Poogan's Porch Restaurant
72 Queen St
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Poogan's Porch Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poogansporch.com/
- Phone: (843) 577-2337
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30-2:30 Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Daniel Doyle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email with any questions. Poogan's would be honored to cater your next special event. Call 843-577-2337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Poogan's Porch offers several private dining rooms newly renovated to suit your distinct style. From wedding rehearsal dinners to farewell brunches, to holiday parties and business meetings, we are able to accommodate groups of 10-110. Personal time with our party planner and you will be set for your next event in no time. We would be honored to host you next special event. Hope to hear from you soon with any of your questions or concerns.
- Private Party Contact: Beth Walton 8435772337x
A word from Poogan's Porch Restaurant
Tucked away on a charming downtown street, Poogan's Porch is one of Charleston’s oldest & most reputable culinary establishments, serving upscale Lowcountry cuisine daily. Since opening in 1976, Poogan’s has been a favorite of well-known celebrities, politicians, tourists & locals alike who rave about this Southern institution. Recognized by Martha Stewart Living, Wine Spectator & the Travel Channel, this beautifully restored Victorian house is the perfect southern locale for lunch, dinner or weekend brunch. Whether it’s a warm homemade buttermilk biscuit & sausage gravy for brunch, a bowl of she-crab soup for lunch, or our signature buttermilk fried chicken for dinner, your meal at Poogan’s will be unforgettable. Open year-round, Poogan’s Porch serves dinner seven days a week, & brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Both indoor & outdoor seating is offered, & a variety of rooms are available for special events throughout the year. Reservations are recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Poogan's Porch Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Poogan's Porch Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
471 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (268)neighborhood gem (260)special occasion (231)romantic (200)great for outdoor dining (124)good for groups (99)notable wine list (73)great for lunch (66)great for brunch (60)hot spot (51)kid-friendly (30)scenic view (21)late-night find (18)vibrant bar scene (14)Show More
- Return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/26/2014First time back since the 1980's. The food and service were just as I remembered-- outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWSOME EXPERIENCE!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014I chose Poogans porch as our dinner choice for our 25th wedding Anniversary and everything was great; the food, the service, and the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good reviews are warrantedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014The feeling of being in a home versus a restaurant is a nice change from most places. The staff was very friendly and our waiter was great. Some great menu choices and the food was quite tasty. All in all highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as we HopedChrisCDined on 11/22/2014My wife and I had heard so many good things about this restaurant that we had grown skeptical of its ability to deliver. Not to worry! We loved everything we tasted, from the mac and cheese appetizer to the peanut butter pie. The menu was varied enough that we agonized over making the right choice. The presentation and the service were very good. By the time we left, we were planning our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious and service exceptional.ThanksDined on 11/22/2014Because we were celebrating a friends nuptials, they gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne. It was a perfect way to set the mood for the rest of our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We had a great meal here. The server was very friendly and knowledgeable. The food was excellent. Dessert--bread pudding--was especially good. Dining room was small but didn't feel overcrowded. It was very convenient to our B&B. Definitely a place to go for a great evening meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceRobinDined on 11/21/2014Really enjoyed our evening here. Very nice restaurant with exceptional food. Wait staff was attentive and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!Zeke0317Dined on 11/20/2014Went there on our last night in Charleston and was very happy we did. Food was excellent, service was great! Overall my wife and I had a nice relaxing dinner. Highly recommended by a fellow Chef in the industry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weeknight Dining at Poogan'sKeithDined on 11/20/2014The reservation was easy and location perfect. I often take guests that come from out of town to Poogan's because you can always trust the food, staff, and level of comfort. Food on Thursday was just wonderful. On this visit I missed seeing some of my old favorite items on the menu like Charleston Chicken. Perhaps it will appear in January during roll back week. Keep doing what you do. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2014Great food for a reasonable price! We will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poogan's Porch - A Charleston CharmMurf20Dined on 11/19/2014I have now eaten at Poogan's Porch twice --- Once with family and once with a group of five business associates. On both visits everyone raved about the food with descriptors such as the best XXXX I've ever had. Poogan's surely has a very talented and creative culinary team! The ambience and decor exemplifies true Charleston Charm and character. A must visit place for a great dining experience if you are in Charleston, and you must read the history of Poogan and check out the walls to see all of the celebrities and notables who have dined there. Awesome restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointing....acceptable, but no more.jamesDined on 11/19/2014The food was alright. The service was alright. Didn't feel 'inspired' or pampered. Seems like the food was maybe even overcooked or dried out. ?? After having eaten at many other restaurants in town, left feeling a bit disappointed.
- Great!shargilloDined on 11/19/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere! We loved this restaurant. If you have to pick one place to go for dinner- choose this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InformationJimtourist1and2Dined on 11/17/2014I ordered an iron skillet pork chop. IT CAME Breaded. Maybe it was a localism and I just didn't know but a heads up from the staff would have been appreciated as I am not a fan of breaded meat. Beer selection was limited. I am not sure if it was the lighting or just the color scheme but the area we were in, off the bar was drab. However, my wife had a very good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodAlecDined on 11/16/2014Poogan's Porch is a wonderful restaurant in an old house- there is seating in the front or back, both with nice ambiance. The food is wonderful and service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Les48Dined on 11/16/20148 of us mostly particular seniors with some college students had a marvelous time thanks to attentive staff, quiet that allowed easy conversation without having to listen to other diners, and of course the delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food! Best restaurant in Charleston!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/15/2014I consider myself somewhat of a foodie. Dining at Poogan's blew me out of the water. The appetizers and entrees were amazing. I got the fried alligator salad and beef with blue cheese gnocchi. My friend who does not like blue cheese thought the gnocchi was amazing. The blue cheese was very subtle and the gnocchi was cooked perfectly. My friend also got the crab soup and fish for dinner with a grit cake and pulled pork. This also was amazing. We dined at Husk and thought Poogan's was hands down the better restaurant. You must go if in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, food and great experienceRen416Dined on 11/15/2014Had a wonderful anniversary/birthday dinner experience. Were greeted promptly, and even given complimentary champagne for our anniversary. The waiter (Nick) provided excellent service and didn't bother us too much. Food and wine was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014During the three nights in Charleston, we ate at several top notch restaurants. My favorite was Poogan's Porch. I ordered the scallops with pimento cheese ravioli, and this dish was awesome! My husband thoroughly enjoyed the fried chicken, too. There was something so special about the warm, casual atmosphere. Service was great, too. When I go back to Charleston, Poogan's Porch will be first on my list of places to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere and excellent service.YringerDined on 11/13/2014We were a party of four....one vegetarian and three meat eaters. We all ordered something different and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. The chef's preparation of the vegetarian dish was excellent. We especially enjoyed the Fried Green Tomato appetizer. It was a very lovely evening overall with very good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to a GemWandaDined on 11/13/2014We'd been here before, 2 years ago, and had such strong fond memories of it that we chose to return to Poogan's Porch on our only free evening, and it did not disappoint! The service was terrific, from the warm welcome at the front door, to our server Rosa, and all those who interacted with us, however briefly. The fried green tomatoes were tasty, not greasy, served with luscious pecan-encrusted goat cheese and arugula. The entrees were also very good: perfectly cooked sea scallops atop pimento cheese-stuffed ravioli, and my friend had the catfish served over red risotto. Dessert was a must, and was delightful! The only detractor was the g! cold air conditioning was on full-blast even though it was only about 10C outside! We'll return again I'm sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want to returnLadyTDined on 11/13/2014Excellent food - party of three. Two had the fried chicken, the mashed potatoes melted in your mouth. The third had the pork chop which was also excellent. Unfortunately we were too full for desert but those that were brought to our neighbors looked mouthwatering. Their comments showed they tasted as good as they looked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableVeteranDined on 11/13/2014Excellent food and service. Food was brought out in a timely fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poogan's PorchcountrygirlDined on 11/9/2014The service was excellent....the food was really good....the peanut butter pie is to get in the floor and die for.....very light and totally wonderful....save room for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Charleston ExperienceDinerDanDined on 11/8/2014Fried chicken, collards, and mac & cheese. How could you go wrong with Lowcountry favorites? Always a must when in Charleston. You can feel the history in the old home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timer.SarahSmileVIPDined on 11/8/2014Overall everything was pretty great. Ambiance, food and service. Our waitress was attentive and kind :) However, the only complaint I have is the fact that the hostess sat my family and I near the "working station" when I clearly saw other great available tables. But I thought maybe perhaps they were reserved, so I didn't say anything... And it didn't bother me so much, UNTIL the servers/hostess we're began using the door right next/behind my chair to go in and out to the porch dining area. The door slamming was very bothersome. I will have to specially request not to sit my party there next time. Oh yes, there will definitely be a next time. The food was absolutely amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014We found Poogan's Porch on Trip Advisor, and are so glad we did! The location was convenient and the building is charming. The food was absolutely delicious and we will be returning!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Poogan's Porch is an old house and the atmosphere is casual but there is nothing casual about the food. Every bite was perfect. The sommelier's recommendation was an excellent pairing with our meal.Special Features:
- AlisonVT1Dined on 11/6/2014I brought 3 clients here for dinner, and we had a great time. Food was delicious, specialty cocktails did not disappoint either. Our waiter was personable and fun to talk with, ambience of the historic home wonderful. The room we were in was lively with a nice hum of conversation and happy customers. We enjoyed appetizers of fried green tomatoes and cheese fritters, and our waiter satisfied our curiosity and brought us a sample of the bacon chocolate ice cream for dessert. Strangely delicious! All the entrees were too, no one was disappointed. You won't be either.Special Features:
- Great restaurantHappyDined on 11/6/2014Poogans Porch is a super restaurant. Very old building. Some of the staff members have been there for over 20 years. Good menu with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/6/2014A definite "must go to" when in Charleston, visited for both dinner and brunch; outstanding traditional and seasonal southern, low country fare, several unique cocktails and friendly just right service. A great brunch spot, plan ahead.Special Features:
- Wonderful service and mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2014The food was prepared exquisitely and the presentation was lovely. Definitely will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but...JBjrDined on 11/3/2014We have eaten here several times over the years. As usual we made a reservation. We went into the bar as our table was not ready. The bar was totally jamed because the tables were full and they were serving people dinner at the bar tables. This obviously restricts people's access to the bar. They need a bigger bar or stop serving people there. The food and service were excellant as always. You will not get a bad meal there.Special Features:
- A Must On Your Dining ListsouthernsoulDined on 11/3/2014Dining at Poogan's Porch is always on our Charleston list of musts....we have been dining there on every trip to Charleston for the last 30 years. The pasta with lump crab and shrimp was outstanding with a slightly sweet, fresh flavor and the she crab soup just the perfect blend. It is an intimate and charming experience with great service and wonderful Lowcountry food. It never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Predictably great food and service.SeaFeastDined on 11/2/2014Third visit and as expected the service and food was exceptional. Suggest adding more appetizers and/or small plates for those with smaller appetites. Great house wine selections for those that like reds dinning with others that like whites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pooga's porchtheboysDined on 11/1/2014second time there and food was great again. In charleston for my son's wedding and wanted to take the family who had never been. so 11 of us ate there. Very accommodating even with the 2 extra i asked for on the day we were coming. Food excellent, Waitstaff took very good care of usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneDined on 10/31/2014We returned to this restaurant after first visiting on our honeymoon 32 years ago. What a treat to find everything as wonderful now as it was then. The ambiance, the food, the service was excellent. We'll be back sooner than 32 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2014Setting was just what I was hoping for when I decided to have my wifes Birthday dinner here. Both the shrimp and crab with Linquini and the duck were both delicious dinners. The service was prompt, courteus and friendly. Top it off with a mouth wateing desert. A perfect night!!Special Features:
- Elllen from WIfood4soulDined on 10/30/2014The food was fabulous and our waitress was personable and made great suggestions for items to try. It is nestled in one of the old homes of Charleston and was very charming. We had the shrimp and grits and catfish and both were outstanding in flavor and perfect examples of southern cooking at its best. For a starter, try the fried green tomatoes and the beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old house atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014An old southern home now a resturant with low country menu. Great in the winter by a fire or warm weather outside on the upper or lower porch. One of our favorite places in Carleston.Special Features: