food here was incredible! I made a reservation for 8:30 PM for 3, and sure enough we showed up at 8:30 on the dot and our table was ready. All of us in the party thoroughly enjoyed every bite. On top of this, the portion sizes were perfect. It was more than enough food to fill you up, but not over the top gigantic like so many restaurants in America. The thing I disliked about this place was just how packed it was. The tables were so close together and the restaurant at capacity, I was bumped in to by servers and customers every time I turned around. If you're claustrophobic or want to be able to move around, this is NOT the place for you. I could barely get up to go to the restroom.Special Features:
- A little too loud for date nightdinerinPAVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was pretty good, although I felt like there was too much garlic in every dish. It would have been nice if other seasoning was used to pump up the flavors. The tables are a bit close together and the restaurant got very loud which made it hard to talk.
- Yumm!legalmgmDined on 7/31/2014First time at this restaurant and it is good to go early, with a reservation, as it fills up quickly. A friend and I shared the Palata - was not expecting whole pieces of chicken to be eaten with the bread - it was quite delicious. We asked for medium "heat" - it was extremely mild (but flavorful). Next time - hot please!. We also had the tea leaf salad - what a fabulous experience of texture and flavor. Then burmese rice and Kebat chicken - also very flavorful. We both thoroughly enjoyed our dinner along with a nice bottle of wine. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible service and foodHappinessDined on 7/29/2014Mouth watering dishes and abundant choices. I love this restaurant. The service was esquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a delightfoodismylifeDined on 7/29/2014I loved this first visit. The waitstaff were helpful and the food was delish. Will come back again definitely/Special Features:
- Too much hypegmehtasterDined on 7/26/2014For all the hype, the food is average. The service was great. Food was average, and price was too high. Overall I wont go again. Won't recommend to anyone.