Puesto at the Headquarters
789 W. Harbor Dr.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Puesto at the Headquarters
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatpuesto.com/
- Phone: 6192338880
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am -4:45pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm -9:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Luisteen Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Puesto offers it's spectacular taco bar experience on-the-go! Whether you are looking for a uniquely catered event with our made-to-order taco stand or something more exclusive with our highly-sought-after pink taco truck, we can handle any event - large or small! Please visit our website for further details: eatpuesto.com
- Cross Street: Pacific Highway
- Public Transit: MTS Trolley: Green Line, Seaport Village stop (directly across from Headquarters) 0.1 miles away Amtrak / Santa Fe Depot: 1050 Kettner Blvd, 0.4 miles away
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Lot Parking available in Seaport Village. Valet parking available courtesy of The Headquarters at Seaport District.
A word from Puesto at the Headquarters
Puesto is a popular San Diego restaurant that successfully mixes a casual attitude with an original twist on Mexican street food and drinks. Puesto demonstrates the true meaning of fresh with handmade tortillas, scratch salsas, all-natural meats, sustainable seafood and local organic greens. This incredible combination of the freshest, highest quality ingredients all prepared in house results in the greatest tacos you've ever tasted! In addition, Chef Luisteen serves beautiful market salads, antojitos (Mexican tapas), ceviches, moles, tostadas and other authentic Mexican favorites. Puesto also offers a refreshing craft bar program dedicated to freshness and quality with scratch margaritas, palomas, micheladas and seasonal aguas frescas. ¡SALUD!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Puesto at the Headquarters - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Puesto at the Headquarters reviews from OpenTable diners
233 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (164)fit for foodies (120)good for groups (110)hot spot (106)great for lunch (81)vibrant bar scene (71)neighborhood gem (56)special occasion (44)kid-friendly (35)late-night find (30)great for brunch (21)scenic view (20)romantic (14)notable wine list (5)Show More
- NOISYOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Even though we had a table in the rear of the restaurant, we were unable to converse from one end of the table to the other. The decibel level at the restaurant was off the chart. It didn't make the place seem "happy", rather it made it seem chaotic and schizophrenic. The meal was average at best.
- Why?PoshanVIPDined on 10/21/2014Puesto must be the only Mexican restaurant in San Diego which refuses to offer flour tortillas. Amazing and why? Many Americans prefer flour tortillas. Further, Puesto should learn to cook their filet or at least ask the patron their preference.Special Features:
- Fun new spotLizThompsDined on 10/20/2014I have been to the Puesto in La Jolla several times before, so I was very excited to try their full scale restaurant in Seaport Village. What a fun new spot! Puesto at the Headquarters has a great energy. Although the food is more expensive than their La Jolla location, it is well worth it if you are looking for outstanding service and a unique ambiance. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Hard parking, but great food and atmosphere. Waiter was great and since I listed that we were celebrating two birthdays on the reservation, they graciously brought the birthday girls a treat.Special Features:
- Puesto is the bestoMikeDined on 10/19/2014Puesto is fantastic - probably the best guacamole I've ever had and the tacos are phenomenal. A bit on the smaller side with a trio for $12, but the quality is very good. Taco Tuesday is fantastic with tacos at $2 each (bit more for the lobster and filet tacos). Awesome local taco specialty spot with great, very friendly service. Pretty good value as well relative to other restaurants in the area. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- TrendyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014There are many great things about this place but service is not one of them. Also,while the drinks are tasty,they have little alcohol content.servers advise you to upgrade to top shelf tequila. for a margarita,,really? Why is that necessary? Cocktails are on the smallish side ,too but not the price.It is not the place to go to have drinks BUT the tacos deliver and the salads are great! We ordered two types of guacamole which came out instantly but alas, no chips! We all thought that was hilarious that we would get guacamole but nothing to eat it with...I should mention the guacamole was really good!Our absolute favorite was the frozen horchata.We had 6 of those!Yep service lacks ,food good, somewhat pricey.Special Features:
- Great food, great service, to loud!BarryPDined on 10/18/20146 of us for Saturday night dinner. Table was ready on time. Server, Maria, was outstanding. Great Margaritas and good beer list. Our table was in the old Police Station file room which may have contributed to the over the top noise levels. The music was so loud we could not carry on a conversation with the opposite side of the table. We asked to have it turned down. That is the only down side to this really nice evening. The street tacos were amazing and the side dishes were really excellent and big enough to share. The price for the 6 of us was more than reasonable. So, if a loud boisterous background is not a deterrent for great service and amazing tacos, this is your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tacosYushDined on 10/17/2014Tasty even if not authentically Mexican. Beef fillet and fish tacos both winners. Potato soy also surprisingly tasty. Generous serving of chips and salsa provided free. Bit noisy for our liking, but not any noisier than restaurants with bars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos Fit For Foodies?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014All of the food and ingredients are fresh and local. And, even though the menu is mainly tacos, which are amazing... if you want something lighter and especially to skip the carbs of the tortillas, order the ceviche. It's AMAZING, very tangy and delicious!Special Features:
- A lot of hype but little substanceSusanVIPDined on 10/15/2014Took a friend for a birthday lunch which I mentioned in the booking. I asked for a good table. Even though they were 1/2 full we were seated at the back outside patio not the front, and next to the waitstaff serving table with little room to maneuver. Food was just OK, and $55 for 2 margaritas and 2 orders of tacos is ridiculous for lunch. Instead of offering my friend a birthday dessert or anything after the tacos they just brought the bill, waiter did not ask if we want dessert, coffee, or anything. Definitely not a place for anything special. If you want 3 small tacos and nothing else for $12+ and no frills this is your place. And if you want ahi or lobster tacos they add a surcharge. The basic margarita was good - $11 for that.
- Amazing taco selectionSpurOfMomentDined on 10/13/2014Loved the carnitas, pollo verde, and fish tacos at Puesto. Try the guacamole and the artisan salsas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promises betterPickyeaterDined on 10/12/2014Menu looked great but I ultimately think I chose poorly. Nice quiet plaza to sit outside on hidden from traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- please expand your locationsjedmDined on 10/12/2014Such a different southwestern menu. Even had to take home a menu so that we could try to duplicate, but know that it will not taste as good. Please come to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy tacos!YummyDined on 10/11/2014I visited Puesto with a large group of friends. I made reservations and they were great about confirming and getting us seated right away when we arrived even though they were really busy and there was a lot of people. Service was amazing. We had a person in our group with a special diet, they were very accommodating. The only thing that was a difficult was trying to listen to my friends. The noise level was very high. I can only hear the person sitting right next to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelletMpo5135Dined on 10/10/2014Are service was excellet. We were a group a ladies celebrating my friends bachlorette on Friday October 10th. Are waitress was so sweet. She brought her a shot and a dessert at the end of the night. We will all be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in San DiegoSDNativeDined on 10/10/2014Dined with out of town friends that wanted Mexican food, they left very impressed! Must try Filet Mignon tacos & magaritas if you visit.Special Features:
- Loved itdebcVIPDined on 10/9/2014The taco options are amazing and they accommodated my request for no avocado. Lovely patio. I will definitely return on my next trip to San Diego.Special Features:
- WaikikiDined on 10/8/2014We had a reservation, and we shown to our table right away. The food was phenomenal! The atmosphere is very vibrant and upbeat.Special Features:
- Great as UsualSeenitalldinerDined on 10/7/2014Puesto has never dissapointed. In a time when there is so much pressure to understaff and cut back on service, this place has it down. Great good and pacing for a lunch of busy people. They do a great job making sure everyone understands the menu. Complimentary chips and salsa are great. And free birthday dessert was wonderful.Special Features:
- Puesto is great for lunch!LaineyDeeeDined on 10/7/2014I have been to Puesto several times before and always loved the food, service, and ambiance. I was a little disappointed this time around, because the second-floor seating was closed for some reason at lunchtime. And they no longer serve the chia drink, which mixed with one of the other drinks, was a favorite of mine and many of the people I've brought there. It was originally recommended by a server there. The server we had this time around said it was a corporate decision, and brought us all mango lime drinks on the house, which was a very nice gesture on his part. The Chicken Al Pastor tacos are still THE very best!!! I will be back, and hopefully, can be seated on the second floor overlooking the courtyard!Special Features:
- Good tacosBEARVIPDined on 10/6/2014I love the filet minon, carnitas, and zucchini and cactus tacos. This time they were spicier than last time which I didn't like. Still great flavor but I prefer consistency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is excellent hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014This was my 3rd dinner at Puesto and I have been extremely satisfied every time. I think the cocktails are slightly overpriced, but the pricing on the food is reasonable so it evens out. My first 2 times here I sat outside, this time was inside. It is pretty loud inside when the restaurant is busy. I prefer sitting outside. This is one of my favorite restaurants in San Diego and I will continue to come back frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paying for the atmosphere here...FJMelDined on 10/5/2014Yes- you are overpaying here, but you get a nice atmosphere. 1st impression is very lively due to the fact that you walk past the patio area to get to the entrance. Staff was very friendly, we were seated quickly as we had a reservation. The décor is beautiful, and there are plenty of TV's for the sports fans. As for the food, it's fine. Nothing really knocked our socks off, but it was all good (Tacos, Mole & Barbacoa). It is just difficult for me to wrap my head around paying $4 per taco, even if it does have filet mignon (Actually an extra charge for that!) and they are actually pretty small tacos. It took us a long time to get our drinks, Cadillac Margarita was ok (I've had better) but the frozen Horchata was AMAZING!Special Features:
- Yummy. Fun. Do it now!JPatDined on 10/4/2014We had a fun time, our server made the experience that much better. She helped us make choices, and was always attentive but not overly. She told us about tagging our photos for a free taco, who doesn't want a free taco? She was prompt and super nice when I mentioned it was a friend's birthday as well. Thanks for the yummy food and drinks!Special Features:
- Delicious food and cool settingDishDined on 10/1/2014The shrimp tacos were outstanding, fun drinks, friendly staff. And the decor is really fun.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOx13Dined on 9/29/2014you will not be disappointed by this place everything was on point. A++++++++++++++++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved puesto!NantanDined on 9/27/2014Great food, great atmosphere. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best streetsDevlinnDined on 9/27/2014Puesto serves the best gourmet street tacos I've ever tasted. There is no other restaurant that comes close to the food and service.Special Features:
- Street Foodrelaws52Dined on 9/25/2014Must go place for Mexican style street food. It's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding tacosVisitorDined on 9/25/2014True Mexican tradition. Flavorful, unique. Active scene but good for families also.Special Features:
- JummiesreadyourworldDined on 9/22/2014This is my 3rd time being here and I still love it. I tried the mole this time instead of tacos and it was worth it. Can't go wrong with eating at Puesto.Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2014I love this place and come often. This was the first time I made a reservation. I have to say that I was annoyed that I had to call back to confirm my reservation after making one on line. What's the point of having on line reservations if you have to call to confirm them?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueThehexterVIPDined on 9/21/2014Went with my daughter and GF on a Sunday evening, was packed buy were served quickly and without any delays. Unique tacos and dishes, enjoyed it quite a bit.Special Features:
- great spot for MexicanyummDined on 9/21/2014Been wanting a new Mexican spot. This place is it! Amazing authentic ceviche. Margarita did not dissapoint either. Tacos good. Fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2014Went for Restaurant Week and was impressed with the dinner for 2 offering. More than enough food for 2 hungry people.Special Features:
- Great Mexican Street FoodPlantJoshVIPDined on 9/21/2014This place has a great venue, cool decor and a fun vibe. The challenge is the service. For the 3rd time in a row they cant get the concept of timing down. All three times we've ordered tacos as a main course and the last two I've said I want appetizers first. Waiters said they understood and we still got tacos first and apps after. Last time we got the wrong tacos (they were meant for the table next to ours who had been waiting even longer than us but we'd already handled them before figuring this out) ahead of the apps. Staff seems nice but appears to spend a lot of time talking to each other and pooling in groups instead of paying attention to the customers. Drinks take ages to come. The people are friendly and helpful though.Special Features:
- Great Mexican!1HappyCustomerDined on 9/17/2014Excellent taco creations (pick a mix of 3). Also, cerviche appetizer with a lime sauce. Friendly staff and a beautiful setting at night. Interesting dessert drink "frozen horchado"! Highly recommend a visit to Puesto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Was very happy to see three vegetarian options on the taco section of the menu. I was disappointed that after the first bite the three tacos tasted the same. Also didn't understand why we had to ask for ice for our water as it was a scorcher of a day. Water without ice didn't stay cold for long. Excellent wait staff and good timing from the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Puesto!KBushDined on 9/15/2014My boyfriend and I went here the other night and will absolutely be back! The salsa is AMAZING!! We also got the crab guacamole and the 3 for $12 tacos. These tacos were the best I have had in San Diego, they are wrapped so neatly so they don't' make a mess. Just outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't always be perfectRobMVIPDined on 9/14/2014Made a reservation via Open Table and arrived on time. We were made to wait almost 10 minutes despite dozens of open tables. Took forever for a waiter to come over and almost 40 minutes for our food to arrive (3 people with 3 taco plates). When it did, all three plates had the wrong taco combinations. We were so hungry we said to leave them! Then our waiter was AWOL to find him to get the check. Lunch took almost two hours for three tacos apiece- way too long of a chunk of time out of our day. What was most embarrassing was that I had talked up Puesto to my two guests who had never eaten there before. Not a good "first experience" for them - but the food was excellent as always.Special Features: