Puesto at the Headquarters
789 W. Harbor Dr.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Puesto at the Headquarters
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatpuesto.com/
- Phone: 6192338880
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am -4:45pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm -9:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Luisteen Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Puesto offers it's spectacular taco bar experience on-the-go! Whether you are looking for a uniquely catered event with our made-to-order taco stand or something more exclusive with our highly-sought-after pink taco truck, we can handle any event - large or small! Please visit our website for further details: eatpuesto.com
- Cross Street: Pacific Highway
- Public Transit: MTS Trolley: Green Line, Seaport Village stop (directly across from Headquarters) 0.1 miles away Amtrak / Santa Fe Depot: 1050 Kettner Blvd, 0.4 miles away
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Lot Parking available in Seaport Village. Valet parking available courtesy of The Headquarters at Seaport District.
A word from Puesto at the Headquarters
Puesto is a popular San Diego restaurant that successfully mixes a casual attitude with an original twist on Mexican street food and drinks. Puesto demonstrates the true meaning of fresh with handmade tortillas, scratch salsas, all-natural meats, sustainable seafood and local organic greens. This incredible combination of the freshest, highest quality ingredients all prepared in house results in the greatest tacos you've ever tasted! In addition, Chef Luisteen serves beautiful market salads, antojitos (Mexican tapas), ceviches, moles, tostadas and other authentic Mexican favorites. Puesto also offers a refreshing craft bar program dedicated to freshness and quality with scratch margaritas, palomas, micheladas and seasonal aguas frescas. ¡SALUD!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Puesto at the Headquarters - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Puesto at the Headquarters reviews from OpenTable diners
229 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (168)fit for foodies (116)good for groups (113)hot spot (100)great for lunch (92)vibrant bar scene (76)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (47)kid-friendly (42)great for brunch (31)late-night find (29)scenic view (23)romantic (17)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Can't always be perfectRobMVIPDined on 9/14/2014Made a reservation via Open Table and arrived on time. We were made to wait almost 10 minutes despite dozens of open tables. Took forever for a waiter to come over and almost 40 minutes for our food to arrive (3 people with 3 taco plates). When it did, all three plates had the wrong taco combinations. We were so hungry we said to leave them! Then our waiter was AWOL to find him to get the check. Lunch took almost two hours for three tacos apiece- way too long of a chunk of time out of our day. What was most embarrassing was that I had talked up Puesto to my two guests who had never eaten there before. Not a good "first experience" for them - but the food was excellent as always.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/9/2014The place is really cool , n food was delicious . Would def be back whenever in San Diego .Special Features:
- Food Is The StarOnthehuntDined on 9/6/2014This was our third visit. The tacos and margaritas are outstanding. Table service is attentive and knowledgeable. The down side is the noise level in some parts of the restaurant. Deafening. That is why we, again, requested a table upstairs. However, my request was not honored despite making a reservation 5 days in advance. We had an out of town guest with us and had much to talk about. That was difficult given where we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014Overpriced food on normal days. Great deal for Taco Tuesdays. Potato Soy Chorizo taco was tasty. Fish tacos mundane in taste. Frozen Horchata is nothing special and gave me the runs.Special Features:
- Slow Serviceluv2eatoutVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food was amazing and our waiter was great, but the time it takes to get the food and drinks was appalling. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. The problem was our sides game out after we had already finished our meal. He apologized and they did take them off the bill, but a restaurant that has been open for 10 months should, by now, have figured out how to get the food out to the tables on time. And my husband ordered a margarita during the meal and it came out after the sides. This does not stop me from going here again, but I sure hope they figure out the kitchen and bar timing issues.Special Features:
- great food slow serviceRadarDined on 8/29/2014The food is really good and a twist on traditional Mexican food. The Service was very slow 15 minutes tell we were first asked what 2e wanted to drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service from hostIndisPuestoDined on 8/28/2014I had a reservation for 9 p.m. and we were at the restaurant at 8 p.m. and asked the host to seat us as soon as possible. He said he would get us a table but I did not get a txt message until 9pm. By then we were already eating at the Cheesecake Factory. I did talk to the host twice before going to the Cheesecake Factory and asking for a table. We had to wait there as we'll but it was a lot faster than at Puesto.Special Features:
- Great vibe, no so great foodmyreview4uDined on 8/27/2014Fantastic location, fun, exciting ambiance, inviting aromas. Really pulled me in eager to give it a try. But fell flat the minute we sat down. Chips were stale. Tacos seemed thrown together with cheap ingredients. No homemade freshness or distinct flavors IMO. Too bad, because if they pulled off the menu it would be 5 star all the way. The location and design is wonderful.Special Features:
- Delisioso!dsrtlvrDined on 8/26/2014Puesto at The Headquarters was the perfect place for a reunion with former co-workers. The ambiance is exceptional, service was impeccable and the food delisioso!Special Features:
- RolledTacosPorVidaDined on 8/23/2014Tasty strawberry mint agua fresca and guacamole, nice take on Elotes con Queso, Mexican Bowl was delish and tacos (chicken al pastor, shrimp and baja fish) were surprisingly good (carnitas was a bit underwhelming though).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Just tried Puesto for the first time. We made a reservation and were seated right away. The experience was pleasant. My husband and I each got 3 different tacos, all of which were really good. (The chicken al pastor was a little dry, though) Overall it was a nice time, and worth trying once, for sure.Special Features:
- Fun bunchFunbunchDined on 8/21/2014Seven of us got together for a day of fun and adventure. Enjoyed dining outside. Food was great as we're the margaritas! Our waitress was exceptional.Special Features:
- Puesto is a WinnerEpicureanDined on 8/20/2014Our second time at Puesto for a birthday celebration was a winner. We made reservations through Open Table and were seated promptly upon arrival. It was bustling on Wednesday at lunch hour, and the wait staff were struggling to keep up with the demands of the lunch crush. Nonetheless, their straightforward menu made ordering simple and fast. Our party of 10 raved about the tacos, especially the pollo al pastor and pollo verde tacos. Amazing flavors and the trio taco plate made a very substantial meal. We love this place and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and set upOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014We've enjoyed lunch at Puesto. Food was excellent. It was very busy at noon, but quiet at 2. Choice is a bit limited but none of us was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Amazing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/19/2014WOW! What a great find! The food was fabulous! The service could not have been any better. Busy lunch hour, lots of people and the food, the service did not miss a beat. I will be back! Thank you.Special Features:
- Puesto is FunnadobunnyDined on 8/19/2014We love to go to Puesto on a sunny weekday for lunch. The house margaritas are wonderful_-the best in town, in my view. The service is good. The food is interesting and fairly good, priced OK. What more could you want? Noisy and lively inside, quieter outsideSpecial Features:
- Puesto Gemluv2eatDined on 8/17/2014Loved the variety of tacos. Each one was uniquely different and delicious and the staff were wonderful We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- PinkDined on 8/17/2014This was our second pass through Puesto at the Headquarters. We both went with the three taco plates.....my wife being vegetarian tried one each of the three veggie options and was impressed with all three. I went with mahi, lobster, carnitas.....each superb. The scene is pretty busy but service was timely and very good. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very well rounded experienceDelmargirlVIPDined on 8/16/2014i have been here over 5 times, and really enjoy it. i usually choose it because of the ambience, energy, outdoor seating. indoor has ample nice seating, with an open floor plan too. the food really rocks. very fresh, all beautifully presented. the tacos really are the bomb, and you can't go wrong you have to try the lobster taco. the latest dish i'm in love with is the mole, which is served with 3 different styles with corn tortillas. the service is ok, he forgot to bring some requests, but usually i have no problem. overall, a fun place, that i love to take my family/friends out to.Special Features:
- simply amazingaryamDined on 8/15/2014The best vegetarian tacos, just try them. I don't have much more to say than your missing out if you haven't gone.Special Features:
- Love it!ReekoDined on 8/15/2014Food and drinks are delicious! Service is always good👍 had reservations but had to walk up to reservation desk because they never text me at my reservation. Time. Once I walked up and asked when I would be seated, they said oh we can go ahead and seat you.Special Features:
- Fun Place!FoodieGalDined on 8/15/2014This was a refreshing twist on traditional Mexican...serving much lighter fare and Mexican street food (tacos mostly), it was fun and different. We went to celebrate my daughter's last dinner with her grandparents before heading off to college back east. She wanted Mexican food, and this was the perfect fit. Fun modern decor, and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Worth checking out!ForkitoverDined on 8/11/2014There are LOTS of dining choices in San Diego, many of them Mexican-themed. Puesto stands out not only for their cool decor and architecture, but for their food and.....hold on.....service! This is (unfortunately) the rare SoCal rest. w/ a properly trained wait & bus staff, that not only do their jobs properly and efficiently, but they have great knowledge of their menu, food, and drinks. Worth coming back to. To critique: the salsas are their Achilles heal, flavorful enough, but way to mild. They were "out" of the more robust salsa, the chef was "making" it. How does a Mex rest. run out of salsa, esp. on a Mon.? The drinks are a little small, but well crafted. A bit noisy, but not over the top. The entrance is confusing. Check them out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencefrankiepigDined on 8/9/2014We drove down for my best friend's bachelorette weekend and booked this restaurant for dinner after reading good reviews and it being walking distance from our hotel. The tacos were great as well as the guacamole and a couple other appetizers. They accommodated our party of 10 with a large community table and sat us very quickly on a Saturday night at 8:30. The ambiance was perfect for what we were looking for and the architecture was awesome. Everyone had a good time and loved the food. Service was great, wish I could remember our server's name! He was patient and knowledgable and didn't even roll his eyes when we split payment on the check five hundred ways :/ I would definitely recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic DiningHighPocketsDined on 8/9/2014Great taco selections and our waitperson, Rachel, was excellent. Service on a busy Saturday night was a tad slow, but understandable. A fun, energetic place for a distinctive meal.Special Features:
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014This place is ultra modern, with a fun taco menu. Our waiter was helpful & patient with our 2yr old daughter (he lent us his pen since we forgot crayons & the restaurant doesn't have any). The outdoor area is a nice option. A lot if the restaurant was quite open so most of the tables were near outside. The music was a tad loud but it's a trendy spot so it's expected. They're signature margarita was only ok, but the the "red" something cocktail on their list (forgot name) was super good. Will definitively return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to table or floor to table??alwayshungryVIPDined on 8/7/2014A server dropped a napkin setting on the floor, (silverware wrapped in a cloth napkin) picked it up, and placed the setting on a plate, on the table.
- A bit disappointedBummedDined on 8/6/2014I was excited to go here based upon reviews and recommendations. I was disappointed in the service - we could not even finish a bite without someone trying to remove plates but when we needed the check no one was to be found.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and Special RestaurantTLBROWNDined on 8/6/2014Ambiance of the converted Police HQ is quite nice and visually interesting. Noise in the 2-level eating areas is moderate and not overwhelming. Any seat is nice, with some a bit more special than others. Outside or inside will give you an enjoyable view of activities within the area. Service is excellent and attentive. And the food.... simply delicious. The 3 taco mix and match is a great way to provide variety to a meal without having to return multiple times to try different tastes (although that is not a bad scenario either!). There is not a bad choice on the entire menu. Everything is fresh, robustly seasoned, and appetizingly presented. Any time you are able, eat here. You will have a great meal and a great time.Special Features:
- Loved this place!MyreviewDined on 8/4/2014The tacos are amazing. Try the filet mignon. Can't wait to go back. Wishing they would open a place near San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco anyone?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014My coworkers and I went there for lunch to celebrate one of my coworkers' birthday. I tried their 3 for $12 tacos for lunch: Chicken Al Pastor, Chicken Verde and Baja Fish. Baja Fish was my least favorite, then Al Pastor and my favorite was the Chicken Verde. Baja Fish was bland and it needed more flavor. Chicken Al Pastor had a really good flavor with a kick to it. Chicken Verde was just perfect. Creamy and delicious. Majority in my lunch group agreed. They also gave the birthday guy a dessert and it was perfect! I should've asked what the dessert was called but it had a vanilla icecream sandwiched in a deepfried tortilla with cinammon and sugar and drizzled with chocolate chips and chocolate syrup. It was delicious!!!Special Features:
- Hot spotAngieDined on 8/3/2014Fun, entertaining scene. Bar and deco of the place sets the mood for unwinding and having fun. Their tacos were amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Cheap....walkerDined on 7/29/2014FOOD GOOD HOWEVER DRINKS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!! Margaritas not worth the price!!!Special Features:
- Hidden gemsuazz248Dined on 7/29/2014What a great place. Staff was great. Food ..amazing.. can get a little expensive if you are a big eater..otherwise.. great tasting food..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor seatingspecialfoodDined on 7/28/2014I love the outdoor seating at this Puesto. The food is fresh and delicious. It takes some work to find kid friendly options though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch!foodiepharmieVIPDined on 7/27/2014Dog friendly and great brunch spot. Love walking my dog to Puesto and sitting outside with a margarita. Good food, drinks and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed a fun and quick dinner at Puesto before a concert. Great spot to grab a quick bite. Tasty, elevated "street" food with fun fresh flavors. Highly recommend the horchata!Special Features:
- Great Street-Style TacosOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Gourmet tacos in an energtic, vibrant scene. Outstanding choice of tacos...one of the best Baja Fish Taco's I've ever had...Chile Verde Taco was superb...but the star of the evening was the Filet Mignon Taco...simply fabulous! Great margaitas, and our server was ever attentive and very friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014Reasonably priced and delicious food -- great ambiance too!Special Features:
- YumwowDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food, loud, fun & vibrant atmosphere. A different twist on typical Mexican food. Mango pineapple margarita was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.