Plow & Anchor
43 East 9th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Plow & Anchor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.plowandanchor.com/
- Phone: (317) 964-0538
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:15pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:15pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Adams
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Plow & Anchor
Welcome to Plow & Anchor! We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Plow & Anchor - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Plow & Anchor reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (162)neighborhood gem (97)hot spot (76)special occasion (62)notable wine list (41)great for lunch (29)romantic (28)good for groups (20)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Glad We Found This Place!DGSETTDined on 11/15/2014Wonderful menu which we learned changes daily. Great presentation. The starter selections are a must! The noise level is challenging for a group. We entertained out of town business associates, and they were very impressed! We will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJha215VIPDined on 11/15/2014We were a party of six and everything we ordered was well liked. Of the appetizers, we liked the oysters, root veggies, and crudo. Of the entrees, the flounder, trout, spaghetti squash and gnocchi were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent flavorsBearDined on 11/14/2014While it is a bit difficult to find something that is healthy on the menu, the choices we made were outstanding. The roasted root vegetables with tahini sauce were amazingly flavorful, as was the spaghetti squash with tofu and curry. We took our 12 year old daughter and she loved the food - plus the beignet dessert - as much as we did. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been on our list, moving on to nextPumpakattDined on 11/8/2014We had 6 people in our party, the noise level was so high we couldn't have a group conversation. I think overall it was too expensive, $27 for a pork chop.... We were not impressed with the wines our server suggested, they just didn't pare well with the food. The bar area was cute and intimate, however it took the server about 15 min to open 12 oysters. We all liked our appetizers, very tasty and good seizes.
- Creative food choicessanddcDined on 11/7/2014Menu changes often based upon what is fresh and available locally. This is the loudest restaurant that I have ever eaten in, we were a table of six (3 per side) and it was virtually impossible to converse diagonally across the table or hear the waiter standing at the other end of the table so he had to speak to one side of the table and then repeat it at the other end. However, the service was outstanding. 2 had west and east coast oysters-fresh and excellent, 1 had squash blossoms-great, 1 had green salad and 2 had bone marrow and octopus toasts the octopus was beautiful but both agreed that the bone marrow was decidedly missing. For mains the scallop benedict, ricotta gnocchi and grilled quail all get high praise for taste and plating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would eat here again.msfoodyDined on 11/7/2014I thought the food was good not great. Really enjoyed the squash blossoms. A little loud for me.Special Features:
- maturefoodieDined on 11/7/2014Creative menu which was flawlessly executed. Nice but reasonable wine list. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and attentive but not "hovering."Special Features:
- Usually loveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014We have gone to Plow and Anchor about five times and usually love it. We were rather disappointed this time. My husband had been beyond excited for his burger and was rather shocked to have it brought out on some dry toast instead of the tasty bun it is usually served on. Our salad was also rather bland and did not live up to Plow and Anchors usual standard. Let's just say when the bill came it was a lot to swallow for a mediocre meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014The portions are very small and frankly over priced. Small pork chop $25 Garden salad $8 is so small
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014I was worried by a negative review reguarding noise, but my worries were unfounded. A full restraunt might be noisey, but I had no problems communicating with the people around me. The food was amazing. The wait staff were knowlegeble of menu and very friendly. This is a great restruant for a special occaison or if you just want really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Customer ServiceArtsyVIPDined on 10/31/2014I asked for a dish that had hollandaise sauce and asked that it be placed on the side. Our waitress came back and said the chef refused to serve it without the hollandaise. I was shocked. Whatever happened to honoring the wishes of the customer. When the waitress served me hot tea, she did not provide a saucer, a spoon or any sugar. I had to ask for all three. While the food was very good, I would not return to the restaurant.
- Food was AmazingMadlut25Dined on 10/28/2014What a hidden gem! The food was amazing! Sometimes when you go to foodie places, the serving size can be dissapointing. Not here! What a great place to sit, chat with friends, and enjoy some amazing food!Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!!!XtremlympressedDined on 10/25/2014This was honestly one of the most,if not the most enjoyable dining experience of my life. The pork chop was to die for!!! Everything was amazing!!!! Service, Food, Ambiance!!!! will def go back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plow & AnchorCGregoryDined on 10/24/2014An absolute gem in the heart of the city. Intimate space in a wonderful, old building. The service is outstanding. The food preparation equals the great service. A top spot in an ever-growing list of great restaurants. This is one you'll recommend to friends, and one you will return to time and again. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Noisy when crowdedfoodieseekerDined on 10/22/2014The cement floors and solid ceilings make a very noisy atmosphere to talk in and enjoy one another's company when the place is full. We were celebrating a birthday and when the dessert came there were no candles. We inquired and the restaurant said they don't do that but 'comped' one dessert, which we were not expecting. Otherwise, good service and food, but nothing other than beer and wine. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerHungryDined on 10/21/2014Had a good dinner with excellent service and timely but not hurried. Appetizer was A+. The trout was a B--delicious but slightly bland and not memorable. Need to add a Moscoto to the glass wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinghoosierhopheadDined on 10/18/2014Would absolutely recommend this to anyone looking for a great night out. The atmosphere is excellent, you can have a normal volume conversation with your friends or family without feeling like you have to yell. The food was superb. All four dishes my party had were top notch. Wine and beer selection were very good. Not too large, which can be intimidating but diverse and very nice. Great craft brews. The raw bar selection was large and diverse and our server was knowledgeable and very friendly. The price was on the higher end but that is not a complaint at all, it was well worth what we paid. Turning into one of our favorite places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ears ache!OuchDined on 10/17/2014After trying to hear our friend sitting right next to me catch us up on her exciting life, my ears hurt from the strain. My husband, sitting across from her, was only able to hear about half of what she was saying. Plow and Anchor is so loud, due to absolutely no sound-absorbing surfaces in the place, that this will have to be our last attempt. Pleasant dinner conversations in this particular environment turn into shouting matches across small tables. All it took was for a table of 4 women to have a few drinks and get a little giddy to elevate the entire scene to a cacophonous roar. This setting is meant only for couples who don't have anything to say to each other but enjoy great food.
- Local TreasureJoyceDined on 10/17/2014The food and presentation was wonderful. The service was spot on! We will definitely return.Special Features:
- A Hit AgainPlatinumjstrainDined on 10/17/2014I treated two colleagues to Plow & Anchor before we all went to a client's retirement party. I ordered the mussels and they were better than I even expected (and I expect a lot from John Adams, the young chef there). They were plump, juicy and bountiful, in a miso sauce (I think - could have been some other nage), with corn and lima beans and greens. My table mates each had a sandwich and raved about their offerings. We had excellent service from Alex, one of my favorites there. In short, it was another reminder of what a good place this is to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timehornplayer54Dined on 10/4/2014Our server Andrew was great. Pleasant. Helpful. Timely. The food was really incredible - interesting things we hadn't had before. The local root salad was tremendous, and I had the duck liver stew - WOW. Just fantastic. My wife had the gnocchi and loved it. We'll go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AddendumVIPDined on 10/4/2014Staff was excellent, but that's we're my raving will end. The decor is maybe a half notch above IKEA and utterly lacking in any sense of warmth or coziness. To access the restrooms you almost have to enter the kitchen; and when I am shelling out $30 per entree I kind of expect more than a generic Cintas automatic soap dispenser just like the one at my local Speedway gas station has. The octopus Benedict was very nice as we're the crispy peppers with ricotta. The pork entree was horrible. It is described as a "chop" on the menu when in reality it was a sliced undercooked, very fatty, maybe pork loin - extremely disappointing. Maple benets with a Nutella ice cream for desert, almost made me forget out the disastrous pork, almost.
- Nice local placeIndyDined on 10/3/2014Indy needs more places like this. Non chain, exciting menu and great ambiance. A little loud and a tad overpriced. Price takes it from a visit every few weeks to a visit every few months. Also could use changing out the benches along the wall as seats. Very front heavy, every person who sat down tipped it forward and almost sent us all to the ground.Special Features:
- Great New Indy SpotIndyEaterDined on 10/3/2014This was my second time at Plow and Anchor, and I was not disappointed. The food was excellent with very seasonal offerings and the service was fabulous. I really appreciate restaurants that emphasize having the waitstaff truly know the menu, and this has to be more challenging at a restaurant where the menu constantly changes. My only small issue is the noise level. The restaurant was packed and it was rather hard to hear the conversation across the table. The food and service definitely made up for this flaw though, and I will definitely be returning in the near future.Special Features:
- Our thougts on Plow and AnchorAmbassadorDined on 10/1/2014We were so excited to visit a new downtown restaurant Wed. nitght. However, it took 10 minutes for a server to come over. And they were not busy. Front desk staff saw us waiting. Another server walked thru room and did not even look at us. Sat there with empty water glasses until she arrived. Ordered spring rolls. There were 4. Only one had a tiny piece (not a bite) of tuna. My mussels were excellent. Friends salmon was excellent. My husband's ordered oysters that were great and lamb shank was excellent but $38.00 for one shank. Really. No green salad to chose from on menu. Server never asked us how the food was. It got quite busy and very loud. Liked the atmosphere overall. Probably will not go back, too loud and too pricy.Special Features:
- Food was exquisiteMikeinMidtownDined on 9/27/2014The food lived up to the hype. Enjoyed every bite. Yellowfin Spring Roles, Gnocchi and Surf and Turf were marvelous. Price for portion was a nice balance. No overloaded plates, comfortable portions were a breath of fresh air. The noise level mentioned by others was a real and disrupting problem. Conversation was difficult and nearly impossible to maintain. We like to enoy our food and conversation, but in this case we ate, enjoyed and were out in less than an hour despite having three courses and coffee. We will definatley go back, but sure wish they could do something to reduce the noise level. Maybe go in the non peak hours before 6 pm and after 9 p.mSpecial Features:
- TonyJDined on 9/27/2014Place looks great, nice ambiance, and excellent service. Portion a bit on the small side. Food quality and wow factor is a hit and miss.Special Features:
- Very good overallfoodieseekerDined on 9/26/2014We expected Plow to be good as we have enjoyed Bluebeard's but it topped our expectations. We returned for lunch several days later and it was just as good. Sometimes it takes a while for each course- maybe because all is made from scratch. The combinations of seasonal items are tasty and original.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as our first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014Our first dinner was exceptional good. We went there because the Gnocchi were so wonderful and we told our Guest all about. We were disappointed that the restaurant was "out of Gnocchi" this evening. Duh? I opted for the Duck Confit Crepe..which was VERY salty and de-constructed. It reminded me more of Tacos than a Crepe...all other items we had were as good as we expected them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousFoodyWithaToddlerVIPDined on 9/23/2014We had dinner with my in-laws to celebrate a birthday and the food was marvelous. Wonderful wine list. We had our 23 month old with us and they were very accommodating and made a smaller portion size of the salmon dish for him - which he loved. My in-laws plan to go back next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting RestaurantG2ODF2ODVIPDined on 9/23/2014Lunch here was very nice; eclectic menu and interesting decor. Location is off the beaten track but will probably gain following for the food and ambience.Special Features:
- Good but noisyJenbethangelVIPDined on 9/20/2014Creative food, wonderful service, but very noisy. Neat location but uncomfortable seating and grungy-looking floors. Hope they will spiff it up if things go well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingmom2colbycateDined on 9/20/2014Best meal I've had in a long time. I had the Chef tasting menu paired with wines. It was a 3 course crab tasting. From salad to surf and turf it was delicious. I splurged and had dessert and equally delicious. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- DON'T RECOMMENDDisappointedDined on 9/20/2014Though seemingly casually elegant when walking in, then to our table, there were no tablecloths or seat cushions. The chairs were an uncomfortable plain metal. The wine glasses were very nice and drink prices were comparable to downtown. Menu prices were high, especially for the small quantity on the plates. My salmon came out MW and I had to send it back. I was brought a second entrée, cooked MR. The atmosphere was LOUD...I could honestly NOT hear most of our conversation at the table. Likewise, walking by an open kitchen with visual work station, food out, and jackets and purses (private belongings) on the way to the restroom is TOO open. Perhaps set up a large screen or drape. We will not be back, our bill was about $130 for two!Special Features:
- Outstanding new restaurantWillMEDined on 9/19/2014Truly excellent food, innovate without being over the top, and meticulously prepared. Portions are neither miniscule nor overwhelming. Salmon tartare was well-flavored with Asian accents, and the pheasant was the best I have ever had. Innovative desserts which are not cloyingly sweet. The wine list is of moderate length but has interesting options, mostly at or below $40. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- FloraDined on 9/19/2014Good food, atmosphere , good server but too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dr. Presson's ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014It was good. The location and atmosphere were both good. The food was upscale and tasty although somewhat limited in scope. The price was also reasonable. Overall, it is a better choice than other restaurants on campus that I have been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!!!MKdinerDined on 9/13/2014Everything was so delicious and the service was outstanding!!!! What a great evening!Special Features:
- Excellent but noisybadger1945Dined on 9/13/2014We have been to the P & W twice and on both occasions the food has been excellent. It is great restaurant but has hard floors and no ceiling insulation so is very noisy at peak periods. The service last time was not very good but the restaurant was packed so we have to make allowances for that. We will certainly keep going - but may go outside peak hours.Special Features:
- Friendly staffAmandaDined on 9/13/2014Great food and friendly staff. A little disappointed to hear that the chef will not make ANY changes/ substitutions to the menu nor will he alter the temperature at which your protein is prepared. For example, I wanted my filet medium-well and they only serve it medium-rare. Friend dining with us didn't want cauliflower and asked for it to be left off the plate and they couldn't do that either. Def. fit for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.