401 Foster Street B-2
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
Contemporary SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piedmontrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (919) 683-1213x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30AM - 2:00PM
Monday-Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM
Sunday: 5:30PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ben Adams
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We are happy to help you plan your private party events. Please contact the restaurant to discuss our private party options further.
Currently, our mezzanine level accommodates 40 guests or less. For events with more than 40 guests, a buyout of the entire restaurant is required.
Each private dining event has a custom menu from our Executive Chef. Therefore, pricing varies based off of the menu and selections. Please contact the restaurant to discuss your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Crawford Leavoy (919) 683-1213x
- Special Events: http://piedmontrestaurant.com/events/
A word from Piedmont Restaurant
Contemporary Southern cuisine with emphasis on using local, organic and sustainable products from North Carolina farmers, ranchers and fishermen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Piedmont Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Piedmont Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (159)special occasion (86)notable wine list (80)neighborhood gem (73)good for groups (42)romantic (35)hot spot (33)great for brunch (26)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Fabulous birthday meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/20/2014We went to Piedmont on Monday for a birthday dinner and had a wonderful experience. Our server (bald with beard), was friendly and funny. Professional, but not stuffy. The food was great (sweetbreads were the best I've had in Durham, sorry Mateo!) though the trout dip was a little bland. The som recommended a really unique and delicious wine. He read our table well and played up the strong female wine maker to us, which we ate up. Desserts in Durham fine dining are often lacking, but the sticky date cake and apple turnover were just as good as the other courses! I hadn't been here in awhile after a few bad experiences a year or two ago, but Piedmont is def back on my go to list of places! Thanks for making this birthday girl feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vibe!lunchproVIPDined on 10/18/2014This was my second time dining at Piedmont and it was another wonderful experience. Our server, Mary Beth, took excellent care of us. The wine list is full of varietals from all over the world. The section of rose was larger than any other wine list I've seen in the triangle. Very impressive. Also the pumpkin soup was something not to miss. I could have had an entire meal of that. The risotto and chicken dishes were also fantastic. Terrific meal. I will be back!Special Features:
- Good but not one of the greatsInthemoody4foodyDined on 10/18/2014The menu at Piedmont is nice, several interesting options for appetizer with unique flavor combinations and a few seasonally appropriate farm to table style entrees. I found the appetizers to have more diverse and interesting flavors than the entrees themselves. That being said all food was prepared with precision and well presented. The reason I rated the food as good and not very good or great is that compared to meals I have had a similarly priced restaurants I did not find the overall presentation, taste, and flavors to be a wow factor, but still very good. Service was fantastic and pleasant with well educated staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MackaroniDined on 10/17/2014Our group of 4 felt well taken of! The service is WONDERFUL!! My glass of water NEVER reached empty! The food was AMAZING!! I had chicken with goat cheese filling and it was just out of this world!!! I also had the 7 veggie salad - a big hit as well! Others at the table had the pork chop, which was also fantastic! We enjoyed sampling each other's entrees, and also shared a peanut butter pie that was to die for!!! We were finished in plenty of time to make our DPAC show. The wait staff was professional, friendly and very attentive. We liked sitting upstairs, as it was less noisy and more intimate. WE WILL BE BACK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Approved!!CowtownchickVIPDined on 10/16/2014Excellent food and service. Farm to table fresh, with creative dishes. Extensive and thoughtful wine list. This Texas girl will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLDurhamDined on 10/16/2014An amazing restaurant with a seasonally changing menu. I've eaten here a couple times and never had the same menu twice and never had anything I didn't like.Special Features:
- OrsonstillfatVIPDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant is emblematic of current dining trends--the good ones anyway. Minimalist spacious interior of a reclaimed industrial space is very well done and makes for a comfortable ambience with tables not too close. Superb cooking featuring local ingredients in adaptations of classics reinterpreted for today's tastes. Knowledgeable, helpful service from waits who know the menu and wine list and give great advice. This is a fine restaurant with a knock-out, mostly new world, wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!CLZZDined on 10/11/2014Our dinner at Piedmont was by far the best we've ever had in Durham, if not the Triangle. 6 couples and everyone loved their meals. Service was attentive, not rushed, very professional. But the food is what makes this place amazing! Try it!Special Features:
- Perfect place to dine before DPACGvilledinersDined on 10/11/2014We went before play at DPAC and had a glorious experience with impeccable service! We never felt rushed, our server was attentive, restaurant full of energy, and food and wine fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DorothyDined on 10/9/2014This is a lovely restaurant. My companion and I enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food!KrisDined on 10/5/2014This restaurant has a vibrant but cozy atmosphere with amazing food. It was just the right combination of classy and casual.Special Features:
- Pumpkin fit for CinderellaOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/5/2014What can I say, I went back Friday and Saturday night to experience the "Root Down Farm’s heirloom pumpkin soup, NC blue crab pepitas, truffle oil, fresh herbs" - delicious! The wine selection is indeed notable, especially when you consider they offer a diverse selection of both old and new world wines in a range of prices to fit any budget. But the best part of Piedmont is always the personable, professional and at tentative service focused on your experience.Special Features:
- lovely brunchbeabrowDined on 10/5/2014The brisket and grits was delicious, and it was nice to be back at the Piedmont after a couple of years away. I did think things were a bit pricey--the Bloody Mary was $12 (they are $6 at Vin Rouge and elsewhere), so I didn't order one. Coffee was good, staff very nice!Special Features:
- Fabulous mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Second visit as great as the first. Very friendly staff, but need a bit more polish for the price. Food and wine was perfect, fresh, interesting. Hope they can take the noise level down a bit with remediation.Special Features:
- Outstanding mealkeithtDined on 10/1/2014One of the best meals I have had locally in a while. Great service. All 3 courses were just outstanding. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SouthAsianFoodieDined on 9/30/2014Very compelling farm to table with new chefs and subtle foodie vegan friendly menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice serviceDemandingDined on 9/30/2014Service that is intelligent and attentive is so rare these days. Piedmont servers are always well informed, pleasant and polite without being overly familiar. Great wait staff. Food is terrific, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OCF2013Dined on 9/30/2014Nice environment. My pumpkin soup was tepid. Servers repeatedly asked if they could clear our table even though my friend and I were talking. Very annoying!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Very creative chef. Enjoyed the unusual combination of local ingredients. All 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed the drinks appetizers mains. Also appreciated the complementary birthday desserts! Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShelleyShelleyDined on 9/26/2014This was by far the best meal I have had in the triangle in a while. We were a group of four and ordered three different appetizers, entrees and desserts. They were all tremendous from start to finish. Our waiter was very attentive, knowledgable and friendly. I will definitely be back and will be bringing my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- budwomDined on 9/20/2014Still another fine restaurant in Durham! Very nice food and service, the seared tilefish was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but mighty menu!FoodieGirlDined on 9/19/2014The menu here is limited but everything on the menu is fresh and delicious. It is fun to go outside your comfort zone and try a new dish here. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful meal!VeggielovrDined on 9/18/2014Piedmont promotes itself as a farm-to-fork venue and it certainly lived up to the name - all menu items are identified clearly by the farm of origin in the area. Menu is seasonally fresh and delicious! I don't usually choose chicken in a restaurant but could not resist the description of the breasts stuffed with goat cheese - it did not disappoint! Very flavorful and surrounded by a nice blend of vegetable and puree. Service was attentive and friendly. The location is very convenient to local theatres in a very cool renovated warehouse that bears the typical marks - open ductwork, brick walls, and an airy 2nd floor that helps mitigate the noise from the high ceilings. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Anniversary DinnerMikeSDined on 9/16/2014Piedmont Restaurant was a new place for us to try, so when our anniversary rolled around, I made a reservation. I also ordered flowers to be delivered to the restaurant. When we arrived, a table was ready for us, and the flowers I had ordered made a great centerpiece! Mary Beth was our server, and she made great recommendations for wine, appetizers & entrees. She also brought us each a glass of (really good) champagne. Overall, a great experience in a new favorite restaurant for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8 person partyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We had an 8 person party and were promptly seated. Food is always local, fresh and unique and service was excellent. The server was able to answer questions about ingredients and was very patient and personable. Piedmont is my go to place for out of town business partners.Special Features:
- A foodie, I had great expectationsapastrychefsmomDined on 9/14/2014I am on the fence with this one. The food was good but not great for the prices but the wait staff was amazing and the atmosphere was awesome.Special Features:
- JohnnieDined on 9/12/2014A reservation was made on Open Table for 6:30 PM and confirmed back by email. However, upon arrival, we were told that our reservation was for 800 PM, and I had to be forceful to be seated, even though multiple tables were vacant. Something is wrong somewhere along the line of communication or within the restaurant to receive and properly interpret the information they receive. Once seated, everything else was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh wow!DurhamgirlDined on 9/11/2014The last time I went to this restaurant, 2 years ago, I sent my food back twice, and I'm not a foodie. This time, the restaurant had really changed. It "felt good", the speciality cocktails were wonderful and the bartender was very attentive. The noise level was perfect: we didn't have to shout to hear each other and it wasn't so quiet other tables could eavesdrop. My heirloom tomato salad was the best thing I've had this summer, and the tilefish was wonderful. The date dessert was to die for; our server was excellent at suggesting wines and very informative. I will definitely go back and will recommend The Piedmont to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional serviceKAmartiniVIPDined on 9/10/2014This is an old building that has been redone. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but is airy and casually decorated on the inside. The food was great as was the wine selection, helped by a knowledgeable sommelier. The best part was the first rate, rofessional service. We stayed and talked for quite a while and never felt rushed. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodAefriedmDined on 9/6/2014I got the duck and it was fantastic. The fish was great too!Special Features:
- A Must Eat in DurhamOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I did small plates - heirloom tomatoes, compressed watermelon, sweetbreads, sweet corn soup - followed by risotto with fall vegetables. Excellent! Who would have thought such a gem existed in Durham. Definitely must eat whenever we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience overall57noviceDined on 9/5/2014My wife & I had a great dinner here - only advice would be to skip the cheese tray in favor of the heirloom tomato or watermelon appetizers which were really delicious. Flounder was also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014Piedmont is one of our favorite restaurants. It is so convenient to Carolina Theater, where we often go to see movies. On this visit we started with Manhattans, which were delicious. We had smoked trout as an appetizer which I enjoyed more than my dinner companion. Dinner was sweetbreads for me and crispy duck for him. He liked his dish a lot and while mine was fine, I wasn't utterly smitten by it. The BIG plus of the evening was our waitress. She was upbeat, spot-on with service, and explained dishes on the menu in an intelligent, enthusiastic fashion. Really impressive!Special Features:
- Sensational!PnoPlarDined on 9/3/2014Amazing farm-to-table restaurant! Brought my cousins who were visiting from England for a special "bon voyage" dinner, and it was the perfect choice - entrees were fantastic, each a blend of surprisingly scrumptious flavors. But as with my last visit, the most impressive part of the meal was definitely the appetizers. Oh my goodness... the trout dip and watermelon/blueberry creations were worth the trip themselves! :) But we couldn't leave without sharing desserts - although I'm a chocoholic, I chose the fried apple pie (tart) with cinnamon ice cream (yum!) and loved it. Others at the table ordered coconut cake (unlike anything I've ever had) and ginger-fig sorbet - both super tasty. Wish I could visit more frequently... what a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food as food should tastetasteDined on 8/30/2014At the first mouth full the taste of real food, sets off the sensation of this is how food should always taste, the various mixtures of whole food can be identfied the food itself is the star, no additives to cover it up. My daughter and I really appreciated the effort and care with the cooking and the delivery. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightedDined on 8/27/2014Gifted chef fashioned a memorable dining experience. Many other fine chefs out there, but we were immediatelyy aware he is an original when it come to taste sensations. He is a keeper. Piedmont is on our list of favorites. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!JMPinCH2014Dined on 8/24/2014We had dinner at Piedmont before a show at DPAC. It ranked near the top of my favorite dining experience so ever. The food was beautiful and so delicious... we had a compressed watermelon salad which was out of this world and a snapper that was just delicious. Our server was prompt and friendly. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticmmstapleDined on 8/22/2014Imaginative and delicious combinations of fresh, local ingredients. Couldn't recommend more highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best corn soup ever!DukeparentsDined on 8/22/2014Loved the sweet corn soup and the tilefish was delicious. We sat upstairs and the couple next to us knew the management. There was constant loud conversation that made it difficult for us but the food was great. We would give it another try!Special Features:
- New (to Us) Piedmont Is FantasticgluttonthinkshesagourmandDined on 8/22/2014The "old" Piedmont had become one of those restaurants that we enjoyed but it didn't think of for a truly wonderful night out. But, due to an event in downtown Durham, we tried it again last week...and were we surprised. The new chef and management have transformed this restaurant in to a magnificent mecca for great food. The appetizers, the main dishes, the cheese plate....all featuring local-sourced foodstuffs...are great. I really recommend the tomato appetizer and the fish entree...inspired. And though everyone is very helpful and friendly, our server, Brenen, was fantastic...thoughtful, patient, and neither took too much time or too little time with us. Go and discover a reboot that really works!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.