Plow & Anchor
43 East 9th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Plow & Anchor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.plowandanchor.com/
- Phone: 3179640538x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:15pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:15pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Adams
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Plow & Anchor
Welcome to Plow & Anchor! We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Plow & Anchor - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Plow & Anchor reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (155)neighborhood gem (99)special occasion (69)hot spot (63)notable wine list (49)romantic (32)great for lunch (28)good for groups (22)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- FABULOUS!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Everything was so delicious and the service was outstanding!!!! What a great evening!Special Features:
- Excellent but noisybadger1945Dined on 9/13/2014We have been to the P & W twice and on both occasions the food has been excellent. It is great restaurant but has hard floors and no ceiling insulation so is very noisy at peak periods. The service last time was not very good but the restaurant was packed so we have to make allowances for that. We will certainly keep going - but may go outside peak hours.Special Features:
- Friendly staffAmandaDined on 9/13/2014Great food and friendly staff. A little disappointed to hear that the chef will not make ANY changes/ substitutions to the menu nor will he alter the temperature at which your protein is prepared. For example, I wanted my filet medium-well and they only serve it medium-rare. Friend dining with us didn't want cauliflower and asked for it to be left off the plate and they couldn't do that either. Def. fit for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014We returned for dinner after doing lunch during its soft opening. The food was, again, very good. The restaurant's "space" continues to disappoint. The entire restaurant suffers from excessive smoke from the kitchen. It is also very, very loud. Its beer and wine only too, which is a head-scratcher. Its as if P&A can't figure out what it wants to be. Its too smokey and loud to be upscale, but too white table cloth and lacking a bar and neighborhood to be hip. I do appreciate that they take reservations (quoted wait times are killing Bluebeard), and we want to like the place. Unfortunately, we won't be back unless tweaks are made. Black Market, RBistro, Bluebeard and a handful of others offer a better evening downtown.
- artsmartartsmartDined on 9/12/2014Way too noisy. Impossible to have a conversation. May not be all due to old building as my last dinner was populated by 3 groups of 6 or more that all wanted to talk (in high, shrill voices) at the same time. Hear me, I'm not listening to you. My wife and I later discussed the evening and in particular, the noise level. We have been to high end restaurants in high end cities and it seems the clientele is kinder and much quieter than what we often find in Indy at a new "hot" spot. Hmmmm Great menu and the food was well prepared.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2014The food was over seasoned and over priced. The dining room was so loud and smoky from the kitchen that I felt ill after our meal. They only serve beer and wine and I missed having a cocktail. Service was friendly, professional and well paced.
- Soooooo goooood!PescyTessDined on 9/11/2014Plow and Anchor was amazing. The food was phenomenal and the space is beautiful, if not a bit loud. My husband has recently chosen to only eat humanely raised meat, and this is not only what brought us to P&A, but also my favorite thing about this restaurant. They are very transparent and have a list of all of their vendors. I have been able to research the farms to ensure the meat is coming from a farm that is operating humanely. My salmon dish was out of this world and my husband said this was the best fillet mignon he had ever eaten. I would definitely recommend P&A.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Food was good not great and service was slow but competent, noise level was high which made it difficult for a business lunch meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but noisyindydinerDined on 9/10/2014We loved the interesting menu and were extremely happy with our salads, entrees and dessert. However, the noise level made it difficult to talk even though there were just 3 of us. The prices seemed in line with the quality and size of the dishes. I would not recommend it for a group larger than 4 and suggest dining before 7 or after 8:00. I would have rated the noise level "distracting" as "energetic" does not describe it properly and is why I rated the ambiance "fair." The service was very good in most ways though we had to wait quite awhile for our main dish and our check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!MTZvilleDined on 9/10/2014It is a little different for the Indy scene...with the kitchen/prepping station right when you walk in front door.... but the ambiance, menu, food were all great for lunch. We split the tomato salad, I had fish tacos and my friend the tomato tartine...we both thought our meals excellent. The seating is so it may get noisy with a full house...but will look forward to trying dinner menu in the near future.Special Features:
- Great New Place!eat1VIPDined on 9/5/2014Creative and excellent menu items. Great service. Everything was wonderful. A little loud.Special Features:
- Great first experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014The sea food was outstanding! We had the trout and the scallops both were excellent Taylor our server did a wonderful job and overall this was a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food as well as service!!MattDined on 8/30/2014This place has a great look as well as service. The good was very good. Try the tomato salad, yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kl1953Dined on 8/30/2014The food and service was excellent. The place itself is way too noisy. They need to work on that. I know this is out of their control but we were seated by the window and a homeless man stared at us while we were eating making us very uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday, 8/30.UnpleasantexperienceDined on 8/30/2014Wait staff was pleasant. Food was not paced appropriately. Our entree came out VERY fast after we received our starter and before we were finished. The expediter made no attempt to apologize and/or inquire if it had arrived too soon. We requested that the food be taken back. It came back and was delivered lukewarm. The noise level in the restaurant made it impossible to converse with my dinner companion across the table. We both left with a scratchy throat from yelling at one another even while leaning in across the table. It was not pleasant.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceIndyFoodie4Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is sure to become one of Indy's best places to dine. The menu was adventurous, featuring fresh and local menu items. Plow and Anchor is definitely a great find for foodies. Everything we ordered was quite good, and we had many dishes we had not been able to order anywhere else. Our service was also fantastic, and the atmosphere was great. The restaurant was a little loud when the restaurant was fuller, around 7:00 or 7:30 pm. For a quieter evening, try earlier or later times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it, except for one thing...JaneDined on 8/29/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner: fantastic food, wonderful service...really a great date night experience. However, there were paper napkins on the table! At $240. 00 with tip, dinners should really have cloth napkins!Special Features:
- Surprisingly wonderful find!Law2DiveNDineVIPDined on 8/29/2014In town for work on Friday, my wife and I stopped here for dinner. A surprisingly wonderful choice for delectable high-end food beautifully composed yet unpretentious...a total success from the delightful start of scallop ceviche...to carrots and beets...jamon de Serrano con melon...octopus tartine...pork cheeks with gnocchi...accompanied by excellent pairings from an easily approachable wine list...leading to a scrumptious, nostalgic finish of beignets, caramelized bananas, Nutella and crushed peanuts....a most satisfying meal that consistently tantalized the eyes and taste buds alike. No missteps, and very reasonably priced for the quality. Kudos to the chef and our most excellent server, Ben. If we lived here, we would be regulars.Special Features:
- loudIndyDined on 8/28/2014Good food, but poor accoustics. Very difficult to have a conversation. Definitely not a place to go with friends to talk over dinner.Special Features:
- WonderfuljanfamVIPDined on 8/28/2014Delicious an interesting food combinations. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and we were not disappointed in the courses. The noise level is quite high, which could be considered energetic but may be distracting for some. We thoroughly enjoyed it will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, loud, great foodMikeDined on 8/28/2014We visited this restaurant, 8/28/2014.Our party arrived 35 minutes early for a 7:30 reservation and they said we couldn't be seated until the time of the reservation. However, we weren't seated until about 7:45 PM. It took 30" for the waiter to take our order. 10" more until the salads and appetizers arrived (Salmon Tartare, was inspired). 15" later, the food came and was absolutely delicious: 2 had lake trout and 1 the short ribs. After, I flagged the waiter got him to bring me a coffee.Desert came in another 10", also delicious. No coffee refill was offered. The place is LOUD; conversation difficult.Had to ask another server to get our check.One of us had to walk up front to get it delivered. after 10 more minutes. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Amazing As Usualjmurphys7Dined on 8/28/2014The Salmon Tartar is out of this world! Braised short fibs were pretty terrific too. My only gripe, if you can call it that, is that I wish there was more potato purée with the short ribs. Outstanding meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great but way too noisy!JazzLadyVIPDined on 8/27/2014I had heard good things about this restaurant and was looking forward to going with a group of friends, all of whom are 40+. While the food was truly delicious, we really struggled to hear even the person each of us was seated next to. I'm not exaggerating when I say the the noise level was even painful at times. Plow and Anchor. Please add something in your decor to absorb sound! I won't be back until you do!Special Features:
- Wow.DebCVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food was TO DIE FOR. So original! Portions were reasonable, meaning not huge, which is the way it should be. I will DEFINITELY be back.Special Features:
- Phenomenal!Jenn710Dined on 8/23/2014I have been following this restaurant on Facebook for MONTHS and have read countless articles and reviews speaking very highly of Plow and Anchor, but it wasn't until this Saturday that I got to go for myself! It did not disappoint! Everything we had was delicious- it's a must for someone in your group to order the Plancha burger. I had a few bites of my husband's (as I had the amazing gnocchi) and the burger blew me away! Atmosphere is industrial, comfy, and contemporary. Service was great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Predictably pleasantjustgoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014went for devour weekend. menu offered fun, diverse choices. corn bisque was clunky and salmon tartar was underseasoned and served with potato chips out of a bag (what?!) braised short ribs were amazing, walleye was tasty desserts were fine overall atmosphere was simple yet classy. I wouldn't pay more than the set price for the devour meal to eat there again.Special Features:
- So glad it was on the Devour MenuFoodielifeDined on 8/22/2014I would've had no idea Plow & Anchor existed if it weren't for devour. I am so glad I found about this place. Everything I ordered and sampled from friends' plates was amazing! Great quality food handled with care. I cannot wait to go back! This is definitely a new favorite!Special Features:
- PerfectNickiBDined on 8/22/2014We spent almost three hours here on Friday night, savoring loads of small plates and sipping from some great wine selections. Our server, Ali, was fantastic...genuine, knowledgeable, and considerate. The atmosphere manages to be both lively and relaxed. Each dish we had was excellent and so distinct from the next. I'm already looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cannoDined on 8/22/2014We where very happy with our dinner choice. I especially loved the Octopus and the fish Tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good!PatrickIndyDined on 8/21/2014Our new favorite place! Interesting menu; try the duck breast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014We happened upon a reservation at Plow and Anchor last Tuesday for our anniversary, not realizing that Devour Downtown was taking place. We obviously lucked out--the place was packed, and people were waiting. Our food was outstanding. We ordered the salmon ceviche appetizer (yum!), the duck entree, and the zuezela (sp?). Every bite was delicious. With gluten intolerance, food with sauces is often off-limits. However, the zuezela, which was a curry kind of seafood stew, was made gluten-free for me, and I'm so grateful. Our server was attentive, accommodating, and friendly with a lovely touch of humor. I highly recommend Plow and Anchor.Special Features:
- fabulous but VERY noisykathyDined on 8/19/2014This was 3 or 4th time @ restaurant. I have yet to be disappointed, however, noise level more than "energetic". Difficult to talk even at lunch. Hope they will be able to rectify that very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal plan?FoodieintrainingDined on 8/16/2014Inventive, and eatable fare. Simple dishes, reasonable portion size, informative staff, beautiful presentation. Beer selection is extraordinary . My wish list for me: Would like it to be a little less noisy, wish they had martinis, espresso machine would be good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool Space - Fine DiningMike57Dined on 8/16/2014For over 3 years we've been enjoying Derek Means and Craig Baker concept The Local so we tried the new place downtown. Great space on 9th St. I heard it was noisy but it is calm compared to the Local and adds to the ambiance of the urban setting. Parking was easy, lots of meters, no Mass Ave scramble. Chef Adams does not disappoint delivering quality to the experience. We had a starter of oysters and and melons with Serrano ham along with a seared scallop roasted salmon mains. These were impeccably presented and prefect. Both the scallops and salmon were hot and juicy. Wait staff was outstanding and highly professional. P&A joins Recess and Late Harvest Kitchen as some of the best fine dining in Indy and it is also priced that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014The food was nicely presented and fresh. The menu was innovative. Very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Food was delicious. Service outstanding. Full bar would be great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hold the saltTheLoneDinerDined on 8/14/2014Menu reads wonderfully but EVERYTHING 2 starters a salad and both entres were inedibly over salted. We dined on a Thur. eve. And w/ the restaurant only 1/2 full, it was so noisy we couldn't hear each other or the waitstaff. Food looked lovely but there were NO nuances of flavor, just s a l t!
- Great FoodFoodSnob13Dined on 8/14/2014The salmon tartar is amazing. My new favorite. had a delicious duck breast on first visit which was perfect. Staff is very helpful and attentive.Special Features:
- WinemanVIPDined on 8/14/2014Still too loud to comfortably have a conversation.Special Features:
- a new option in the downtown area.worldfoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014I met a business associate who likes to try new places for lunch here. Lunch was very good. it is quite noisy and my friend who wears a hearing aid found it difficult to hear.Special Features: